NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Death Stranding (PS4 Kojima)

Well played Kojima and Sony. :D

I'm intrigued. :)

Does nothing for me as it gives next to nothing away.

That, in my opinion, Kojima is also one of the most over-rated developers out there also means I have next to no interest in this.

The only thing that keeps a sliver of intrigue within me is the PT demo and how I enjoyed that (for a bit, until it stopped being scary).

While stupid people like @kav82 have next to no interest in this, I love the stuff Kojima creates and I already love the theories about the game that are out there. I'm just joking, kav. You're not stupid

uUUD3EB.png

The dog tags show equations related to quantum mechanics and black holes. Two topics I'm very interested in. The mathematics aren't my thing, but the general ideas and theories behind them are beautiful to me.

If this game has quantum mechanics in it...HHHNNNNNGGGGGG

Then again, Death Stranding could also be about bees collecting honey. It's Kojima we're talking about. He might be trolling. He did, however, say in an interview (YouTube Live at E3) that he put several teasers in the trailer so the community could theorize.

Thanks to the community and this trailer I know something about the Dirac Equation and Schwarzschild Equation. The latter I find very interesting because it describes the radius of a sphere on which the velocity needed to escape its gravitational pull equals the speed of light, thus creating the event horizon and in turn deformations of spacetime.

No idea why I just wrote that down...I seem to like talking about that stuff :D

Edit: By the way, Low Roar (music from the trailer) is awesome. Just listened to a couple of songs on Spotify. Good music.

Edited by drahkon

I've ran out of thanks so I'll just post...

Haha, you cheeky git!

And it's way better than Konami's Pachinko. Also it's coming on Mobile as well. :P

I hope it turns out it's a Mario Party-esque mini game collection.

It does take a long time to make sure your name appears every five minutes.

It does take a long time to make sure your name appears every five minutes.

He should really just set up a mail merge

An interview with Shawn Layden from The Telegraph proved to shed some light on how Death Stranding currently stands.

One notable absence from Sony’s stage this year was Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding. The celebrated auteur attended the conference but didn’t bring any new footage with him, prompting concerns that we could be in for another of his protracted development cycles. Does the game actually exist beyond the pair of trailers previously released or are we still in the concept stage?

“No, no - its up and running,” Layden confirms. “It’s been aided tremendously after Kojima-San decided to co-opt the Decima [graphics] engine from Guerrilla [that powered Horizon Zero Dawn]. And, gosh, that really gave him a leg up to get up and running and test it and have some prototype levels running. I couldn’t explain to you what the game is…”

Does that mean you’ve actually played some of it?

“I have actually played some of it.”

And is it as revolutionary as Kojima-San is promising?

“[After a thoughtful pause] All that and more!”

So it actually exists?

“It actually exists.”

Glad he's using a powerful engine. The creation of a new engine is extremely time consuming and expensive.

And to be fair about the comments of Kojima having long cycles. MGS1-2 was two years, 2-3 was three years, 3-4 was four years (and a new engine on a different console), The longest time was after 4 until Ground Zeroes/5 (6 years). During which was the creation of Fox Engine (5 years from conception to a released title), and also the development of Revengeance.

For the most part I'd say the development times have been rather reasonable. Especially since he has directed other games inbetween Metal Gear releases.

Yeah, that baby in Reedus' throat giving a thumbs-up wasn't creepy at all. :D

Oh my, I want this game now.

Edit: And the Decima engine...hhhhnnnngggggggg!

Edited by drahkon

That trailer told me literally nothing. So nothing new there as far as this game(?) is concerned.

That trailer told me literally nothing. So nothing new there as far as this game(?) is concerned.
I have a feeling this is one of those games where playing half the story will tell you literally nothing. And you'll have to go onto a popular gaming website and read a praise on what the hell you just watched and what did it mean.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It definitely posed more questions than it answered but at least we know why the ground is covered in dead and dying sea life. If the gameplay is anything like MGSV then it'll be great but it seems like it's going to be a long time before we see any actual gameplay. So far it's great but it's basically just a series of short films

My main feeling after seeing that trailer was "what the hell have I just watched?"

God bless Kojima, I may not understand all of his work but the man's a visionary and great to see his ambition is being let off the leash now he's running the show!

• Thanks 1

Cool cutscene, but the bit where Norman Reedus' mate stabs himself in the chest repeatedly to try and kill himself, was totally unnecessary and a tad upsetting. Things like that and having a father kill his own child in Detroit + the trailer cutscene in TLOU2 with the girl having her arms hammered in... it's all getting a bit silly. And that's before God of War, Days Gone...