NEurope
Hero-of-Time

God of War (PS4)

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Still a long way to go. Basically once you reach that moment I spoke of ( you'll know when you see it ) you'll be about halfway.

Thanks. Oh man, I cannot wait for that moment. It better not disappoint :p

Edit: The game's giving me the same kind of accomplishment from fight to fight just as Demon's Souls did years ago. Even when in a battle against the same type of enemies later on you can't always rely on the same tactics and moves.
During the first few hours I sometimes felt like playing on Give Me God of War was a mistake as I found that enemies just had a little too much health and with your limited moveset, fights became a little annoying (not frustrating, just annoying). But I pushed through and now that I unlocked more skills and ways to engage enemies the difficulty is perfect.

Getting over "too good to use syndrome" with regards to Spartan Rage helps, too. :laughing:

Edited by drahkon

I spent last night thinking just 15 more minutes and could not stop. Had this crazy boss battle and was left floored. Loving the variety of art and how all the characters are great so far. 

Should probably do some side quests too. 

I'm currently playing God of War and I'm not entirely sure what the fuss is about the graphics. It looks like a PS2 game..

:blank:

Oh wait.. this is the PS2 game :eek:

With all of the excitement around the current game, I've decided it's about time to try the series properly having only ever played about 3 hours of the original PS2 release about 4 years ago. I started a fresh save file and am just over an hour in but it's decent enough so far and has me wondering if it's worth going through all 3 of the main games before I eventually pick up God of War on PS4 somewhere down the line..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Platinum obtained.

As much as I love the work that SSM have put into the game, the person that decided you need to get pretty much all of the collectibles (there are around 300) for the platinum needs a good slap.

I really enjoyed going for it, though. It allowed me to see everything the game had to offer and there was some fantastic dialogue while hunting for treasures or even just when rowing away on your little boat. Kratos even managed to get a laugh out of me! :eek:

• Thanks 2

Man @Hero-of-Time, I've really enjoyed reading your posts on this game, from the initial feelings of "not really feeling it" to "wuuuutttttt why is this game so gooood?!" 

You're making it very difficult to not pick this up. :heh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You know what I hate? And this is not a rant particularly about God of War, it's a rant about every game that does it:

While you're fighting against a huge or tough monster and you already have your hands full with not dying, halfway through the battle the game throws smaller enemies at you. Mostly beasts with long range attacks. Or in RPGs: The big dude always spawns smaller dudes sometime during a fight.
Why? Why do that? If the main enemy is difficult enough, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

God, this makes me angry.

Anyway, no time to play today...Makes me sad :(

On 4/21/2018 at 5:32 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

The story has just MASSIVELY kicked in and has done for the past hour I've been playing. Not gonna spoil anything but if you played and enjoyed the other games in the series then you're gonna love what's ahead.

No kidding I have tears of joy in my eyes right now. This is me at this moment :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Spoiler

Just got the Blades of Chaos...

I actually got a little emotional. The build up, the moment itself, the first fight with the Blades...nostalgia fueled by perfect execution of that moment.

LastingAllAllosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Was that the moment you were talking about?

I’m still slowly plugging away at this. I’m only playing an hour or two at a time and more or less trying to exhaustively explore each area before progressing. 

I keep taking a break because of some crazy good moment in the game. :D Just to take time to absorb it all in. Humming along to half the soundtrack due to progression :heh:

This is already one of my all time favourites. Really great work by Santa Monica! 

Edited by Choze

59 minutes ago, drahkon said:

...huge spoilers (Hide contents)

Just got the Blades of Chaos...

I actually got a little emotional. The build up, the moment itself, the first fight with the Blades...nostalgia fueled by perfect execution of that moment.

LastingAllAllosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Was that the moment you were talking about?

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!! You reached it!!! I finally have someone on here who can talk about it! :D 

Spoiler

When it's mentioned that he had a weapon that could take care of the situation I was like "IS IT THEM?" You then get the slow boat ride and walk and I kept saying " It's gotta be them!" The way he reluctantly picks them up and then finally excepts his fate is amazing, as is when Athena shows up and he essentially tells her to do one. Then IT happens. I was absolutely buzzing when you finally unleash with them. The setting and music brought tears to my eyes. I was so pumped.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!! You reached it!!! I finally have someone on here who can talk about it! :D 

Spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

When it's mentioned that he had a weapon that could take care of the situation I was like "IS IT THEM?" You then get the slow boat ride and walk and I kept saying " It's gotta be them!" The way he reluctantly picks them up and then finally excepts his fate is amazing, as is when Athena shows up and he essentially tells her to do one. Then IT happens. I was absolutely buzzing when you finally unleash with them. The setting and music brought tears to my eyes. I was so pumped.

Spoiler

I literally asked the same question. Out loud even. "IS IT THEM?" :laughing:

I love how during the beginning of the game Kratos rearranges his wrist-wraps multiple times. I always thought that this was a nice nod to the past, but to actually wield the Blades of Chaos...I did not expect that.

Kratos' response to Athena saying he will always be a monster:
"I know. But I am your monster no longer." ... That was amazing.

Oh and Atreus unleashing a little baby Spartan Rage was pretty cool, too. Looks like Kratos has to tell him about his true nature soon.

• Like 1

Seeing all the raving reviews for this coming in had me itching to play this and thankfully, I managed to finish up Far Cry 5 so that made the decision to buy this even easier.

Played a few hours so far and I'm enjoying it more than I thought. I've never played a God of War title before this despite owning 3 on the PS4 (which I have as a gift to someone after it sitting unplayed for ages, not having the full story up to that point kinda stopped me jumping in) but definitely don't think I'm missing anything yet. I'm just enjoying soaking up the Norse lore as that's a culture I'm very interested in and I've already picked up on stuff so far from playing other games or watching TVs shows centred around it (I figured out who the Stranger was straight away during the fight for example).

I think I'm enjoying it for that reason more than anything as while the game is good so far (I've been at the Lake of the Nine for the last couple of hours doing side quests as a sign post of where I am) it hasn't grabbed me fully yet. I can see the ingredients there to do so so I'm hoping that as I play more, it'll quickly jump gear and really pull me in.

Looking forward to playing more tho. I'm just intrigued to see everything that's being talked about in spoilers but that I dare look at yet.

Edited by Ganepark32

Keep playing Ganepark, you are at the point when the game starts to get out of tutorial mode. Stick to the main quest for a bit. I was impressed at that point anyhow with the scale etc. 

Edited by Choze

Hmmm, the last half dozen main story missions are feeling a little bit like filler to be honest, it doesn't quite have the focus and variety as the first half of the game. Everything's becoming a little samey. Still really loving it though, even if combat has gotten way too easy since the story started to advance about half way through. Anyway I think I'm about 2-3 chapters before the end.

Edited by Ronnie

14 hours ago, Choze said:

Keep playing Ganepark, you are at the point when the game starts to get out of tutorial mode. Stick to the main quest for a bit. I was impressed at that point anyhow with the scale etc. 

Oh I definitely intend to keep playing. Didn't manage to finish much up last night but did clear up the side missions I could in the Lake of the Nine area one of which was awesome.

Spoiler

The one where you beach your boat at a small fishing village with draugr wandering about and then as you head up the hill, you hear and then see a dragon just sitting there spewing out lightning attacks. That was an awesome mission. Kiting the enemies into the areas of attack of the Dragon and then finishing them off all the while running round like a headless chicken trying to find the last seal to open a chest as the dragon's attacks came raining down.

That bit was more of what I was expecting. Has me pumped to move on and start climbing the mountain now, which where I've set my sights. Hopefully get some play time today to see what else is hiding away in the world as it's starting to grip me a bit more.

Sitting at work...I want to go home and play this. The weather sucks, so it's a perfect day for video games :D

As soon as I'm back at Tyr's Temple I'll finally do some exploring in the Lake of Nine. Should be equipped nicely enough to deal with certain areas that were a nightmare in the beginning.

The daily patches are a little tiring. At least they’re small and I’m sure they’re needed but come on, all this can’t be packaged into one for the end of the week? Unless it was something game breaking of course. 

Spoiler

Climbing the mountain 

Finished the game last night. I thought it seriously stumbled along towards the end, and the final battle itself was a little anti-climactic.

Still a remarkable game, very pleased to have experienced it. Just wish there wasn't so much dragging the story out towards the end.

From a production pov it was pretty stunning, though some areas looked better than others.

Spoiler

I thought the satisfaction of the combat nosedived when you got the blades of chaos, from then on it became a hack and slash without much skill required unlike with the axe.

A huge problem I had with the game was... where were all the people??? The entire world was completely deserted, save for the two dwarves and a handful of spirits. Really bizarre.

Don't mean to come across as negative, it really was an absolute joy to play and a remarkable achievement overall. Just a few (big) problems I had with it drag it down a little.

Can't wait for the sequel though.

23 hours ago, Nolan said:

The daily patches are a little tiring. At least they’re small and I’m sure they’re needed but come on, all this can’t be packaged into one for the end of the week? Unless it was something game breaking of course. 

Annnnd yet another patch this morning. It’s kind of comical. 

On the plus side hopefully though 1.17 undoes the HDR fucker that 1.16 caused. My reds were causing purple ghosting. 

I don't see the issue with all the patches. They're small and provide fixes. ::shrug:

Decided to finally do some sidequests. They are still not easy even though I'm quite well equipped. I think on a lower difficulty setting these quests would be easy as hell with my equipment :D But I'm enjoying the challenge, except:

Spoiler

Fought against a Valkyrie. Died in 2 seconds and decided to fuck it for now. It's another one of those fights that have one boss enemy and 800 smaller enemies just to annoy you. Still hate these kinds of battles in any game they show up.

Edited by drahkon

Finished the main story. What an experience! Can see this being one of the best games ever for many! 

Love all the old fashioned classic game touches. The RPG/Zelda style world helps so much. Also the Norse mythology is far more in depth than the greek stuff so far! So much good stuff to take in!

Going more in depth with the Norse mythology I think is more a side effect of how much they changed the style of this game. They could easily have gone into such depth with Greek Mythos had the game been in such a style as to present it. 

Sure they could have had little bits of exposition tucked away into random totems spread about the levels but given how much more focused and hack and slashy GoW 1-3 were it wouldn’t have fit as well. The narrative of those games was told in the manner befitting the gameplay. 

Spoiler

Wow, what a prick he has become after learning about his (and Kratos') true nature. Gonna be interesting to see how the relationship between him and his father will unfold.

eXUBk8O.jpg

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

Spoiler

Yeah he made quite the fucking heel turn. “I don’t feel bad about the dark elves anymore, we had god things to do.” 

At least Mimir is still trying to be a voice of reason.