NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Resident Evil VII

It's really good. Classic Resi fun but in first-person. My entire playthrough so far has been in VR and I can't imagine playing it in 2D. Being inside that awful house, being able to peek around corners yourself - it's a blast.

Hopefully more developers will follow suit and make their games playable in VR and not.

:bowdown: Do keep us updated - can't find any vr-only reviews so I'm interested to see if you stick with the VR all the way through and keep loving it (and avoid a heart attack).

Might be the game to convince me to buy psvr for myself at last when my birthday rolls around.

:bowdown: Do keep us updated - can't find any vr-only reviews so I'm interested to see if you stick with the VR all the way through and keep loving it (and avoid a heart attack).

Might be the game to convince me to buy psvr for myself at last when my birthday rolls around.

Patrick Klepek from Waypoint played through it all in VR and loved it

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/resident-evil-7-is-the-game-horror-fans-have-been-waiting-for

Iv been looking forward to this so much, I can't wait to get back on sunday and play for a few hours!!!

How terrifying is it? Don't know if I like cope :)

I've had to have friends in the room to get through it. We've actually been taking turns and that's been great fun. But yeah it's pretty terrifying!

I'm refusing to play it in 2D, I want to finish it in VR. But yeah I'm also writing a review for it. Should have it done on Saturday - unfortunately I'm busy until then!

I think I'm about five hours in - thought I was doing great. I had loads of ammo, but as we all know, it only takes a few difficult enemies to get drain all those bullets!

This game man! :D

It's genuinely unsettling when you're simply moving from one point to another, it becomes terrifying at times though. :hmm:

Of course this is a good thing, Resident Evil is Survivial Horror afterall, so far the seventh entry more than lives up to its genre. :)

The Garage...

Trying to escape down a corridor only for an axe to be swung through the wall as a shortcut for the evil old man, who doesn't seem to stay dead!

Finally, getting two thirds through a puzzle, going looking for the last piece , squeezing through a gap in the wall, finding some black ooze nested in a room and then seeing something emerge from it which looks like a regenerador from Resident Evil 4... :shakehead

DO NOT WANT!

I ran all the way back to the save room and called it a night. :blush:

I think that's enough for one evening, judging by my reaction to the game so far I don't think I could play it in VR even if I wanted to - which I don't - but I'm appreciative that the title is being enjoyed using the PSVR being that it's the first main, established franchise game to be using it.

My initial fears about it being compromised in "standard" TV mode have been belayed, the choice to show everything in first-person just works very well and the whole experience is very enjoyable. :grin:

Tomorrow I'll play some more, once I build up the nerve to play again.

It sounds a bit over the top perhaps but this game really has a sinister atmosphere and as much as I enjoy playing, short bursts are best at the moment until I get used to it all. : peace:

I managed to play another two hours of this last night, before deciding I'd had enough for the evening. :p

It's not a bad thing, just that I can only take so much of it at one time as it seems to take a great deal of planning your progression.

Just like in the earlier games, the ammo pickups seem scarce, as are the herbs and chemical fluid which you'll be needing a fair few of in order to survive.

More of the house is being explored now, following a brilliant puzzle, a passageway opens up, you crawl through the gap, getting to that black stuff again which I got to yesterday which appears to be some kind of sentient mould... lovely.

:heh:

I was looking for where that creature was but there was no sign of it initially, so I carry on down the corridor, checking each corner then when I reach the second corner which leads down to some stairs, that's when it lurched round the corner and I came face to... disfigured face with the Molded. :shakehead

After running back and gaining some distance, I find that the usual tactic of aiming for the head then shooting three times seems to work well enough, it goes down allowing me to enter the room next to the stairs which is the second Save Room; I get to gather my wits here before going down the stairs into what is a seperate part of the house which seems to hold more than a few secrets, puzzles plus lots of Molded spread throughout... appearing when you least expect them to. :hmm:

Progress has been made, I quickly ascertained which rooms not to go in initially following some gruesome deaths, figured out a simple yet effective puzzle leading to a fight with a more powerful version of the Molded, yet I only had two bullets so I got out my knife and slashed it while blocking inbetween as it seems that while destroying the head is preferable, you can knock out limbs or decimate the 'body' of the creature to destroy it... this takes longer and is riskier but I did it so that was good. :)

Now I've just got to get my hands on that Shotgun so that I can go back in, clear the room with more than one of them in, hopefully get that last piece to the puzzle I mentioned yesterday so I can explore part of the outside, I get the feeling that it won't be easy though, especially if I get intercepted by one of the Baker family on the way. :red:

I'm looking forward to possibly advancing a little bit further tonight after work, safe to say that I am enjoying the game while finding it more than a little bit unsettling.

Nervously excited at the prospect of waiting to see what's through the next door or around the next corner. : peace:

My oldest brother phoned me this morning to tell me how is getting on with the game. He wasn't going to pick it up as he hated how they changed the perspective but he decided to give it a go. He's enjoying it but still prefers the 3rd person view. Him and his wife love horror movies and the R Evil franchise so they've enjoyed the jump scares.

It's a shame i'll never get to play this. The first person view, along with the realistic graphics, would make it far too scary for myself to play. I hate being freaked out and I won't watch horror movies, so this is a big NOPE from me. This will be the first mainline Resident Evil game that I won't play. :(

This is the first Resident Evil I've really been interested in since 4 so I can't wait to eventually play it :hehe:

I've been trying to avoid footage!

It's the first one I've played since 4 and it's one of the best. I'm enjoying it as much as the first two. I'm really enjoying the first -person (VR) perspective. Being in the house is crazy.

My oldest brother phoned me this morning to tell me how is getting on with the game. He wasn't going to pick it up as he hated how they changed the perspective but he decided to give it a go. He's enjoying it but still prefers the 3rd person view. Him and his wife love horror movies and the R Evil franchise so they've enjoyed the jump scares.

It's a shame i'll never get to play this. The first person view, along with the realistic graphics, would make it far too scary for myself to play. I hate being freaked out and I won't watch horror movies, so this is a big NOPE from me. This will be the first mainline Resident Evil game that I won't play. :(

I am exactly the same.

I've yet to finish Alien Isolation (ended up trading it in) it was just far too terrifying. I couldn't cope.

I am currently playing through Until Dawn. Oh my god it is continuously making me jump.

I don't think i'll be able to cope with this game. At the same time I do want it.

Get on my level.

I couldn't finish Bioshock Infinite because it was too creepy.

Nooooo Hero. You can't miss out!

I'm the biggest wimp going but I've cracked on with it. I haven't shit myself too many times yet haha.

It really is a bit of a return to form so far and I'm enjoying playing through it.

I am exactly the same.

I've yet to finish Alien Isolation (ended up trading it in) it was just far too terrifying. I couldn't cope.

I am currently playing through Until Dawn. Oh my god it is continuously making me jump.

I don't think i'll be able to cope with this game. At the same time I do want it.

Yeah if you couldn't cope with the original Until Dawn, you won't last long in RE7. :santa:

Been playing more of this today and I really am enjoying it.

I have had a few moments that have made me jump but they are nicely paced i think. The game doesn't keep you on edge the whole time (I think in VR mode it may do) so it isn't like 'Condemned' where you're terrified to go around every corner as you don't know what awaits.

Not very many enemies so far, just the roaming recurring ones that pop up.

I love how all of the areas are linking together so far, it feels very much like the RE of old where there's a large map but you need to revisit and remember sections that you can come back to.

It's easily the best game I've played for ages (not that I've played loads) and I really don't want it to end. Although there are further challenges once the credits role with the complete in under 4 hours achievement and the higher difficulties.

I'm going to try and muster up the courage to play this sometime. I wasn't sure until I just watched the Easy Allies review. It's going to be one hell of a challenge, but it looks too good of an experience to miss. I don't know when I'll get around to buying it, but I do know this gonna be tough.

Not having a next-gen console or a super-fast PC I didn't even give this a thought, but I was in GAME the other day and the guys behind the counter were talking about it. They were all playing it in VR upstairs while the store was quiet and I was intrigued by what they were discussing. Anyway, I get home and see that Boogie 2988 has uploaded a Let's Play of the first 2 hours, so I stick it on in the background while I do some stuff in the kitchen..

Man, this game. It looks so freaking awesome! I was completely hooked despite hating the whole concept of a Let's play. I watched the entire two hours and was engrossed with the game's atmosphere, storytelling and graphics. The amount of tension is insane, I can't even imagine how incredible it would be to play in VR. It really looks like the "next step up" in the same way that Resi 4 revolutionised what had become a stale series. I'm planning on upgrading my PC in the Summer so this is the first game I'm going to go out and buy when that's done. I adored 4 on the GameCube but haven't played anything since, this looks like the game that could pull me back in to the series again. I'm even half tempted to re-start 4 from the beginning again to help ease the wait. Also the Arcade Club in Bury, where we had the MadDog Marathon, have just installed three new VR-enabled PS4s with this game running on them, I might go down and check it out when I have a weekend off.

The game doesn't keep you on edge the whole time (I think in VR mode it may do)

Nah, there are nicer moments - even in VR. The music and sound work wonders at letting you know when you can feel at ease. It's much like the originals - when you're in a puzzle section you know you're mostly safe... mostly. Those parts are definitely welcomed in VR.

I'd say my favourite Resi's are 1, 2, 4 and now 7.

Nah, there are nicer moments - even in VR. The music and sound work wonders at letting you know when you can feel at ease. It's much like the originals - when you're in a puzzle section you know you're mostly safe... mostly. Those parts are definitely welcomed in VR.

I'd say my favourite Resi's are 1, 2, 4 and now 7.

That's good to know.

I'd love to experience it in VR some day.

Mine are easily 1, Zero, 4, 5 and 7.

Also the Revelations games I enjoyed too.

Never played 2 / 3. :weep:

I am exactly the same.

Bruuuuh, can't believe you didn't stick with Alien. :heh:

I loved that game. However, it was tense as fuck. Very memorable. Think I gained a heart condition because of that game.

I'm looking forward to playing RE7 in the future. Beginning Hour was fantastic. My last playthrough on that demo left me in such a terrible state that I couldn't handle going back into it. I think I posted about it on here somewhere.

Seriously what is wrong with all you guys?

In fairness I never played the demo so I can't really appreciate what you guys saw, but the actual game is not that scary. There are moments don't get me wrong, but not where it leaves me terrified of playing it?! And I'm a big girl at times. I can't even watch Casualty. :(

It's still Resident Evil at heart and any fan of the series seriously needs to play it or they're just missing out.

But if you do have an actual heart condition maybe skip it. :P

Got this on release, played it, completed it... and I love it! It's definitely a return to form, and easily one of my favourite instalments in the RE series. All the little homages and references to the previous games are great, and it really don't feel forced, it's certainly worthy of the "Resident Evil" title. For me personally, it feels like the perfect mix of 1 and 4, with some elements that are fresh for the series being blended in.

Oh, and I've recorded it all for a let's play. Here's part 1 if anyones interested...

#shamelessplug

• Like 1

Absolutely loving the game so far. Definitely the scariest game I've ever played. So so tense and despite comments about the bosses, I've actually really enjoyed them!

A massive, massive return to form. Bravo Capcom!

Gold edition and DLC trailer. Apparently there are spoilers for the main game in this trailer. You have been warned.

Spoiler

Still wish I had the courage to play this. One day....maybe.

• Like 1

Glad I held off on buying it!  Will gladly cop the Gold Edition on Steam when it hits :D