NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

It's both. What makes or defines what a home console is? When the Switch is docked and linked to the television, it's the same as if you had a WiiU linked to it.

Whether it is on par with current home consoles should be the question. This will easily be the most powerful handheld up to its point of release, but the part that interests me is how it matches up to other home console systems. This is where memory expansion, OS, additional features, tv/video/streaming services come into play. Right off the bat, we know it won't be capable of playing physical media like blu-rays or DVDs, so that's out.

That they've said how the dock only charges and outputs to the TV, it's the same as a GBA Player. The GBA was considered a handheld and not both.

That they've said how the dock only charges and outputs to the TV, it's the same as a GBA Player. The GBA was considered a handheld and not both.

The GBA player by itself was useless though, was it not? You needed to attach it to the GameCube. The dock by itself is pointless. You can't do anything with the dock unless you attach the Switch to it. The Switch won't attach to any existing consoles like the GBA did with its player.

You can look at it that way if you like, that it's just a handheld with TV-out. It's true and I'm not denying it. But, you could also look at it as both a handheld and a home console. Whichever way you do look at it, the end result is the same. You can start a game on the move before docking it and playing in on the tv. That's the main selling point.

An interview with Kimishima has been posted over on Bloomberg.

Nintendo Co.’s new gaming console Switch is part of a bigger plan that will include more accessories, a deeper lineup of software and possible tie-ups with other technologies.

In his first interview since unveiling the brand-new flagship product, President Tatsumi Kimishima said details about add-ons will be available in the new year. Kyoto-based Nintendo said earlier on Thursday that it will announce pricing and a specific launch date for Switch on Jan. 13, followed by an event where the public can try it out.

“By no means was that everything,” Kimishima said, referring to a video a week ago that introduced the product’s name and showed Switch being used as both a console and portable device featuring modular controllers and accessories. Nintendo’s stock declined after the three-minute clip was released, which Kimishima said was unexpected.

"To tell you the truth, I was surprised," Kimishima said. "I don’t understand why."

Getting Nintendo back on track is a top priority for Kimishima, who became president a year ago after the death of his predecessor, Satoru Iwata. Quarterly results released this week underscore how Nintendo’s core business is getting weaker due to a stronger yen that reduced the income earned abroad, as well as sharp declines in hardware and software sales. Even the success of Pokemon Go wasn’t enough to make up for sluggish sales, which have declined every fiscal year since 2009, when the Wii console was at the peak of its success.

Kimishima suggested that the Switch is part of a bigger ecosystem. "It may be appropriate to call them accessories. Or it might be better to call them add-on hardware. It’s probably more correct to call them accessories. You can assume that there will be a wider array."

The new device features a tablet-like display unit that can dock at home and connect with a TV, or be taken out and about with two detachable controllers. Nintendo is betting the hybrid approach will help the Switch become a hit like the Wii, its most-successful console ever thanks to its motion-tracking controllers.

As for Switch’s software, he said Nintendo made a deliberate decision not to disclose specific titles: "One thing we still can’t show is the software lineup. We want people to touch the device in January and experience the software for themselves."

A dearth of software releases for the Wii U has been cited as one of the reasons the console was never able to match the earlier Wii in sales.

Nintendo envisions many different scenarios where Switch can be used, such as a family, one person alone -- or even by someone who doesn’t have a TV, Kimishima said. "What you see in the video, however, is the core product," he said.

Asked whether Switch would work with hardware from other companies, Kimishima ruled out the possibility for now, but said "we are interested in VR," referring to virtual-reality technology.

"VR offers new ways of playing, but that depends on what kind of software can be played," he said. "If you ask us whether there are any possibilities, we can’t say no. It may be that we will build VR software titles, I think that opportunity is available to us."

Iwata, Kimishima’s predecessor, had frequently mentioned that Nintendo should be able to post annual operating profit of at least 100 billion yen. The last time Nintendo exceeded that threshold was in the fiscal year ending March 2011. On Wednesday, Nintendo cut its operating profit outlook for the current year to 30 billion yen, down from the previous 45 billion yen, citing a stronger yen that weighed on 3DS and Wii U revenue. Asked whether that 100 billion yen threshold was achievable, Kimishima said it was.

“As our previous president has said before, an appropriate level of operating income for Nintendo is that level, and that is what everyone understands,” Kimishima said. “That’s what we want to achieve. Based on various projects and new projects that we have, achieving that result is the premise.”

He declined to give more specific forecasts for the Switch beyond the one disclosed this week, which is that Nintendo will sell 2 million units in its first month after it goes on sale in March. The company sold 5.84 million Wii machines in its first fiscal year. The device that followed it, the Wii U, was less successful, with 3.45 million units shipped.

"In terms of how many units will sell, we’re looking at past examples where competitors, and our own Wii, had a lot of momentum, and that means the first year after it goes on sale will be extremely important."

I guess we can expect a bunch of Joy-Con variations then.

An interview with Kimishima has been posted over on Bloomberg.

I guess we can expect a bunch of Joy-Con variations then.

It's expected, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Things are a bit ridiculous with additional controllers needed, shells, classic controllers, pro controllers, etc. I was hoping Nintendo would leave all that behind, but I guess there's money to be made there.

It's expected, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Things are a bit ridiculous with additional controllers needed, shells, classic controllers, pro controllers, etc. I was hoping Nintendo would leave all that behind, but I guess there's money to be made there.

Yeah, unfortunately that's the case. I imagine there will be one for each of the Virtual Console machines.

I'm the same as you in that I just want one pad and that leave it at that. The fact that i'm going to have to buy another controller at launch ( can't see the pro controller being bundled ) doesn't sit right with me.

I think it will be different with this though because the core functionality never really changes - whether using a pair of Joy Con's or the pro controller the number of buttons is the same. I think if the accessories he's talking about are other Joy Con's then it will likely be an aesthetic thing rather than a functional one. As people have already highlighted some of us would love to get GameCube controller style Joy Cons. I think they will just provide an extra layer of customisation to the consumer, there doesn't seem to be the same confusion around input devices like there was with the Wii and Wii U because they all do the same job this time around.

In reference to LPVG's rumours, not being able to connect external hard drives to the dock seems like a massive oversight. I can understand where Nintendo are coming from in wanting to show the appeal of the Switch as a portable, but I've already heard plenty of people who aren't interested in using the portable aspect and plan on keeping it docked all the time.

If USB HDD connectivity isn't there at launch then it's something thats simple enough to add through a firmware update if Nintendo sees that demand is there.

Edited by killthenet

Ha, it's a bloody handheld. How they're trying to pass it off as a home console I don't know!

As ever, sharing much a sentiment with you man. I've already been considering the whole 'its a home console' thing more a piece of marketing than their actual vision; to now say they're worried that allowing static actual home console implementations will confuse their message totally goes against that for me.

I just don't feel like I can fully trust the message they try to put out and what they say; and that's why I'm probably going to continue to be somewhat apprehensive and sceptical about this machine until I see far far more about it. I want to be leaf, but I just don't think the faith is in me any more :(

As ever, sharing much a sentiment with you man. I've already been considering the whole 'its a home console' thing more a piece of marketing than their actual vision; to now say they're worried that allowing static actual home console implementations will confuse their message totally goes against that for me.

I just don't feel like I can fully trust the message they try to put out and what they say; and that's why I'm probably going to continue to be somewhat apprehensive and sceptical about this machine until I see far far more about it. I want to be leaf, but I just don't think the faith is in me any more :(

Oh it's definitely a handheld, the fact it can output to TV doesn't really change anything (think of the swathes of devices that are portable but can do TV-out - my phone can cast to my TV with no extra hardware and I wouldn't call it a home device). It's a hybrid only in the sense that Nintendo are consolidating their software from two ecosystems into one.

And because it's a handheld, we're not going to get a home console in terms of performance, just like with a laptop versus a PC of the same cost. I personally wouldn't expect every multiplatform game that goes to X1/PS4 to come to this.

More rumours.

According to our source at Nintendo, as well as a source close to the production of the reveal trailer for the Switch, the hardware model shown in the reveal featured a USB-C port for power, situated in the centre of the bottom edge of the tablet. This port will be able to be used to charge the handheld while away from the Switch Dock.

Additionally, both sources have made it clear that the position of the USB-C port on the handheld means you will not be able to charge it while the system is propped up on its kickstand.

Oh it's definitely a handheld, the fact it can output to TV doesn't really change anything
But the Wii U isn't a handheld... what's the difference? This is just a more competent version.

But the Wii U isn't a handheld... what's the difference? This is just a more competent version.

I just don't see how it can be called a home console because it has TV out. To me, that's like saying a laptop is a desktop computer because you can connect it to a TV or monitor with an HDMI cable.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, but it's really not a home console.

I just don't see how it can be called a home console because it has TV out. To me, that's like saying a laptop is a desktop computer because you can connect it to a TV or monitor with an HDMI cable.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, but it's really not a home console.

If I may, I'll extend this laptop analogy.

Laptops were originally considered niche, but are now very widely used, since they have evolved to an extent where, from a functional perspective, people do not use them fundamentally differently to that of a desktop computer. The work I do on a laptop is no different to the work I do on a desktop. They have exactly the same functionality and purpose, only difference is that I can put my laptop in my bag and carry it around with me. Desktops of course will always have a niche because extra power is necessary for certain activities.

Switch is to laptops as PS4 is to desktops.

Personally, if I buy a Switch, I would see myself mostly using it in its docking station hooked up to my TV. So for me, it would primarily be a home console that I could transport, rather than a portable console that I could also stream to my TV.

Anyway, it's all semantics. What's important is how they market the thing, and how they push it in terms of their software output.

If I may, I'll extend this laptop analogy.

Laptops were originally considered niche, but are now very widely used, since they have evolved to an extent where, from a functional perspective, people do not use them fundamentally differently to that of a desktop computer. The work I do on a laptop is no different to the work I do on a desktop. They have exactly the same functionality and purpose, only difference is that I can put my laptop in my bag and carry it around with me. Desktops of course will always have a niche because extra power is necessary for certain activities.

Switch is to laptops as PS4 is to desktops.

Personally, if I buy a Switch, I would see myself mostly using it in its docking station hooked up to my TV. So for me, it would primarily be a home console that I could transport, rather than a portable console that I could also stream to my TV.

Anyway, it's all semantics. What's important is how they market the thing, and how they push it in terms of their software output.

Yeah laptops are the new normal. For the home console maybe some stuff will have to change?

It is worth pointing out that many new laptops being announced are featuring the new Thunderbolt which can run external GPU etc. Even less of a need for desktops long run. On the PC gaming side (wow, league etc. actual pc games) are already heavily laptop biased. Maybe that will happen to consoles?

USB-C? Can't say part of me didn't expect it, but I was really hoping they'd go with Micro-B given how common it is.

It might be common but it's outdated.... You shouldn't stick with old tech because there's more of it! New Androids use USB C, and future devices should to. It transmits data faster, charges faster, is just as cheap and is still a standardised input.

Yeah was expecting it somewhat having seen it more lately, and certainly better than something proprietary as it'll be to the USB standard at least. Was just hoping to avoid having to get too many new cables!

I think Nintendo need to shift their output to be at least 50% new concepts, characters and series for the next generation. They're stagnating and I'm getting bored of a lot of their series now.

Just read your posts and this is exactly how I feel.

I've said it quite a lot in recents months: one of the things that annoy me most about Nintendo is that they have so much potential to bring something new to the table (talking about software, not hardware), however, they don't even remotely draw on that potential.

I really hope that we'll see some of their old magic again with the Switch. BotW still looks like a great start, but Nintendo need to build upon that.

I could play great Mario (+Kart), Zelda and Metroid games until the end of time. They can make new iterations of these three IPs forever and I'd be happy. My problem with them is that the quality of them has declined not through repetition or stagnation but because for some reason they can't seem to see what made the best games so popular.

Isn't the big difference being one can be taken out of the home not requiring a base unit to work.

This is a handheld. It's just a console being taken on the move as a portable sounds better than a handheld being able to play on the TV at home.

I think Nintendo need to shift their output to be at least 50% new concepts, characters and series for the next generation. They're stagnating and I'm getting bored of a lot of their series now.

50%? I agree Nintendo needs more ips but 50% new. Has any publisher which releases the same amount of titles done such a thing. This is a publisher that sells its hardware based on its software output. That many new ip's would be extremely risky and I think unrealistic.

50%? I agree Nintendo needs more ips but 50% new. Has any publisher which releases the same amount of titles done such a thing. This is a publisher that sells its hardware based on its software output. That many new ip's would be extremely risky and I think unrealistic.

Absolutely spot on. From a Business standpoint, that's laughable.

Not every IP does as well as Splatoon, that's the exception to the norm.

Absolutely spot on. From a Business standpoint, that's laughable.

Not every IP does as well as Splatoon, that's the exception to the norm.

It's drastic measures for a company that can barely sell 13 million home console units. They need lots of new IP to serve more than just their existing fanbase.

It's the reason Wii U hardware never increased dramatically when a new big game came out - these games are just selling to the same audience.

It's drastic measures for a company that can barely sell 13 million home console units. They need lots of new IP to serve more than just their existing fanbase.

It's the reason Wii U hardware never increased dramatically when a new big game came out - these games are just selling to the same audience.

The wii u hardware was a major reason for that though. Nintendo could of released plenty new ip's on the wii u and it wouldn't of changed much. There was no saving that console.

The wii u hardware was a major reason for that though. Nintendo could of released plenty new ip's on the wii u and it wouldn't of changed much. There was no saving that console.

Nah... every piece of home console hardware since the SNES has shown this trend. Except for the Wii, which as you often say, was 'bottled lightning'.

Obviously a hybrid console will do better since it is basically a handheld so attracts the usual people who like their handheld offerings. If they want some of the traditional home console gamers then they need to do more.

Nah... every piece of home console hardware since the SNES has shown this trend. Except for the Wii, which as you often say, was 'bottled lightning'.

Obviously a hybrid console will do better since it is basically a handheld so attracts the usual people who like their handheld offerings. If they want some of the traditional home console gamers then they need to do more.

Trend indeed but even the most pessimistic person prior to launch wouldn't of predicted the wii u to sell 13 million and be well below the GC.