NEurope
Hero-of-Time

God of War (PS4)

Turned off the HUD completely (i.e. set it to "immersive mode") and set the difficulty to Give me God of War.

I still haven't won the first battle. Well...onto attempt number four :laughing:

The game looks and sounds spectacular. Impressive what is possible with the PS4.

Edit: YES, I did it. Never in my life have I felt this kind of rush in a video game during the first encounter with enemies. Seriously, I was nervous as fuck because I was one hit away from death and the enemies got stronger during the battle...phew, close call :D

Edit²: Decided to turn on combat HUD and health bars. It's vital information that I just need to see on screen in order to adapt during a fight. Compass, enemy off-screen indicator and gameplay notifications remain turned off, though.

Edited by drahkon

I'm going to gush over a certain part from the beginning section of the game (i.e. the first "quest" or "mission" or whatever you call it), sorry :D

Spoiler

The fight against The Stranger has instantly become one of my favourite moments of my video gaming history (maybe even the favourite).

I mean...how awesome was this? The fight itself, i.e. the gameplay; the cinematography (the one-shot style is perfect for this); the sound (music and effects); the spectacle.

If somebody had filmed me during that 15 minute fight...would've been a funny video. Me sitting on my chair, grins and expressions of anger, fear and marvel switching from moment to moment. I moved my entire body in a wave of accomplishment when I landed a last second block :laughing:

:bowdown:

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'm going to gush over a certain part from the beginning section of the game (i.e. the first "quest" or "mission" or whatever you call it), sorry :D

End of first "quest" spoiler (Hide contents)

The fight against The Stranger has instantly become one of my favourite moments of my video gaming history (maybe even the favourite).

I mean...how awesome was this? The fight itself, i.e. the gameplay; the cinematography (the one-shot style is perfect for this); the sound (music and effects); the spectacle.

If somebody had filmed me during that 15 minute fight...would've been a funny video. Me sitting on my chair, grins and expressions of anger, fear and marvel switching from moment to moment. I moved my entire body in a wave of accomplishment when I landed a last second block :laughing:

:bowdown:

Loved that part..

Spoiler

When he punched Kratos and sent him flying I sat gaping at what had just happened. I was furious with the guy and took pleasure in landing any hits I could. Dat moment when you unleash the Spartan Rage. :heart:

That first hour is quite good. I like the theme and stuff that came with the game! 

Love the interaction between Kratos and Atreus. Still struggling with combat, I think I need to be a bit more patient and stop rushing into attacks, and dodge/parry more.

I'm exploring every single corner, finding lots of chests. Liking the puzzles a lot.

So a yellow attack indicator means you can't parry with your shield and you should just roll dodge out of the way? Red means you can parry? Is that right?

Presumably axe attacks are stronger than your fists? So always best to use that in melee combat?

Edited by Ronnie

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Presumably axe attacks are stronger than your fists? So always best to use that in melee combat?

It depends. It may be quicker to switch to fists and then lower their stamina bar to get an instant kill/big damage attack by press R3. Also, some enemies are immune to axe attacks, so you will have to use your fists at some point anyway.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It depends. It may be quicker to switch to fists and then lower their stamina bar to get an instant kill/big damage attack by press R3. Also, some enemies are immune to axe attacks, so you will have to use your fists at some point anyway.

The game seems to really throw you in at the deep end, with lots of enemies from all angles from the very start. Hope I get more used to it.

Sweet Jesus...the highest difficulty doesn't fuck around. Two or three mistakes and you're dead...My progress is very slow because of that.

But it's not frustrating. Combat is so much fun.

Oh boy...I'm tempted to not progress too much until the photo mode is added :D

• Thanks 1

Should have pre ordered...Went to the stores straight after work but they were already sold out. Ordered it online just now so I'll have it next week instead.

I assume, you're talking about how I get wrecked?
Yeah, but I'm getting better and better.
Yes, it was a good natured jibe, a gentle ribbing or light banter.

I am wondering about getting this game though.

1 minute ago, bob said:

Yes, it was a good natured jibe, a gentle ribbing or light banter

That much I figured, but the link you posted is going nowhere :p

1 minute ago, bob said:

I am wondering about getting this game though.

Do it.

Do it.
No idea where that link came from. I hate Tapatalk sometimes.

Deciding whether to get it, but is it full price £53 level good? Used to cheap PC prices so unused to that kind of price.

55 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Deciding whether to get it, but is it full price £53 level good? Used to cheap PC prices so unused to that kind of price.

May I ask where you’re finding it at that price? It’s £46 on Amazon at the moment.

It's £48 in Sainsburys right now if you can find stock.

The map is horrendous isn't it? I'd almost go as far as saying it's useless. Why so zoomed out?

I was also wondering when side missions might be unlocked? I'm at the, shall we say, next area (3-4 hours in) and all I've been able to do is follow the main questline.

Stunning game though

I hadn’t even checked the map until you mentioned it. It’d call it borderline useless. I’ve just returned home in the game after initial events so looking at the map I’d say it’s not meant to be a minimap like GTA or some Zelda titles where it gives mostly complete information. I think it’s purposefully a guideline of “this is the general area points of interest are in these directions, try to find them” type map. 

But yeah in terms of being useful in finding your way through a maze like area....it’s useless. 

Also, not technically a map, they didn’t indicate north. It’s really just a drawing. (props to whomever knows what show Ive referenced) 

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The map is horrendous isn't it? I'd almost go as far as saying it's useless. Why so zoomed out?

I was also wondering when side missions might be unlocked? I'm at the, shall we say, next area (3-4 hours in) and all I've been able to do is follow the main questline.

Stunning game though

In terms of side quests, it will open up soon. I've spent the last hour or so doing a few of them. I initially started out doing one but then ended up doing a bunch of others while doing the first one.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the map either. It's far too vague. Luckily the quest marker shows which direction to go in, although I'm not sure why that is locked at the start of the game. Curious design decision.

• Thanks 1

Woke up early, went to the gym, have to do some shopping now but then it's back to GoW :D Haven't played as much as I wanted yesterday. Wasn't feeling too well, but it's all better now.

Usually I don't like "sidekicks" in video games but Atreus is a welcome exception. Interactions between him and Kratos feel natural, both during "cut-scenes" and gameplay. He's a huge help during fights. At first I didn't use his bow and arrows that much, but they are vital to success.

By the way, what difficulty are people playing on? I'd love to see a fight against Draugrs on a lower difficulty than Give Me God of War. I'm interested in how much their behaviour changes between difficulties.

Also:

Spoiler

"Fucking Gratitude get over here"

I laughed :laughing:

Edited by drahkon