NEurope
Hero-of-Time

God of War (PS4)

Ugghhgggg

Spoiler

What the fuck is even the point of them dropping Health pickups?! Trying to grab them is a goddamn death trap with the speed and ferocity those fucking valkyries attack.

Which by the way, fighting them even one on one is some bullshit. I’ve killed two and got my shit wrecked by two more so far. I can hardly imagine the pain of doing it on a harder difficulty. 

This is not a high speed precision action game ala Bayonetta or DMC, throwing battles like those into this is just poor design.

Well...the game is now trying to annoy me.

Spoiler

Two Travelers in a small room with fire traps.

I mean...why the fuck not, right? Travelers can't be stunned, they don't flinch at all, they have a one hit kill attack that is quite fucking fast considering how slow they usually are and they take a million hits.

Sadly I don't have Spartan Rage ready, not that this would be a huge help, anyway...the main reason I use Spartan Rage in combat is to regain health. The damage output is not that high.

Serves me right for choosing the highest difficulty.  :D

Edit: DID IT. I'm the best.

14 hours ago, Nolan said:

Hidden Chambers. (Reveal hidden contents)

What the fuck is even the point of them dropping Health pickups?! Trying to grab them is a goddamn death trap with the speed and ferocity those fucking valkyries attack.

Which by the way, fighting them even one on one is some bullshit. I’ve killed two and got my shit wrecked by two more so far. I can hardly imagine the pain of doing it on a harder difficulty. 

This is not a high speed precision action game ala Bayonetta or DMC, throwing battles like those into this is just poor design.

I think this is supposed to be end-game, or maybe even post-game stuff.

Spoiler

I fought in a hidden chamber once. Died immediately by some kind of missile barrage from the Valkyrie.
"Fuck it" were the words I said out loud, if I recall correctly.

Edited by drahkon

On 4/21/2018 at 9:26 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

This was me during the boss fight I just had.

eglJcxLN5essFC6mVkPQCjf6Y1U=.gif

Absolutely stunning stuff!

No idea if it was the following you were talking about, but that gif was me during...

Spoiler

Baldur's last fight.

Holy fucking shit. This game has given me several new favourite gaming moments and this is quite possibly number one for now.

A masterpiece.

And the scene after that...with Freya, Baldur, Atreus and Kratos...my goodness. I was close to tears.

Unbelievable.

Credits rolled.

On 4/22/2018 at 10:38 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm often skeptical when a game gets such high praise. A lot of the time I do feel that reviewers can get caught up in the hype and this translates into their reviews. However, I do think that this lives up to the high praise it has received. Not only do I think this is one of the must have games on the platform, i'd go as far as to say that this is easily one of the best games this generation has produced. The production values of the game simply cannot be matched by anything out at the moment. The team over at SSM have made something very special here and I look forward to seeing how the story will play out in future entries.

Nothing more to add.

In my eyes, this game is a masterpiece. One of the greats in video game history.

I'm still sitting here, my jaw on the floor...unbelievable.

Will I go for the Platinum? Most definitely.
Will I start again on a lower difficulty? Probably.

While I really enjoyed playing on Give Me God of War, I think the post-game stuff is a little unbalanced (as far as I've experienced just now). Even certain parts in the "story path" were  unbalanced with enemies one-hit-killing you; something I hate in video games. But here I never got frustrated because the fighting mechanics are just so much fun :D Pretty sure I'd get frustrated with the post-game fights, though.::shrug:

Anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you go back to the house, @drahkon?

Spoiler

...and I wish I didn't :D

Now I can't wait for the next game. Or DLC.
To be honest, I'd rather take DLC that finishes the Norse story and the "true" next game I want to be set in Egypt or China.

Well..I'm really interested in Norse mythology now. I find it much more interesting than Greek mythology (at least from what I've experienced with God of War).

Edited by drahkon

Started the game again on Give Me a Story and after the first fight I increased it again to the second to highest (Give Me a Challenge). :D The lowest difficulty is really easy...

I also decided to leave the HUD on. During my first playthrough I turned it off completely except for gameplay notifications.
Yeah...someone should've told me that the off-screen enemy indicator is a life saver. Good lord, I made this game even more difficult than it was by turning that setting off :laughing:

Anyway, looking forward to playing this again going for 100% completion :)

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Started the game again on Give Me a Story and after the first fight I increased it again to the second to highest (Give Me a Challenge). :D The lowest difficulty is really easy...

I also decided to leave the HUD on. During my first playthrough I turned it off completely except for gameplay notifications.
Yeah...someone should've told me that the off-screen enemy indicator is a life saver. Good lord, I made this game even more difficult than it was by turning that setting off :laughing:

Anyway, looking forward to playing this again going for 100% completion :)

Could you not have just lowered the difficulty and then mopped everything up in your first save file? Nothing is missable.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Could you not have just lowered the difficulty and then mopped everything up in your first save file? Nothing is missable.

Nope, once you set it to Give Me God of War it can't be changed. Only the lower three can be changed at any time.

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Nope, once you set it to Give Me God of War it can't be changed. Only the lower three can be changed at any time.

Seems a bit weird. Actually, I think Yakuza does this as well when you play on Legend difficulty.

I've just popped into this thread to say damn, this game is good. Best single player game I've played in a long while, and gorgeous to boot. Maybe the first time I've really appreciated what my OLED TV can do. I stopped in awe at one point early on, because it looked like I was standing in a piece of amazing concept art. You know how concept art often just looks that much bigger and better than the final product, but in this case the game looked like the art. And all that on top of a game that's fun and challenging and thoughtful, and focussed enough not to tire me out like your average open-world game.... It's really something else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its so memorable. Really sticks with you. Kudos to the team at Santa Monica for this classic. 

Thinking of buying the cd soundtrack lol. The digital artbook is also really good! 

When can we talk spoilers? :heh:

5 hours ago, Choze said:

When can we talk spoilers? :heh:

Spoiler

anytime, if you use this feature?

All of this talk is making me really want the game. But backlog.

I may fuck the backlog off. Although I still have Horizon to play.

• Like 2

Credit roll. 

Is it perfect, no. 

Is it a masterpiece, maybe. 

Is it a damn fine excellent piece of media, definitely. 

Spoiler

Lit all the Braziers and received an enchantment that outright reduces Valkyrie damage, so that’s a grand thing to find out and should help greatly.

Have to do that and track down the various Ravens and grind out Mist Echoes in Niflheim.

On to niggling story issues (major spoilers time).

I get that part of the theme is gods are dicks, and the mythology isn’t exactly wrong there but as I recall the Giants were also kind of huge dicks as well. We really only get half the story here. They’re also playing pretty fast and loose with Loki, who’s typically Thor’s half brother and raised by the giants. Also tricksy like a hobbitses.

So their further story plans should be interesting.

Mistletoe arrows! Freya flips shit asking who supplied them and then calling them evil and burning them. Why did absolutely NO ONE think to relay this to Sindri and try to investigate why he may have given them evil arrows??! Followed with Dues Ex Oblivious on Freya not noticing that one was part of the quiver strap.

Ah well. I’m gonna go pass out now cause it’s 4 am. Back to nightshift for me. 

Wrapped up the platinum today, incredible game! An amazing experience that I was sad to see come to an end, would love to see some more content but it doesn't sound like they have any DLC planned so hopefully we might get a NG+ at some point instead.

So where do they go next?

Spoiler

Surely the next game will resolve the confrontations with Freya and Thor during Fimbulwinter and maybe address what happens with the Valkyres. Will it include Ragnarok and Odin? Or could that slip to a third game and a trilogy?

What was also interesting was the Jotnar shrine with the other symbols of Egyptian, Celtic and Japanese mythology would be amazing to explore those as well at some point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Map said:

So where do they go next?

Spoilers (Hide contents)

Surely the next game will resolve the confrontations with Freya and Thor during Fimbulwinter and maybe address what happens with the Valkyres. Will it include Ragnarok and Odin? Or could that slip to a third game and a trilogy?

What was also interesting was the Jotnar shrine with the other symbols of Egyptian, Celtic and Japanese mythology would be amazing to explore those as well at some point.

Spoiler

I read the other day that the director wants to make a further five games. I'd be happy with that as I enjoyed this one a lot more than I expected (I had no expectations as I have never played any of the previous games and had read up very little on this entry.)

I imagine Freya will be pissed for a game and then come around to help defeat Thor or Odin. I noticed the Egyptian symbol as well, so I'm really hoping we delve into Egyptian mythology at some point, as it's my favourite of the mythologies. 

Anyway, great game. The story kept me hooked the whole way, which doesn't happen often with games. Horizon is the only other one of recent times I can remember loving the whole way through - actually thinking about it AC: Origins was another I enjoyed. 

And it was great hearing Christopher Judge/Teal'c's voice the whole way through. It was a great game, indeed.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, somme said:

And it was great hearing Christopher Judge/Teal'c's voice the whole way through. It was a great game, indeed.

Yeah Christopher Judge was great.

Spoiler

I loved Mimir, him passively teaching me Norse mythology while I paddled about in my boat was a great way of hearing the lore. Made me laugh when I found out Troy Baker and Nolan North voiced Magni and Modi as well.

God of War sold 3.1m copies in three days

PlayStation 4 exclusive God of War has sold a staggering 3.1m copies in its first three days on sale worldwide. It's the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive to date.

Impressive. And well deserved.

atreus+god+of+war+thumbs+up.gif

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1

A couple of friends and I gave a copy of God of War to one of my best mate's for his birthday.

I watched him play the first few hours today. Oh boy, the joy on his face during The Stranger fight. :D Pure happiness.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And that is God of War done and dusted (story-wise anyway).  Easily my favorite game of 2018 so far, and we've still got many months of 2018 to go.

Spoiler

I agree with others, once you got the Blades of Chaos, it became a little samey.  With the Axe, at least the combat was varied enough and you had to consider your next move.  The final battle was easily one of the best moments in gaming i've seen in a long time.

38 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

And that is God of War done and dusted (story-wise anyway).  Easily my favorite game of 2018 so far, and we've still got many months of 2018 to go.

Thoughts (Hide contents)

I agree with others, once you got the Blades of Chaos, it became a little samey.  With the Axe, at least the combat was varied enough and you had to consider your next move.  The final battle was easily one of the best moments in gaming i've seen in a long time.

I was in love with the game until you got past that point. The last 5 hours or so felt a little all over the place, and most of it felt like padding. Also the combat took a nose dive for me, because of what you mention above.

Apparently the game has sold over 5 million copies in it's first month. Crazy. I'm loving that Sony's single player, heavy narrative games are showing that there is a market for such games. It's great to see them do well when you have an industry pushing for multiplayer focused titles or the GaaS model. 

• Like 3