EU Referendum - In/Out?

The EU?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. The EU?

• In
    • Out
    • Shake it all about

Top EU leader: we want Britain out as soon as possible

European parliament president Martin Schulz says lawyers are studying possibility of speeding up British exit

A senior EU leader has confirmed the bloc wants Britain out as soon as possible, warning that David Cameron’s decision to delay the start of Brexit negotiations until his successor is in place may not be fast enough.

Martin Schulz, the president of the European parliament, told the Guardian that EU lawyers were studying whether it was possible to speed up the triggering of article 50 – the untested procedure for leaving the European Union.

“Uncertainty is the opposite of what we need,” Schulz said, adding that it was difficult to accept that “a whole continent is taken hostage because of an internal fight in the Tory party”.

“I doubt it is only in the hands of the government of the United Kingdom,” he said. “We have to take note of this unilateral declaration that they want to wait until October, but that must not be the last word.”

This is what stepping out of the conversation looks like; you don't really get to object and you lose control.

I'm seeing a lot of scared and uncertain posts on Facebook by my fellow EU migrants living in the UK. Everyone is wondering what will happen with EU migrants living here, if we will be allowed to stay or if special rules will apply.

They might not kick us out (yet), but I do think things are going to become a lot more difficult for people to keep living and working here. Visas might be required, more paperwork will be involved, people will be forced to get British citizenship (which is stupidly expensive)... I imagine a lot of employers will not want to bother with all this either, especially if it is going to cause more hassle for them.

I've already seen people mention that their work is telling them their offices will likely move to the continent now after this result. That's hundreds/thousands of jobs that could/will be lost. :(

Its always less about the facts and economics than people make them to be. That has happened again here. I hope the country does well.

As someone who is looking to make a career change to move into working in the NHS very shortly, I'm fucking terrified right now!

As someone who is physically suffering life changing damage (that could have been very easily prevented if anyone actually 'cared' or 'listened') at the hands of the NHS i hope things work out for you. Seeing more people suffer needlesly isnt nice.

At least GAF are still delivering with the GIF's even if they are depressingly accurate...

SilkyBoringHorsechestnutleafminer.gif

EDIT: That said...

Cltl4jFWEAEbnun.jpg

Question 2 makes me genuinely embarrassed.

Edited by Glen-i

This is what stepping out of the conversation looks like; you don't really get to object and you lose control.

Hasn't been decided by parliament yet. All this is is an opinion poll. Parliament can still say "yeah no", and I wouldn't be surprised considering the massive fallout thus far

At least GAF are still delivering with the GIF's even if they are depressingly accurate...

This cracked me up

qqSW4cCl.jpg

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Hasn't been decided by parliament yet. All this is is an opinion poll. Parliament can still say "yeah no", and I wouldn't be surprised considering the massive fallout thus far

*Crosses fingers*

*Crosses fingers*

Cameron is on his way out anyway. He could be a complete dick and veto it.

Expected a much worse end to the UK markets at today's close. Looks like Carney and the BoE did something good to help allay fears there at least. Still not happy with the current outcome but much better than I felt this morning.

SilkyBoringHorsechestnutleafminer.gif

Cltl4jFWEAEbnun.jpg

That Python gif is gold!

those google search results........ https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

if people who have no idea what they were doing voted, then perhaps i'm now questioning if democracy works

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/brexit-won-vote-remain-eu-article-50-lisbon-treaty-referendum-david-cameron

Interesting article on the fact that @Serebii has touched upon - the UK is still a member of the EU.

It is possible that the government will not commence the procedure of withdrawal for a number of months to assess the mood of the nation and then call for a second vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/brexit-won-vote-remain-eu-article-50-lisbon-treaty-referendum-david-cameron

Interesting article on the fact that @Serebii has touched upon - the UK is still a member of the EU.

It is possible that the government will not commence the procedure of withdrawal for a number of months to assess the mood of the nation and then call for a second vote.

Entirely possible, it would be political suicide for him, but what does he have to loose?

I'm seeing a lot of scared and uncertain posts on Facebook by my fellow EU migrants living in the UK. Everyone is wondering what will happen with EU migrants living here, if we will be allowed to stay or if special rules will apply.

They might not kick us out (yet), but I do think things are going to become a lot more difficult for people to keep living and working here. Visas might be required, more paperwork will be involved, people will be forced to get British citizenship (which is stupidly expensive)... I imagine a lot of employers will not want to bother with all this either, especially if it is going to cause more hassle for them.

I've already seen people mention that their work is telling them their offices will likely move to the continent now after this result. That's hundreds/thousands of jobs that could/will be lost. :(

The uncertainty and anxiety that comes with it must be pretty horrible - tbh you're one of the few people I know well enough in the position however so I'm really valuing your thoughts on the whole thing. As said, I doubt they'll be kicking anyone out but if there's new regulation to come in etc then it might be a pain in the arse for you - just take solace that it's not something that's going to happen tomorrow - we've still got a lot of time for this transition to settle and take place yet.

It's a shame about the latter aspect though. That was one of my concerns. It's all going to be time though, seeing what comes of this in the long run. I can understand people's upset at the moment, and whilst what is happening right now certainly isn't great(the pound losing so much value etc) it's still just Day 1. The issue I had with Leaving is that it's an unknown - and it still is and will be for a foreseeable while; but the votes done now, the decisions made - what else can we do? It was fully democratic - I don't understand how or why people can be so upset about that when it's what gets cried for at every election. Sure, it's shit when it doesn't go your way - but if you had your vote and you used it, you counted exactly as much as your neighbour. I wish we could have that happen so much more often in politics.

Yeah, and I mean, even then, it will take at least 2 years, possibly as many as 7, for us to leave, and it'll be another 10 or 15 after that until we can tell for sure whether or not leaving was a good idea.

Interesting to note that it was the 45-64 year olds who were outright responsible for us leaving, and as I'm only 17 years old, it's fair to say that it'll likely be those around my age up to the current 30 year olds who will likely have to figure things out in 10/20 years time in the event things really go down hill.

But, you know, that's none totally my business, so I shouldn't be able to vote. On the plus side, at least Cameron's out.

on the down side, we're living in a world where Boris Johnson could be PM and Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton will be President, but, you know - no biggie

I find it absolutely sickening that Sturgeon is using this to further her agenda. She calls it democratically unacceptable for Scotland to be taking out of the EU against it's will yet she has no problem forcing another independence referendum down the throats of the 55% percent who dismissed the last independence referendum.

I find it absolutely sickening that Sturgeon is using this to further her agenda. She calls it democratically unacceptable for Scotland to be taking out of the EU against it's will yet she has no problem forcing another independence referendum down the throats of the 55% percent who dismissed the last independence referendum.

The last referendum was about being part of a union which was part of the EU. Now it is not. She has every right, given exactly how Scotland voted, to call another one.

The last referendum was about being part of a union which was part of the EU. Now it is not. She has every right, given exactly how Scotland voted, to call another one.

It was about being part of the Union, i.e. the United Kingdom. People voted to stay in that, not as the SNP would have you believe, exclusively staying in the EU.

It was about being part of the Union, i.e. the United Kingdom. People voted to stay in that, not as the SNP would have you believe, exclusively staying in the EU.

Yes but back then being part of the Union also meant being part of the EU.

Would the result have been the same had people known the UK would leave the EU a couple of years later?

Yes but back then being part of the Union also meant being part of the EU.

Would the result have been the same had people known the UK would leave the EU a couple of years later?

Well an independent Scotland would still have to leave the EU for a substantial period.

Edited by Jon

Scotland has had this decision forced upon them. They have constantly been on the receiving end of ill conceived Tory policies and in-fighting since the Thatcher days, despite the Tories having absolutely no support in Scotland!

In my opinion they have a stronger than ever mandate to choose their own way out of this mess. Are we really prepared to just ignore the democratically supported wishes of Scotland's governing party because they had a (very close, btw) referendum only two years ago in a Great Britain that looked very, very different from the one this morning?

As a half-Scot, I would be proud if Scotland could initiate a progressive answer to the vile and base rhetoric and politics currently swamping the UK and leave it.

The road may be long and immensely complicated, but it beats the alternative option of isolationism by a country mile.

Scotland has had this decision forced upon them. They have constantly been on the receiving end of ill conceived Tory policies and in-fighting since the Thatcher days, despite the Tories having absolutely no support in Scotland!

In my opinion they have a stronger than ever mandate to choose their own way out of this mess. Are we really prepared to just ignore the democratically supported wishes of Scotland's governing party because they had a (very close, btw) referendum only two years ago in a Great Britain that looked very, very different from the one this morning?

As a half-Scot, I would be proud if Scotland could initiate a progressive answer to the vile and base rhetoric and politics currently swamping the UK and leave it.

The road may be long and immensely complicated, but it beats the alternative option of isolationism by a country mile.

It really wasn't close at all 55% to 45%. As a full-Scot, this is not something I want to see, I voted no because I wanted to stay part of the United Kingdom. Did I want us to leave the EU? Absolutely not but in no way do I suddenly want to be an independent country. Have the Conservatives served as well? No they have not but this it's short sighted too look back just a few years. Scotland thrived under Labour a decade ago and i'm sure they'll come a time when the Tories are not the ones calling the shots.

Scotland thrived under Labour a decade ago and i'm sure they'll come a time when the Tories are not the ones calling the shots.

By all accounts Labour are finished north of the border, particularly in the region of Glasgow where my family are from. They have an almost impossible task in taking back support from the SNP. Were the UK still in the EU I'd also have likely voted no in favour of more devolution. Now, I don't see another option.

I'm now sat here contemplating whether I should advise my Italian friend who was supposed to be coming to my hometown next weekend to not bother. It's always had race issues and given reports from across the country some idiots are taking this result as justification to be outright racist. I'm not sure if I want to inflict that.

I'm now sat here contemplating whether I should advise my Italian friend who was supposed to be coming to my hometown next weekend to not bother. It's always had race issues and given reports from across the country some idiots are taking this result as justification to be outright racist. I'm not sure if I want to inflict that.

Is he coming to visit you? I personally think you should encourage to come for the main reason to show that the majority in this country are not racist, bigoted or intolerant at all.