NEurope
Hero-of-Time

God of War (PS4)

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

The only way anything in that video will be overrated is if I give it anything higher than a 6/10!

Ah, so you're one of those reviewers who already has a score in mind before you actually finish the game. I will make sure to avoid your content. :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nekunando said:

The only way anything in that video will be overrated is if I give it anything higher than a 6/10!

Yeah, I think it's time you get your mod-rights revoked and get banned. :p

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You're telling me. I've said for a long time that this place isn't really a gaming forum anymore and stuff like this just proves it. :( 

You should just start a new gaming forum. nekunando-not-allowed.com

Edited by drahkon

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

You should just start a new gaming forum. nekunando-not-allowed.com

I was thinking of people-who-actually-play-games.com. :p 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You're telling me. I've said for a long time that this place isn't really a gaming forum anymore and stuff like this just proves it. :( 

At least I'm giving the God of War series a chance now...

I never had a PS2 in the early days so I missed out on all that buzz when the first couple of games were released, yes I know... I own them on PS3 and I did at least try the first game, so maybe I'll go back to them.

Though I think it's likely that the series will get a PS4 HD collection so... maybe I'm better off waiting?

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Ah, so you're one of those reviewers who already has a score in mind before you actually finish the game. I will make sure to avoid your content. :D 

Well, I was only joking around but I'm definitely going to have to play it now and I'll score it honestly :smile:

Also, it sure as hell wasn't me who gave Sonic Forces 8/10 :eek: It's called Sonic 4ces for a reason :heh:

• Like 1

Just now, nekunando said:

Also, it sure as hell wasn't me who gave Sonic Forces 8/10 :eek: It's called Sonic 4ces for a reason :heh:

Game was good and I finished it before I scored it, as every reviewer should. :p 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Game was good and I finished it before I scored it, as every reviewer should. :p 

I finished it too and got rid of it immediately afterwards..

Anyway, the new God of War looks decent, at least :hehe:

8 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I finished it too and got rid of it immediately afterwards..

Yeah but you are notoriously hard to please when it comes to games.

23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah but you are notoriously hard to please when it comes to games.

I can't really argue there but I often find that people can be so generous with review scores only to be way more critical of the games in the months and years ahead that it almost makes a mockery of their original impressions.

I'm never harsh just for the sake of it. I call it as I see it and I'll stand by my views :smile:

Edited by nekunando

This will be my first God of War game as this is my first Playstation. Really looking forward to it, especially with these crazy scores coming out! Will probably be played during the May half term, I think. Any news of how long the game is?

I've been tempted to pick up God of War 3. What's the general consensus on that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

This will be my first God of War game as this is my first Playstation. Really looking forward to it, especially with these crazy scores coming out! Will probably be played during the May half term, I think. Any news of how long the game is?

I've been tempted to pick up God of War 3. What's the general consensus on that?

I wouldn't bother playing God of War 3. It's fantastic but it picks up straight after the second game and most of the story will be lost on you.

Reviews are saying the game is about 30-40 hours long, which is a crazy length for GoW. They are usually 10-12 hours max.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wouldn't bother playing God of War 3. It's fantastic but it picks up straight after the second game and most of the story will be lost on you.

Reviews are saying the game is about 30-40 hours long, which is a crazy length for GoW. They are usually 10-12 hours max.

Buuuuh, 30-40 hours?! Wasn't expecting that. :D Pleasantly surprised. 

I think the God of War games are on PS Now, so maybe I'll sign back up to that in the summer and play through them on there. I was planning to re-sign back up to that at some point anyway.

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

I can't really argue there but I often find that people can be so generous with review scores only to be way more critical of the games in the months and years ahead that it almost makes a mockery of their original impressions.

I'm never harsh just for the sake of it. I call it as I see it and I'll stand by my views :smile:

Not sure I agree there. With a review all you can get are those initial impressions. You score it based on what you thought at that point, not what you worry you may feel down the line. Being more critical of a game later down the line should never make a mockery of the original impressions because that's what they were feeling when they first played it. There's nothing wrong with changing opinions on something after giving it more thought.

I like the sound of this game.

I also hope the sound fx is top notch. Stuff like crunching bones, thuds, squishes etc. :) 

I've never played a God Of War game but was really impressed by the reveal of this at E3 2016, glad it's garnered a lot of praise but pretty surprised it's getting such consistently high scores. I don't think I'll get it at launch but will definitely play it eventually. I was considering playing the earlier ones first but this seems like such a dramatic departure mechanically that playing this first probably wouldn't impact my subsequent enjoyment of its predecessors.

16 hours ago, killthenet said:

I've never played a God Of War game but was really impressed by the reveal of this at E3 2016, glad it's garnered a lot of praise but pretty surprised it's getting such consistently high scores. I don't think I'll get it at launch but will definitely play it eventually. I was considering playing the earlier ones first but this seems like such a dramatic departure mechanically that playing this first probably wouldn't impact my subsequent enjoyment of its predecessors.

They seem worlds apart, this could've been a whole new franchise and nobody would've said "isn't this God of War?"

It looks great and it has my interest but... it's just nothing like its predecessors. Which is fine, as a series God of War had probably done everything it needed to. But these days there's less options for scratching the itch of button-mashing arcade style games, and I'll kind of miss the mindless action, unique camera angles and giant monster takedowns that God of War stood for before.

• Thanks 1

Digital Foundry article

The video apparently contains lots of spoilers so best avoid it.

It's another great example of a first party studio reaching new heights in terms of visual fidelity, with the title standing proudly alongside the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and Gears of War 4. From its remarkable rendering technology to its seamless camera system, God of War is a showpiece title - it's an impressive achievement that demonstrates what can be accomplished when that heady cocktail of raw talent, budget and time is deployed on a key project.

High praise!

I don’t care much for Metacritic when it comes to a lot of things, but this game is now the second-highest ranking PS4 game with an average rating of 95, and is also the highest-ranking PS4 exclusive (above it, on 97, is GTAV). 

I was modestly interested when it was revealed, but after all of the attention that it’s garnered, I can’t help but add it to the games I want to play once my exams are over.

Sony’s absolutely killing it yet again this year.

Gamestop has the 9.99€ offer again. This time it's for God of War. They haven't updated the list of games you can trade in, yet. Really hope I'll be able to trade in Ni No Kuni 2 and CoD: WWII.
The upcoming weekend would consist of no social interactions whatsoever for me, if I can get God of War for 10 bucks :D

Pre-ordered. :peace:

Now it's all about waiting for the trade-in list. It has to include Ni No Kuni 2 and CoD: WWII. Fingers crossed :D

Edit: YISS! Those two games are on the list :) Oh man, can't wait.

Edited by drahkon

Game isn't even out yet and Youtube is recommending me a video of the final boss and ending :indeed: WTF. Not sure what to make of the thumbnail....

Anyway, despite the almost/possible being spoiled I'm picking this up tomorrow. I have played two of the earlier ones I think, but I wasn't overly fascinated by them then. But to be honest, the amazing scores it's getting makes me want to try it again, plus it's set in Norse mythology.

8 minutes ago, Tales said:

Game isn't even out yet and Youtube is recommending me a video of the final boss and ending :indeed: WTF.

Yep, that's Youtube. Any sort of big game comes out and it's a race to get a video of the finale up as soon as possible. Best just to avoid it in general if you want to go into a new game.

Just got in from work to find my copy waiting for me. My PS4 sounds like a jet engine while the game is running. It's clearly pushing the hardware. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just got in from work to find my copy waiting for me. My PS4 sounds like a jet engine while the game is running. It's clearly pushing the hardware. 

Is your PS4 usually quiet? Mine has always been on loud side, so I hate to think what it’d be like with this game! Not that I’ll be getting it anytime soon/ever. :hehe: 

7 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Is your PS4 usually quiet? Mine has always been on loud side, so I hate to think what it’d be like with this game! Not that I’ll be getting it anytime soon/ever. :hehe: 

Yeah, it's usually pretty quiet. 

• Thanks 1