NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

Nope. Don't give a shit about any of those things. Gimme Zelda.

Fair enough.

Thank God Zelda will be available on the WiiU

Great first impressions :)

But

While the display was bright and bold indoors, it didn't fare well outdoors. It was no match for sunlight of any kind, and the screen's high reflectivity was an issue even when it was cloudy. I had a hard time making out anything during dark portions of Zelda

This worries me...I expected better than that.

Streetpass and Miicerse bother me a bit as I thought both were great, lack of video/internet apps doesn't affect me but can certainly see the issue and don't agree with it. VC we'll just have to wait and see about, similar to the online.

So it seems this is once again the only Switch thread you can get some discussion in....

I'm still looking forward to playing Zelda next week but I do wonder what I'm gonna do with the Switch after that with this VC news. I'm not what you would call a Mario Kart fan and already owned 8 on the Wii U so see no need to buy it again. The other games coming either don't interest me or I would buy on other consoles/PC anyway.

Iit's only really my curiosity for new tech keeping me interested at the moment.

After I finish Zelda I'll put the Switch in a drawer until the DLC, Mario or some unexpected third thing and I don't really even care.

After I finish Zelda I'll put the Switch in a drawer until the DLC, Mario or some unexpected third thing and I don't really even care.

Get it out for Binding of Isaac. :D

As a Vita player I have not been able to play it with the Afterbirth+ DLC.

Get it out for Binding of Isaac. :D

As a Vita player I have not been able to play it with the Afterbirth+ DLC.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm actually pretty excited at being able to buy a physical version of the game for Switch (hopefully) and it being the first platform I'll experience the game on finally. :D

I'm hoping that Nintendo have an awesome E3 and I'll get excited after that. At the moment, I'm not even a little bit excited that a new Nintendo system is here a week from now.

Also, the knowledge that I won't be playing Zelda has put me in a state of indifference. I know I won't be playing it, so I'm not excited for it. I didn't enjoy Skyward Sword and I remember the hype surrounding that was off the charts. Due to that, it's not exactly made me eager to play the next one. I don't even think I'll get the WiiU version on the off-chance that we do invest in a Switch in the future. We'll see.

I think it's dangerous that Nintendo are putting all of their eggs in one basket and relying on Zelda.

Agreed. Have been burnt by Zelda post wind waker especially. Also a couple of games are not enough. Will be on Horizon and Mass Effect this month. Maybe Nioh too.

This Zelda is supposed to be the 3D version of the original. Not story wise and all, but open world + high difficulty. I think its going to absolutely destroy. Just like the first one did.

Between Nioh, Horizon, Mass Effect, Persona 5 and Injustice 2 these few months are insane for me.

It's pretty symptomatic of the situation Nintendo are in generally and why I haven't reconsidered for a second picking up a Switch since being excited initially.

And later in the year, how is it going to compete with releases like Destiny 2, Wipeout, Ni no Kuni II and RDR 2? The rate of return on the PS4 at the moment is just too high. And that's before considering that I will barely have enough time for those games (and Overwatch, of course), let alone more.

Between Nioh, Horizon, Mass Effect, Persona 5 and Injustice 2 these few months are insane for me.

This is the issue I have. The past couple of months have been crazy for the PS4. I've been gaming for 30 years and never have a seen a beginning of the year release schedule so jam packed with highly rated games for a single console. I'm currently playing through Nioh, need to finish off Kingdom Hearts DDD HD and then get back to Yakuza 0. I have yet to pick up Tales of Berseria or Digimon and then there's Horizon, Nier, Ghost Recon, Mass Effect and Persona 5 all out in the next few weeks.

This leads me to question whether I should be buying a Switch at launch. There's really only Zelda that I want to play but I could just play that on my Wii U. After that i'm not really interested in anything else that's on the horizon for the console. There's also the fact that there's no VC at launch and the online system isn't even ready. I was talking to my mate about it yesterday and i've honestly never felt so deflated and let down by a Nintendo launch.

I think why i've kept my preorder so far is mainly just due to nostalgia. I've had every Nintendo console/handheld and every console handheld at launch ever since I started working. However, i'm not sure if I can honestly justify it this time. I voted with my wallet when the NES Classic was released ( didn't buy it because i'm sick of Nintendo charging time and time again for games I already own ) so maybe I should continue this practice with the Switch?

I think why i've kept my preorder so far is mainly just due to nostalgia. I've had every Nintendo console/handheld and every console handheld at launch ever since I started working. However, i'm not sure if I can honestly justify it this time. I voted with my wallet when the NES Classic was released ( didn't buy it because i'm sick of Nintendo charging time and time again for games I already own ) so maybe I should continue this practice with the Switch?

Nostalgia would have been one of the reasons why I would have pre-ordered a Switch. I'd say that I'm maybe becoming less nostalgic these days and more about the moment. Nostalgia can only take you so far, imo.

Nostalgia would have been one of the reasons why I would have pre-ordered a Switch. I'd say that I'm maybe becoming less nostalgic these days and more about the moment. Nostalgia can only take you so far, imo.

This is certainly true.

At one time I would have just snapped the Switch up and thought nothing of it but now...I dunno. I guess i'm just getting tired of the same old song and dance that you have to put up with every time Nintendo release a new console.

It starts with the promise of a strong launch ( either said by Nintendo PR or hinted at due to the lack of games in the dying years of their previous console ) that never comes true. There's the higher ups at Nintendo claiming that they have learned their lessons, but this is never the case. Fans claim that this will finally be the time when Nintendo get it together in terms of online gaming, but you are left shaking your head at what actually do as they simply refuse to get with the times in terms of online gaming functionality. It all adds up for a frustrating experience.

I look at this console launch and it just looks rushed. It brings about the question that most people ask at the start of every new Nintendo generation...Just what the hell have they been doing in all the time that they have had since dumping their previous console?

You can all be grumpy while I sit and play Zelda on my shiny Switch on my lunch break ;)

Owning a Switch isn't going to take away from my existing gaming experience any. I still have the PS4. I can't wait to get my hands on one. How well Nintendo does with it doesn't really matter to me anymore.

You can all be grumpy while I sit and play Zelda on my shiny Switch on my lunch break ;)

We grumpy gits can sit and play it on the Wii U and save £300 to spend on other stuff. :heh:

I see what you're saying, though. : peace:

Owning a Switch isn't going to take away from my existing gaming experience any. I still have the PS4. I can't wait to get my hands on one. How well Nintendo does with it doesn't really matter to me anymore.

I feel like Zelda is a game I wouldn't want to waste on lunch breaks. You can't beat a nice TV, good sound system and a few solid hours to get lost in it.

I don't really think it's a case of owning a Switch taking away from existing game experiences, I think it's a case of everything is fighting for my time as it is and I don't need a Switch to add...it's single compelling game...

...that can be played on the Wii U anyway. [Edit: Just realised Hero just said this.]

But I'm totally with you on how well Nintendo doing not really mattering to me, it's always going to be a secondary console. But with that comes the utter lack of need to be an early adopter.

Yeah I'm not really going to play it on my lunch :p Zelda is an awesome, personal, single-player experience for me that I'll close myself off from the world to enjoy.

Will be the fastest selling to 5 million (maybe 10) console ever i think. Very very strong start. Mario will carry it over christmas.

Though it has the same flaws as the Wii (and WiiU). Not a good console imo, its more of a handheld with a very high price tag. Nintendo fans buy anything at any price though. It feels like Nintendo are answering the Vita, 360 and PS3.

I am so glad that I have a PS4. Like @Hero\-of\-Time - keep the pre-order.

We grumpy gits can sit and play it on the Wii U and save £300 to spend on other stuff. :heh:

I see what you're saying, though. : peace:

Whilst I'm certainly not gaming as much as you guys here(so not noticed this apparently splurge of good games) I do find myself increasingly thinking about what I could do with the Switch money instead of a Switch. How many downloadable titles I fancy on PS4 but not at the current price etc; maybe a big retail game or two...just possibilities! Having said that I don't think I've bought anything retail or played much else since Overwatch was in my hands.

Ofc I still think I'm going to get a Switch at some point, so I'm trying to remain behaved; but I do wonder how much further £300 could go elsewhere!

I think as well that @Daft raises quite an interesting point about later in the year when a number of big releases are upon us - will Nintendo be able to remain sensible in that market? I can certainly see a peak in alternative console sales with Destiny 2 coming given some were still playing D1 on last gen's systems, no? Ni No Kuni will no doubt do well, but I'm not sure if it'll match/beat the first's. There's a game I'd love to see on Switch nonetheless though - probably one I'd likely play a lot more with portability too.

Will be the fastest selling to 5 million (maybe 10) console ever i think. Very very strong start. Mario will carry it over christmas.

Though it has the same flaws as the Wii (and WiiU). Not a good console imo, its more of a handheld with a very high price tag. Nintendo fans buy anything at any price though. It feels like Nintendo are answering the Vita, 360 and PS3.

Interesting thought - though I disagree. I think it'll do well with its initial spurt similar to the WiiU but then stall, hard. Maybe we'll see things pick up later in the year with other releases but also see above. Out of interest when do you see it hitting the 5mil/10mil marks? What sort of timeframe is it competing against in former released consoles?

Edited by Rummy

Just paid for my Switch. Hyypppeeeeddddd.

Hyped for;

- No games.

- No VC.

- No Mario until December.

- No information.

- No idea why I purchased it.

- Being a total lad.

- Bomberman :).

Wheeeeey.

What sort of timeframe is it competing against in former released consoles?

I am pretty sure it will be fastest ever console to 5 million. It may also do 10-15 million on hype alone all by christmas. Lets see. It feels like a repeat of the Wii again. Zelda launch is similar too. My expectation is simply due to the sheer amount of hype rather than than boring long term stuff. Below PS4 but faster than any Ps3/360/xbone year.

Just paid for my Switch. Hyypppeeeeddddd.

Hyped for;

- No games.

- No VC.

- No Mario until December.

- No information.

- No idea why I purchased it.

- Being a total lad.

- Bomberman :).

Wheeeeey.

:laughing:

Edited by Choze

I am pretty sure it will be fastest ever console to 5 million. It may also do 10-15 million on hype alone all by christmas. Lets see. It feels like a repeat of the Wii again. Zelda launch is similar too. My expectation is simply due to the sheer amount of hype rather than than boring long term stuff. Below PS4 but faster than any Ps3/360/xbone year.

I think we're on different pages here as I'd resolutely stick a 'U' after the Wii in your post if it were mine :p

We still need figures to compare to anyhow! Couldn't look properly earlier due to being at work and the filters make so much stuff a pain. Had a quick look now but reckon I still need to research a bit more as most of what I find refers to 'best-selling' rather than fastest-selling; can't find any comparison for what's done 5mil except some reference to the 3DS doing 5million in Japan alone in 52 weeks.

Unrelated fact though - was in Sainsburys earlier and perusing the games aisle for the games I never play, sitting just opposite their wall of TVs. Then I hear a familiar ding, and it's Switch?! Turns out it was just a Switch video and branded thing to say you can pre-order at Sainsburys; but was quite interesting to see it being pushed in that manner! Don't know if it's just a general thing Sainsburys do or what but I've not particularly noticed that stuff before!

EDIT: Best so far is VGChartz - is a graph and not clear figures and obviously not sure how/when/where sourced. Wii looks like the steepest start of all the lines, followed by PS4 - but I'm just judging that by eye. http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php?reg=Global&ending=Yearly Nope those lines look too dodgy for me - especially considering the PS4's apparently starts before it was even out?!

Edited by Rummy