NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Stranger Things

I've seen a few people mention this show already in various threads, so I thought I'd start a new one and we could all talk about it in one place.

We just started watching this yesterday. I'm really enjoying the vibes of it all. It sort of reminds me of those old coming of age films like Stand By Me and The Goonies. The way they've filmed it to get that retro look is great and I'm also digging the soundtrack. :D

About to start the third episode in a second.

I keep meaning to start this but I can't drag myself away from the Olympics!

Will be a priority to start next week when it's all over!

Ehhh. It was okay. I was at my parents one weekend and they had just started Episode 2 (I'd only seen the first episode and decided I didn't care enough to watch more.) long story short I was there long enough we finished the series. Its a good show, but I'd prefer more Arrested Development or Knights of Sidonia from Netflix.

It's pretty excellent. Great acting from the young cast members and a solid soundtrack. I really enjoyed the concepts explored and the different callbacks to so many movies I love.

Duffer Bros, please give me more.

It's by no means original, or great... but it certainly is entertaining and worth a watch. It has left me wanting season 2 too.

I thought it was absolutely amazing. I'm surprised by people calling it unoriginal, I feel like you're maybe missing the point there. It's a callback to childhood of the 80s, to classic sci-fi. It's meant to be derivative but at the same time deliver something modern and episodic. It's an homage to Stephen King and puts new twists on the old Cold War conspiracy theories. Even if you think it's been done before, the truth is it hasn't for a very long time, certainly not the way other themes are revisited ad infinitum (detective stories, powers/abilities, mafias etc).

The acting, characters and visuals are all top notch and I love watching anything set before the Internet and smart phones. Can't wait for more.

Using spoiler tags, what did people assume the ending meant?

Edited by Shorty

I keep seeing friends and such posting about it on Facebook and have heard a lot of good things about it. Decided to watch a trailer to see what was what and it looks great from the little bit I've seen there. Getting a very Goonies-esque feel from bits of it but mixed with the "narrative" that ran through a couple of the videos for singles from the Hurry Up, We're Dreaming M83 album so it's piqued my interested.

Have sorted out my free trial for Netflix as I've not done it till now so that I can give this a go. Plus, there's plenty of other things on Netflix that I'm interested in watching (Jessica Jones looks interesting as does The Get Down) as well as getting a chance to rewatch some older stuff (3rd Rock From the Sun :yay: though the UK one doesn't have Malcolm in the Middle which is crap :nono:) so thought it was as good a time as any to try it out. Also means I can catch up a bit on House of Cards.

Goonies-feel, ET-feel, Steven King-feel, 80s nostalgia, funny, great acting from the kids, sci-fi/horror combo, D&D stuff, American high school stuff. I finished it last night and thought it was ace.

Saw this on reddit:

Bd9RZ7U.jpg

Oh I get that it's a call-back and an homage to the 80's, that's the thing I loved most about it!

It's hard to call, it's by no means on the level of greatness of Breaking Bad, The Wire, Oz, Narcos, but I did love it and I can't wait to see more!

Edited by Kav

[..]

Saw this on reddit:

Bd9RZ7U.jpg

Artwork is fucking cool!

But needs more Barb.

Finished this yesterday, absolutely loved it and am sad that there aren't any more episodes we can immediately watch. I LOVED the characters, particularly Jonathan and Joyce. The boys + Eleven were obviously awesome and were fantastic every time they were on screen, but there was something about Jonathan and Joyce that made their scenes really watchable. I think 8 episodes for this was perfect as there was no filler and it felt like every second was well crafted without going too far or dragging for too long.

Soundtrack was obviously stellar. It helped to make the setting feel more real, almost relatable.

Using spoiler tags, what did people assume the ending meant?

Hopper's in the know about something, which was indicated when he was taken away in the car at the end. Something happens in that month gap that leads him to leave the food in the box at the end. To me, it seemed like Eleven was still out there, but I can't work out if she's in the same world or in the Upside Down. Can you travel between both?

Will's "vision" at the end seems to indicate that he has some connection still to the Upside Down. Could the thing he spat out in the sink create a new Demogorgon?

There's definitely enough there for a second season. They could just as easily leave it if they wanted to, but I'm optimistic the second season could be just as high in quality as the first.

Some disturbing concept art:

Poor Barb. This is what they originally wanted to show you.

Barb-concept-art-1-700x452.jpg?resize=700%2C452

It was distinctly average for me. The setting was good but it seemed to flitter between too many arcs to build up content. So little was explained at the end (or nothing was) so there was no satisfying conclusion. All Eleven had to do was open her mouth and talk (her grasp of the English language is much more than a few words) but instead opted to a few choice phrases for flavour. But against a docile and unintimidating villan as Modine she probably didn't feel the point.

So little was explained at the end? Really?

The whole of the first season arc was explained whilst setting up the second season. I had no questions about the main arc left..

Anyways I really enjoyed it. Great cast of kids and I think the world has finally forgiven Winona Ryder for all that thieving she gone and did all those years ago.

So little was explained at the end? Really?

The whole of the first season arc was explained whilst setting up the second season. I had no questions about the main arc left..

Here's a few ponderings I came away with:

Why the upside down there? What is the point of it? If something is built there does it appear in the real world or is it the other way around? What is the creature with the anus for a face? Are there more? How was Will making contact using light signals when all you ever saw him do was lie about like he was off his tits on acid singing The Clash? Could Brenner be Eleven's Dad? Anusface seems to be able to appear because El opened the gate, yet he appears all over the place, is this going to be explained under "Oh, well the barrier between worlds has been weakened" defence? Or can Anusface make portals? (like the one in the tree as opposed to just shouting "Surprise Motherfucker!" whilst bursting through wallpaper, seemingly leaving no vagina portal behind) Is that facility there just so hold on to El? Surely not, so what else is happening that is so special.

Although I am glad that they explained Eleven's powers by saying "Her Mum went under a Government program whilst pregnant, she thought that her kid would have abilities. It's good that she guessed that otherwise it would've just been weird."

If there is a season two, here come the guesses:

They pull Eleven back with a dodgy reason (see the end of the Onslaught saga), or it's a different/clone of Eleven who has no memory. together she joins up with the kids who will now be in high school, so maybe another pointless tangent of one/some of them getting laid could be added, to fight another Anusface, this time half-human as Will coughed it up and it's been hiding in the sewers, living off pizzas like Ninja Turtles, or more probably rats. This time they'll have to team with the Agency, now with Hopper a high-up employee (so the "I'm just doing my job" angle he's been going down the whole season will be pissed on when someone goes "just trust me!" in the second to last episode), Brenner will still be in charge and be the one to sacrifice himself to close the gate, his last words being "Tell her I'm sorry", a lone tear running down his face, as he charges into the portal, grenade in hand.

Fuck my storytelling is awesome. I should trademark this.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Personally it seems like you've purposefully tried to scrutinise the show past the point of enjoyment. It's a 80s show, and stories back then didn't quite have the same need to explain every little thing to the audience. A little bit of mystery was okay back then!

Regarding why the upside down was there.. why is anything anywhere? :P They discussed parallel universes but surmised this wasn't really the same thing. It seemed like a "dark" universe a lá 'Link to the Past'. It didn't feel as though the reasons for its existence needed to be explained for the season arc to be told. It was simply there and wasn't a nice place.

It was very Silent Hill anyway, which I liked.

Your other points could all be explained later down the road but I hope a lot of them aren't.

Here's a few ponderings I came away with:

Why the upside down there? What is the point of it? If something is built there does it appear in the real world or is it the other way around? What is the creature with the anus for a face? Are there more? How was Will making contact using light signals when all you ever saw him do was lie about like he was off his tits on acid singing The Clash? Could Brenner be Eleven's Dad? Anusface seems to be able to appear because El opened the gate, yet he appears all over the place, is this going to be explained under "Oh, well the barrier between worlds has been weakened" defence? Or can Anusface make portals? (like the one in the tree as opposed to just shouting "Surprise Motherfucker!" whilst bursting through wallpaper, seemingly leaving no vagina portal behind) Is that facility there just so hold on to El? Surely not, so what else is happening that is so special.

Although I am glad that they explained Eleven's powers by saying "Her Mum went under a Government program whilst pregnant, she thought that her kid would have abilities. It's good that she guessed that otherwise it would've just been weird."

If there is a season two, here come the guesses:

They pull Eleven back with a dodgy reason (see the end of the Onslaught saga), or it's a different/clone of Eleven who has no memory. together she joins up with the kids who will now be in high school, so maybe another pointless tangent of one/some of them getting laid could be added, to fight another Anusface, this time half-human as Will coughed it up and it's been hiding in the sewers, living off pizzas like Ninja Turtles, or more probably rats. This time they'll have to team with the Agency, now with Hopper a high-up employee (so the "I'm just doing my job" angle he's been going down the whole season will be pissed on when someone goes "just trust me!" in the second to last episode), Brenner will still be in charge and be the one to sacrifice himself to close the gate, his last words being "Tell her I'm sorry", a lone tear running down his face, as he charges into the portal, grenade in hand.

Fuck my storytelling is awesome. I should trademark this.

It does sound like you just want to be spoon-fed everything. Use your imagination or maybe figure some stuff our for yourself or accept that not everything is going to be divulged because some things are always going to be a mystery.

Personally it seems like you've purposefully tried to scrutinise the show past the point of enjoyment. It's a 80s show, and stories back then didn't quite have the same need to explain every little thing to the audience. A little bit of mystery was okay back then!

I don't expect all of those questions to be answered, some of them I thought of whilst making the list. If you want to play the 80's card, then here comes some extra pedantry :P They shouldn't have used all dat CGI, instead opting for some awesome prosthetics (such as the awesome Terror Hound head in Ghostbusters) and dodgy stop motion animation (such as the shitty Terror Hound running in Ghostbusters). Dem Netflixs... trying to have their cake and eat it. :awesome:

It does sound like you just want to be spoon-fed everything. Use your imagination or maybe figure some stuff our for yourself or accept that not everything is going to be divulged because some things are always going to be a mystery.

Not everything brah :blank:

Quick edit on this though:

or it's a different/clone of Eleven who has no memory. together she joins up with the kids who will now be in high school, so maybe another pointless tangent of one/some of them getting laid

Mike and [new]Eleven will fuck.

There will most likely only be a 1 year leap between the first and second season. Can't find the interview I read about this, though...

So I spent most of Monday watching this. It was great, loved it.

Hopper's in the know about something, which was indicated when he was taken away in the car at the end. Something happens in that month gap that leads him to leave the food in the box at the end. To me, it seemed like Eleven was still out there, but I can't work out if she's in the same world or in the Upside Down. Can you travel between both?

Will's "vision" at the end seems to indicate that he has some connection still to the Upside Down. Could the thing he spat out in the sink create a new Demogorgon?

Yeah, Hopper definitely knows something. I think that Eleven is stuck in the Upside Down. I think that she can either not open a portal by herself or she is guarding the Demogorgon, if they both went there.

Because, when Eleven vanished so did the portal in the lab connecting to the Upside Down, right?

And that vision to me looked like he will be sent back there. I thought that the larva he spat was one of the snakes that was feeding on them (that thing was huge! I was surprised that he survived that). Maybe Will will become the new Demogorgon?

I was expecting it to go a similar route as 'Fargo' and 'True Detective' in following a completely different set of characters in its second season but the ending seems to suggest we'll get more of these characters.

Finished watching this last night. It was excellent! I agree with Eevil a bit about how some of the supernatural didn't make sense, but I suppose it's not that kind of program.

Otherwise it was very moreish. I loved the 8 episode format, much better than huge, 20 episode seasons which go on for ages and seem bloated. Can't wait for season 2.