NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Classic Mini (NES) - November 11

CnUur6JWAAET3Wx.jpg

30 Classic NES games built in

REDMOND, Wash., July 14, 2016 – If you see a Nintendo Entertainment System on store shelves this holiday shopping season, you haven’t entered a time machine. (Unless everyone around you is wearing acid-washed jeans and neon leg warmers. If that’s the case, you may have unknowingly walked through a rift in the space-time continuum.) The most likely scenario is you are setting eyes on the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition, launching in stores on Nov. 11 at a suggested retail price of $59.99. That’s right: The NES is back! But this isn’t the same NES that you fondly remember. This new nostalgia-fueled system is a near-identical, mini replica of Nintendo’s original home console and plugs directly into your high-definition TV using an included HDMI cable. The console comes complete with 30 NES games built in, including beloved classics like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN, and Kirby’s Adventure.

“We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo’s original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place,” said Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. “The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers.”

The system comes packaged with an HDMI cable, an AC adapter and one NES Classic Controller, which is patterned after the iconic design of the original NES controller. But you really just want to know the full list of 30 games, right? Feast your eyes on the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system:

Balloon Fight™

BUBBLE BOBBLE

Castlevania™

Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™

Donkey Kong™

Donkey Kong Jr. ™

DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE

Dr. Mario™

Excitebike™

FINAL FANTASY®

Galaga™

GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®

GRADIUS™

Ice Climber™

Kid Icarus™

Kirby’s Adventure™

Mario Bros. ™

MEGA MAN® 2

Metroid™

NINJA GAIDEN

PAC-MAN™

Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream

StarTropics™

SUPER C™

Super Mario Bros.™

Super Mario Bros. ™ 2

Super Mario Bros. ™ 3

TECMO BOWL

The Legend of Zelda™

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

There’s a little something for everyone: a nice mix of timeless favorites, cult classics and maybe even some games that you never got around to playing. Each is sure to bring back memories and produce plenty of new ones. You can even enjoy playing several of these games with two players by attaching a second NES Classic Controller, which will be sold separately at a suggested retail price of $9.99. A Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro can also be used (each sold separately).

When connected to a Wii Remote controller, the NES Classic Controller can also be used to play Virtual Console NES games on a Wii U or Wii system. Playing these retro games using a retro controller makes the experience that much more authentic. And if you ever need to step away from the NES Classic Edition in the middle of a tough level (or take a break to call one of Nintendo’s helpful Game Counselors*), don’t worry about losing any hard-earned progress. Each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time, no passwords needed.

What’s old is new again with the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. Relive past glories. Finish off that boss you never beat. Save the galaxy and rescue the princess!

*Please only call if you have indeed entered a time machine. The Game Counselor program no longer exists in 2016.

ET2RTWu.jpg

Still have a bunch of these on the original NES but I am HAVING THIS.

WTF!? Where the hell did THIS come from!?

I already own most of those on the VC, but I'll pick this up for sure! I need that NES CC!

Such a weird move for Nintendo to release a custom device like this. I wonder if it's actually a re-purposed Wii mini with a HDMI port on the inside...

Edited by Dcubed

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system*, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller.

*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

God damn it, NOE

Wouldn't be Nintendo if they didn't pull out a WTF moment every few months.

This'll do crazy business at Christmas, especially at such a great price. Just $10 for an extra controller too!

This'll do crazy business at Christmas, especially at such a great price. Just $10 for an extra controller too!

Indeed.

Cracking price + Christmas season x nostalgia = WIN.

I wonder if you can plug the USB into a television USB ala ChomeCast.

Although $60 will probably be £150 here by the time November rolls around :heh: Note: UK press release makes no mention of price.

I'm tempted to get it but I just dont have the space and considering I already have most of the games and a Retron 5 already hooked up I just dont think I can justify it. Plus I still have my original NES tucked away somewhere.

Still pretty cool though for people who dont have access to that stuff.

That's one way of plugging the hole that their non-existent Xmas lineup left :p

I wonder if you can plug the USB into a television USB ala ChomeCast.

If it provides power, it will work. So, yes. You could even plug it into a PS4.

It's a very smart move and much more future proof than the Virtual Console.

Being picky I'd have liked to see Marble Madness and the original Probotector instead of the sequel.

This looks fantastic, i'll definitely be picking one up even if it's just as a collector's item. I'm sure it will look great just on a shelf. I wonder if they'll do the same for the SNES too if this is successful.

Interesting idea: do you think the internals of this could actually be the Wii Mini?

(of course, hacking it won't be that great as it won't have the Bluetooth chip)

This looks fantastic, i'll definitely be picking one up even if it's just as a collector's item. I'm sure it will look great just on a shelf. I wonder if they'll do the same for the SNES too if this is successful.

Well they've already manufactured the SNES CC and this NES thing is probably just a repackaged Wii mini, so the SNES VC games are already good to go to be put into an equivalent SNES Mini.

I'd say it's just a matter of time.

Interesting idea: do you think the internals of this could actually be the Wii Mini?

(of course, hacking it won't be that great as it won't have the Bluetooth chip)

Beat you to it bub ;) And yes, I'd be shocked if it wasn't a repackaged Wii Mini. Every single game included in this thing (with the sole exception of Dr Mario) is available on the US Wii VC, so the emulation work was already done; plus they would've had the chips just lying around collecting dust from how little of them they sold, so it's a cheap way of offloading them.

Edited by Dcubed

Being picky I'd have liked to see Marble Madness and the original Probotector instead of the sequel.

Curious how you think its "more" future proof than the VC. There's no indication that more games will be made available and as far as I can tell there would be no way of updating this console (i.e. no network connection). Unless you mean the hardware won't be replaced every few years when a new console comes out and won't have to re-buy the titles?

If it provides power, it will work. So, yes. You could even plug it into a PS4.

Someone did point out the press release lists an AC adaptor as "required", so it depends if they count something like a TV/PS4 as one!

("they" being technology...)

Edited by Ashley

Perfect nostalgia at Christmas, would be interested in what price Nintendo will sell it in the UK/EU.

Wow, out of the blue! Nice collector's item, and fun to hook up to an old (although not too old due to HDMI) TV or screen. The controller looks to be a 1 on 1 copy of the original so that is great. Too bad that one is not USB otherwise you could also use it for Raspberry Pi and the likes.

Shame for everyone who has bought all this on VC, since this sounds like a great deal for $2 per game including free hardware.

Yeah Probotector 1 is much better, but I believe on the current VC also only part 2 is available so it is probably a license thing.

Edited by Vileplume2000

This pic just makes me smile

CnUur6JWAAET3Wx.jpg

Curious how you think its "more" future proof than the VC. There's no indication that more games will be made available and as far as I can tell there would be no way of updating this console (i.e. no network connection). Unless you mean the hardware won't be replaced every few years when a new console comes out and won't have to re-buy the titles?

I meant the latter, yes

I have dreamed of them doing this for years. Hopefully they'll do it for the SNES one day.

Just the other day I was thinking there was no way Nintendo would get me to buy my VC games again....