NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Days Gone (PS4)

First trailer, I wasn't bothered. The gameplay? Fuuuuuuck, it's like World War Z. The movement of the zombie horde was amazing. I've never seen zombies move like that in a game.

I cannot wait.

To start with, well actually until they revealed the title, I thought it was The Last of Us 2.

But yeah those zombies were horrible (in a good way). It'll be one of those games I play in short bursts.

When they showed the gameplay, that's the part which really impressed me as well, I actually thought that they would reveal the game was running on Neo hardware or something - I suppose we still don't know that it wasn't - so assuming that's all running on current PS4 hardware? :o

I really thought it was pretty decent, surprise of the show for me. :)

Yeah, the zombies swarming was great, fantastic animation on show!

Funny how they left him when they reached him a couple times though, none made an attempt to grab the character at all, haha. Typical E3 demo!

The footage people are talking about, for anyone else who missed it!

Not at all surprising. The game was missing at various events last year. The fact that TLOU2 got shown and not this was pretty telling. 

I worry for Bend. If the game doesn't deliver then they could be for the chopping block.

large.jpg

Game Informer have been crushing it ahead of E3 this year - what with their excellent Spider-Man coverage last month and God of War earlier this year - and they’ve just revealed that Days Gone will be the game that they feature this month.

I’m looking forward to learning more about this game, because we really don’t know much about it at this point, which is a bit perplexing given that it’s been present on-stage at the last few E3s. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

A lot of information coming from Game Informer on the game:

• Been in development for five years.

• First idea came after making Uncharted Golden Abyss.

• More than 100 developers, team size has doubled since 2016.

• Picks up several years after a pandemic has ravaged the US.

• People infected by virus are simply called "infected" by NERO (National Emergency Response Organization).

• NERO operated 12 checkpoints for quarantining and processing people, but now abandoned. 

• Deacon has a mercenary friend named Boozer.

• Plot is about surviving, not finding a cure.

• Stealing Boozer's stuff will make him upset, which will effect your relationship.

• Five encampments in the world which Deacon goes between, has to forge relationships.

• Have to clear out locations to unlock fast travel.

• Weapons look worn down because of the rain.

• Larger towns to explore.

• Weapons lockers and safehouses which refill ammo.

• Deacon can scout camps with binoculars.

• Deacon is the enforcer of a biker club called the Mongrels.

• Bike is completely upgradeable with cosmetic upgrades such as paint jobs. 

• Can increase fuel efficiency and durability, swap out tires based on weather.

• Can ambush camps.

• Wide variety of weapons such as Shotguns, sniper rifles, molotov cocktails, pistols, LMGs, grenades, napalm.

• Freaker-ear bounties, hunting animals, camps to clear.

• Flashback missions where you learn about Deacon's past with Sarah.

• Ambush camps are bad, encampments are good.

• Ambush camps will attack you roadside(marauders).

• Freakers are drawn to dark places such as tunnels and will make nests.

• Only way to clear freaker nests is via molotovs, gas cans, oil drums.

• Deacon has "survival vision" which highlights items of interest, can be upgraded to highlight enemies.

• Deacons stamina, health, time slowdown are upgradable.

• Radio towers that you can climb.

• No fetch quests or time trials, everything has context.

• Hordes are scattered throughout the world.

• 300 zombie hoard is a "baby hoard", E3 2016 demo had 500.

• Hordes need to eat, sleep, and drink. Travel in groups. NERO mass grave was where they were in demo.

We also have our first look at the game’s map:

unknown.png?width=713&height=348

They also estimate that the game’s critical path is around 30 hours long, but this is a number which can easily be changed by the weather that you experience during your playtime. 

• Thanks 1

I can't help but feel this is going to be a bit of a bomb for Sony/Bend. Granted, the game doesn't arrive until next year but there seems to be very little hype about the game. It clearly ran into development problems considering it was shown off a while back now and then skipped a few shows since then. Hopefully I will be proven wrong and excitement for the game will rise once more footage of it is shown. 

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I can't help but feel this is going to be a bit of a bomb for Sony/Bend. Granted, the game doesn't arrive until next year but there seems to be very little hype about the game. It clearly ran into development problems considering it was shown off a while back now and then skipped a few shows since then. Hopefully I will be proven wrong and excitement for the game will rise once more footage of it is shown. 

Yeah, I get where you’re coming from. We’ve seen quite a bit of gameplay, but the lack of context (for the most part) makes it really difficult to get a read on the game itself and how it might flow. 

I’m actually seeing a lot of opinions that it could be a dark horse/sleeper hit next year, and I think that depends on how Sony positions The Last of Us Part II: if that game has a large presence at E3 and/or PSX, and ends up having a late 2019 release date, then I think Days Gone will just be completely overshadowed. From everything we’re hearing, it seems more mechanically driven than The Last of Us, but, at face value, I can’t help but worry that (potential) consumers are going to see it as a Last of Us rip-off. 

I really do hope that it turns out to be a successful game (Sam Witwer’s awesome and deserves all the success that he gets), but I do think it’s riding that fine line between being potential sleeper hit and a bomb. 

Reading the bullet points makes me think of Horizon. Didn’t that skip a few shows too? It had more hype due to the initial concept being more obvious and unique. Plus it was coming from a more proven developer. 

One hour of gameplay with dev commentary is up on Game Informer: but it’s not on their YouTube channel yet. Here’s the link to it; I’ll update my post when the YouTube version becomes available. 

We’ll see another 45 minutes of gameplay with dev commentary today. If I had to guess, they probably want to ensure people that it’s not the train wreck that it could have been. I’ll be sure to update this post with it when it’s released.

Again: Game Informer are absolutely killing it at the moment!

In the meantime, here’s a Q&A:

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1

Urgh, fighting hordes looks so boring...why does this game have zombies...

Huber: ...it’s going to be great. Now, I know there’s a disclaimer there; I know why this game got delayed to 2019, because it runs at a very steady 15 frames per second. 

That’s a quote for the back of the box, surely? :D 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I just cant muster up any enthusiasm for this game at all.

Same. Looks utterly boring.