NEurope
Hero-of-Time

God of War (PS4)

Let me know what you think of that scene that involved Christopher Judge where...

Spoiler

He channeled his own personal demons in order to pull off that moment. I was practically in tears when he started to break down. 

For me, it shows why it’s so important to get voice acting right and how it elevates a game. Going for a non-union, cheaper option is what some companies opt for but I think getting someone who is right for the part, no matter the cost or time it takes to find, is always the better option. He owned the role of Kratos and to think, he wasn't even sure about auditioning for it! 

• Like 1

I didn't expect that documentary to send me to so many different places emotionally...

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Let me know what you think of that scene that involved Christopher Judge where...

I was in tears...makes that moment even more incredible.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

For me, it shows why it’s so important to get voice acting right and how it elevates a game.

As someone who values acting very highly in movies, series and video games, I agree. Even if a story isn't that great...if the actors put in their all, they can elevate it to a higher level.
In the case of God of War, where the story and everything else is already on a level that's rarely achieved, the voice actors (and motion cap actors) basically push it over the top - in a positive way.
And Christopher Judge steals the show. Not to take anything away from the others, but his personal demons, as you put it, make it real.

We always forget or push aside the fact that most famous people (actors, musicians, comedians, artists) have demons. Horrible, terrifying, crippling demons. The fact that they're able to control them, channel them and put the energy into something creative/productive always astounds me. I often wish I was able to do exactly that with my demons (not that they are as monstrous as others').
For now I have to "live with" the joy, genuine joy, I get when I see other people accomplishing that. :)

Raising Kratos makes me appreciate God of War even more. Not only is it an achievement for video games, but I think it's an achievement for everyone involved and every single one of them should be proud (which I'm sure they are).
The documentary is also a reminder of what it takes to create something. It's not only a matter of having talent and working hard, it's also a matter of making sacrifices, dealing with issues, resolving conflicts, embracing the good and being passionate. It's life condensed into one project.

I wish there were more videos like this out there.
We see that side of the video game industry very rarely. :(

• Like 1

Yeah, it annoys me that the industry is still mostly stuck in its secretive ways. There should be more documentaries like this. Let gamers see the various creative processes and help them appreciate what goes into making a game. 

• Thanks 1

Finished the story of this today. What a treat. Both to play and visually. 

My main criticism of it was that it wasn't longer. Don't tease me with all of those nine realms and not let me visit them all! Was shocked that I was approaching the end of the story having not visited more of them. I understand that these will likely come on a sequel, but it was just a bit of a bummer. 

On a similar note, the fact a couple of the realms have only opened post-story is a bit frustrating. I completed the game at Level 5 on normal difficulty, but so much left to do (Valkyries etc.) requires a higher level. I want to see more of this world, but without the main story to pull me along, I have less motivation to do much more. 

So yeah. Absolutely loved it, but with minor frustrations about the structure. This was my first God of War experience, and now I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel to see what happens next to Kratos and Boy.

• Like 1

One of New Years resolutions was to play more games, and I told myself I couldn't buy new ones until i'd completed my backlog a bit. 

I got part of the way through this before I got bored and started something else, so I thought i'd at least try and finish off the story. 

Just started on the main quest to get the chisel tip to get to Jotunheim. I decided to just skip all the obvious side quests and collectables and focus on the main story, and i'm enjoying it a lot more because of it. A lot of the collectable puzzles are a bit fiddley and break up the flow of the game. 

I still hate the control scheme. Next time I boot it up, I might explore and see if I can set up a custom one, or at least one that doesn't put the damn attack buttons on the shoulders. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?! 

• Like 1

Finished the main story last night.

Spoiler

So, ignoring all the side quests and focusing on the main story was the best thing to do. I very much enjoyed following the plot to this - the game is incredibly cinematic and is like watching a film at times. Breaking away from the story to go and open a hidden chest really breaks up the flow of the game, and i think it suffers from it.

Pros:

The story is incredibly well told, and all of the dialogue between the three main characters was a joy to listen to. It really breaks up the travel time between locations, which was good, because that bit would be very boring otherwise. Getting about is pretty dull, so it's good that they give you something to follow as you do so.

I adored the huge scale of the world. The giants, the World serpent, the enormous eagle thingy in Helheim - all gave me huge megalophobia chills. It was awesome.

The music is great, especially the main theme. I found myself humming it all day, to the confusion of my wife.

I actually thought the game was a really good length. The main plot took just the right amount of time to complete before I got frustrated, and i'm sure if you wanted to, there is enough extra stuff to keep you playing for a really long time. I had a quick scan through the trophies, but I didn't get the urge to do any of them, so I think i'm just going to leave it there.

Cons:

I could not get on board with the combat. I know some people say it's the best combat in any game, but I found it fiddly and confusing. I kept switching weapons when I meant to throw one, or Atreus would fire an arrow when I wanted to attack. None of it seemed intuitive. It didn't help that I suck.

Although the game is built to look like an open world, it really isn't. It's basically just a load of fairly linear corridors, peppered with rooms to fight in. It annoyed me when I couldn't climb over a small hump in the ground, and was forced to walk along the path that had been set for me. And it seemed ridiculous that Kratos, a god, could only climb up special crevices, and could only climb down specific places rather than just jumping down.

Anyway, I would give the game a solid 7.5/10

• Like 1

Not to concern anyone, but today is the fifth anniversary of the game's release...

Where the heck does the time go?! :cry: