NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Death Stranding (PS4 Kojima)

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

Any clue what time it's likely to drop? I would assume it'll be a Japanese-centric announcement so would come in the early hours here but Sony seems to be pretty heavily US biased recently so it could come in US afternoon time instead. 

I think we'll get a nailed on release date and a smidge more gameplay, the last couple of trailers set out the plot as clearly as we're going to get so can't see them doing another story heavy trailer. 

No clue, but there's currently a cryptic video looping depicting some of the handprints from earlier trailers over on PlayStation's Twitch channel titled Death Stranding: Tomorrow Is In Your Hands

http://www.twitch.tv/playstation

So safe to say we're getting something tomorrow? 

Yep, it's today: 

...at some time after 16:00? :D

Edited by Julius

Preorders on PSN are going up soon.

D7toCBTXoAAROfR.jpg

If that is the case then you have to imagine that the game will be releasing this year.

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Preorders on PSN are going up soon.

D7toCBTXoAAROfR.jpg

If that is the case then you have to imagine that the game will be releasing this year.

Yeah, definitely this year. I've seen November floating about as a possibility, but TLoU2 looks like it could come out this year too, so I have to wonder if the backend of the year might be a little saturated in terms of exclusives.

Sick of that bloody thumbs up baby, we better only see him do it once in the final game. 

Looks really good though, seems like a natural progression from MGSV in terms of gameplay without Kojima being hamstrung by the history of a 20+ year franchise, basically having free reign to go totally batshit with the story. 

Bloody hell! It’s actually releasing on PS4!? And it’s coming out THIS YEAR!?!?

Honest to goodness shocked! They pumped this game out really fast! Was absolutely expecting it to be a PS5 launch window title! :o 

Edited by Dcubed

Summary from the official website has a few extra details worth looking over:

What is Death Stranding?

From legendary game creator Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) comes an all-new, genre-defying open world action adventure for PS4, starring Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux and Lindsay Wagner.

In the near future, mysterious explosions have rocked the globe, setting off a series of supernatural events known as the Death Stranding. With otherworldly creatures plaguing the landscape, and mass extinction imminent, it’s up to Sam Porter Bridges to travel across the ravaged wasteland and save humanity from impending annihilation.

Face unique challenges

Arm yourself and take aim at a variety of objectives in your mission to reunite a broken nation, while balancing under the weight of your cargo as you travel. Protect your supplies from wild bandits, and stay safe from the terrifying Beached Things… or face failing those who depend on you.

Death is not the end

There is no traditional ‘game over’ state in Death Stranding. Lose your life during combat and you’ll find yourself in an upside-down realm, searching for a way back to the living. Choose your combat methods carefully, as killing your foe is almost never the solution – and every death carries a consequence

Assist other players

Help other travellers without ever crossing paths via asynchronous online gameplay. Send supplies, share safe houses and walk in the footsteps of fellow couriers to reunite civilisation.

My unfounded confidence in this game coming this year has paid off. So, Cyberpunk 2077 will be coming out in the next 18 months, right? :p

v5s02426c6131.jpg

Edited by Julius

I only really had a passing interest in this before, a sort of "watch someone else play it" sort of interest, but I might consider buying it myself now. It's reassuringly Kojima.

This looks incredible! :o

I am quite concerned about how it will perform on a standard PS4 though, namely my standard PS4 and its super hyperactive fans. :heh: But yeah, as someone who's never been a huge fan of Metal Gear or stealth gameplay mechanics in general, MGSV really changed my opinion of both (absolutely loved that game) and this seems to be similar from a gameplay perspective... I think, it's difficult to tell. :heh: Anyway, even if it's not as entertaining to play as MGSV was, there's no doubt the rest of what's going on (whatever the hell that may be :D) will probably be my cup of tea.

• Like 1

Not a stealth game but a Strand Game. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Haha 2

I like Kojima, you can't doubt the sheer creativity he brings to his games, and for that he should be revered. But if he was a real movie director (as he seems to want to be) then I'd be yelling that he needs an editor. Someone to cut half the godawful dialogue (and it is especially bad in that trailer), and refine what are generally bloated games. For me his finest game is still MGS3, which is practically streamlined compared to MGS4 (which is bad game imo). 

Looking at this I already worry that we'll get 6 dozen systems, some good, some bad, and none of them balanced as part of the whole.

To end on a good note though I love the sound of the asynchronous multiplayer. Anything dark souls inspired is good.

Does this look good? Or is it just weird?

54 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

I like Kojima, you can't doubt the sheer creativity he brings to his games, and for that he should be revered. But if he was a real movie director (as he seems to want to be) then I'd be yelling that he needs an editor. Someone to cut half the godawful dialogue (and it is especially bad in that trailer), and refine what are generally bloated games. For me his finest game is still MGS3, which is practically streamlined compared to MGS4 (which is bad game imo). 

Looking at this I already worry that we'll get 6 dozen systems, some good, some bad, and none of them balanced as part of the whole.

To end on a good note though I love the sound of the asynchronous multiplayer. Anything dark souls inspired is good.

I can totally understand your reservations, MGS3 is my favourite Kojima game too because it found a really great balanced between compelling story and compelling gameplay but I really enjoyed the variety of gameplay on offer in MGSV, it was so mechanically deep that when you ignored the extraneous elements like the completely unfocused story and the awful Mother Base-building system there were the bones of a great game. 

Death Stranding will undoubtedly lean way too heavily on the bizarre plot and characters but I still trust Kojima Productions to make an engaging game. If it borrows the stealth mechanics from MGSV and offers the player a multitude of ways to approach each mission then I think we can forgive Kojima for some over the top dialogue and self indulgent narrative decisions. The inclusion of the asynchronous multiplayer only makes me more optimistic that the missions will offer a lot of scope for replayability. 

I'm definitely not expecting it to be completely knock my socks off but I can't see it being a total mess either, I could go either way on the story but would be very surprised if the gameplay isn't enjoyable at all. 

Yeah I totally agree, MGSV felt unfinished in so many ways (because it was). I know everyone gives them shit about that weird zombie semi-sequal they made (can't remember the name) but that was a fun engine and gameplay loop they created MGSV. In the end we just needed more stuff to apply our skills to, so I don't blame them for producing more content. They just delivered it wrong. Should have just take the online element in MGSV and added co-op raids as dlc. 

By the way what we got to do to get the metal gear games on switch? Would love to have them portal.

27 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

What's a Vita?

A fantastic handheld that ignorant gamers (as well as Sony ) ignored. :p 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A fantastic handheld that ignorant gamers (as well as Sony ) ignored. :p 

Image result for nervous gif

• Haha 2

Never played an MGS game due to their lack of appearance on Nintendo home consoles, so Kojima feels very alien to me. I can imagine the reviews and impressions for this being quite polarising, as there will no doubt be some who love his style and some who just maybe will never like it. 

I know it's never going to happen, but... Silent Hills. What could have been. 

The latest stuff shown off during the Gamescom opening night has tipped me over the edge into skepticism, it seems far too heavy on the batshit story ideas and much too light on actual gameplay. I really hope we get to see a hint of a boss battle or something because watching a man urinate for 20 seconds doesn't really sell me on the actual interactive side of the game. 

Also Geoff Keighley's cameo is laughably awkward.