NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2016/17

Barely paid any attention to our game against Southampton. Mourinho is just getting through these games and passing the time until the Europe League final. Extremely curious to see what happens next if United fail to win and get that Champions League spot. Some of the football we've been playing lately is no different to what we played under Van Gaal. In some ways, it's worse.

I don't remember ever seeing something like this where a team has publicly declared that they're ignoring the league and only trying to win a cup instead.

I know that there are going to be a fair few more Ajax fans about because of it though...

I don't remember ever seeing something like this where a team has publicly declared that they're ignoring the league and only trying to win a cup instead.

I know that there are going to be a fair few more Ajax fans about because of it though...

In fairness, both avenues lead to the same destination. We can qualify for the champions league by either getting top four or by winning the Europa League.

United made too many mistakes in the league and made it too difficult to get top four. Every time any opportunity came along or a half chance appeared, it ended up with United dropping crucial points. Usually by drawing.

I get why Mourinho is leaving the league and just going for Europa, because it's really now the only sure fire way of getting that Champions League football. Had those crucial mistakes not been made and United were either in the top 4 or very, very close to getting it, then Mourinho would be aiming for both. As it is, that's not the case.

However, Mourinho is under pressure now to win the competition. The team has to deliver now, especially as the league form has been too patchy.

It's gonna be crazy if after all of this Man U still fail to qualify for the Champions League. I do agree with you though, Flinky, this was the best course of action in trying to nab a spot.

The playoffs have been a bit nuts. I honestly expected Fulham to walk it. There recent league form has been great and they were destroying a lot of teams in their matches.

During the match last night I expected Shef Wed to win but they blew it and the game went to pens and Huddersfield won.

I'm now hoping Huddersfield win the whole thing. It will be great to have a different team in the Premier League. I've never liked Reading. I just find them to be one of those boring teams that are just kinda there to make up the numbers.

In fairness, both avenues lead to the same destination. We can qualify for the champions league by either getting top four or by winning the Europa League.

United made too many mistakes in the league and made it too difficult to get top four. Every time any opportunity came along or a half chance appeared, it ended up with United dropping crucial points. Usually by drawing.

I get why Mourinho is leaving the league and just going for Europa, because it's really now the only sure fire way of getting that Champions League football. Had those crucial mistakes not been made and United were either in the top 4 or very, very close to getting it, then Mourinho would be aiming for both. As it is, that's not the case.

However, Mourinho is under pressure now to win the competition. The team has to deliver now, especially as the league form has been too patchy.

Oh absolutely. I have no issues with the route they've taken, it's what I would have done as well.

I just meant that most neutrals will be rooting for Ajax because it would be hilarious to see Mourinho put all his eggs in one basket and then drop said basket disastrously on the floor, ending up with egg all over his shoes.

It's gonna be crazy if after all of this Man U still fail to qualify for the Champions League. I do agree with you though, Flinky, this was the best course of action in trying to nab a spot.

The playoffs have been a bit nuts. I honestly expected Fulham to walk it. There recent league form has been great and they were destroying a lot of teams in their matches.

During the match last night I expected Shef Wed to win but they blew it and the game went to pens and Huddersfield won.

I'm now hoping Huddersfield win the whole thing. It will be great to have a different team in the Premier League. I've never liked Reading. I just find them to be one of those boring teams that are just kinda there to make up the numbers.

Really enjoyed the game last night, wasn't too fussed about which team won but I'm kind of glad Huddersfield did. While the Premier League has been lacking a decent Yorkshire team for team for years (Hull don't count), it would have been nice to have a team with the history of Wednesday to go up, especially considering the size of Sheffield.

Huddersfield seem to be a well run club though and Wagner has been a revelation since his appointment, genuinely exciting and efficient manager. Hudds have a bit of a Bournemouth vibe about them, well-structured and financially sound club with a good, young manager and a decent squad. Even if they have had an injection of cash, but them seems to be the rules from Premier League football these days...

Reading can do one. Another yo-yo club from the South with a quiet crowd. You're spot on, a painfully uninteresting club who'll just be making up the numbers. Here's hoping Huddersfield cap off their incredible season with a Wembley victory.

About time this happened. Diving has become far too accepted as being just part of the game.

Footballers who dive will face a two-match retrospective ban by the Football Association from the start of next season.

The new rules, passed by the governing body at its annual general meeting, are aimed at players who con officials into awarding penalties or sending off opponents either through a second yellow or straight red card.

An independent panel, consisting of one ex-player, a former manager and an ex-official, will review footage from the weekend each Monday looking for cases of simulation.

Bans will only be imposed if the panel unanimously finds the player guilty of the new offence of 'successful deception of a match official.'

As well as imposing a two-match ban on the guilty player, the FA can also overturn the red card issued to an opponent.

The FA said in a statement: "This process would be similar to the one used now for a red card offence which was not seen at the time by the match officials but caught on camera."

The FA says it will act "where there is clear and overwhelming evidence to suggest a match official has been deceived by an act of simulation, and as a direct result, the offending player's team has been awarded a penalty and/or an opposing player has been dismissed."

The ban, which has been widely backed by managers, follows "a period of consultation with stakeholders over the past few months", and has been approved by the Premier League, the EFL and the Professional Footballers' Association.

Just read this news, too.

Should be standard everywhere. I really hope we'll see this in the Bundesliga, as well. Hopefully very, very soon.

Hans Meyer (not sure if anybody knows him; awesome coach and funny guy) once said in an interview long ago (loosely translated): "There are so many cameras recording each match from every possible angle. If you want to reduce diving here's the easiest solution: A two match ban for a dive that has been identified after a match. I guarantee you: No more dives after the first ban has been enforced."

There are so many things that annoy me in football right now...

Rolling around, "crying and screaming" and lying on the ground for a minute and after that (or after the player realises he got the freekick and the opponent was booked) play like nothing happened.

Grabbing the ball after being fouled (or not fouled, doesn't matter).

The constant dives.

We need more options to penalize players for their actions. Even after a match has ended.

Celtic are now one match away from an unbeaten season. I don't care what anyone (mainly Rangers fans) say. It's a phenomenal achievement regardless of the quality of the rest of the league. This season is arguably more competitive that any other in the last 5 years but Celtic have blown the competition away.

The last time this happened was in Scotland the late 19th century. Celtic did it one year and Rangers followed suit the following season. The teams only played 18 matches a season in those days too.

What would everyone's team of the season be?

I think I'd pick a 3-4-3 and it would be along the lines of:

Courtois,

Azpilicueta, Alderweireld, Cahill

Walker, Kante, Alli, Alonso

Sanchez, Kane, Hazard

What would everyone's team of the season be?

I think I'd pick a 3-4-3 and it would be along the lines of:

Courtois,

Azpilicueta, Alderweireld, Cahill

Walker, Kante, Alli, Alonso

Sanchez, Kane, Hazard

I think you need a wee bit more variety than 3 teams there haha.

Hard to argue with your choices really, but I think i'd make a few changes.

Pickford

Azpilicueta Alderwiereld Cahill

Kante Wanyama

Sanchez Alli Hazard

Kane Lukaku

Phew! That first half was very nervy. That first goal came just at the right time for us and once the second went it we started to relax a bit more.

Happy to have us back in Champions League. : peace:

Phew! That first half was very nervy. That first goal came just at the right time for us and once the second went it we started to relax a bit more.

Happy to have us back in Champions League. : peace:

Pretty much came in here to say the same thing. That goal at the end of the first half was so important. Not sure how well Liverpool would have dealt with the pressure otherwise given how we were playing before that.

Pretty much came in here to say the same thing. That goal at the end of the first half was so important. Not sure how well Liverpool would have dealt with the pressure otherwise given how we were playing before that.

Boro did make it very hard for us. They essentially parked the bus and were only interested in hitting us on the counter. We were very fortunate that the ref didn't award them a penalty in the first half. We could have easily been 1-0 down and with only 10 men on the pitch.

Boro did make it very hard for us. They essentially parked the bus and were only interested in hitting us on the counter. We were very fortunate that the ref didn't award them a penalty in the first half. We could have easily been 1-0 down and with only 10 men on the pitch.

Im still not sure if that was a penalty or not. If it wasnt for the arms being up I would have just called it more of a tangling of the legs.

Poor end to the season. Not because we missed out on Champions League, I expected that outcome. But because our captain thought it would be a great idea to get sent off before the cup final. If Gabriel and Mustafi aren't fit, we are looking at a back five of Gibbs, Monreal, Mertesacker, Holding and Bellerin. I'd want two (three at a push) out of those five for Saturday.

Still silver lining next season's season ticket is £200 cheaper.

That casual, goofy look Romero has had all night when holding the ball has been really irritating me. Such an unlikeable squad of players and manager.

Ajax were awful!

That casual, goofy look Romero has had all night when holding the ball has been really irritating me. Such an unlikeable squad of players and manager.

Ajax were awful!

What's so unlikeable about De Gea, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Valencia, Carrick, Martial, Blind, etc? Can't really complain about them being unlikeable.

It has to go down as a successful season. The goal was to get into the Champions League and Mourinho has done that and has won the Europa League and League Cup, too. Not bad for a boring team.

The platform is there for next season. We need another striker or two and a centre-back to partner Bailly. Almost one player needed in each position (keeper if De Gea goes, defence, midfield and striker).

What's so unlikeable about De Gea, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Valencia, Carrick, Martial, Blind, etc? Can't really complain about them being unlikeable.

It's probably a symptom of supporting a rival club but there's just something in my head that can't make sense of how anyone could like that team :heh:

To be honest, I wasn't that bothered who won tonight but United winning will feel a lot worse if Liverpool get knocked out in the qualifying round..

It has to go down as a successful season. The goal was to get into the Champions League and Mourinho has done that and has won the Europa League and League Cup, too. Not bad for a boring team.

The platform is there for next season. We need another striker or two and a centre-back to partner Bailly. Almost one player needed in each position (keeper if De Gea goes, defence, midfield and striker).

Glad you didn't call it a treble. Bit embarrassing from Mourinho to get his players holding up three fingers.