NEurope
Serebii

Detective Pikachu - The Movie

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

Just noticed the Hollywood Reporter article has been updated.  It originally said it started as a card-collecting game that went on to be an anime but seems they've corrected that.  Was worried for @Serebii's health.

They do kinda classify all Pokémon as "cute" though...

I mean, I'm all for equality, but at some point (probably around the Feraligatr mark), you have to draw a line.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, Dcubed said:

It's not Danny Devito, but it's still a great choice!

Indeed. It's a choice that makes sense, unlike Danny Devito :p

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, Glen-i said:

Hearing the news, I have to say that I kinda prefer this casting to Danny DeVito. In terms of who would fit it better, mind. DeVito would have been far more hilarious.

Hey, Game Freak, instead of those craptastic Hat Pikachus you've been shoving down our throats, how about a Detective Pikachu distribution, complete with Ryan Reynolds's voice clips?

You can have that one for free.

Detective Pikachu can't use moves so nope

10 minutes ago, Serebii said:

Detective Pikachu can't use moves so nope

Serebii there, crusher of dreams. Smasher of cool ideas.

Plus it would require more than the bare minimum effort of one artist's afternoon so it was never going to happen anyway.  You may get a Pikachu in a deerhunter.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2017 at 5:18 PM, Serebii said:

Indeed. It's a choice that makes sense, unlike Danny Devito :p

They could have the shitty voice from I Choose You instead? 

(That fucking asshole murdered a Luxray. Instant dislike for that movie, among some other things)

The script seems good! It's legit funny in places; even if it feels a bit too serious in tone... (but then again, it could've been a LOT worse... this IS Gritty Hollywood we're talking about here!)

Ryan Reynolds absolutely nails it in the trailer though! Brilliant casting choice, as expected!

But... well... there IS the elephant in the room...

giphy.gif

WHAT THE HOLY HELL HAPPENED TO THE POKEMON!?

They are literally nightmare fuel! They somehow actually managed to make them look worse than even the jokey "realistic" fan made mockups that purposely tried to look bad! Wow!

99a6a82960d68506c94b4c85885ef8ba_400x400Realistic-Pikachu_o_35557.jpga20ae310df3eca10fb09830492ea1a58.jpg

They actually managed to make something that looks WORSE than these!! That's REALLY impressive!

They are probably the worst things I have ever laid eyes upon.  Absolutely putrid! Yuck!

Iw56N8f.png

JESUS FUCK! I AM NOT SLEEPING TONIGHT!!! :shakehead

Still, art (or lack there of) aside, the movie actually looks like it has real potential to be good! I just hope that the story doesn't end up being as GRITTY HOLLYWOOD as I am fearing...

At least the comedy seems to be on point!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1
  • Weird 1

They should have released this trailer on Halloween (or the film on Halloween next year). I don't know how they got this approved, but it looks hilarious.

I cam back to this forum for the first time in MONTHS after seeing this trailer because... because...

Photorealistic... Jigglypuff...

tumblr_pi3c3n9hss1r6qvkdo1_400.png

I... I think I'm into it?

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

30 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They are literally nightmare fuel! They somehow actually managed to make them look worse than even the jokey "realistic" fan made mockups that purposely tried to look bad! Wow!

They are probably the worst things I have ever laid eyes upon.  Absolutely putrid! Yuck!

Weird, I thought they looked great!

• Like 1

I think they look good - they have a more realistic approach to how they could look, scaly, furry, humanoid. But now that you mention it, Mr. Mime does look a bit creepy and could easily star in IT 3.

This looks way better than I would ever have thought. 

I didn't really know what to expect from a Ryan Reynolds fronted Pikachu film but on the basis of that trailer I'm 100% in!

The writing seems good from the trailer (though that’s not exactly a great identifier), but I’m at least partly with @Dcubed on this: some of those Pokémon just do not look right. It seems that they’ve taken the Pokkén route of making non-furry Pokémon, well...furry. Charizard towards the end of the trailer, for instance, looks like it has the texture of a thinly furred rocking horse more so than a lizard/dinosaur/dragon. 

23 minutes ago, Julius said:

The writing seems good from the trailer (though that’s not exactly a great identifier), but I’m at least partly with @Dcubed on this: some of those Pokémon just do not look right. It seems that they’ve taken the Pokkén route of making non-furry Pokémon, well...furry. Charizard towards the end of the trailer, for instance, looks like it has the texture of a thinly furred rocking horse more so than a lizard/dinosaur/dragon. 

I really don't get why they didn't just go for Pokken's art style.  It would've worked so much better, even for a live action movie!

4vyNvwR.jpg

See! It IS possible to have realistic texturing on the Pokemon and not have it look utterly disgusting!

Art style aside though, I think it actually looks really promising so far! I reckon it has real potential to be a legit good movie! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

It's all subjective obviously. I think the above art style look like video game characters, because well they are. Not sure they would suit a live action film.

Anyway Greninja, Psyduck and Charizard (I can only see scales, no fur?) look cool. My main issue with the look of them is... isn't Jigglypuff supposed to be pink? :confused:

It's all subjective obviously. I think the above art style look like video game characters, because well they are. Not sure they would suit a live action film.
Anyway Greninja, Psyduck and Charizard (I can only see scales, no fur?) look cool. My main issue with the look of them is... isn't Jigglypuff supposed to be pink? :confused:
That's just a yellow light on it, it is pink.

[âIMG]

That is a really great poster! Looks utterly stunning! (all the subtle call outs to all the games in the series are brilliant too! The guys did their homework! :D )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

[âIMG]

That is a really great poster! Looks utterly stunning! (all the subtle call outs to all the games in the series are brilliant too! The guys did their homework! :D )

That is a gorgeous poster. Totally with you on the nods to the games :D 

26 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Charizard (I can only see scales, no fur?)

You might be right. I’m watching this on my phone, so it looks to me like there’s a bit of both - scales on his wings, and fur elsewhere - but I’m not too sure. 

And you're right about it being subjective. I imagine the redesigns/texturing will grow on some of us by the time that the film releases, it’s just that there’s an initial shock after decades of acclimatising to the designs as we see them in the anime/games; I think that that was going to happen regardless of art style (unless we got Sugimori-inspired art as part of a Who Framed Roger Rabbit-style live-action/2D animation hybrid). 

• Like 1

I’m in. That trailer was so much better than I thought this could be. Maybe it’s because all we’ve ever heard are the high pitched Pika Pika noises but I never thought they should give him a voice but, well, that just works in no way it should have. Loved it.