Hero-of-Time

God of War (PS4)

Bump! Went on holiday shortly after starting this at launch and onyl got round to dipping back in this week.

Holy shit this game is incredible! On a technical level I can't think of a single game that betters it - it just looks and feels astonishingly good. Coming off a couple of open world games it's feels like there's not an ounce fat in the whole thing. And then the art direction is astounding, the interactions between Kratos and his son feel very real despite the mad setting, and the difficulty seems pitch perfect amount of challenge. Yeah. Amazing game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Bump! Went on holiday shortly after starting this at launch and onyl got round to dipping back in this week.

Holy shit this game is incredible! On a technical level I can't think of a single game that betters it - it just looks and feels astonishingly good. Coming off a couple of open world games it's feels like there's not an ounce fat in the whole thing. And then the art direction is astounding, the interactions between Kratos and his son feel very real despite the mad setting, and the difficulty seems pitch perfect amount of challenge. Yeah. Amazing game.

I agree!

I got it as a Christmas game and started it at the start of January... finished it this week and absolutely loved it! I even managed to grab the platinum trophy for it, something I don't do too often (only happens with games I really enjoy). :D

The storytelling in the game is great, the visuals are magnificent, the battles are fun... I just enjoyed it all. The different interactions between the characters are great, and I love the stories that they tell in the boat!

I powered through the game in the evenings and on my lunch breaks, even grinded through Niflheim and Muspelheim to get the loot and trophies. One of the optional boss fights did give me some trouble though, I just could not do it at all, even with the top armour in the game (and being level 9, which I think is the top level you can be?). I just kept failing and failing, until I tried using a different talisman, then all of a sudden I managed to do it quite easily. So the game might appear like a bit of a button masher at times, but some strategy is required for the harder fights. :)

Was sad to finish the game actually, I wanted more of it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 10:56 PM, Eenuh said:

I agree!

I got it as a Christmas game and started it at the start of January... finished it this week and absolutely loved it! I even managed to grab the platinum trophy for it, something I don't do too often (only happens with games I really enjoy). :D

The storytelling in the game is great, the visuals are magnificent, the battles are fun... I just enjoyed it all. The different interactions between the characters are great, and I love the stories that they tell in the boat!

I powered through the game in the evenings and on my lunch breaks, even grinded through Niflheim and Muspelheim to get the loot and trophies. One of the optional boss fights did give me some trouble though, I just could not do it at all, even with the top armour in the game (and being level 9, which I think is the top level you can be?). I just kept failing and failing, until I tried using a different talisman, then all of a sudden I managed to do it quite easily. So the game might appear like a bit of a button masher at times, but some strategy is required for the harder fights. :)

Was sad to finish the game actually, I wanted more of it!

Yeah definitely, there was a few times with bosses where  I was only getting about 20% of their health off before dieing, before I changed up my tactics and got through it, definitely a sign of a game that's not just a button masher! And yeah agreed on the interactions - having Mimir around was a good narrative choice too.

Not sure if this has been posted but this video's a really good watch on how they make the combat feel so satisfying 

Finished it, fiinally, the other day. Is there some sort of true ending? I got credits coming up over the gameplay but only a couple screens, so not sure if I need to go to the other realms and the valykries or whatnot?

On 2/10/2019 at 6:20 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

@dan-likes-trees did you go back home after the credits? There's a scene that occurs if you go there.

Ah no, wasn't sure if I'd be able to do more exploring if I go home or if that cuts it off? 

5 minutes ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Ah no, wasn't sure if I'd be able to do more exploring if I go home or if that cuts it off? 

No, it doesn't cut it off, so you can continue exploring after :)

• Like 1

Oooh I didn't know about that little scene! I turned the game off after the credits as I had done all the sidequests, so didn't know there was something extra there haha.