NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Metal Gear Survive (PS4/XB1/PC)

Well, this came out of nowhere.

IGN can exclusively reveal Metal Gear Survive, a four-player stealth co-op game set within the Metal Gear universe, due for release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC in 2017.

Set directly after the events of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Survive sees the members of Militaires Sans Frontières not killed in that game’s finale transported through wormholes into an alternate universe, where they’re forced to battle a force of crystalline zombies and, it seems, at least one Metal Gear itself.

“Metal Gear Survive will offer a fresh take on the series’ famed stealth elements,” said Konami European president, Tomotada Tashiro in a press release, “but within a unique co-op setting that is designed for a truly engrossing multiplayer experience.”

Survive will be the first full Metal Gear game made after the departure of series creator Hideo Kojima, and Konami has been unclear as to how much, if any, of the original Kojima Productions team will be working on the game.

While Big Boss appears at the beginning of the game’s trailer, it remains unclear whether he, the Snake clones, or any recognisable characters from Kojima’s games will appear in the core game. However, Konami does make clear that this is “a new addition to the Metal Gear Solid V experience”.

Konami has revealed few concrete details about the game at this point, barring a teaser trailer (above), but it will be built for four-player co-op play, and will have players using brand new weaponry to fight off enemies. A Konami fact sheet refers to the game as “survival done the Metal Gear way”.

The zombie-like enemies shown are referred to by Konami as “biological threats”, and mention is also made of teaming up to take down “massive threats”, which could potentially be the Metal Gear heard at the end of the trailer.

Going by the trailer itself, the game appears to involve scavenging for resources from the destroyed Mother Base, parts of which have been sucked through and scattered out of the wormholes that transported the game’s central MSF characters.

Survive will use the same FOX Engine that powered both instalments of Metal Gear Solid V. Konami will release more information following Gamescom, and we’ll update you as soon as we find out more.

Only good thing about this is that it shows Konami are not opposed to still releasing video games and we'll maybe get some MGS remakes one day.

Only good thing about this is that it shows Konami are not opposed to still releasing video games and we'll maybe get some MGS remakes one day.

It depends if they can monetize them. I wouldn't be surprised if this game was filled with microtransactions.

So, I'll go against the tide. It's fucking bizarre and I'm in. Honestly, what's the worst that could happen?

It's not like MGSV was flawless. It had its own problems.

So, I'll go against the tide. It's fucking bizarre and I'm in.

It's not like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance wasn't already utterly ridiculous and was still a great game.

It's not like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance wasn't already utterly ridiculous and was still a great game.

Literally the worst title for a game ever, though.

gtfafm1.gif

Looks like it was supposed to be a Phantom Pain DLC but Konami turned it into standalone title.

And it looks boring as fuck.

Goodbye Metal Gear...

gtfafm1.gif

Looks like it was supposed to be a Phantom Pain DLC but Konami turned it into standalone title.

And it looks boring as fuck.

Goodbye Metal Gear...

I thought it didn't look too bad to be honest. I think people are letting their personal gripes with konami get in the way of viewing this game objectively.

I quite like the look of it to be honest. I didn't think I would, but it just seems like MGS5 in a different environment.

Only really heard bad things about this game, which is good (in terms of “Screw Konami”) and bad (in terms of how it might reflect on the developers). 

Also found this quite amusing:

nodhuwzt9di01.jpg

“KJP [Kojima Productions] FOREVER” :D

Anyway, I’m very interested in seeing how this game performs in terms of sales.

Because, assuming that it does poorly - and we don’t see much from the Metal Gear franchise for a while - I wouldn’t be surprised to see Konami’s financials take a significant enough hit for them to consider selling some of their video game licenses (such a Silent Hill and Metal Gear) off, prior to a possible closure of their video gaming division. Assuming that Kojima continues to partner with Sony, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Sony foot up the bill to put these franchises back under Kojima’s control if that did end up happening.

On the downside, we’re probably just shy of a decade of that being a remote possibility. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

There's actually a little more to that pic that the guys on Reset Era noticed...

feUWdmM.png

Look at the top, highlighted in green...

MG - KIA  = Metal Gear: Killed in Action

At this point, I suppose the Vengeful Mosquito refers to Konami's execs as a whole :laughing:

Brilliant stuff! Hope the rest of them jump ship to join Kojima soon!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 3

Word is going around that the game has sold less than 5% of what MGSV sold in its first week...

Reedus.jpg

• Haha 1

Why would he be drinking tears though? They would probably taste very unpleasant.

9 hours ago, bob said:

Why would he be drinking tears though? They would probably taste very unpleasant.

Salt intake. It’s half of what makes Brawndo the thirst mutilator.