NEurope
Hero-of-Time

God of War (PS4)

Digital Foundry's analysis on the PS5 patch:

Locked 60fps apart from one cutscene where a single frame is dropped is pretty insane, and as drahkon shared above, it looks great. Really looking forward to giving it a spin at some point this year :D

On 13/02/2021 at 4:16 PM, Julius said:

Digital Foundry's analysis on the PS5 patch:

Locked 60fps apart from one cutscene where a single frame is dropped is pretty insane, and as drahkon shared above, it looks great. Really looking forward to giving it a spin at some point this year :D

Kinda makes me feel glad that I haven't properly dived into it yet!

Now that Kingdom Hearts is on the way I needed to find a game to accompany on my next JRPG-journey. It is tradition :D

So I finally started my NG+ run with God of War. Decided not to go with Give Me God Of War again, because it would've required a long grind on my end-game savefile. And I finished the game on its highest difficulty on my first run anyways.
I went with the second highest difficulty and its perfect. Need to stay on my toes but enemies aren't tanky as all hell. Nicely balanced :)

Had to take some screenshots, of course...

Spoiler

God-of-War-20210218225306.jpg

God-of-War-20210218230101.jpg

God-of-War-20210218231429.jpg

God-of-War-20210218230732.jpg

God-of-War-20210218231941.jpg

It's unbelievable how well the graphics hold up.

And that fight....Ohhhh baby, always gets me hyped :cool:

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 11:41 PM, drahkon said:

I needed to find a game to accompany on my next JRPG-journey. It is tradition :D

Well, Battle Chasers: Nightware had me hooked so much that I didn't need another game :p
Now that I'm done with the JRPG, I've decided to devote all my time to God of War (and the occasional co-op gaming session with my mates).

Made quite a bit of progress and reached Alfheim.

Took a few more screenshots along the way:

Spoiler

mZZ0u8K.jpg

tzoe9qC.jpg

GQHSHng.jpg

bfXHS2q.jpg

And this one is now my desktop wallpaper:

WYC7El2.jpg

This is a PS4 game...I can't wait to see how beautiful the sequel will be. :peace:

Gonna post some more screenshots. :p
I'm spending way too much time with Photo Mode :D

Spoiler

God-of-War-20210310095805.jpg

God-of-War-20210310143247.jpg

God-of-War-20210310144831.jpg

God-of-War-20210310150029.jpg

God-of-War-20210310150140.jpg

My two favourites, so far:

Spoiler

God-of-War-20210310144256.jpg

God-of-War-20210310150342.jpg

Just played through that moment.

Spoiler

Even though in NG+ you already have the Blades of Chaos from the start, and even though I knew what was going to happen I still got goosebumps.

That moment is one of the most epic experiences in video game history.

Took a few more screenshots, of course:

Spoiler

God-of-War-20210310182637.jpg

God-of-War-20210310190834.jpg

God-of-War-20210310201617.jpg

God-of-War-20210310203844.jpg

God-of-War-20210310204746.jpg

God-of-War-20210310204822.jpg

God-of-War-20210310204951.jpg

I am your monster no longer.

God-of-War-20210310205044.jpg

• Like 1

That's one of the best gaming moments this generation gave us. It was amazing how they kept it under wraps. 

Did you ever watch the making of the game that Sony posted on YouTube? The way that moment is delivered by the actor is something very special and emotional. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you ever watch the making of the game that Sony posted on YouTube?

Not yet, but I have it bookmarked.

46 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's one of the best gaming moments this generation gave us. It was amazing how they kept it under wraps. 

Indeed.

A few days ago a friend told me that he wants to give God of War a try and he meant this one. He hasn't played any other games of the series and I immediately urged him to not play the most recent installment first. Without the history that moment would be lost to him.

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

A few days ago a friend told me that he wants to give God of War a try and he meant this one. He hasn't played any other games of the series and I immediately urged him to not play the most recent installment first. Without the history that moment would be lost to him.

Indeed. It's such a powerful moment that I think would lack any meaningful impact if the player hadn't played through the other games first. 

Saying that, you played through Yakuza 7 without playing all the others...

Spoiler

....and so the arrival of the Dragon of Dojima scene was lessened for you.

I suppose you still got something out of it though, what with you playing a couple of the entries in the series, unlike your friend who is wanting to go into this game without any experience.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Saying that, you played through Yakuza 7 without playing all the others...

I played Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami so I at least knew some of the characters. (Edit: I completely missed your last sentence :laughing:) But yeah, maybe if I played the more recent installments I would've gotten more out of it.
That doesn't mean I wasn't fucking hyped, though :D

Edited by drahkon

Oh man, now I kind of want to carry on playing God of War to find out what you're talking about. I haven't played any of the other games though, so maybe there's no point?

1 hour ago, bob said:

Oh man, now I kind of want to carry on playing God of War to find out what you're talking about. I haven't played any of the other games though, so maybe there's no point?

THAT moment is still great if you haven't played any other game. Even without knowing the details, the game does a good job at portraying the importance of it. 

Yeah you don't really need to know the history, as Cube said the significance is made apparent by the scene. If you're really worried about missing out then there are plenty of recap videos on Youtube that you can watch, I definitely wouldn't recommend going back and playing all the other games just so you can get a bit more out of the moment. 

It's a bit like MCU movies. You can easily go in and watch and enjoy most of them without seeing any of the others but you miss out on certain nods and references. 

The other GoW games are fantastic and are well worth playing regardless.

Hmm, I might drop the difficulty right down then and try and plough through it for the story.

• Like 1

My NG+ journey continues.

I've neglected upgrading/purchasing new gear because it was a little easy from the get-go, but man...it sure did become a lot more difficult pretty quickly :D Purchased my first NG+ armor piece and it made quite a difference. :cool:

Spoiler

I forgot how annoying Atreus gets. That little cunt :laughing:

And the obligatory screenshots and the obligatory spoiler warning:

Spoiler

God-of-War-20210311162130.jpg

God-of-War-20210311202714.jpg

God-of-War-20210311220816.jpg

God-of-War-20210311223159.jpg

God-of-War-20210311233748.jpg

God-of-War-20210311234001.jpg

God-of-War-20210311234423.jpg

God-of-War-20210311234534.jpg

• Haha 1

My NG+ playthrough is coming to its end. Well, I'm nearing the end of the story, at least.

Spoiler

The final encounter with Baldur is so good. Intense, spectacular, emotional.

And Freya's words to Kratos after he kills her son...

I will rain down every agony, every violation imaginable, upon you.
I will parade your cold body from every corner, of every realm and feed your soul to the vilest filth in Hel.
That is my promise!”

Goosebumps...

The sequel's going to be interesting :D

Also did some exploring and finished a few sidequests that I didn't on my Give Me God of War playthrough. Lots of fun fights and puzzles to solve.

Spoiler

The Valkyries are pretty tough.
With my gear I can usually get through normal encounters pretty easily but the 7 Valkyries that I've beaten so far have proven to be a worthy challenge :cool:

Managed to get 100% completion in Alfheim and Muspelheim (the latter had some very difficult challenges). A few more realms to go :D

It's been great to revisit some areas with Mimir giving more insight to the lore. Speaking of, I went ahead and got myself the audiobook and a digital copy of Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. It's supposed to be a good read/listen. Gonna be great to get to know the mythology that started in my country.

As always, more screenshots. Proceed with caution, end-game spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

God-of-War-20210313150424.jpg

God-of-War-20210313220928.jpg

God-of-War-20210313220958.jpg

God-of-War-20210313221352.jpg

God-of-War-20210313221745.jpg

God-of-War-20210313222636.jpg

God-of-War-20210313222839.jpg

God-of-War-20210313223011.jpg

God-of-War-20210313223036.jpg

Edited by drahkon

I'm also playing this, but for the first time thanks to the PS+ collection. Didn't realise when I picked it that it'd be more Norse mythology having just spent 120 hours on Assassin's Creed Valhalla 😂 

Anyway, enjoying it so far, up to Alfheim. It truly is a gorgeous game. The main thing I am not enamoured with is all the skill trees and armour upgrades and modifications etc. I feel like there's too much to tinker with and I'm unsure whether I should be spending money upgrading gear I have, or saving it and waiting to find better gear out in the wild. 

Also just wanted to check if everyone else finds it oddly hilarious whenever Kratos says boy 😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr-Paul said:

Also just wanted to check if everyone else finds it oddly hilarious whenever Kratos says boy 😁

You must've missed the weeks after the game's release...there were a million "BOI" memes :p

6 minutes ago, Mr-Paul said:

The main thing I am not enamoured with is all the skill trees and armour upgrades and modifications etc. I feel like there's too much to tinker with and I'm unsure whether I should be spending money upgrading gear I have, or saving it and waiting to find better gear out in the wild. 

When I first played the game I had to upgrade regularly. There was no other way to dish out enough damage to even stand a chance.
I don't know which difficulty you chose but I'd say that you could wait until you have to fight a battle that takes a lot longer/is more difficult than the ones before and then spend some resources on new gear/skills.

Eventually, you will have enough XP/Hacksilver/material to get equipment that'll get you through the story. Certain side activities are made a lot more "accessible" by getting some high-end gear. If you want to do some/all of those and don't improve your equipment, you're going to have a bad time :D

• Like 1

God of War NG+ been conquered.

There wasn't much of the story left after my previous update, but I did go ahead and get 100% completion.
Some of the side quests and battles were quite challenging but with the right gear and a few lucky breaks I managed to emerge victorious from them all :cool:

I made the right choice with the second highest difficulty for my NG+ run. The final battles and side quests pushed my God of War skills to the limit. I think Give Me God of War would've been a matter of "you die in one hit" for the majority of the playthrough. Not a fan of that :p

Anyways, as always: Screenshots and a spoiler warning!

Spoiler

God-of-War-20210314114019.jpg

God-of-War-20210314115253.jpg

God-of-War-20210314115326.jpg

God-of-War-20210314115452.jpg

God-of-War-20210314115617.jpg

God-of-War-20210314115716.jpg

God-of-War-20210314115823.jpg

God-of-War-20210314120302.jpg

God-of-War-20210314120547.jpg

God-of-War-20210314120732.jpg

God-of-War-20210314120810.jpg

God-of-War-20210314120929.jpg

God-of-War-20210314120944.jpg

And there it is:

20210314191700.jpg

:cool:

What a game.
Still can't believe it's a PS4 game. Its single-take presentation is a technical achievement that I haven't seen in any other video game. I don't know if there's another game out there that does the same thing. If there isn't, God of War is, in my opinion, revolutionary.

Taking aside the game's technical marvel, it shines in almost every other aspect, too.
The story and how its told...emotional from start to finish. There's an odd bit about Atreus but I think it had to be done this way due to the nature of the game:

Spoiler

His sudden shift in tone and attitude after he got told he's a god.
It happened way too quickly, but given that there wasn't really a way to include a time-skip without giving up the single-take presentation it was fine in the long run.

Fights are always intense, brutal and absolutely satisfying. You can kind of feel each attack and hit. It's a joy. A little more boss variety would've been nice, though.
Exploring the world is great, too. The PS4's technical limitations come through, though, once you have to (fast) travel a lot (only happens when you want to 100% the game) but it's made enjoyable by Mimir, Kratos and Atreus sharing stories and lore.

God of War is a masterpiece. My personal game of the generation and the best reboot I've ever played. It's new but still keeps what made the entire series so great.

• Like 2

For those who have finished God of War and wanna know why the story and how its told is very well done, take a look at the following video.
For all the others, be aware! It spoils pretty much every single thing of this game and a few aspects of the series.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Cracking watch. 

Indeed.
I don't subscribe to a lot of YouTube channels but Untangling God of War made me subscribe to this one. Will definitely give his other videos a watch.

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Indeed.
I don't subscribe to a lot of YouTube channels but Untangling God of War made me subscribe to this one. Will definitely give his other videos a watch.

I came across his Ocarina of Time video last year and loved it to bits. Again, well worth a watch. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2021 at 9:06 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you ever watch the making of the game that Sony posted on YouTube?

Watching it right now.

The buildup to the E3 reveal is done very well in the documentary. I mean, we all know how incredibly positive the reveal was received, but seeing the people involved in making God of War losing their freaking minds was something else :D
Cory Barlog especially...his explanation on what was going on in his head before E3 2016 is something I've felt a few times. Not to that extent and it definitely wasn't about something as huge as a video game but I could relate to his ordeal somewhat.
Speaking of Cory, he seems like a wonderful person. Funny, charismatic and at times brutally honest. I guess it's what you need to be when you have that kind of role in the development of something big.

Well...gonna watch the final 60 minutes now.

• Like 1