NEurope
Ashley

Self Improvement

I'm all for constantly striving to be a better person, so how are you currently doing it? Hitting the gym? Studying? Volunteering? Quitting a bad habit?

As well as learning more game development stuff, I'm also trying to learn Italian (and slowly/casually also PT-Portuguese). It's had an impact on my gym stuff, but I'm starting to question if I should carry on doing that in its current capacity anyway.

(I've also either made this thread before or certainly thought about it so I guess I should try and improve my memory).

I am, as always, trying to improve my self-esteem, and I do feel like I've been making progress. I'm also currently taking the first steps to dealing with some of my anxiety (some of which is, unsurprisingly, related to my self-esteem).

I am, as always, trying to improve my self-esteem, and I do feel like I've been making progress. I'm also currently taking the first steps to dealing with some of my anxiety (some of which is, unsurprisingly, related to my self-esteem).

You're so awesome though and that new do though! :)

For me, I want to be a personal trainer or do something in the fitness world. I always thought that it wouldn't be a possibility but now knowing I have what it takes, I'm striving towards it. I'm going to try and work where I am for another year so I can gather a couple of qualifications that will help me towards getting into a fitness course as well as saving up a load of dosh and then get a part-time job (or decrease my hours if I'm allowed) and focus on getting my level 4 personal trainer qualification. I know it'll cost a couple of grand but the qualifications from work will help and also working for yourself = win!

On top of this, I'm also going to focus on my writing. Something I have lacked time for. However now that I'm not in a good position, I figured now could be a good time and also a good time to plan some form of timetable to take time out.

Oh and I'm still learning Urdu. Funnily enough, I find it easy learning sentences but I'm having difficulty learning the alphabet!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

There's a fair bit that I'm doing, but it's finding the time to fit it all in. The one I stick to the most is definitely working out/exercising. That's ingrained in me now as something that I just do. I feel mega-lazy when I go through a period where I'm not exercising, such as when I'm ill or away from home.

Aside from that, I'm still learning both Flemish/Dutch and Spanish. It's hard trying to find the time to get better at these though, so I need to put more of an effort in to improve here.

I recently started playing keyboard and it actually makes a lot of sense to me as an instrument than, say, the guitar does. Something about it is clicking and it's encouraging me to try to get better at it. I think I'm actually going to almost time-table my life around exercise and music now, so maybe I should force myself to play an hour of music every day, just like I do exercise most days. I guess it's the only way I'll get better.

@Ashley, along with your Confidence thread, I'm liking this series of thought provoking topics. :)

I always try to improve myself, I hate going on and on about Taekwondo but a big benefit gain from competition (all sports really) is the constant goals you set for yourself after each competition for example. Part of why its so hard to out-right leave the sport, and possibly why other athletes have a hard time dealing with post-competitive life.

But other areas include: Strength training (actually today just met my personal best of a 210kg squat for 5x5 sets), learning Norwegian (along with aspirations to emigrate there) and perfecting my field of work by training in the software outside of working hours (computer-aided design).

Aside from that, I'm still learning both Flemish/Dutch and Spanish. It's hard trying to find the time to get better at these though, so I need to put more of an effort in to improve here.

How are you learning?

I'm currently trying to use Duolingo and Memrise as daily memory tests and learning new content and trying to move this content over to Anki (flashcard software) and then trying to slot these in scattered throughout the day (e.g. Memrise at lunch if I'm at work, Anki when I got a spare few minutes and then Duolingo in the evening). Plus I'm trying to use grammar books to learn the underlying rules and random youtube videos now and then.

What I'm struggling with is figuring out any kind of progress...flow? I suppose it would help if I tried to follow some kind of structure like they do in classrooms but I'm making it up as I go along really.

@Ashley, along with your Confidence thread, I'm liking this series of thought provoking topics. :)

I feel bad I actually forgot to follow that thread up.

Suppose I'm just thinking a lot about various aspects of life at the moment. We'll chalk it up to Saturn's return.

With languages I've found audiobooks to be very effective. I use Pimsleur's Norwegian which consists of x30 30 min tracks with a nice progression. I listen to one track twice a day; in the morning on my commute to work and as soon as I leave work - that's pretty much the only tool that has improved my speaking and listening skills to beginner-intermediate level.

I'm focusing on career goals at the moment. Currently doing a professional course to improve my career prospects. Looking to change jobs next year.

I should get back on fitness improvements. I did do well for a few years, regular exercise and a slightly improved diet. I lost a stone and a half. Since then I've stagnated though. My diet is really good (thanks to living as a couple rather than my own volition) but I do no exercise anymore. The only exercise I do is walking to work daily (about 3 miles round trip). It's not a lot, but when I started walking to work over a year ago I noticed my weight improve. At the time I was exercising regularly (gym, football, badminton) but wasn't seeing much improvement after I'd lost a stone. But adding walking to my regime helped me lose that last half a stone. I would like to lose another half a stone, and also gain more muscle, but it's not a hugely important goal so I've lost the motivation.

With languages I've found audiobooks to be very effective. I use Pimsleur's Norwegian which consists of x30 30 min tracks with a nice progression. I listen to one track twice a day; in the morning on my commute to work and as soon as I leave work - that's pretty much the only tool that has improved my speaking and listening skills to beginner-intermediate level.

I sometimes put on Italian radio at work. My friend said he'd recommend some podcasts and I need to chase him up on that.

Thankfully a number of my friends are Italian (most of the reason I'm learning) so I sometimes call them up and speak in Italian or exchange voice messages and that kind of stuff.

Keep meaning to rewatch a few Italian films I have seen a number of times as well. Oh and English films with Italian subtitles. I'll go check my collection before I forget again!

I sometimes put on Italian radio at work. My friend said he'd recommend some podcasts and I need to chase him up on that.

Thankfully a number of my friends are Italian (most of the reason I'm learning) so I sometimes call them up and speak in Italian or exchange voice messages and that kind of stuff.

Keep meaning to rewatch a few Italian films I have seen a number of times as well. Oh and English films with Italian subtitles. I'll go check my collection before I forget again!

Do you go out to Italy often? I find that helps, especially with Italian tv being like 95% Italian only.

Went earlier this year but first time in years.

Am spending about a week with an Italian friend and his family though next month.

Would like to go more but trying to see new places.

A good few years ago now, I took the "Yes Man" approach to gaining confidence and just agreed to go to any event that sounded fun. I said yes, then worried about being shy/nervous when the time came. Eventually I stopped being as shy.

That approach has been awesome, as it lead me to take part in Extra Life, the NE Meats, various car shows, and I've met a tonne of great people through it all.

I genuinely believe that just saying "fuck it" and doing whatever seems like fun, whilst ignoring what could go wrong, is the best attitude to have. Worst case scenario, you have an interesting story to tell people. Maybe once the embarrassment has worn off, obviously.

A good few years ago now, I took the "Yes Man" approach to gaining confidence and just agreed to go to any event that sounded fun. I said yes, then worried about being shy/nervous when the time came. Eventually I stopped being as shy.

That approach has been awesome, as it lead me to take part in Extra Life, the NE Meats, various car shows, and I've met a tonne of great people through it all.

I genuinely believe that just saying "fuck it" and doing whatever seems like fun, whilst ignoring what could go wrong, is the best attitude to have. Worst case scenario, you have an interesting story to tell people. Maybe once the embarrassment has worn off, obviously.

Reminds me of this great book I read, something like "Feel the Fear, but do it anyway" - When it comes down to it, its fear that's always at the root of the shit in our lives.

Oh and English films with Italian subtitles. I'll go check my collection before I forget again!

Ironically the one film I own that has Italian dub and sub is the Veronica Mars movie. Obviously.

Few films have Italian subs. Most have Spanish (because they're American) which will come in useful when I finally get round to that.

Yeah it is terribly difficult to do at first, but when it comes to something like self confidence you just have to throw yourself into it. Most degrees nowadays require at least one or two presentations which should be considered a safe space (I know people don't feel that way sometimes, but really it's a low-risk scenario). I'm grateful that my masters required me to act, film myself doing stupid things and give less of a fuck. I did an improv class a few years ago which was scary but a lot of fun.

Saying that I still get struck by a lack of confidence and impostors syndrome when I go to some events.

Saying that I still get struck by a lack of confidence and impostors syndrome when I go to some events.

As I'm getting older, I'm starting to think that everyone has doubts and low confidence and it's just that some people hide it better than others/express it in different ways.

A prime example is the salespeople at my work. They're all super-confident, alpha male types, but they all spend everything they have on suits, grooming products and financed Mercedes/BMWs etc. If that doesn't reek of insecurity, I don't know what does.

And that's fine, because we all do stuff out of insecurity. I personally spend ages taking/editing photos and posting them on all my social media, all the while hoping people will validate it by liking/commenting on them. But that insecurity has driven me to get better at photography in order to post better photos.

I think as long as you can understand your insecurities and channel them into something productive, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Fake it 'til you make it and then question what the fuck it is you just did, how you did it and why people give you any respect whatsoever.

Perpetuate the lie.

Seek imposter syndrome.

I've been told I'm very confident but no one else is going to be confident for me. You have to do that shit for yourself.

To paraphrase...

Break free, expand into to new territories and crash through barriers – painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh… well, there it is; if you want something, go after it.

HashtagMotivationMonday

At the moment, I'm less trying to self-improve and more trying to set my house in order after a long 28 years.

Just working out would be good for me, or cooking for myself more. But I'm incredibly lazy and depressed, I can't find the motivation to do anything anymore. I always have such grand aspirations but when the time comes to do it I feel tired and weak and make excuses and then just... don't.

I'm probably undereating which isn't helping....

Starting to think that getting rid of my games consoles might be the only way to make a real change in my life.

Just working out would be good for me, or cooking for myself more. But I'm incredibly lazy and depressed, I can't find the motivation to do anything anymore. I always have such grand aspirations but when the time comes to do it I feel tired and weak and make excuses and then just... don't.

I'm probably undereating which isn't helping....

Starting to think that getting rid of my games consoles might be the only way to make a real change in my life.

Definitely work on the eating thing first! Otherwise you'll find yourself quite ill when going and doing exercise. Good luck I'm sure you can do it!

Mostly I'm working on:

1. Trying not to be too angry at everything

2. Stop caring about things so much (but not go the opposite way)

3. Try to look after me more, not exercising and eating right, but trying to do better with my hair, nails and stop being so fucking cheap about it

This year has been about changing a lot of things and habits I had and improving them. Biggest for me was that I always had a sweet tooth growing up but over the last couple of months, I've managed to kick that and have massively improved my diet. I've not full on become vegan but my diet has drastically changed over the last year to reduce a lot of the processed and crap stuff that I was eating and integrated a lot more healthy meals, I'm cooking a lot more and experimenting with different stuff but mainly, I've become more conscientious about the food I'm eating, where it's coming from and what's in it particularly because I feel strongly about some of the issues behind food production.

But that last bit aside (as it itself could warrant it's own topic and extends beyond food), it's a massive improvement that's left me feeling healthier in mind and body. And it's definitely something I was needing to improve upon.

The thing that I need to crack on with is getting out of my head as I'm really bad for over thinking things which leads me to put off doing things or just not doing certain things. I try to follow a "fuck it, I'll give it a go" ethos and for the most part, I manage as I won't put up with people being two-faced and or with any of the bitching behind people's backs that comes with workplaces (I firmly believe it should be aired it front of them) but I'm still working to make sure I stay less in my head and in the real world.

Doing things like spending more time reading, listening to more music and going for walks helps in that respect and I've improved a lot on that front over the last year or so, so that I'm not just sitting around on the computer or my phone.

Exercise is something that I need to improve on to help fill out this part but getting the improved diet in place was the most important aspect that I needed so that is next. That and perhaps just jumping on some of the ideas I have of writing a blog about various bits and pieces, maybe experimenting with doing vlogs and such. I don't know. I'm very quick to say what I'd like to do but slow to act on it so that's something that I could do with improving.

Fake it 'til you make it and then question what the fuck it is you just did, how you did it and why people give you any respect whatsoever.

Perpetuate the lie.

Seek imposter syndrome.

[tweet]766279037262172160[/tweet]

I'm trying to better myself careerwise but everything seems to cost money, which is something I don't have much of. The legal secretary course I took cost me and I currently have nothing to show for it, despite applying for solicitors every week. I've bought a mic, trying to get into some voiceover/acting work, but that's not paying off either.

The learning of the saxophone has taken a back seat at the moment, but at least I have one.

Kinda stuck in a rut at the moment. I want to break out of retail, which is why I've not really looked at similar positions, but it's the experience cycle which halts me from going any further. And I really don't want to go into management. Not at Tesco anyway.

Just got a 30 day streak in Duolingo and 40% (then 41%) in Italian.

giphy.gif

Feels good. Some things feel like they're sticking. Although I listened to some of Mio fratello è figlio unico earlier and couldn't keep up so maybe not!

Also feels like remember the windows alt codes for accented characters for Italian and my various Iberian friends is a challenge in itself.

How are you learning?

I'm currently trying to use Duolingo and Memrise as daily memory tests and learning new content and trying to move this content over to Anki (flashcard software) and then trying to slot these in scattered throughout the day (e.g. Memrise at lunch if I'm at work, Anki when I got a spare few minutes and then Duolingo in the evening). Plus I'm trying to use grammar books to learn the underlying rules and random youtube videos now and then.

I'm using Duolingo at the moment and am enjoying it. For Spanish, I used the Paul Noble CDs a year or so ago and thought they were fantastic. The problem I'm finding is actually the next step. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the right sort of level, since I'm past the beginner stage in both. A lot of resources out there seemed to be aimed fully at the beginner level, whereas I need the stuff aimed at intermediate. I'll check our Memrise and Anki!

I've found this for Dutch Pimsleuer and am tempted to have a look at it. Are they aimed at newcomers to the language or do they progress up from that? I've had a look at Linguaphone for Dutch and it looks absolutely amazing...but it's almost £200!

I've found this for Dutch Pimsleuer and am tempted to have a look at it. Are they aimed at newcomers to the language or do they progress up from that? I've had a look at Linguaphone for Dutch and it looks absolutely amazing...but it's almost £200!

Very much aimed at newcomers - I literally couldn't hold a sentence in Norwegian before it - but because the course focuses on the base or root of conversation, it gives me a confidence to be a bit more dynamic with the language.

It will seriously help you with your Dutch!

I've tried so many others but Pimsluers has been the most engaging and easy to use for me. I bought mine for about £95 in 2012 and it has been totally worth it ever since.

Learning lots of real life practical skills. Have done the DIY thing to death and pretty much can cope with most non electrical non plumbing problems. Learning how to sew next.

Languages are not for me at all.... my memory is just not built for linguistics lol