NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Death Stranding (PS4 Kojima)

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

This is exactly what I didn't get from BotW. All those little things in that game felt out of place because there was no "grand scheme of things". BotW was "full of" (a term that is weird, because the game was very empty) inconsequential moments. 
In Death Stranding, even losing one piece of cargo has some kind of impact. Not for you, but for others. They can pick it up and deliver it to get some thumbs up. It is very minor but not inconsequential.

100% this. BOTW, for all its amazing systems, was empty and it didn't feel like doing any of the shrines or interacting with people had any appreciable impact on the world. With this, however, it's as you say. Everything feels connected. Picking up an order and bringing it to someone on the other side of the map feels purposeful. Even if the order itself is silly (like the pizza delivery or delivering performance underwear to Hermen Hulst's character) you can still sell a fallible logic to things and how without their orders, how things in the world that's there would be worse off. There's a great sense of satisfaction and relief from managing to bring an order in an seeing that you've done it quickly and without damaging it and hearing that they're happy and thankful for it. And those orders that you pass on to others, having that little notification come up saying it's been delivered makes me feel more a part of this world than BOTW ever did and carries a weight that that game never reached either. I'm loving it so far.

Me on the way to make a delivery:

dgqwHC.gif

Me trying to rescue the truck I've got stuck along the way:

giphy.gif

If you keep throwing trucks at the problem, eventually you won't have any trucks left and so there won't be a problem :grin:

With how I drive in games, thank god I don't drive in real life :laughing:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Me on the way to make a delivery:
dgqwHC.gif

Lllllllllllllllike a glove!
  • Haha 1

On November 7, 2019 at 7:32 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Apparently the game has a 150-200 hour platinum. :eek:

giphy.gif

It is done. 

No idea where people were getting the time of 150-200 hours from. It only took 70 hours to nab the platinum. With that now obtained, my adventure as a glorified delivery man is now over.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of positive reactions towards this game from other forums and other online spaces. Seems to be seen in a much more positive light by the people who have decided to stick with it and enjoy the game for what it is. I have to admit that I am pretty interested in it now. 

I spent a lot of the post game running around in the following outfit. I figured it was quite fitting given the time of year and the job of being a delivery man. :D 

Spoiler

Someone is getting a PSP for Christmas!

ELYCLndW4AECgrM?format=jpg&name=small
Seasons Beatings

ELYB8ROXkAEg91E?format=jpg&name=small
Who needs Rudolph?

ELYCCFoW4AYQOht?format=jpg&name=small
Merry Christmas!

• Haha 3

If anyone's interested in picking it up, nearly half off.

Not sure that video will entice people on the fence though :blank:

I had the good fortune of having a friend lend me this, so I've been into it hard for almost 2 weeks now. And yeah, I love it. It's far from perfect, and there's a lot that annoys me. I also think it shows signs of not having as many resources as a Konami backed project. But Kojima really succeeds at creating a unique, singular experience. The feeling of being half way to a destination, equipment failing, rain falling, threats looming, and having to stop and way up your options, fits so well against the backdrop of his desolate, lonely world. 

Part-platformer, part RPG (as in a game where you play a role) - does that register with anyone else? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Part-platformer, part RPG (as in a game where you play a role) - does that register with anyone else? 

Of course. It's like Goat Simulator.

Edit: Hm, I might actually misunderstand what "register with" means, so no idea if my response makes any sense :D 

Edited by drahkon

Finally started playing this recently, still not sure what to make of it. :hehe: It’s certainly... unique. :heh:

Looks amazing though. Playing it on PC at max settings with such a smooth frame rate is quite the visual treat. :cool: Glad I decided against the PS4 version now.

Think I’m starting to get to grips with the gameplay loop, but there’s just so much shit going on with options and menus etc. has been confusing the hell out of me! :laughing: I’m glad there’s at least an option to auto arrange the cargo, can’t be dealing with that malarkey. 

The story is obviously another confusing aspect, but I was always expecting that. :D It doesn’t help that there are so many weird names and abbreviations to keep track of. I do kind of wish the story would move a bit quicker though.

So far the most enjoyment I’ve had with this game has been for all the wrong reasons, and that is the absolute hilarity of trying to ride the motorcycle in completely inappropriate locations. Yeah, seeing the bike awkwardly stuttering over rocks and up cliffs has had me in stitches on several occasions now (what can I say, I’m easily entertained :grin:) it’s even funnier when the moody soundtrack kicks in.

Anyway, looking forward to discovering where the story goes, hopefully it’ll pick up the pace a bit soon.

• Like 3

Discovered photo mode: :cool:

gJrGzL6.jpg

Spoiler

1NqNRM6.jpg

Things have really picked up since my last post...

Spoiler

I'm now on episode 6, and there have been lots of great surprises, like being tricked into delivering a bomb, an incredible WW1 action sequence (please tell me there is more stuff/gameplay like that!) and just many cool moments in general. :)

Wasn't too sure about this game at first, but it's really growing on me. :grin:

• Like 1

Director's Cut coming 24th September: 

Take on the trials of Sam Bridges with advanced combat, explore new locations with extra missions and minigames, experience an extended storyline and much more.

The circuit looks wild! 

EDIT: guess I regret my words and deeds from the State of Play thread; details on the PS5 features and upgrade path from the PS Blog:

PlayStation 5 features
• Experience environment effects with the DualSense wireless controller’s haptic feedback.
• Get closer to the world of Death Stranding with bespoke adaptive trigger resistance.
• Hear sound effects come to life in 3D Audio (requires compatible headphones).
• Get into the action quickly with the PS5 console’s ultra-fast SSD and near-instant load times.
• Choose from two picture modes – Performance Mode with upscaled 4K and up to 60FPS or Fidelity Mode in native 4K – both with ultra-wide and HDR support. 

Upgrade path defined

If you already own the PS4 version of Death Stranding, you can get the PS5 Death Stranding Director’s Cut Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade for only [$10].

Buy any version of Death Stranding for PS4 to get the Death Stranding Director’s Cut Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade for PS5 for the same price mentioned above.

Edited by Julius

I see they're going for Nintendo's tactic of only releasing DLC as a improved edition on the next console.

Although at least there's an upgrade instead if requiring people to pay full price.

Thank god! There just aren't enough Strand-type games these days. I need my fix.

London bridge is falling down,
falling down, falling down.
London bridge is falling down,

my fair lady.

My Death Stranding Director's Cut journey has begun.
The first two hours are an incredible introduction to the game. Characters, setting, tone, mystery. Everything is in full force :D 

Forgot about my jumpiness during BT Encounters, so I had fun during the first one. Gasped audibly whenever a BT came close :laughing: Many more of those to come, surely.
Hearing Low Roar songs still gives me goosebumps. These sequences are wonderful.

Took my first shower (ingame, you monsters). Yup, it's a Kojima game alright :p 

Looks like the Monster Energy deal must've run out? The cans have been replaced with Bridges Energy. No complaints here, they look much better.

Edit: Forget to mention: The DualSense transforms this game. Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers make the gameplay even better. It's a perfect fit.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

BT Encounters never get old :D 

Spoiler

Got my first defensive measure to deal with BTs. Rarely used them in the original game, doubt it'll change in this one.

Always lovely to see constructions built by other people. The online mechanics in this one are really cool. Can't wait to see how the world will look once I've reached the latter stages of the game. I expect lots and lots of zip lines :p 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

I love this game :D 
When I played the non-director's cut I never really dabbled with MULE outposts. But they sure are fun to tackle once you get the Bola Gun. FEEL MY STRANDS AROUND YOUR NECKS!

Been doing a couple of side-missions, finished the construction of a road and got scared by a couple of BTs.

You always know that shit's about to go down when you approach this:

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-202212121

• Like 1

Haven't made a ton of progress in recent days thanks to Hades :p 

I did, however, acquire an upgrade:

Spoiler

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-202212142

Was very surprised to see some roads constructed. Made a few orders pretty easy :D 
I might raid some MULE outposts to gather materials and construct more roads tomorrow.

• Like 1

Oh my god...I never new you could see BTs when you simply stand still...I literally always moved and therefore questioned the efficacy of anti-BT weapons.

tumblr_ptui4u01y31r2pp2to1_500.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

I literally always moved and therefore questioned the efficacy of anti-BT weapons.

Well...turns out they really are effective

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-202212151,

:D 
From now on I'll go through a BT area in a straight line destroying everything standing floating in my way. My old method of zig-zag routing is a thing of the past

By the way, did I mention that this game is drop-dead gorgeous:

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-202212151

Spent most of my morning finishing the construction of a few roads. Those orange lines (i.e. roads) on the map are a thing of beauty. Makes completing some orders a cakewalk :D 

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-202212151

• Like 1

Spoiler

Reuniting the Junk Peddler with his love is such a wonderful aspect of the game.

You spent the entirety before that without really experiencing those kind of interactions. The entire time is spent mostly in isolation, wandering alone, delivering items for holograms. You get used to it and then...a true human interaction. :) 

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-202212161

And while you're bringing the lady to him you get to hear Give Up by Low Roar.

This game is something special. :heart: 

Edit:

And this is how you deliver stuff:

Steal a MULE truck and use roads :D 

Someone built this bridge in the perfect spot. No wonder it got 60k likes 👍👍

Edited by drahkon

Spoiler

DEATH-STRANDING-DIRECTOR-S-CUT-202212171

The game's cast is so good :D 

Connected more stations to the chiral network. It's time to rebuild some more roads. Gonna have to collect and deliver materials for those from far away, though.

Edited by drahkon