NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Oli1983uk

Broken Laptop

My bro has a IBM think pad laptop, it has been acting up in the last few days and now has totally gone. It locked up yestrday and he restarted but after restarting it the laptop come up with a blue screen after the XP loading screen saying it cant find a operating system. My bro wants to know if there is anyway of getting anythign thats sotred on the harddrive off it now that windows will not load?

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

You could use a linux live distribution to get files off I think. Something like slax or knoppix. They may let you burn the files onto a cd/dvd or a floppy.

he has tried to boot into safe mode but the samething happends. i think its just buggered and needs formating!

Or you could just try reinstalling XP without formatting. That way you could get the files backed up and then format and install it again.

have tried booting from CD it wont let me, it just tries to load windows it fails shows a blue screen and then restarts!

You could take out the HDD and copy all the data onto a computer. You just need an adapter for Laptop to normal IDE.

have tried booting from CD it wont let me, it just tries to load windows it fails shows a blue screen and then restarts!

You have to change the setting in the bios so that it boots from cd not a hard drive.

have done all that! i am gonna give up trying to help him! the mroe i try and help the more he moans at me so he can sort it!

Ohhh... how hot is it getting? I hate bloody laptops for that reason alone!

Similar thing happened to me when my friend accidentally stopped one of the main windows processes from Task Manager. Unfortunately for me formatting was the only answer. But don't let me stop ya. Try EVERYTHING!

Sign in to follow this