NEurope
Serebii

Detective Pikachu - The Movie

Ryan Reynolds is without a doubt one of the best and most funny actors out there at the moment. He just gets it.

Four new commecials - as far as I can see there is some new footage:

21 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Please, someone make a Pokémon horror film..

Funny you should ask because this looks pretty horrific

Why is Ash Mexican?

This looks great. I can’t wait to see this. Definitely the surprise hit of the year. 

Lol. They got me. I was like should I watch this or not. Then I saw the comments and did. That’s great. 

• Haha 1

Gotta wait for the 16th to see this, but it's the first time in a long time I'm genuinely excited to see a movie at launch.

Went to see it this morning.

detective_pikachu.png

Spoiler

giphy.gif

The Pokémon cards didn't seem to be compatible with my Magic cards, so I asked for a refund. 3/5

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

The “leak” dancing Pikachu video has taken off big time with people adding other songs to it. 

this is great. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

The “leak” dancing Pikachu video has taken off big time with people adding other songs to it. 

this is great. 

I got in on the act too myself...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I seen the movie this evening. Its good but not great. Ryan Reynolds pretty much carries the movie on his own. His banter as Pikachu was hilarious. He was the perfect choice for the role.

There are plenty of little nods to the main games, cartoon and the Detective Pikachu game. There was one cartoon reference that had me and my mate in stitches...

Spoiler

There's a part where Pikachu gets really bummed out and starts singing. The song he sings is the theme tune from the original cartoon series and hearing Ryan Reynolds sing it in a sad way was hilarious. :D 

I think a lot of Pokemon fans will enjoy what's on offer here. It's certainly a lot better than the train wreck that was the last animated movie. That was easily one of the worst things I've ever seen at the cinema.

Spoiler

If the movie is a success then I'm not sure how they would go about making a sequel. Reynolds makes this movie what it is and with him no longer being Pikachu I can't the appeal in it.

While I enjoyed the movie, the cinema experience was pretty annoying. Why in the hell do people have to bring carrier bags with food in or feel the need to constantly snack during a movie? It's no wonder this country has an obesity problem when people seemingly can't stop eating for an hour and a half!

Also, there was a mother who brought her kid to see the film but the kid had zero interest in sitting still and watching it. He was running up and down the stairs, jumping in his seat, making noise and the ignorant cow just sat there doing absolutely nothing. :mad:

I can see why people just illegally download movies and watch them in the comfort of their own home.

• Thanks 3

Going to watch the movie later with @Jimbob and others from our local Nintendo group. We've got about 2 rows all booked up, should be fun. 

I watched it last night and it was exactly how I expected. It was a good (but not amazing) movie and a lot of fun, particularly if you're a fan. There was something so right-in-the-nostalgia about seeing the Pokémon with humans. The ultimate dream when you were 10. 

I think what worked well with it was it's earnestness. They seemed to want to try and make a good film that showed love towards the franchise, rather than just using it to make money (but that too obviously). Reynolds particularly. I'm so glad they didn't use Devito despite the initial fan desires. 

Perhaps my favourite part though was they played the Sonic trailer beforehand and a lot of people just laughed as soon as it came on. 

• Haha 4
  • Weird 1

Saw it just now. Thought it was pretty great. I would give it about an 8 out of 10, but that's mostly Pokémon nostalgia. It would have been a 5 or 6 on the movie alone.

Got a bit confused as to some of the plot near the end, but I can't go into it without spoilers.

23 minutes ago, bob said:

Got a bit confused as to some of the plot near the end, but I can't go into it without spoilers.

Spoiler

Psyduck using Confusion?

4 hours ago, bob said:

Spoiler

That's why they invented these.

Spoiler I can't be arsed trying it with Tapatalk though. It never works half the time.