NEurope
Hero-of-Time

God of War (PS4)

Bump! Went on holiday shortly after starting this at launch and onyl got round to dipping back in this week.

Holy shit this game is incredible! On a technical level I can't think of a single game that betters it - it just looks and feels astonishingly good. Coming off a couple of open world games it's feels like there's not an ounce fat in the whole thing. And then the art direction is astounding, the interactions between Kratos and his son feel very real despite the mad setting, and the difficulty seems pitch perfect amount of challenge. Yeah. Amazing game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Bump! Went on holiday shortly after starting this at launch and onyl got round to dipping back in this week.

Holy shit this game is incredible! On a technical level I can't think of a single game that betters it - it just looks and feels astonishingly good. Coming off a couple of open world games it's feels like there's not an ounce fat in the whole thing. And then the art direction is astounding, the interactions between Kratos and his son feel very real despite the mad setting, and the difficulty seems pitch perfect amount of challenge. Yeah. Amazing game.

I agree!

I got it as a Christmas game and started it at the start of January... finished it this week and absolutely loved it! I even managed to grab the platinum trophy for it, something I don't do too often (only happens with games I really enjoy). :D

The storytelling in the game is great, the visuals are magnificent, the battles are fun... I just enjoyed it all. The different interactions between the characters are great, and I love the stories that they tell in the boat!

I powered through the game in the evenings and on my lunch breaks, even grinded through Niflheim and Muspelheim to get the loot and trophies. One of the optional boss fights did give me some trouble though, I just could not do it at all, even with the top armour in the game (and being level 9, which I think is the top level you can be?). I just kept failing and failing, until I tried using a different talisman, then all of a sudden I managed to do it quite easily. So the game might appear like a bit of a button masher at times, but some strategy is required for the harder fights. :)

Was sad to finish the game actually, I wanted more of it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 10:56 PM, Eenuh said:

I agree!

I got it as a Christmas game and started it at the start of January... finished it this week and absolutely loved it! I even managed to grab the platinum trophy for it, something I don't do too often (only happens with games I really enjoy). :D

The storytelling in the game is great, the visuals are magnificent, the battles are fun... I just enjoyed it all. The different interactions between the characters are great, and I love the stories that they tell in the boat!

I powered through the game in the evenings and on my lunch breaks, even grinded through Niflheim and Muspelheim to get the loot and trophies. One of the optional boss fights did give me some trouble though, I just could not do it at all, even with the top armour in the game (and being level 9, which I think is the top level you can be?). I just kept failing and failing, until I tried using a different talisman, then all of a sudden I managed to do it quite easily. So the game might appear like a bit of a button masher at times, but some strategy is required for the harder fights. :)

Was sad to finish the game actually, I wanted more of it!

Yeah definitely, there was a few times with bosses where  I was only getting about 20% of their health off before dieing, before I changed up my tactics and got through it, definitely a sign of a game that's not just a button masher! And yeah agreed on the interactions - having Mimir around was a good narrative choice too.

Not sure if this has been posted but this video's a really good watch on how they make the combat feel so satisfying 

Finished it, fiinally, the other day. Is there some sort of true ending? I got credits coming up over the gameplay but only a couple screens, so not sure if I need to go to the other realms and the valykries or whatnot?

On 2/10/2019 at 6:20 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

@dan-likes-trees did you go back home after the credits? There's a scene that occurs if you go there.

Ah no, wasn't sure if I'd be able to do more exploring if I go home or if that cuts it off? 

5 minutes ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Ah no, wasn't sure if I'd be able to do more exploring if I go home or if that cuts it off? 

No, it doesn't cut it off, so you can continue exploring after :)

• Like 1

Oooh I didn't know about that little scene! I turned the game off after the credits as I had done all the sidequests, so didn't know there was something extra there haha.

Just finished watching the documentary. What a fantastic 2 hours viewing that was.

It's crazy the amount of work that went into making this game. You can really see the stress, both physical and mental, that some of the staff went through. However, you can also see the passion come through in numerous places.  It's really made me appreciate the game more.

Cory seems like a very honest and funny bloke. He's brutal when he needs to be yet has funny and playful streak to him. The video when he reads the reviews of the game really hits just how much the game meant to him.

I'd love to see more developers do stuff like this. Despite being around for a pretty long time now the games industry still likes to kinda operate in the shadows. I'd like a more open approach and get glimpses into other studios. Saying that, seeing all the crunch scandals popping up these days there's probably a reason why the publishers don't want people seeing what is going on behind closed doors.

• Thanks 1

I started this yesterday at around midnight and I've put...quite a few hours into it already. It's great! There's a nice feeling when you start a game or a film or tv series and you know it's going to be great before you even get started. :D 

• Thanks 1

I've taken some time off the main quest and am just running/boating around doing little quests/jobs here and there. This game is FUCKING AMAZING. It's a proper roast dinner of a game. Delicious. 

• Like 1

I finally got around to finishing this game recently. Took a long-ish break because work got in the way and then this game just ended up slipping down on the list of a million things to do. It's beautiful, fantastic, etc etc. Not enough good things to say about it. Overall, I can't wait for the next one. The combat is absolutely brilliant and was just heaps of fun to play.

• Like 1

Opened the shrink wrap on this last night after getting it for Christmas. Played the first chapter I've everything had downloaded.

Its pretty good so far, the fights are really cinematic, and the game looks fantastic. Bit worried about how hard it'll be though. I had it on easy and still seemed to fuck up the combat.

2 hours ago, bob said:

Opened the shrink wrap on this last night after getting it for Christmas. Played the first chapter I've everything had downloaded.

Its pretty good so far, the fights are really cinematic, and the game looks fantastic. Bit worried about how hard it'll be though. I had it on easy and still seemed to fuck up the combat.

Glad you've started this. It's a top game.

I found it hard at the beginning, too. You will get a lot better and eventually things will click. The combat is very, very satisfying. 

Glad you've started this. It's a top game.
I found it hard at the beginning, too. You will get a lot better and eventually things will click. The combat is very, very satisfying. 
I think part of the problem was my brain kept reverting to Spider-Man controls, even though I've not played that in months. So i was pressing the wrong button to dodge and attack etc. Just need a bit more time I'm sure.

I recently read a book on Norse mythology, so I'm really digging the lore already.

3 minutes ago, bob said:

I think part of the problem was my brain kept reverting to Spider-Man controls, even though I've not played that in months. So i was pressing the wrong button to dodge and attack etc. Just need a bit more time I'm sure.

I recently read a book on Norse mythology, so I'm really digging the lore already.

Yeah, that will definitely throw you at first. I found it a little fiddly at the beginning and it took me a few hours to really get to grips with what each button could do and how everything works. Once it's gets going, you will have lots of fun with it. I took a looooot of damage at the beginning, mostly unnecessarily. Not being good enough with dodging and being slow to react to things. I think you'll find the game difficulty ok, it never felt frustratingly difficult and there weren't any difficulty spikes from what I recall. 

I spent a large part of the game just admiring it on a technical level. It's very well put together, it looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is stunning. It's just a nice game to go through. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Free PS5 patch is dropping tomorrow! 

Heck yeah. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Still have to get the Platinum so...this is awesome :D

Yep, been thinking the same lately, definitely want to try getting around to it this year in preparation for whenever Ragnarok does drop. This game was a little daunting originally when I played it back at the end of 2018 (just in terms of some of its darker design elements, hadn't really played much like it by that point), so I'm really curious to see how I gel with it next time around. 

A load of 2017/2018 games I already find myself wanting to return to, to be honest, so I think I'm finally starting to see the bigger issue with tackling a "backlog", because it's definitely not just a case of playing games I haven't before now :laughing: there's this, Shadow of the Colossus, NieR:Automata (in preparation for Replicant), etc., and that's just a cursory glance at my shelves. I've even had to stop myself from picking Breath of the Wild back up at times, because when I returned to that to critical path it and finish it off, thinking it'd be only 5-10 hours, I found myself seeing credits roll some 30+ hours later. 

Need a time machine to stick myself into for a year to do some catching up at this point :p oh well, so long as we're having fun I guess! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Still have to get the Platinum so...this is awesome :D

Do it! It's a good journey to the platinum. 

In preparation of the new patch I decided to start NG+ on Give Me God Of War to see how it'll go.

I get killed in one hit by the first enemy and do almost no damage...

So much for my plan to do an NG+ run on the highest difficulty :( Don't wanna farm stuff before I start either... WHAT TO DO...

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

In preparation of the new patch I decided to start NG+ on Give Me God Of War...

I get killed in one hit by the first enemy and do almost no damage...

So much for my plan do do an NG+ run on the highest difficulty :( Don't wanna farm stuff before I start either... WHAT TO DO...

Perform a ritual to summon the strength to get good :p

Drahkon right now:

tenor.gif

But all jokes aside, I'd just lower the difficulty (personally, I know I'm not going to stand much of a chance at Give Me God of War). I don't think there were any NG+ trophies or difficulty related trophies, unless I'm remembering wrong, so all you're missing out on are bragging rights if that's the case. 

From what you said and how it seems to have surprised you, it sounds like they went the worst route of increasing difficulty in my eyes where they just extended enemy health bars and made them hit harder, which would suck :(

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

But all jokes aside, I'd just lower the difficulty (personally, I know I'm not going to stand much of a chance at Give Me God of War). I don't think there were any NG+ trophies or difficulty related trophies, unless I'm remembering wrong, so all you're missing out on are bragging rights if that's the case. 

But I want to brag :p

Nah, I remember originally playing on Give Me God Of War and thoroughly enjoying it. I didn't get killed in one hit, which allows for at least one mistake.

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

From what you said and how it seems to have surprised you, it sounds like they went the worst route of increasing difficulty in my eyes where they just extended enemy health bars and made them hit harder, which would suck :(

It's a weird one. I expected it to be really difficult, but the one-shot thing is just more annoying than anything...

I might just cave in and farm for the best armor on a non-NG+ save. I want to finish Control first, anyways, before starting a new God of War playthrough, so farming might actually be nice when I want to take a break from Control :D

• Like 1

Just read that Give Me God Of War on NG+ will be riddled with one-shot-kills unless you're equipped with NG+ armor...ah well, I've finished the game once on that difficulty, think I'll just start NG+ on the second highest :D

By the way...the game looks incredible after the patch. I mean...it looked insanely good before, but it's even better now. And the 60fps just sweetens the deal. :cool:

• Like 1

Triple posting in case you wanna see some screenshots from the very first scene with the new patch:

Spoiler

WZORuZM.jpg

asLOWke.jpg

3QfL0Tv.jpg

Still holds up almost 3 years later :o

Spoiler

UmYv5Er.jpg

• Like 1