NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

NX - One Revival, One Crossover, One Exclusive

Thought this might be a bit of fun while we tumbleweed the NX announcement.

Let's say you could green light three projects for the NX, one of each of the list below, what would they be?

• A revival - a Nintendo franchise that hasn't had a 'traditional' game in over 5 years (i.e. Metroid would count because FF isn't a traditional Metroid game and who knows what we class Other M as but that was 2010 anyway)
  • A crossover - a crossover between a Nintendo franchise and another Nintendo franchise or a third party franchise (e.g. Boom Steet was a cross between Nintendo and Dragon Quest)
  • An exclusive - a third party title (either a realistic expectation such as another Tomb Raider or a desire such as a new Squenix RPG) that would be exclusive to NX

What would be on your list and why?

Seeing as we're unsure as to whether or not this is a handheld or a console (or even a hybrid!), I'm going to split this in two.

Handheld

Revival - Advance Wars with the second generation cast (Advance 1, 2 and Dual Strike) but with a gritty, post apocalyptic scenario in similar fashion to Days of Ruin. Not exactly a huge revival but the absence of the series on the 3DS has definitely been felt by quite a few of us on the board and, I'm not sure how the rest feel, but I felt that although the gameplay had taken a hit with the most recent addition, the story direction improved but the characters were just a bit too fresh and I felt a stronger connection to those in the past games.

It would be great to see it playable in two different modes, so we retain the original turn based strategy elements but with an option to play it as if it were Battalion Wars also.

Crossover - I'm going to go there. Pokemon x Shin Megami Tensei. It would never happen, but I would love to see it. My idea for it takes a bit of inspiration from the (not so successful) bid to create two versions of the Street Fighter and Tekken collaboration (of which the Tekken heavy version will probably never arrive). So you would have Pokemon X MegaTen which is probably the most likely scenario as there was a game known as SMT: Devil Children which was aimed specifically at a younger audience to compete with Pokemon. The idea of bribing a wild Pikachu with a bottle of ketchup would be great.

Conversely, there would be SMT X Pokemon, which would finally offer a more mature narrative for a Pokemon game aimed at older gamers (which already play Pokemon, let's not kid ourselves, it's not exactly a market that needs breaking). There are so many things inherently wrong on a moral level in the Pokemon world and this would let them explore a little bit of that, something I have a lot of respect for Black and White for.

Exclusive - The World Ends With You 2. There is no need for an explanation here.

Console

Revival - Mother. It would be great if they could finally explore what they were hoping to accomplish with the 64DD. It could be a remake for all I care, and it would be a great opportunity to release it all worldwide.

Crossover - Xenoblade and Phantasy Star. This is quite a hard one to explain as the Xenoblade series is looking like it'll go in many different directions and there isn't going to be connecting the series as a whole and they'll all have different settings. I would love to see Phantasy Star be handled by Monolith with an open world setting like that in Xenoblade Chronicles X, heck, I always thought it shared a lot in common with Phantasy Star Online any way in setting. Another example is the hints that they could go for a Medieval setting in the next game, which would work awesomely if they incorporated it into the original Phantasy Star games released on the Master System and Mega Drive. The setting was a mix of what felt futuristic yet had a slightly rural feel, it's quite hard to describe but any one else who has played may be able to explain the setting a little better. The best I can liken it to is someone in the 1600s writing a sci-fi novel.

Exclusive - A sequel to the Chrono series. Because it needs to be done.

Revival - Metroid 5 Continuing where Metroid Fusion left off, takes Samus back to her 2D roots but with the most amazing art style imaginable in HD, brand new planet to explore, incorporates all of the advancements the series has made including all of the Prime games but carrying over in a meaningful way to two-dimensional play. :awesome:

Crossover - Pocket Monster Hunter Pokémon crossed with Monster Hunter, so much potential. :heh:

Exclusive - Phantasy Star Online 2: NX Edition After many long years of waiting, Europe finally gets a console version of PSO2 tailored to the NX, it would contain either all of the content released to date or a trimmed-down version with all of the best bits and none of the extra micro-transactions... subscription or bust! This or PSO in HD or Phantasy Star V... not that I'm asking for much. ;)

Revival: Wave Race

Crossover: Theatrythm Zelda

Exclusive: A Resident Evil 4 quality/style Resident Evil game.

I thought this was going to be easy but this thread has just helped to highlight just how many great franchises I want to return!

REVIVAL Metroid My first thought was actually Wave Race, like @dazzybee, but I decided it may be better suited to a crossover, as I'll soon explain :heh: As for Metroid, I'd love to see another attempt at an Other M-style adventure. I keep getting an urge to play through it again, having enjoyed it first time around, but it would be great to see an even better game without the issues that frustrated certain players and a control scheme not hampered by attempting to fit everything onto a sideways Wii Remote :smile:

CROSSOVER Wave Race & 1080 These two great but underused franchises are already partially linked by Ricky Winterborn and Akari Hayami (despite some age discrepancies in the instruction manuals :indeed:) so it would be awesome to revive both extreme sports in one game with a cast of characters that could appear across things like Excitebike and Pilotwings, too :hehe: In fact, combining all of these titles into one package wouldn't be bad, either :heh:

EXCLUSIVE ISS/Pro Evolution Soccer With a lack of any football games on Wii U (the awful FIFA 13 doesn't count) and FIFA dominating on other formats, it's time for Konami to bring one of these titles back to Nintendo exclusively :grin: Exclusive or not, though, I just need a great football game to play with friends without the need for another console.

REVIVAL - F-Zero: Nintendo have been teasing us for far too long now. I want my 30 player online, spherical planetoid gravity busting futuristic racer already!

CROSSOVER - Mario VS Sonic: The Platformer: The olympics are nice and all, but we all know that what we really want is to see ol' Red & Blue in a proper, Nintendo made platform game! SEGA can take care of the music though, their music department is rad.

EXCLUSIVE - Yooka Laylee sequel/Playtonic's next game: The first Yooka Laylee game is looking fantastic thus far and is coming to Wii U alongside other platforms, but how fantastic would it be to see Nintendo secure Playtonic exclusivity and throw a sizable budget their way? :D

Edited by Dcubed

Revival - F-Zero: There's a big gap in the market for a futuristic racer and this game could easily fill it. Use F-Zero GX as a starting point, add a host of online features and the job is done.

Crossover - Mario & Sonic: Enough of the olympic games! It's time for a proper platformer/adventure game for these two iconic characters. The Sonic sections would be in 2D and the Mario ones in 3D.

Exclusive - Final Fantasy VI Remake: With FFVIIR getting a makeover, it would be great to see S-E revisit another highly rated FF game. While FFVII is synonymous with the Playstation brand, it's Nintendo that gets thought of when people speak about FFVI. This would be a huge get for the console and Nintendo as a whole.

• Revival - WarioWare D.I.Y. This may not count seeing as Game & Wario appears to be considered part of the WarioWare series (even though it probably shouldn't :hehe:) but anyway, a new WarioWare D.I.Y. would be amazing, especially if it were to be released for the launch of NX. A lot of games which focus on UGC tend to get released toward the end of a consoles lifespan, but if it was the other way around it'd obviously mean more content being produced for a longer period of time. ;)

• Crossover - Wii Music x Jam with the Band
    An unpopular choice this no doubt. :heh: But anyone that actually spent some time with Wii Music (and that is also familiar with JWTB) will know just how awesome this combo could be. The biggest problem with Wii Music (despite what the gaming press would have you believe) was its limited track selection. Opening it up so that anyone can compose and upload songs for others to perform would make it infinitely replayable! :bouncy:

• Exclusive - Was going to go with Bayonetta 3, but for even better value for money decided to go with Monster Hunter 5. :awesome:
    Love it or hate it, MH has now established itself on Nintendo platforms, and it has become a pretty great asset for Nintendo. Not only does it provide something meaty for veteran gamers to get their teeth into, the recent additions have also made it more accessible than ever. Nintendo would be very wise to try and keep hold of MH for as long as possible. :smile:

Revivals are the only thing I really have an opinion on. Crossovers feel gimmicky and I have no love for exclusive titles.

Full 3D, single player (focused) Mario

I don't want to dredge up the whole SM3DW debate so I hope I've narrowed this down enough. Galaxy 2 came out in 2010 so it fits. I want more Mario, with an overworld and secrets and replayability. I want the kind of game people are still speedrunning in twenty years time. Basically I want Super Mario 64 2.

OR

Metroid

2D Metroid titles should be reserved for the 3DS, it's the perfect platform for it. I don't want the capability of a console wasted like I (personally) feel it is with the likes of Super Mario Bros games or Sonic 4. I want a gimmick-free new 3D Metroid game that captures that stunning atmosphere from the first Metroid Prime. No cheesy anime style storylines, let us discover the game as we go.

Revival - Metroid: Yet Another M

I find it a bit weird stating this because I don't think Metroid is dead, but ah well.

Yes, I know Other M is... Controversial, but I truly believe that the gameplay is solid. Take that gameplay, tweak it a tad (Analogue movement, no stupid pixel hunts, actually finding upgrades, etc) and I think you could get a great Metroid out of it.

Leave out the story though, no-one wants it, even if I think it's bloody hilarious.

Honestly, the 5 year limitation kinda put a dampener on the actual game I would want.

Big budget Dillon's Rolling Western game

The things I would do to get this to happen.

So before Zelda, I'm sure some people would have liked Ninty to tackle an open-world kind of game. Yeah, yeah. Zelda's going there and that's all very nice. But personally I would have preferred them to take more of a risk and try it with a less popular IP.

Dillon's Rolling Western would fit this genre like a glove. Nintendo's take on Red Dead Redemption except with a character who's a million times cooler. (Don't argue, it's true.)

Take the top notch character design, make the combat fast and action based, (Kinda like a Platinum action game) with all sorts of shenanigans revolving around the concepts of "Who needs Guns? Dillon is the weapon" and I think you could get a solid game out of it. But it's never gonna happen, and that gives me a sad.

Crossover - Pocket Monster Hunter

@S\.C\.G knows what's up.

If there was ever a recipe for free money, this is it. Japan might actually explode from sheer excitement though. But it's worth the risk.

Take the Basic Monster Hunter formula, replace said monsters with big Pokemon like Tyrantrum and Braviary. Have a selection of smaller Pokemon for the player to play as. (Obligatory Pikachu option of course, but 1 Pokemon for each type would be nice, as long as Kecleon is the normal type choice. Because eff you, that's why)

And naturally, Legendary Pokemon can serve the roles of Elder Dragons. Solgaleo is basically a Teostra anyway.

It seems so perfect but Pokemon Company would never go with it. Which is a shame.

Exclusive - Half Life 3

Honestly, I don't care one bit for the series. But after the hilarious uproar of Bayonetta 2 being a WiiU exclusive. I'd love a similar scenario for the NX.

Because internet outrage over Ninty stepping in and funding a doomed sequel is the best kind of outrage. (I mean, how dare they save Bayonetta 2 from the depths of hell, how bloody dare they!?)

Honestly, there's a few games that would cause a similar reaction. I'd want any of those.

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

REVIVAL - F-Zero: Take F-Zero GX, remaster the graphics and add an online mode, easy!

CROSSOVER - Nintendo vs Capcom vs Sega. Give the Smash series a break until the later years of the NX. Throw money at Capcom to develop this, Sega wouldn't need much convincing to include their characters.

EXCLUSIVE - Resident Evil 2 Remake (Timed Exclusive)

Revival. Ice Climbers. With gameplay elements similar to Tomb Raider, but with a better-feeling open world (and never requiring fast travel to backtrack). More of the Metroidvania stuff, too (Tomb Raider is, IMO, a Metroidvania, after all) but more puzzles and platforming similar to N64-era platformers (not latch-onto-wall platforming), with puzzles using both climbers.

Crossover. Mario Vs Sonic. A massive celebration covering many different styles. So you have Zone 1-1 in glorious 3D Sonic Generations-style or Planet Wisp in a Mario Galaxy-style gameplay.

Exclusive. Beyond Good & Evil 2. It was rumoured at one point, and it could be a similar solution to Bayonetta 2. Something that may not be made without help from Nintendo.

Revival: 3D Mario game. Something similar to what @Shorty described (maybe from Retro?). I'd also love a new Metroid, but I think Mario is a best system seller at launch.

Crossover: Kirby x Xenoblade. A story driven RPG like Xenoblade Chronicles, but starring Kirby. Battle arts would be obtained by copying enemies, and you would need to choose which ones you want to learn (with a points system to learn and upgrade them). Skills and companions would be similar to Wii's Xenoblade.

Exclusive: 3D Castlevania. A dark game, in the lines of Castlevania 64.

Crossover: Kirby x Xenoblade. A story driven RPG like Xenoblade Chronicles, but starring Kirby. Battle arts would be obtained by copying enemies, and you would need to choose which ones you want to learn (with a points system to learn and upgrade them). Skills and companions would be similar to Wii's Xenoblade.

Oh god damnit! Now I want this! It's just like when I played that sub-game in Mass Attack! But this idea is inspired.

Revival: Pilotwings.

Yes, it has been five years since Pilotwings Resort, and while that was good and fun, it was nothing on 64 or the SNES one. Bring that back with a solid online scheme, perhaps even with other players doing their stuff (sort of like how Ubisoft is doing Steep)

Crossover: Pokémon X Monster Hunter

Not as dark as Monster Hunter where you're skinning Pokémon, but an action RPG like that where you're exploring, maybe as a Pokémon using their moves to defeat others

Edit: Didn't see there were already two for this. Great minds think alike, eh? @Glen\-i & @S\.C\.G.

Exclusive: Call of Duty

I want to watch the world burn

Edited by Serebii

Crossover: Pokémon X Monster Hunter

Not as dark as Monster Hunter where you're skinning Pokémon, but an action RPG like that where you're exploring, maybe as a Pokémon using their moves to defeat others

But we can still rob Slowpoke of their tails, right? Need that stamina boost.

More of the Metroidvania stuff, too (Tomb Raider is, IMO, a Metroidvania, after all)

Yep, sorry, just have to jump in to disagree. Tomb Raider (classically) is a linear experience; it's 3D Prince of Persia.

Metroidvania games are much more about an open world design where your progression is blocked off from certain areas by not having certain items. It's much more RPG-like. And the definition is almost always used to describe a 2D game.

If you want to start stretching the definition then Zelda would be far more a Metroidvania game then Tomb Raider. But it's not :p

Revival: Another Code/Hotel Dusk (I know but Nintendo could easily buy these rights as Cing is no more) - I think Nintendo need something puzzly, story and character driven that can appeal to both the West and the Asian audiences. This needs to an be adult focused game and dripping intrigue, mystery and probably pretty dark. Think Stranger Things.

Crossover: LEGO Zelda. Would love see LEGO's appeal open up Zelda to a whole different group of people. Would allow it to take the mic out of itself properly and most imporantly.... real life LEGO Zelda play sets.

Exclusive: Whatever it is that That Game Company are making next.

Yep, sorry, just have to jump in to disagree. Tomb Raider (classically) is a linear experience; it's 3D Prince of Persia.

I'm talking about the newer two. You often backtrack to previous areas and can reach new places due to equipment you've found - due to this it feels a lot like Metroid Prime at times (but it is ultimately more linear), as well as having lots of hidden stuff to find once you have the later items.

Revival Metroid

Cross-over Waverace x 1080

Exclusive GTA... because that would be beyond mental.

I'm talking about the newer two. You often backtrack to previous areas and can reach new places due to equipment you've found - due to this it feels a lot like Metroid Prime at times (but it is ultimately more linear), as well as having lots of hidden stuff to find once you have the later items.

Ok, I see what you're getting at but even so, Metroidvania does tend to mean 2D.

Edit: Didn't see there were already two for this. Great minds think alike, eh? @Glen\-i & @S\.C\.G.

They certainly do. As evidenced by...

Exclusive: Call of Duty

I want to watch the world burn

It's pretty much the same mentality I had. It'd be way too funny watching people lose their minds over something like this.

It's pretty much the same mentality I had. It'd be way too funny watching people lose their minds over something like this.

Maybe a few Call of Duty's ago. While I think it would still be quite shocking it wouldn't have nearly as much impact now given how COD popularity is on the decline.

Maybe a few Call of Duty's ago. While I think it would still be quite shocking it wouldn't have nearly as much impact now given how COD popularity is on the decline.

Oh, I never considered that. You're gonna have to work with me here. I can't stand first person shooters in general, so I have no clue as to how CoD is doing these days.

Anyway, I suggested Half-Life 3 for the same reason Serebii suggested CoD. It'd be very, very funny. (And I guess it'd be a nice exclusive, but I wouldn't play it)

Typical spite-filled Nintendo fans who just want to watch the world burn :heh:

Sign in to follow this