Mr-Paul

EU Referendum - In/Out?

The EU?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. The EU?

• In
    • Out
    • Shake it all about

How are the results of this vote being counted?

Is it purely the number of people voting leave vs the number of people voting remain, at a country wide level. Or is it this constituency voted remain so 1 point for remain, etc.

I'm presuming it's the former but if it's the latter then isn't there a chance that more people vote remain but leave wins or vice versa?

It's pure numbers.

Referendums are just opinion polls, so having it done based on constituency doesn't really fit.

Parliament is not required to act on them, either. If it's really close (as in like 51% for leave), then I imagine Parliament would use its power to say "No, it's too close, we're staying in".

How are the results of this vote being counted?

Is it purely the number of people voting leave vs the number of people voting remain, at a country wide level. Or is it this constituency voted remain so 1 point for remain, etc.

I'm presuming it's the former but if it's the latter then isn't there a chance that more people vote remain but leave wins or vice versa?

Country wide level. Therefore there are no wasted votes. No one therefore has an excuse not to vote on the basis that "it won't count".

The UK for the referendum is being split up for the count into regions but then the total of those regions will be fed into a nationwide result. The winner will be who comes out on top of the national result.

Parliament is not required to act on them, either. If it's really close (as in like 51% for leave), then I imagine Parliament would use its power to say "No, it's too close, we're staying in".

Serebii is right

Parliament is sovereign so it is only Parliament that can act. Referendums are not legally binding upon Parliament.

That said should Parliament not respect the referendum result because the country had got the result "wrong" then in my opinion it would be political suicide and absolutely undemocratic.

Imagine if Scotland voted for independence but Parliament ignored it. There would have been riots on the streets of Edinburgh with Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon declaring unilateral independence and rightly so!

Edited by Blade
Automerged Doublepost

Serebii is right

Parliament is sovereign so it is only Parliament that can act. Referendums are not legally binding upon Parliament.

That said should Parliament not respect the referendum result because the country had got the result "wrong" then in my opinion it would be political suicide and absolutely undemocratic.

Imagine if Scotland voted for independence but Parliament ignored it. There would be riots on the streets of Edinburgh with Alex Salamon declaring unilateral independence.

Yeah. I only expect Parliament to go "against" the referendum if it's like 50.1-53% in favour of leave, because that's way too close for it to be acceptable. If it's bordering on 50/50 leave/stay then they can't in good conscience leave.

Guys, why are people scared if we stay or leave? Either way, we are screwed and always will be. We're in the EU right now and look how fucked everything is anyway. If we leave, we are still fucked but it's whether we get dinner before we get screwed or we just get fucked over anyway. Right now, I don't get dinner so voting leave may get me a steak, pmsl

Also, the majority of people I know as well as Twitter are voting "leave" as am I.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No, the only way to obtain change is to vote out. We won't have to then worry about the EU's lack of democracy and accountability.

I'm tired of the Remain side attacking the Leave side as "racists and bigots". Its boring and an unfair accusation to make generally.

I firmly believe that in the end the UK can economically flourish outside the EU. I would like to see this country not being subject to laws passed by a parliament that doesn't have the UK's interest at heart. Not to be subject to laws that are decided and enforced by a non-British Commission and interpreted by a non-British Court. These institutions care for the EU as a whole, not the UK. I don't want to see such bodies having so much power over member states.

I'd be more than happy to accept freedom of movement for the internal market. Inmigration is not the problem its made out to be in this country. Its this wretched Tory government destroying it that is.

I don't want the UK to be part of the EU with its ultimate aims of total integration.

Power should be devolved as much as possible. The EU is the opposite to this. Centralist and full of power hungry politicians from the rich mans club. Lets create a truly federal UK and also while we are at it reform the House of Lords to make it an elected and therefore accountable body.

You and I have exactly the same views on this and I'm sick of the 'racist' thing too. I'm not saying they are on here but people wanting to remain do so because they don't want to be branded as one or they just want to be PC so I don't like talking about it to people. Don't get me wrong, some people do vote for the entire reason for immigration control and nothing else but I've liked it here because you've been on the same wavelength as me about it

On here, I like it because there have been legitimate reasons on both sides that have made me think a lot about it but in the end, I actually agree with everything you've said.

Edited by Animal

Guys, why are people scared if we stay or leave? Either way, we are screwed and always will be. We're in the EU right now and look how fucked everything is anyway. If we leave, we are still fucked but it's whether we get dinner before we get screwed or we just get fucked over anyway. Right now, I don't get dinner so voting leave may get me a steak, pmsl

Also, the majority of people I know as well as Twitter are voting "leave" as am I.

You and I have exactly the same views on this and I'm sick of the 'racist' thing too. I'm not saying they are on here but people wanting to remain do so because they don't want to be branded as one or they just want to be PC so I don't like talking about it to people. Don't get me wrong, some people do vote for the entire reason for immigration control and nothing else but I've liked it here because you've been on the same wavelength as me about it

On here, I like it because there have been legitimate reasons on both sides that have made me think a lot about it but in the end, I actually agree with everything you've said.

I imagine the two main reasons why people would vote to remain are:

Economic uncertainty should we leave. No one really knows what would happen. I personally think we are quite capable of obtaining favourable trade agreements with other countries. Others are less optimistic

Being governed by a very right wing government. I also worry about this but we wouldn't have anything to worry about should the remainers vote for a strong labour government.

I think the referendum result will be to remain. The UK is generally a conservative (small 'c') country. This is all familiar. Like the Indy ref I think people will generally stick with the status quo but there will be a sizeable minority voting to leave.

Economic uncertainty should we leave. No one really knows what would happen. I personally think we are quite capable of obtaining favourable trade agreements with other countries. Others are less optimistic

Being governed by a very right wing government. I also worry about this but we wouldn't have anything to worry about should the remainers vote for a strong labour government.

I think the referendum result will be to remain. The UK is generally a conservative (small 'c') country. This is all familiar. Like the Indy ref I think people will generally stick with the status quo but there will be a sizeable minority voting to leave.

I'm actually hoping we leave but I remember someone saying that if we did leave, this could lead us to put up with the Tories more or less on a permanent basis. This is the only thing I struggle to understand as to why this would be...

I'm actually hoping we leave but I remember someone saying that if we did leave, this could lead us to put up with the Tories more or less on a permanent basis. This is the only thing I struggle to understand as to why this would be...

Then in the next general election you should vote for a party that isn't Conservative, UKIP or any other right wing one :)

Then in the next general election you should vote for a party that isn't Conservative, UKIP or any other right wing one :)

Vote for me.

If you were running I'd vote for you.

:P

I never voted Tories in the first place, haha

I think there's another third option - those that see the genuine benefits of the EU in their daily life. I work in academia (granted on a part-time basis now) and the amount of money that goes into research from the EU, and the fact the research community is helped by the EU (free movement etc etc) means it is more beneficial for the industry to remain in than out.

Likewise obviously the counter to this is those wishing to leave because they see negative impacts in their daily life.

I think the basis (or one basis) goes along the lines of - if we leave there's a chance Cameron will be booted out. Johnson may likely take over and he's absurdly popular and trusted (in spite of being fired for lying twice...) and people would swing towards him (as opposed to the party) and they'd remain in power because of that.

I think that's the argument. So it's not really people voting for the party as much as the presumed leader.

I think the main argument is that Scotland will have another referendum, and leave, thus taking most of the left wing voters with them.

We're in the EU right now and look how fucked everything is anyway.

Things seem pretty good to me.

I think the main argument is that Scotland will have another referendum, and leave, thus taking most of the left wing voters with them.

I propose a Celtic Union - Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Oh yeah and that.

--------

Cle3tpXXIAA3NRD.jpg

Ah it'll be okay then :heh:

The Harrogate area (and north Leeds) are generally quite conservative leaning, with farming being the historic industry and land owners/farmers seems to generally be against the EU or quotas etc of it

Am i right in thinking that? not often i go to Harrogate, despite my relative proximity to it

Yeah your view of Harrogate is absolutely spot on....even has a conservative members pub in the city centre that's always full!

You and I have very different views on 'fucked' it would seem.

In general the people of the United Kingdom live quite well.

Also eating a heavy dinner like steak before sex is ill-advised for shall we say various reasons...

The question is when? When will it happen?

If the UK votes to leave the European Union then Scotland will pull another referendum within the next few years.

If the UK votes to stay in the European Union then Scotland will pull another referendum only a bit later.

Regardless of what happens on the 23rd June, another Scottish referendum is on its way.

The question is when? When will it happen?

If the UK votes to leave the European Union then Scotland will pull another referendum within the next few years.

If the UK votes to stay in the European Union then Scotland will pull another referendum only a bit later.

Regardless of what happens on the 23rd June, another Scottish referendum is on its way.

But if the UK votes to leave, Scotland will almost certainly vote to leave the UK. But if we vote to stay then they'll almost certainly stay in the UK.

But if the UK votes to leave, Scotland will almost certainly vote to leave the UK. But if we vote to stay then they'll almost certainly stay in the UK.

So you're saying we should move to Scotland, that way we win either way? :p

I don't understand this - in the same paragraph you lament on having enough of the "racist thing" yet acknowledge a good deal of Brexit voters are voting because essentially they are racist...

How about we face up to these critical issues instead of being 'sick' of them?

Profoundly racist people are backing Brexit simply for the sake of 'closing the boarders'. Which in essence is fine, but I hope if we do leave Europe closes their boarders to us so we can get the same middle finger treatment anytime we feel like migrating to better climates etc.

I don't understand this - in the same paragraph you lament on having enough of the "racist thing" yet acknowledge a good deal of Brexit voters are voting because essentially they are racist...

How about we face up to these critical issues instead of being 'sick' of them?

Profoundly racist people are backing Brexit simply for the sake of 'closing the boarders'. Which in essence is fine, but I hope if we do leave Europe closes their boarders to us so we can get the same middle finger treatment anytime we feel like migrating to better climates etc.

I think you've misunderstood. I know people irl who are voting to leave literally JUST because of immigration and nothing more but I also know some people who have more reasons to vote leave. I've not branded anybody a racist at all.

I bet £10 each way on the outcome, so either way, i'm happy.

A YouTuber I met at a party once (that might be the most millenial thing I've ever written) is at the debate tonight and is just posting updates about which celebrities he's spotting. More entertaining than I'm sure the debate will be (I'm just kind of worn out by the whole thing now).

I'm also kind of dreading waking up on Friday morning right now.