NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

Preface

The Other NX Thread might be a bad idea and fail in what I hope to be its “purpose” but I wanted to give it a try.

This thread will most likely contain negativity, criticism and worries about Nintendo and their hardware/software. It will include rumours and facts, talks about older consoles and future possibilities. Circular arguments may very well take up a majority of posts in here. A lot of stuff we’ve already read somewhere else will, in all likelihood, be found in this place.

Comparisons to other companies (most likely Microsoft and Sony) and other games/consoles will be made and I can see how it might become ugly for either of the three big players.

This will also, hopefully, be a place to discuss these matters calmly and rationally, but sometimes emotions will come through because we are passionate about gaming and still hold Nintendo very close to our hearts and want them to play a big part in our hobby again (assuming that Nintendo has lost some of us; a claim that I think isn’t too bold to make).

This is NOT a thread for the likes of Ronnie, dazzybee and anyone else who can’t deal with the above. I don’t want to exclude you from the discussion but we’ve all seen that you don’t like what this will be about so I – for the sake of this thread – would like to encourage you to stay out of here. I apologize for dropping names but everybody would know who I mean, anyway, if I was vague about it.

I know it’s another thread that might split this community in two but to be honest, it already is split. The problem that keeps arising is how both “parties” try to devalue each other’s opinions/posts and in turn move the conversations/discussions away from what they were meant to be about. With The Other NX Thread I hope that the people who would like to voice their worries and criticism can find a place to do so without being attacked but rather be challenged if someone disagrees. Bringing back people into the conversation who have been driven away by the constant bickering is also something I would love to see. Positivity is obviously welcome, too. Nintendo can provide so many things that make gamers happy it would be a shame to let these slide.

tl;dr - a thread about discussing Nintendo’s upcoming hardware/software/anything that will most likely get ugly for the company; leave if you can’t handle this

(why didn't I just post something like this in The Other Wii U Thread? I think creating a new thread will take most of the discussions that isn't welcome in the actual, dedicated thread away much better than a post in an already existing one)

If admins/mods don't think this is a good idea feel free to close/delete this thread.

I would collect rumours/information about the NX that are out there so that we’re all on the same page but I’m too lazy. :p If anybody wants to put some work into it, go ahead.

Now, I don’t really want to express my opinions without anything to go on so I most likely won’t post here unless a conversation about certain aspects is already in progress.

This might also cause a lack of posts in here if nobody wants to “make the first move” (I don’t think this will be a problem, though).

(discussions don’t necessarily have to be about the NX, of course; anything Nintendo related is welcome; maybe even anything about the gaming industry)

: peace:

This thread matches roughly where I'm at with Nintendo, patience-wise. And they have put themselves in this position.

Though I will day one this, if the release window is still suffered by the droughts Nintendo promises to not be about - I will take that as a sign Nintendo has learned diddly-squat.

I will play the shit out of BotW and probably sell it and be about that PS4 life as I wait for FF7 remake and pretty much have everything on one console I've been wishing Nintendo would do for the last 3 generations.

*drops the mic*

Edited by King_V

I personally disagree with the thread to a large extent, though I do acknowledge a number of points and issues made in creating it. I realise we have the 'Other' Wii U thread but I also think that was made in another time in another climate and that really we should be working to iron out whatever these differences/issues are rather than avoiding or skirting around them with threads in different sub-forums.

I also disagree with the naming and finger pointing of members(a point you acknowledge, however). Yes, I realise(as I've said elsewhere) that certain people do not mesh with certain people; but I feel making a post to then name people is almost a veiled disguise to attack them, whether realised/intentional or not. I think in someways the thread itself is an excuse to express the issues and frustrations that we've tried to get to the bottom of before - again it's complicated and whilst individual PoVs exist the interests of fairness and community need to be considered, too. Every single member who posts in this forum appropriately retains that privilege within reason to express his/her point of view as much as the next(exceptional cases made for threads such as these that clearly arise from an issue, but one I'd personally rather try to address than avoid/workaround via another topic/thread).

I don't moderate this forum though, and I express the above more as a member of the community than as a mod, though the latter is built on the foundation of the former. I absolutely have no desire to stifle discussion when it's sane, civil, in good faith and rule-abiding. That's what a forum essentially is and should be. Tbh I'm expressing these sentiments here where it's wildly off-topic because I feel it's slightly relevant and I'm not sure where there's room to express it otherwise right at the moment. I'm happy for the thread to exist/continue but I don't know how much I'll personally contribute as I'd prefer to stick to the one in the actual Nintendo sub-forum(never say never though, so yet we'll see).

#HashtagJustSaying

Edited by Rummy

: peace:

This thread matches roughly where I'm at with Nintendo, patience-wise. And they have put themselves in this position.

Though I will day one this, if the release window is still suffered by the droughts Nintendo promises to not be about - I will take that as a sign Nintendo has learned diddly-squat.

I will play the shit out of BotW and probably sell it and be about that PS4 life as I wait for FF7 remake and pretty much have everything on one console I've been wishing Nintendo would do for the last 3 generations.

*drops the mic*

Why day 1 it with your own reported history of selling and sometimes re-buying consoles? Why not just get it for Wii U - though I'm presuming for that question that you still have one. I just find the idea of buying/re-selling almost a false economy; though I can understand it almost as a slightly more expensive rental, of sorts. I'm just personally not much of a re-seller/trader-inner.

Actually I'd dare even ask you why even Day 1 the system at all, given previous experiences??

I also disagree with the naming and finger pointing of members(a point you acknowledge, however). Yes, I realise(as I've said elsewhere) that certain people do not mesh with certain people; but I feel making a post to then name people is almost a veiled disguise to attack them, whether realised/intentional or not.

To state the obvious: I didn't mean to "attack" them. I just called them out for disrupting conversations in the past (something which is currently happening in the dedicated thread) and I simply wanted them to stay clear of this place in case it takes off (which I doubt will happen but that's fine).

I think in someways the thread itself is an excuse to express the issues and frustrations that we've tried to get to the bottom of before

It's not an excuse to express my frustrations. I partly made this thread just because of that. However, I mostly wanted to get some people to come here and post their thoughts and then respond to them. I just don't want to do that in the dedicated thread for reasons I've stated several times.

I get your points and after having thought about it some more this thread will disappear very soon (not deleted but it wil vanish deep into the later pages of this board).

Tbh I'm expressing these sentiments here where it's wildly off-topic because I feel it's slightly relevant and I'm not sure where there's room to express it otherwise.

That's fine. Maybe it would've been a better idea to have another "let's talk about this place" thread and keep things with the "real" NX thread.

I think this thread here can be closed. I now think it wasn't a good idea at all and it might backfire.

Yeesh, don't pull any punches, huh? I do agree with @Rummy on how this may not be the best way to handle the situation, but if this is what people want.

It's also very hard to say what will happen with the NX, mostly because we know very little actual concrete information. But I know that I'd probably buy it because Nintendo for all their faults, still make games that I love to play. Yes, I understand they need to get more third parties on board and all that. But me? I'm OK with it right now. And Sony and Microsoft just don't offer those kinds of games for me.

Heyheyhey @drahkon, I'm just expressing my thoughts the same as you. Ain't no need to argue or defend either side to the death - I'd hoped I'd left enough openness and optimism in my post to try and get that across. It's good to be open and talk, and as I said I don't have an issue with it to desire a stifling of conversation. I didn't mean anything to be accusatory - it's just how it possibly comes across to me but I still take it, as with many things, with a hearty pinch of doubt!

Why day 1 it with your own reported history of selling and sometimes re-buying consoles? Why not just get it for Wii U - though I'm presuming for that question that you still have one. I just find the idea of buying/re-selling almost a false economy; though I can understand it almost as a slightly more expensive rental, of sorts. I'm just personally not much of a re-seller/trader-inner.

Actually I'd dare even ask you why even Day 1 the system at all, given previous experiences??

Because I'm a glutton for punishment :blush:

I'm largely assuming BotW on NX will be enhanced in some way, so my day oneing is largely due to experience the Zelda that will trump all Zeldas with the best experience possible - that and the potential of a new system and I'm a sucker for new Nintendo consoles...

But Im saying my days of being a Nintendo sucker are numbered based on what they do with the NX.

I don't make a habit of selling my consoles, unless its really just a waste of space in my sitting room and the Wii U was this a few months after launch and people were still paying a good price for it on ebay - so I was much obliged. I've also given a Wii to my sisters and the last Wii U to a young cousin - I guess I just don't like hoarding stuff.

I am really unsure about this but for now I will let this stand but on the basis that a real effort is made to engage in conversations with all parties in here and the other thread.

Will review soon.

Ain't no need to argue or defend either side to the death - I'd hoped I'd left enough openness and optimism in my post to try and get that across.

After I've read your post again twice your point does come across. I simply missed it the first time and responded immediately.

I didn't mean anything to be accusatory

Don't worry, no harm done :)

Because I'm a glutton for punishment :blush:

I'm largely assuming BotW on NX will be enhanced in some way, so my day oneing is largely due to experience the Zelda that will trump all Zeldas with the best experience possible - that and the potential of a new system and I'm a sucker for new Nintendo consoles...

But Im saying my days of being a Nintendo sucker are numbered based on what they do with the NX.

I don't make a habit of selling my consoles, unless its really just a waste of space in my sitting room and the Wii U was this a few months after launch and people were still paying a good price for it on ebay - so I was much obliged. I've also given a Wii to my sisters and the last Wii U to a young cousin - I guess I just don't like hoarding stuff.

Absolutely fair man, I'm just absolutely a hoarder really :p. Don't think I've traded in or sold more than 5-10 games in my life, and even then most have probably been ones I intentionally bought to make some sort of profit on.

Back to NX/BotW I'm not sure we'll see too different an experience between NX and Wii U - I could be wrong but I just think with the potential systems differences there isn't too much room to offer that. I do see some sort of NX specific gimmick for it(ala TP motion swinging) but nothing to really make or break the experience.

If you do decide to get shot of your NX though I think I might know a guy around the South London area....;)

Heh, my days of that have been gone with the Wii U. What I hope is that Nintendo can get me back with the NX.

I won't get this day one because I want to wait and see what will happen. I've believed their promises once and have been disappointed by the Wii U.

It's also very hard to say what will happen with the NX, mostly because we know very little actual concrete information.

This is really annoying. :hmm: We need information and all those rumours aren't helping.

Just as @Happenstance I "seem to bounce between actually interested in getting an NX and just curiosity on what it will be" but the latter is taking the bigger part.

I just worry that my usual "buy anything new" mentality will rear its ugly head when the NX comes out just like it did with the Wii U and I'll end up with a console I dont really want.

Both the 3DS and the Wii U were devices I did not get on launch. It was so weird for me as such a lifelong Nintendo fan not to do that, y'kno?

Some of the NX rumours have me excited though - but I feel we really really need some official news/reveal regarding it. I'm absolutely tempted by it and its hybrid nature depending on the capabilities at home and on the go - but really the killer klincher for me is going to be its online functionality and features. If they are sub-par then it's very unlikely I'm going to pick this thing up unless either a lot of people I know have it, or if I see it going at an exceptionally good price.

Both the 3DS and the Wii U were devices I did not get on launch. It was so weird for me as such a lifelong Nintendo fan not to do that, y'kno?

Both the 3DS and the Wii U were consoles I bought at launch, sold quite early on and then bought again later. I never learn.

If you do decide to get shot of your NX though I think I might know a guy around the South London area....;)

Say no more fam, I got you init. :D

Both the 3DS and the Wii U were consoles I bought at launch, sold quite early on and then bought again later. I never learn.

I bought the 3DS at launch due to absolutely loving the DS (which I imported way back when before UK release). I should probably have waited when it came to the 3DS, looking back. I don't remember there being that many games and it was expensive, and it was a lot of money for a fairly small spec machine.

I remember thinking the 3D feature was cool at first but the lack of the eye tracking or whatever it was to keep the 3D effect stable made me go off it. The small screen size was a bit of a letdown as well.

This is NOT a thread for the likes of Ronnie, dazzybee and anyone else who can’t deal with the above.

Does that mean the regular NX thread won't have any negativity whatsoever and will only be for the likes of... well, just dazzybee and myself?

I find it odd that a "negative" thread needs to be started when pretty much every thread in the Nintendo board is filled with negativity already. But go for it, enjoy....

You should start a positive Nintendo thread that doesn't allow him in.

Start it in your tree house and put a sign on the door saying "No Girls"

Does that mean the regular NX thread won't have any negativity whatsoever and will only be for the likes of... well, just dazzybee and myself?

I find it odd that a "negative" thread needs to be started when pretty much every thread in the Nintendo board is filled with negativity already. But go for it, enjoy....

I think the intention was it could be discussion either way. I get the feeling that drahkon just didn't want you in because you have problems dealing with negativity.

I don't have a problem with negativity, it annoys me greatly that people equate me having an issue with incessant bitching with all negative views, it isn't binary. It's such a lazy come back to that point. But this isn't the place for it.

But just to say - i think it's preposterous nintendo approach to online gaming - more in the modes than anything (no online in pikmin, leaderboards in most of their games etc); I think nintendo are far too far behind the times with regards to services gamers want etc. The NX could fuck up insanely if it has low storage, they don't fix the same old problems, they put too much emphasis on these dual controllers, the lose proper analogue sticks completely etc.

You wouldn't/don't like it when someone calls you absolutely negative as you know your opinions are more nuanced than that, pay the same to others.

tl;dr: THIS PLACE MAN.