NEurope
Serebii

Detective Pikachu - The Movie

Not gonna lie, my interest for this went from 0 to 100 in a flash. Holy shit, that Mr.Mime. It is actually amazing that something like this is happening.

(Though I don't think Pikachu himself looks bad. He looks just fine to me, to be honest. Unlike that Jigglypuff...)

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Weird, I thought they looked great!

Yeah, no. You're wrong. Pokémon never look good with realistic texturing. I've seen thousands of attempts and none of them work. They're not designed to have realistic texturing.

Take Jigglypuff, it's meant to have fur so fine, you can't tell it's there.

That Jigglypuff needs a bloody haircut.

The poster looks sick though. That's a nice poster! I haven't seen the trailer, (Wi-Fi here sucks) but I'm worried that the designs are gonna be way too distracting for me to enjoy the film. It happened with Pokken, and those were nowhere near as bad as these.

I'm just scared I'm gonna see Pokémon I really like and have them ruined forever.

For once, I actively don't want Krookodile to show up somewhere.

It's called Krookodile, it's totally showing up, isn't it?

WOU7Jmx.png

Wow! That's insane!!

This thing has $1 Billion opening weekend written all over it! :o 

Edited by Dcubed

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, no. You're wrong. Pokémon never look good with realistic texturing. I've seen thousands of attempts and none of them work. They're not designed to have realistic texturing.

Yeah, no. No one is right or wrong, it's down to personal taste. I think they look great, you don't.

If anything, this is how the Pokemon Company see them existing. They're the ones behind this movie and they'd never have allowed fur on Pikachu if they didn't envisage him having it.

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Wow! That's insane!!

I never would have imagined a video game film, a live action Pokemon one at that, would have 416k upvotes and only 18k down.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

For once, I actively don't want Krookodile to show up somewhere.

It's called Krookodile, it's totally showing up, isn't it?

I only watched the trailer once but I saw mostly Gen 1 plus Greninja (because yeah he's popular, let's throw him in). I wonder if we'll see a lot of other generations in it.

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

WOU7Jmx.png

Wow! That's insane!!

It is insane! But I can totally see the appeal of it to the masses. It is Pokémon but different, has Ryan Reynolds, and there is just something about seeing Pokémon in the real world.

So be warned. if this hits it means we will see the realistic approach back in the games. Time for Nintendo to beef up that Switch so it can cope with all those hair textures and lighting effects! :grin:

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

This thing has $1 Billion opening weekend written all over it! :o 

Those viewing numbers are strong, though are they really all that surprising? The first live-action Pokémon film — and a witty and high budget one at that — up against an entry in a franchise which wasn’t really asked for...and didn’t show much of anything in their teaser trailer. 

Toy Story 4 will likely pass $1 billion anyway when all is said and done, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves when it comes to Detective Pikachu. It could easily end up being the best performing video game movie (assuming that it is actually a good film in the first place) when all is said and done, and very well could end up surpassing $1 billion itself, but let’s not forget that it’s coming out in a prime time summer blockbuster spot: it releases one week after Avengers 4, two weeks before Aladdin, etc. 

And I hope your $1 billion [worldwide] opening weekend was hyperbole @Dcubed, because that’s currently an impossible feat :p if they do keep trailers coming out like this, and it critiques well, then I’m sure that it will end up performing great at the box office. 

Maybe these designs are Game Freak and Nintendo's way of warming us up for the next mainline pokemon game with REALISTIC GRAPHICS, releasing in 2019 :p

I actually think it looks awesome! This reminds me of gremlings, turtles and other 90's movies, and this is probably the best way of presenting Pokemon in a live action way. Props to the guy who had the balls to suggest this. 2018 will be the year people will remember that Nintendo killed their entire cast of characters (minus Kriby) and made pokemon terrifying :D

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

If anything, this is how the Pokemon Company see them existing. They're the ones behind this movie and they'd never have allowed fur on Pikachu if they didn't envisage him having it.

Then that gives me even more reason to worry about the Pokémon Company.

EDIT: Oh man, I just saw @Vileplume2000's post.

Please not Greninja. I like Greninja. Don't make me like Greninja less. Ash already did that with his lameness. Tell me you're joking.

Edited by Glen-i

The Pokémon look surprisingly well done in the trailer - great art direction. Definitely looks good.

I also appreciate that it's the Pokémon world and not Pokémon in our world.

Wish I could @Glen-i! Even more bad news, I've watched the trailer again and saw some breakdowns of which Pokémon are in it, and there are quite some other generation 'mon there. So chances for Krookodile are up again. :grin:

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Sad 1

I can't remember where I saw it now but I did see a tweet yesterday saying if Pokémon weren't realistic in this film Jigglypuff would just be a singing testicle. So there's that...

Surprised by it but seems like this film will satisfy my noir needs until Veronica returns next year. (any excuse)

I went from not caring at all to being massively interested in this based on the trailer.

I love how creepy the Pokemon look. Is that intentional or a side effect of the style they’ve gone for?

Not gonna lie if this goes well I’m going to be screaming for a Metroid film.

This looks fun, I hope it turns out to be good. Not surprised to see purists moaning about the use of realistic designs.

33 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

This looks fun, I hope it turns out to be good. Not surprised to see purists moaning about the use of realistic designs. emoji38.png

OI! I moan because I care!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

WOU7Jmx.png

Wow! That's insane!!

Seriously, that Toy Story 4 teaser is SHIT.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The one time I want blatant Gen 1 pandering...

Aw, it's not that bad. They'll look nicer than you expect when you get to see the trailer.

I know what will cheer you up (or freak you out even more): realistic Gen V Pokémon.

Spoiler

673.gif

4 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Aw, it's not that bad. They'll look nicer than you expect when you get to see the trailer.

I know what will cheer you up (or freak you out even more): realistic Gen V Pokémon.

Here's a gif (Hide contents)

673.gif

Eurgh! They look like they're having allergic reactions or something.

• Haha 2

Eurgh! They look like they're having allergic reactions or something.

A bit like you then. ;)

It grows on me the more that I watch the trailer, but Bulbasaur and Charmander are the two Pokémon that stand out to me in particular as having transferred very well into this art style from the trailer.

I mean, look at these Bulbasaur. Just look at them. They look as good as I think they could in a live-action setting. Morelull actually looks quite good in this shot, too. 

detective-pikachu-trailer-9-700x293.png

17 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

A bit like you then. ;)

pp550x550.jpg?w=550

Oh, they gave scales to the Bulbasaur... Nope, still weird.

Morelull looks OK though.

2 hours ago, Julius said:

It grows on me the more that I watch the trailer, but Bulbasaur and Charmander are the two Pokémon that stand out to me in particular as having transferred very well into this art style from the trailer.

I mean, look at these Bulbasaur. Just look at them. They look as good as I think they could in a live-action setting. Morelull actually looks quite good in this shot, too. 

detective-pikachu-trailer-9-700x293.png

Yeah I love that shot, looks great