Hero-of-Time

Resident Evil VII

I bought this yesterday for £17 in ASDA and finally managed to get 45 minutes with it this morning :smile:

My first impressions are that the visuals and atmosphere have been excellent so far but that the few characters I've seen, including those you control, haven't been particularly convincing but I find this to be true of most horror films and games where the weirdness and severity of the unfolding terror isn't portrayed well.

I suspect I'm going to have a very good time with this, though, and I'm delighted the franchise has stepped away from the mess it was getting itself into, at least for my taste :hehe:

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 2

I just beat Resident Evil VII this morning and never really expected to feel so disappointed by it :hmm:

The credits are STILL rolling but that final boss was terrible and, to be honest, most of the game never lived up to the hype!

On 12/7/2017 at 1:02 PM, nekunando said:

I just beat Resident Evil VII this morning and never really expected to feel so disappointed by it :hmm:

The credits are STILL rolling but that final boss was terrible and, to be honest, most of the game never lived up to the hype!

Best horror experience I've ever had.. in VR that is. Being in that house was terrifying.

Edited by somme

9 minutes ago, somme said:

Best horror experience I've ever had.. in VR that is. Being in that house was terrifying.

I suspected VR might transform the game into something a little more special but I'll probably never get to try it. I felt the opening section was very promising but things didn't really develop as I would maybe have hoped!

Having said that, my last three 'survival horror' games have been disappointing to varying degrees.

Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water was mostly boring, The Evil Within was largely trash and then I didn't feel Resident Evil VII lived up to the hype.

It could just be me.. :heh:

2 hours ago, nekunando said:

I suspected VR might transform the game into something a little more special but I'll probably never get to try it. I felt the opening section was very promising but things didn't really develop as I would maybe have hoped!

Having said that, my last three 'survival horror' games have been disappointing to varying degrees.

Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water was mostly boring, The Evil Within was largely trash and then I didn't feel Resident Evil VII lived up to the hype.

It could just be me.. :heh:

When it comes to disliking a lot of games, I've been telling you that for years. :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We've done our whole Christmas meal and present giving already, as we're in Belgium visiting @Eenuh's family. This was one of the presents that I was given. :)

I'm looking forward to utterly neglecting it until I get through the games that I was given last Christmas and when I decide to play something that isn't Overwatch.

• Like 2

This is another game that I would like to pick up.

I know im getting quite a few games for xmas and I picked some in the black friday sales.This is not one of them but I have now managed to build up a library to get through.

I don’t understand how people haven’t played this? Fair enough if you don’t like the series or whatever, but it’s worth a play through at least once I think. Purely because it’s a pretty unique experience and for me is up there as one of the best games this year. 

It also isn’t anywhere near as scary as it was made out to be and I’m a wimp. :p 

ive asked for the gold edition for Christmas for my XBONE X so I can play through it again and then play the DLC which looks like it could either be great or absolutely naff! 

I used to get scared by the skeletons that appeared in Hyrule field at night, so I doubt I'll find enjoyment in this.

21 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I don’t understand how people haven’t played this? Fair enough if you don’t like the series or whatever, but it’s worth a play through at least once I think. Purely because it’s a pretty unique experience and for me is up there as one of the best games this year. 

It also isn’t anywhere near as scary as it was made out to be and I’m a wimp. :p 

ive asked for the gold edition for Christmas for my XBONE X so I can play through it again and then play the DLC which looks like it could either be great or absolutely naff! 

It's quite simple really. There are just lots of other games to play, as well. Plus, the games from last year that a lot are still ploughing through. I'd say it's quite easy for games to get brushed aside or to become a part of a crowd. 

I first have to play through Resi 6 first. By the time I finish that, 7will probably be on Steam for a good price!

48 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I first have to play through Resi 6 first. By the time I finish that, 7will probably be on Steam for a good price!

I really wouldn't bother unless you're in a mood to torture yourself. 

I played 6 in the summer in co-op with @Mike1988uk and we both love the RE series, but this game is shite. :D

You also don't get any story cross over really so there's not much benefit from a series perspective. 

Oh wow it's that bad huh? I already have it on Steam so will give it a go, if only to test my Steam Link. :D And see how far I can plow through before I throw in the towel haha.

• Thanks 1

I've never played Resi 5 or 6. I've been warned off of them before but are they really that bad? Couch co-op seems fun? Are they broken or just too action-heavy for most Resi fans?

Yeah I enjoyed Resi 5 as well, although it is already much more action-heavy compared to 4. If you like the more traditional tight-space Resi try Revelations. Only let-down there is they traded the zombies for mutants. 

How is Resi Revelations 2 by the way? Never played that one as well.

5 hours ago, somme said:

I've never played Resi 5 or 6. I've been warned off of them before but are they really that bad? Couch co-op seems fun? Are they broken or just too action-heavy for most Resi fans?

Don't let anyone warn you off 5. It's co-op perfection. 

Whilst it is slightly more action than the previous games it's a fantastic co-op game and the story isn't too bad although it obviously verges on silly at times. Typical RE. 

Even in co-op I wouldn't recommend 6. It's awful. But I've read some comments over the years from people who want the series to go in this direction again (shudder) so some might enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1