NEurope
Daft

Wonder Woman (2017)

One of my favourite moments.

gallery-1494225026-ww.jpg

latest?cb=20110922193058

I don't know whether it was a direct reference, but I'm choosing to believe it is.

I loved the film despite an awful cinema experience - a family brought a baby, which got restless so to sooth it, they gave it a tablet put on a cartoon at full volume for the last 45min/hour of the film. The ignored staff and then shouted at people to grow up as it was a kids film so we had no right to complain

I loved the film despite an awful cinema experience - a family brought a baby, which got restless so to sooth it, they gave it a tablet put on a cartoon at full volume for the last 45min/hour of the film. The ignored staff and then shouted at people to grow up as it was a kids film so we had no right to complain

That's just.........wow

What the actual fuck. You should complain, get your money back or a free ticket or something for their failure to eject subhuman morons.

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Was it Odeon? Generally speaking a bunch of mong-heads.

I bloody loved the film.

Was half expecting to be hugely disappointed and to see a weak, crappy film. But it was amazing.

Even if the nobends in front of me talked through the quiet parts. Ugh. THIS IS WHY I NEVER GO TO THE CINEMA.

I loved it. I was going to preface comments about it's 'not perfect but'...but that seems like I'm apologising for my enthusiasm for it. There were so many bloody great moments, just little accents in the acting and the writing that made the film so personable.

I thought it was so pitch-perfect when Wonder Woman refers to Ares as 'Brother'. It's just a small touch but to me it says so much about how Wonder Woman decides to relate to everyone.

I complained, a lot of people complained, the staff gave us all free tickets so that's nice but I feel sorry for the showcase - they easily gave out 20 free tickets, that's around £200-250 of lost revenue all because of some idiots who should be banned. Worst part for me was him basically using his child as a human shield from getting smacked by a bloke after the film, we were outside with staff an angry customer said he should pay for our tickets or just never come with a baby's, it was at this point he made the jibe about it being a kids film, but did so in an aggressive manner and doing that sort of half headbut motion toward they guy, with his daughter on his shoulders, so no reasonable person would actually fight such a bloke.

But anyway I really did enjoy the movie, planning on a second viewing this week, frankly if justice league flops I'd be happy for just a Wonder Woman series of films

I don't really understand why you'd take a baby to the cinema...... The noise is nearly guaranteed to upset him/her resulting in you missing half the movie when you have to leave...

I loved it. I was going to preface comments about it's 'not perfect but'...but that seems like I'm apologising for my enthusiasm for it. There were so many bloody great moments, just little accents in the acting and the writing that made the film so personable.

Speaking of accents (kind of), I loved how everyone on Themyscira had a vaguely Israeli accent because of Gal Gadot.

I don't really understand why you'd take a baby to the cinema...... The noise is nearly guaranteed to upset him/her resulting in you missing half the movie when you have to leave...

There are parent and baby/child screenings (in which I presume they turn the volume down a bit) and that's great...but I don't think a 12A film is the best place for a child.

This isn't out yet here, but it's coming next week on my birthday. Good to hear it's a step up from the previous DC films.

I don't think I liked it as much as most people. The setting and story just didn't really do it for me. I did however think Gadot was brilliant as Wonder Woman so I think I may like the sequel more when we'll get modern day stuff.

Still probably my favourite of the DCEU movies but with such a low bar that doesn't say much.

Although speaking of the setting, I now really want to go to Camerota.

Saw this at the weekend and loved it. Thought Gal Gadot and Chris Pine had fantastic chemistry and loved the scenes that they shared together. The action was really enjoyable and the plot wasn't convoluted or messy. It just had a really nice flow to it.

Could have easily got another ticket on the way out and watched it again. :D

Saw this at the weekend and loved it. Thought Gal Gadot and Chris Pine had fantastic chemistry and loved the scenes that they shared together. The action was really enjoyable and the plot wasn't convoluted or messy. It just had a really nice flow to it.

Could have easily got another ticket on the way out and watched it again. :D

MLc2BMh.gif

Couldn't find the version without the perfect captioning

Thought I'd post this pretty neat reading of Wonder Woman. Trigger warning, it contains the word 'patriarchy'.

How Wonder Woman Succeeds as a Feminist Film

Spoiler

A traditionalist, [Ares] views [humans] as a threat: they took the earth and his father’s affections from him, and now he must take that away from them. It’s a classic “me vs. them” moment. But Diana isn’t having it—not in her movie. She tells Ares that humans “are everything you say they are, but they are also so much more.” In this one simple line, she demolishes the zero-sum mentality; he is right, but she is also right. There is room for a more nuanced and complicated understanding of humanity, one that doesn’t paint too naïve or rosy a picture, but also one that doesn’t give up hope. There is room for “and.” It is at this moment that she and Ares begin to share power—she literally absorbs his lightning and is able to re-channel it—and that shared power is something that Ares, in his extreme patriarchal mindset, cannot fathom. As a result, he is obliterated by it; the representation of the patriarchy is dissolved by the introduction of a new paradigm.

I think this is what really elevates Wonder Woman. And, because I've been thinking about Wondy and Spidey recently, why I found Homecoming entertaining but ultimately underwhelming; it lacks any kind of meaningful message.

Edited by Daft

Eh. I'm sure I've heard the "Humans are terrible, but also great" trope before. Doesn't seem that astounding to me. 

Having not seen the movie I can't really comment on the patriarchal gaff and that being the reason he explodes. 

Personally, I've never watched Marvel movies for meaningful messages. So I can't say it'll hurt my enjoyment of Spider-Man if I ever get around to watching it. 

My wife made the point that it seems odd that WW believed that man was being controlled by Aries to go to war, and yet had no problem with murdering all those therefore innocent Germans throughout the film.

I thought the film was OK. Loved the beginning, liked the middle, thought the ending was crap.

Yes, we are innocent. INNOCENT, I say!

Wait, what are we talking about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yup, I thought the film was just ok too. Didn't have the obvious problems Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad had, but didn't really do anything to elevate things either.. Just like Bob, loved the beginning, ending was boring. Gal Gadot though.. She brings such elegance to the character, I loved that. The Amazons were cool (even a fun cameo by famous Dutch babe Doutzen Kroes), but Chris Pines' friends.. Although very likeable, they felt so inconsequential to the film. Anyway, I was somewhat entertained, but this did nothing to restore any faith in de DC cinematic universe.

Finally managed to carve out the time to watch this film this morning, and I think it's a flick which sits in its own No Man's Land between being a good and a great film.

This film is very clearly much stronger than Batman Vs. Superman and Suicide Squad, and I think subsequent viewings should clear the waters for me on whether or not it's the best film in the DCEU, but I'm glad that it's a return to form for Warner Bros. amidst the DCEU being somewhat of a problem child for them up to this point.

As @Fierce_LiNk pointed out, this film has a great flow to it, and it also pays great respect to the era it is depicting, as well as also presenting a lot of problems of the world back then - and some that are still around today, in some cases - in a fair and even manner. Man Of Steel is another film I'd place within this No Man's Land between being good and great, and I think the key difference between these two films and the other DCEU stuff are the timeless ideologies and lessons presented; Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman et al are set up as these classical mythological characters and I think these are the films that have best translated the ideas that come along with that.

The cinematography, especially a certain shot in a forest, was also great, as has been the case in every DCEU film to date (bar, perhaps, Suicide Squad). I also did not see the main villain reveal coming in the way it did as all, which is very refreshing (perhaps subsequent viewings will outline that I missed some massive nod to this, but I doubt it).

However, there are a few things about this film that I feel could have been improved, and it's a surprisingly similar list to some of my problems with Rogue One and BvS. 

For instance, whilst I think the second and third acts were good/great, I found the first act to be rather dull and include a lot of setting up; while this is often warranted, I feel like it took a bit too long (10/15 minutes) to get to the inciting incident which kicks off the story (Diana saving Steve). Similar to how I think BvS should have kicked off with the Capitol Hill scene, I think this film should have started with Steve's crash landing off the shores of Themyscira.

As with Rogue One, I found some of the early CGI to be a bit sketchy here and there, especially a panning shot over Themyscira during a training sequence where the people training most certainly do not look like they were on top of a hill. 

This film shares a few themes and such with a similar superhero film, Captain America: The First Avenger, a film I probably hold in equal regard. However, whilst the chemistry between Diana and Steve was great, I found other characters to be lacking in anything other than being around to push the story along, and I felt it especially with Steve's group of merry men. Whilst there were a few moments that were very smart, I simply did not get a sense of development in relationships (other than Diana and Steve's) like I did in The First Avenger; I simply didn't feel like they struggled too much on their journey - up until the end, when one of them makes a key decision in the story - and I was hardly worried for there wellbeing because of this. Compare that to, say, Cap's loss of Bucky and I think you can get what I mean.

So yeah, it felt like somewhere between a 7 or an 8 out of 10.

Oh, and I think this has one of the best credits sequences I've ever seen; it was beautiful!

Edited by Julius Caesar