NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2016/17

Wouldn't be it be funny if we reciprocate Chelsea's win last year and beat Spurs for Chelsea to win the title!?

@Eenuh pulled a blinder and managed to organise a long weekend over in Manchester for us, including tickets to the game against Chelsea. We also went to the Arcade Club in Bury, which was just fantastic. :D

I know the atmosphere in Old Trafford often gets criticism, but I thought that the crowd were superb yesterday. Really, really fantastic. I checked up on the Red Cafe forums after the game and similar things were said there. Eenuh said that she had a sore throat after the game, so that's something, haha. The Stretford End and parts of the East Stand were just great for the entire match.

Rashford had an excellent game yesterday and just ran the Chelsea defence all over the place. However, I thought both Herrera and Fellaini were outstanding yesterday. I know Herrera is getting all of the plaudits as he man-marked Hazard out of the match (as well as assisting the first and scoring the second), but Fellaini was just fantastic to watch,too. He covered so much ground and was everywhere he needed to be. Herrera's movement and energy was crazy. I'm a massive fan of his and think it's only time before he's the next captain. A great team performance and a completely superb experience that I'll remember for a long time. :D

Wouldn't be it be funny if we reciprocate Chelsea's win last year and beat Spurs for Chelsea to win the title!?

Don't think about Chelsea think about how unbearable dazzy will be if they won.

Glad to see Zola has left Birmingham. Even as a Villa fan I felt bad for the Birmingham fans when they got rid of Rowett in December despite being 7th in the league. I hope this marks the end of Zola's managerial career, he has an absolutely atrocious record and clearly only gets hired because of the kind of player he was.

Rashford and Lingard were fantastic yesterday, I hope Mourinho utilises them in that formation more next season, it really suited them.

Tomorrow will mark the end of our Champions League efforts this season. Without Boateng, Hummels and Martinez we most likely don't stand a chance to advance. Lewandowski's return may give us a draw, though.

It's not the end of the world. Before the start of this season I predicted that we won't reach the semifinals in the CL because we need more time to improve as a team.

We need to get one or two players for next season and with Ancelotti I think we can achieve something great in 2017/2018.

The season after that will be very interesting...Robben and Ribery will retire and I'm not sure if Costa and Coman can get enough playtime next season to gain confidence and get better. Can't wait to see what FC Bayern has in store then.

Tomorrow will mark the end of our Champions League efforts this season. Without Boateng, Hummels and Martinez we most likely don't stand a chance to advance. Lewandowski's return may give us a draw, though.

It's not the end of the world. Before the start of this season I predicted that we won't reach the semifinals in the CL because we need more time to improve as a team.

We need to get one or two players for next season and with Ancelotti I think we can achieve something great in 2017/2018.

The season after that will be very interesting...Robben and Ribery will retire and I'm not sure if Costa and Coman can get enough playtime next season to gain confidence and get better. Can't wait to see what FC Bayern has in store then.

Chin up, you spanked us 10-2.

We finally won away. I'm currently sat on the coach home from Boro. Monday night matches for Sky Sports can fuck off.

Chin up, you spanked us 10-2.

I'd take a 5:1 in Madrid :D

But with our performances in the last 5 matches it's very unlikely that we win at all.

Happy to be proven wrong, though :D

So, John Terry is leaving Chelsea at the end of the season. Thoughts, Chelsea fans?

The question has to be asked, why the fuck was Ashley Young captain against Chelsea? I know the team lacked an established captain but looking at that line up, surely Valencia or De Gea were better choices than one of the scummiest players the league has seen?

Jesus Christ...

We had a chance and fucking blew it. Aside from Neuer, Hummels and Boateng noone was even close to their usual form. Unbelievable. Every single time we have a chance to do something great we drop the ball...:nono:

What Hummels and Boateng achieved, though...amazing. They weren't 100% fit but were still the best on the field. Absolutely incredible.

Poor decisions for the Vidal red card and Real's second goal. The refs love the Spanish clubs, watch Barca get a few dodgy decisions tonight.

Poor decisions for the Vidal red card and Real's second goal. The refs love the Spanish clubs, watch Barca get a few dodgy decisions tonight.

Indeed.

If Barca does it again tonight with the help of the refs I'll lose my shit...

I cannot freaking wait for video replays. It's been a horrible season in the Bundesliga. This is no joke: Literally every matchday at least one match is decided by a ref's mistake...

Edited by drahkon

I cannot freaking wait for video replays. It's been a horrible season in the Bundesliga. This is no joke: Literally every matchday at least one match is decided by a ref's mistake...

That's how it's been in the Premier League for a while now. So many points get lost due to an awful ref decision and a lot of the talking points with pundits are not how the teams have played but rather how the ref has performed.

That's a pretty crap way for Bayern to go out. I've seen multiple videos of Vidal's second yellow card and it's clearly not even a foul, let alone a red card.

I appreciate that it's difficult for ref's to make these decisions in real-time, so why are we still debating this and not just giving them the help that they need through technology? Now, instead of talking about what a great match it was, all of the focus is on the referee.

I still find it a bit questionable why we even learn about the referee's names. They should just be a presence to carry out the laws of the game. They are not celebrities.

I still find it a bit questionable why we even learn about the referee's names. They should just be a presence to carry out the laws of the game. They are not celebrities.

Totally agree. Especially in the Premier League some of these refs genuinely think they are someone. I'm looking at you Mike Dean. You're the ref, you're the equivalent of a dinner lady.

What are everyone's predictions for t' FA cup?

I reckon it's going to an Arsenal - Tottenham final, with Tottenham winning (and Arsene resigning straight afterwards).

I reckon it's going to an Arsenal - Tottenham final, with Tottenham winning (and Arsene resigning straight afterwards).

I think right now most Arsenal fans would take that if it meant Wenger leaving.

I think right now most Arsenal fans would take that if it meant Wenger leaving.

I don't know a single Arsenal fan that would want to lose to that lot, let alone a cup final.

I don't know a single Arsenal fan that would want to lose to that lot, let alone a cup final.

Yeah, most Arsenal fans I know wouldn't want to see Spurs win a trophy under any circumstances.

United's shooting/finishing yesterday was dreadful. Rashford looked good yesterday, but could have had a hat-trick. Ibra left his shooting boots at home and Pogba's missing from about a metre out was just weak. I remember watching United's warm-up before the Chelsea game and noted just how terrible the shooting was. In the same time that it took Chelsea to score a dozen goals in the warm-up, United had only scored one. You had shots that were going into the stands, shots straight at the goalkeeper and most of them going wide. They clearly don't do enough practice in training...

Aston Villa and Middlesbrough legend Ugo Ehiogu has died at the age of 44, makes me furious at the world that such a thoroughly nice guy would be cut down in his prime.

Aston Villa and Middlesbrough legend Ugo Ehiogu has died at the age of 44, makes me furious at the world that such a thoroughly nice guy would be cut down in his prime.

It really is sad. That Paul Merson video where he's in bits is very difficult to watch. A sad loss for the footballing world as he was still involved in it heavily and had a lot more to give.

R.I.P.

We played terribly today, our passing was completely off, with the exception of Luiz. Spurs played well and pressed us back for long spells... but we punished them when we ventured forward!

Zouma's reaction to Matic's thunderbolt was great...

Edited by Kav

OK so I was half right. The best kind of right.

So, Liverpool lost today and United beat Burnley. Liverpool are three points ahead but have played two games more.

It's going to be close. I think United will just miss out, due to too many draws. I don't think Arsenal will make it either.