NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2016/17

I wonder which Leicester will turn up against Sevilla...

There are so many to choose from!

I actually want to watch all of those. They could all be potentially great games.

Can see both Leicester and City progressing. Arsenal's is too close to call. Wouldn't be surprised if they go out on away goals.

Absolutely what I expect to happen. 2-0 loss away followed by a 3-1 win at home.

I do think we've got it in us to get through this season though.

I'm bored of playing Barca or Bayern. I'd have preferred Madrid even if they're more likely to beat us.

Madrid are easy. Everyone beats them over 90 mins. Just make sure you take out Ramos in the 89th minute so he can't do his thing after that.

Has anyone else heard this talk about Chelsea's Oscar in a £60million move to Shanghai? Where did that come from?!

I had a bad feeling about tonight, looks like it was right on the money. I hope this was only a blip and Chelsea drop points but against Sunderland I'd bank on another Chelsea victory.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Has anyone else heard this talk about Chelsea's Oscar in a £60million move to Shanghai? Where did that come from?!

I've seen a reported £52m on SkySports. I'd like Chelsea to take that but not look to buy a replacement, I'd just promote Lewis Baker to take his place in the squad. He's a talented lad and deserves a chance!

I just find it bizarre for players like Oscar, Pelle and Ramires who are regulars for their national sides and could still do a job for many clubs in Europe decide to move to a more inferior league. Obviously the money is a big draw, but they could still earn thousands a week playing in Europe and have the opportunity to play in prestigious competitions against big opposition, it seems almost like they're giving up on having a competitive career by taking the money and moving to China. I understood it when Drogba and Anelka made the move, they were coming to the end of their careers and China is an interesting country with a rapidly growing football culture, but to go in the prime of your career is crazy.

I wouldn't feel too bad if I were an Arsenal fan, finish 2nd and they'll get Barca of course, but first would get them Bayern Munich this year.

Why do I never gamble on my good hunches :|

I just find it bizarre for players like Oscar, Pelle and Ramires who are regulars for their national sides and could still do a job for many clubs in Europe decide to move to a more inferior league. Obviously the money is a big draw, but they could still earn thousands a week playing in Europe and have the opportunity to play in prestigious competitions against big opposition, it seems almost like they're giving up on having a competitive career by taking the money and moving to China. I understood it when Drogba and Anelka made the move, they were coming to the end of their careers and China is an interesting country with a rapidly growing football culture, but to go in the prime of your career is crazy.

IF someone were to offer me £500k a week I'd be there in a heartbeat. Not only will they be set up for life but generations of their family will be too on wages like that.

IF someone were to offer me £500k a week I'd be there in a heartbeat. Not only will they be set up for life but generations of their family will be too on wages like that.

Yeah, we'd both jump at that chance. But, that's because we're not earning 90k a week in the first place, which is what Oscar is reported to be earning.

Sure, for an easy life, take the 500k. But, he's 23, playing for one of the best teams in the world already in one of the best leagues in the world. In footballer's terms, Oscar could probably negotiate with Chelsea and get more than 90k a week if the money was an issue.

These are crazy sums of money anyway. 90 grand a week is £360,000 a month! That's without sponsorship deals and the extras. It's not like it's a choice between being shit-poor and rich out of your fucking mind; it's a choice between being exceedingly rich and so rich that you shit money. At the heart of it, he's a footballer and job satisfaction has to play an enormous factor, too. He's playing against the best teams in the world at Chelsea, along with the best players, best coaching staff, best managers, etc. He could become an even better player if he continues to develop at that club

I'm failing to see how Chelsea can lose the title from here. These 1-0 wins are what their previous triumphs have been based on, their defense is the one thing no other title challenger have.

How did we get to the point that if we don't win today we'll be 9 points off top...

I'm failing to see how Chelsea can lose the title from here. These 1-0 wins are what their previous triumphs have been based on, their defense is the one thing no other title challenger have.

Crazy talk, long long long way to go. I think Chelseas complete lack of shots on target will end up undoing them; they can't be this clinical the whole season. Spurs will break them in January like we broke "invincible" Man City who haven't recovered since we demolished them.

Crazy talk, long long long way to go. I think Chelseas complete lack of shots on target will end up undoing them; they can't be this clinical the whole season. Spurs will break them in January like we broke "invincible" Man City who haven't recovered since we demolished them.

Spurs taking the "Liverpool Mentality" to new heights.

"There's always next month!"

"January will be our month!"

"Just you wait 'til next month!"

:D

Spurs taking the "Liverpool Mentality" to new heights.

"There's always next month!"

"January will be our month!"

"Just you wait 'til next month!"

:D

I'm not said we'll do it. I'm just saying I don't think it's done and dusted!

I'm not said we'll do it. I'm just saying I don't think it's done and dusted!

It's not over, but I will say that I do think that they'll win the league. You don't need to pump teams 4 or 5-0 to win it, you just need to be able to grind out wins and find a way to snatch goals. Chelsea are jammy enough to be able to do that and they can play badly and still win games 1 or 2-0.

Kante has been an enormous signing for them. He does the work of two midfielders and is an absolute rock. It's allowed the other more attacking players to do their bit because they know that Kante is cleaning things up behind them. The only way I can see them slipping up is if they get seriously unlucky with injuries to the likes of Kante, Costa, Hazard, Courtois and Cahill.

It's not over, but I will say that I do think that they'll win the league. You don't need to pump teams 4 or 5-0 to win it, you just need to be able to grind out wins and find a way to snatch goals. Chelsea are jammy enough to be able to do that and they can play badly and still win games 1 or 2-0.

Kante has been an enormous signing for them. He does the work of two midfielders and is an absolute rock. It's allowed the other more attacking players to do their bit because they know that Kante is cleaning things up behind them. The only way I can see them slipping up is if they get seriously unlucky with injuries to the likes of Kante, Costa, Hazard, Courtois and Cahill.

I think they will, but it's very fickle to declare not being able to see any other possibility because of this amazing run. People were thinking Conte was going to be sacked after the first half a dozen games. Things can change quickly! People thought Man City were invincible at the beginning of the season!

Until spurs played them...

I'm loathe to agree with the Dazzler but it wasn't long ago people were calling for Conte's head and now he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The probably I have with Chelsea is they're so reliant on Diego Costa's goals to win. An injury for him could cause some problems.

I think they will, but it's very fickle to declare not being able to see any other possibility because of this amazing run. People were thinking Conte was going to be sacked after the first half a dozen games. Things can change quickly! People thought Man City were invincible at the beginning of the season!

Until spurs played them...

Just bolding the first part to show that we're basically agreeing about the most important point. :heh:

Sure, they could (and probably will) drop points in games that they're expected to win. Football is unpredictable. Leicester winning the league is a testament to that. But, based on what we've seen so far with performances and results, Chelsea are clearly head and shoulders above the rest in terms of grinding out wins. They've got the best goal difference in the league and have conceded the least amount of goals.

I do also think that final top four is more or less what it'll look like at the end of the season. I'd even say that the top six looks about right, too. We're in the same boat as we both need Arsenal (and preferably Liverpool) to slip up and have a poor second half of the season.

One thing you can always rely on. Arsenal will always disappoint you.

I watched the game and couldn't believe the difference in Arsenal either side of half time. They were excellent in the first half and kept it tight against City. They weren't the same team after half time. No intensity, no grit and too many players not doing what they should have been. A really strange performance from them and I couldn't believe what I was watching.

However, both of City's goals were offside. The first one is a close decision and I can see why the linesman didn't give it as it is fractional, but it's still offside. The second goal, however, is a piss take. David Silva is clearly offside according to the current interpretation of the law. He's stood in a position so close to the goalkeeper that he interferes with play. Clear offside.

City were still the much better team, imo. Sane looked excellent in the second half.

Just bolding the first part to show that we're basically agreeing about the most important point. :heh:

Sure, they could (and probably will) drop points in games that they're expected to win. Football is unpredictable. Leicester winning the league is a testament to that. But, based on what we've seen so far with performances and results, Chelsea are clearly head and shoulders above the rest in terms of grinding out wins. They've got the best goal difference in the league and have conceded the least amount of goals.

I do also think that final top four is more or less what it'll look like at the end of the season. I'd even say that the top six looks about right, too. We're in the same boat as we both need Arsenal (and preferably Liverpool) to slip up and have a poor second half of the season.

I watched the game and couldn't believe the difference in Arsenal either side of half time. They were excellent in the first half and kept it tight against City. They weren't the same team after half time. No intensity, no grit and too many players not doing what they should have been. A really strange performance from them and I couldn't believe what I was watching.

However, both of City's goals were offside. The first one is a close decision and I can see why the linesman didn't give it as it is fractional, but it's still offside. The second goal, however, is a piss take. David Silva is clearly offside according to the current interpretation of the law. He's stood in a position so close to the goalkeeper that he interferes with play. Clear offside.

City were still the much better team, imo. Sane looked excellent in the second half.

Classic Wenger really. The players are fucked. He insists on playing the same team every week, only making subs come the 70th minute. Every fucking year, there's no rotation, players are dead on their feet. It's no coincidence we've traditionally been wank come Christmas time, all our key players get fucked because they've already played so much football without a break.

Chelsea will be without Costa and Kante in their next match so this will be a test. If they can win without them I would be inclined to think the title is on it's way to stamford bridge.

Chelsea will be without Costa and Kante in their next match so this will be a test. If they can win without them I would be inclined to think the title is on it's way to stamford bridge.

Home to Bournemouth you're seeing as a good test? Interesting....

Home to Bournemouth you're seeing as a good test? Interesting....

They did beat Liverpool, could be a tough game if they raise their performance. Still, we've seen off harder tests and should win this. Losing Kante and Costa isn't an excuse, it's not like our squad depth is poor!

So, £60m for Oscar it is (sale is agreed, price is just the reported price).

Definitely a great deal for Chelsea. He's got talent but only ever shows it in flashes, it's a great price for us!

I still stand by saying we should bring back Lewis Baker and put him into the fold rather than buy, he's more than ready to join the squad!