Mr-Paul

EU Referendum - In/Out?

The EU?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. The EU?

• In
    • Out
    • Shake it all about

Who wants to move to Scotland? They seem to be on the ball.

Should have held off a day to be paid. I'd be like £900 richer :p

I hope that "sovereignty" is worth the destruction of the United Kingdom, the end of free trade with the EU, the end of free movement throughout the EU, the destruction of our economy, the likely dismantling of the entire EU, and the ruination of millions of livlihoods throughout the world as we probably slip into another global recession (one which will have dire consequences that extend beyond the economic impact and into the political landscape of the entire world).

You do not know this.

But okay apparently im racist as I voted out.

Its the righteous statements like that which had turned this referendum not about the EU but about the establishment v working class people. Its horrible statements like you have made that has divided this country. It is statements like that which incite anger. It is statements like that which shows that a large proportion of the remain side were not advocates of tolerance and respect at all.

What matters now is not about the result but how the government and parliament deals with it.

Damn... Whole lotta racists out there tonight...

It's not looking good :(

Again, I am disgusted by this!!

What a load of bollocks!

I think I need to go home and play something ridiculously stupid to take the edge off of this disaster of a result...

Tokyo Mirage Sessions released at the perfect time...

ClsYkJhVYAA_MXm.jpg

Fastest backtrack in political history?

I know of many who voted leave due to the NHS angle.

ClsYkJhVYAA_MXm.jpg

Just seen this. Absolutely shocking behaviour if im being honest.

It has been the problem with the campaign - full of exaggeration and lies.

First Sanders, now the UK. Sorry for how the country voted guys. Not that I'm fully educated on the matters

The condescending responses on here toward the people who voted Out are exactly the reason so many people did vote Out. There's a massive number of people, and you can see they are mainly from working class and lower middle class communities, who feel totally betrayed by the political establishment - this is the backlash, and it's well deserved and long over due!

The whole Remain campaign was typified by scare mongering, fear, negativity, threats, unpopular public figures who talked down to and lectured the public and it was all wrapped up in a condescending tone. Eddie Izzard on question time, Geldof putting up two fingers to fishermen on the Thames, Cameron warning over world war three and a whole bevvy of failed and hated politicians like Milliband, Major and Brown.

Politicians are meant to be elected to represent the people, most of those in Parliament act as if they are elected to tell the people what they should think, this is the result.

This won't end here, already Holland and Denmark are calling for their own referendums. I know a girl who works in shipping, her Dutch clients rang her office yesterday to persuade all those working there to vote Out, because they are sick of the EU.

Fuck England. Seriously fuck England.

Shocked. Devastated. Speechless. A wave of sadness has flooded the campsite here at Glastonbury.

This was our Trump moment. We failed.

Cameron has resigned. Stepping down in October. Hate the man but genuinely fearful of who will replace him.

I think this is actually quite clever of Cameron.

Leave campaign heads are already saying their promises aren't exactly feasible.

By delaying the enacting of article 50 to October, it's leaving us time to wallow in potential catstrophe.

With a power struggle upcoming, and the idea of another general election, plus that, it could potentially cause people to second guess and potentially reverse it.

Chances are low, but I can see a potential logic to this.

Otherwise he's being an idiot for resigning when the market is already tanking. That's just going to make shit worse.

Wow. I actually voted Remain in the end as well. Over the last few days, I had lengthy discussions with friends and family and read up on stuff. I think, for me anyway, it was more the unknown about workers rights.

Both sides lied and tricked people tremendously and I'm actually disappointed in the fact that they would manipulate people to such a level. 90% of me actually didn't want to vote for this reason. It's like two people telling you utter bullshit and you have to choose which one is telling the truth.

I still stand by what I said though, either way, we'd be fucked but it was who we'd be more fucked with. Cameron resigning is awesome but it's who will replace him that has me worried.

ClsYkJhVYAA_MXm.jpg

Anyone who believed that the £350m would go directly to the NHS is an idiot. I can't actually find the exact quotes but I'm also quite sure they said "could be spent on services like the NHS" rather than an outright statement saying the money would go there.

I think this is actually quite clever of Cameron.

Leave campaign heads are already saying their promises aren't exactly feasible.

By delaying the enacting of article 50 to October, it's leaving us time to wallow in potential catstrophe.

With a power struggle upcoming, and the idea of another general election, plus that, it could potentially cause people to second guess and potentially reverse it.

Chances are low, but I can see a potential logic to this.

Otherwise he's being an idiot for resigning when the market is already tanking. That's just going to make shit worse.

Huh...never thought of it like that...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm gutted.

The Newcastle result last night was a warning sign, but I'm still surprised that it actually happened.

What this shows is just how disillusioned people are with the politics in this country and how the Tory government has failed to support the working class, whilst many do not identify with the current Labour regime.

I really hope this doesn't have a negative effect on the working class in this country but I'm not hopeful :(

Gutted, absolutely gutted.

But as I said - this was a truly democratic vote. I'm really very pleased about that. I can't hold fault to the outcome, because the voting system was not flawed. It's representative of the majority of the people.

The key here is stabilising the economy. If they can keep a good handle on it then I won't mind too much. Economies and markets are too volatile for this though. The pound lowest since 1985. But hey, people survived that, and we'll survive this too.

For me the greatest risk is inflation due to the now low value of the pound - and I've suddenly felt the most grown up I ever have in my life considering how much any rise in interest rates to counter inflation will add to my monthly/yearly mortgage spend in interest.

But yeah. Can't do anything about it now. My heart breaks for people like @Eenuh(e-hugs to you). For UK nationals we're just in it together now. We let our people vote democratically, they did, I find it very hard to be upset about that right now. I think we have to be careful about this 'immigrantophobia' becoming more and more commonplace in the public consciousness though.

I would be absolutely shocked and disgusted if Non UK nationals who are currently living in the UK had to leave.

I believe this won't happen.

We can only go on when Ireland decided to leave the UK. Irish nationals that were living in rUK were entitled to stay. This is what it should be.

I seriously doubt we'll be kicking out Non-UK nationals, that would sicken me if that happened.

How i see this, it's something the UK voted for and i respect that. Checking news media, and this UK referendum could spell other EU countries holding referendums themselves. I think they were holding out to see what our result was, and now this could give them the edge they need to do their own vote.

I went to bed last night with the headlines reading "potentially UK remains in EU", wake up to read "UK votes to leave the EU". This is historical, and only time will tell what happens and how the UK will fair.

Checking news media, and this UK referendum could spell other EU countries holding referendums themselves. I think they were holding out to see what our result was, and now this could give them the edge they need to do their own vote.

It's mostly the right wing parties who want a referendum in their country. And the UK referendum gives them basically free "propaganda". A very frightening situation.

It most likely won't happen in Germany, even though there is a right wing party gaining popularity, but I think in France and the Netherlands it might become a problem.

I honsesly don't think that there will be a massive change in immigration anyway.

How i see this, it's something the UK voted for and i respect that. Checking news media, and this UK referendum could spell other EU countries holding referendums themselves. I think they were holding out to see what our result was, and now this could give them the edge they need to do their own vote.

They'll probably want to see how we cope first.

This is an absolute tragedy. A very, very dark day for Britain. Not because we are leaving the EU, but because of the sheer divide in the country. Personally, I lay the blame for most of this firmly at the door of the left. Since the 80s the left has systematically failed to deliver an alternative message to the working classes of this country, the ones who have now taken us out of a broken but still very workable political project.

For 30+ years neoliberalism has ravaged this country and ripped the soul right out of it. We have working class communities and towns in complete ruin, destitute, huge swathes of the country lacking a representative voice, politically apathetic and wholly bereft of any sort of ambition or direction. Globalisation, that inevitible but necessary beast, has wrecked havoc in the North and nothing, absolutely nothing, has been done to stop it or at least slow the tide. You have entire towns filled with people on benfits, shopping at charity shops and gambling what little money they have down the drain. People's pride has quite simply been stolen. This result is merely a reaction to that.

Britain has slowly been sleepwalking into this situation, watched over and mediated by the corrupt and agenda driven elite in politics, finance and the media. It is indeed no wonder that the downtrodden and forgotten masses would lay the blame at the door of immigrants or Europe. That does not make them racist. That makes them hopeless, voiceless and unheard. The mass media in this country is a particularly disgusting kind of beast. They know exactly how to play on people's fears and manipulate them to do their bidding. The media claims to be free in this country, claims to be unbiased, but yet to me it seems we live in an oligarchy, not a democracy. Not even close. At least in Russia the journalists have the decency to admit they actively engage in propaganda and present their side of the story to counter Western media. And all without the outright lies and scandal you would find on the pages of the Daily Mail or The Sun. Would you hear any British journalists admitting to engaing in outright propaganda? Not a chance.

Whether you like them or not, the SNP have succesfully managed to engage the disaffected in Scotland and have completely changed the political map North of the border, wiping Labour out almost entirely. They had a message which working class people could buy into, a message of positivity and greater equality for the people of Scotland, one that gave them a voice and rejected the corruption and excesses of London (not too dissimilar from the Brexit arguments about Brussles, just with way fewer lies and much less hate).

People have real concerns, for which they (incorrectly) blame immigration. The last thing we should do is demonise them, label them morons or chastatise them. They are the last in the line for blaming and shaming. The list of real problems many people face every day, be it in housing, rents, the NHS, work, or schools; there seems to be a very real lack of understanding from not only the poltical class, but also the middle-class. The left is in a complete and utter crisis, and if we are to move forward from this decision in any kind of positive way then they need to rethink their entire argument, re-engage with their traditional support base and get positivity, pride and political empowerment back into these communities. Hope will always overcome hate if the message delievered in a way which people can relate to.

Nigel Farage said "we've become independent without a bullet being fired," (obviously he has already forgotton about Jo Cox), but in a way he was right. With Boris set to become PM and a bunch of even more neoliberal nutters set to sit in parliament from October, this has been a very British kind of take over. And in six months time, once the celebrations are done and the same problems continue to exist, the Brexiteers will be wondering where their country has gone. Again.

United Kingdom.

Give Scotland their independence. They want to stay in the EU.

Reunify Ireland. Northern Ireland wants to stay in the EU.

Leave England to it – and good luck to Wales, they deserve whatever comes their way.

I think I'll move to Ireland.

It's probably not as bad as some people are making out (a lot depends on the severance package though).

If we can retain membership of the Single Market then most of my worries will be allayed.

Now I hope for reform of our own Parliamentary system and a call for a Snap Election as I don't feel the Tories are best leading us in this direction!

Both campaigns were fraught with lies and skewed figures/details. Vitriol directed at voters isn't right. We should live by our decision and find a way to unite to get through it.

Edited by Kav

This is an absolute tragedy. A very, very dark day for Britain. Not because we are leaving the EU, but because of the sheer divide in the country. Personally, I lay the blame for most of this firmly at the door of the left. Since the 80s the left has systematically failed to deliver an alternative message to the working classes of this country, the ones who have now taken us out of a broken but still very workable political project.

For 30+ years neoliberalism has ravaged this country and ripped the soul right out of it. We have working class communities and towns in complete ruin, destitute, huge swathes of the country lacking a representative voice, politically apathetic and wholly bereft of any sort of ambition or direction. Globalisation, that inevitible but necessary beast, has wrecked havoc in the North and nothing, absolutely nothing, has been done to stop it or at least slow the tide. You have entire towns filled with people on benfits, shopping at charity shops and gambling what little money they have down the drain. People's pride has quite simply been stolen. This result is merely a reaction to that.

Britain has slowly been sleepwalking into this situation, watched over and mediated by the corrupt and agenda driven elite in politics, finance and the media. It is indeed no wonder that the downtrodden and forgotten masses would lay the blame at the door of immigrants or Europe. That does not make them racist. That makes them hopeless, voiceless and unheard. The mass media in this country is a particularly disgusting kind of beast. They know exactly how to play on people's fears and manipulate them to do their bidding. The media claims to be free in this country, claims to be unbiased, but yet to me it seems we live in an oligarchy, not a democracy. Not even close. At least in Russia the journalists have the decency to admit they actively engage in propaganda and present their side of the story to counter Western media. And all without the outright lies and scandal you would find on the pages of the Daily Mail or The Sun. Would you hear any British journalists admitting to engaing in outright propaganda? Not a chance.

Whether you like them or not, the SNP have succesfully managed to engage the disaffected in Scotland and have completely changed the political map North of the border, wiping Labour out almost entirely. They had a message which working class people could buy into, a message of positivity and greater equality for the people of Scotland, one that gave them a voice and rejected the corruption and excesses of London (not too dissimilar from the Brexit arguments about Brussles, just with way fewer lies and much less hate).

People have real concerns, for which they (incorrectly) blame immigration. The last thing we should do is demonise them, label them morons or chastatise them. They are the last in the line for blaming and shaming. The list of real problems many people face every day, be it in housing, rents, the NHS, work, or schools; there seems to be a very real lack of understanding from not only the poltical class, but also the middle-class. The left is in a complete and utter crisis, and if we are to move forward from this decision in any kind of positive way then they need to rethink their entire argument, re-engage with their traditional support base and get positivity, pride and political empowerment back into these communities. Hope will always overcome hate if the message delievered in a way which people can relate to.

Nigel Farage said "we've become independent without a bullet being fired," (obviously he has already forgotton about Jo Cox), but in a way he was right. With Boris set to become PM and a bunch of even more neoliberal nutters set to sit in parliament from October, this has been a very British kind of take over. And in six months time, once the celebrations are done and the same problems continue to exist, the Brexiteers will be wondering where their country has gone. Again.

Summed up perfectly

I am gutted to be leaving the EU because it is an institution that showed that separate countries can work together and cooperate, despite nationalistic tendencies. Perhaps not, now, in our case.

I hope that this does not cause a ripple effect across the whole of the EU and @Ashley does not have to change the name of the site to http://www.n-ukandeurope.com or http://www.n-28countries.com or something.

Its also a bit scary now that effectively the leave campaign side of the Tory party will be more or less in charge of the country...

The result wont effect me either way in the short run, but I am disappointed with the results. It's a dark day for Europe.

It's probably not as bad as some people are making out (a lot depends on the severance package though).

If we can retain membership of the Single Market then most of my worries will be allayed

Highly doubt it works like that. You can't just pick and choose what you like.

Edited by Tales

I honsesly don't think that there will be a massive change in immigration anyway.

There won't be, which a lot of Leave voters will be disappointed about. Immigration massively helps our country.