NEurope
Choze

Project Scorpio 'Gaming Beyond Generations'

It's just baffling to me that they're putting so much stock in being the 'most powerful console'. 95% of people who really care about power game on PC because it is by far and away the most powerful platform if you're willing to invest in it, Microsoft's decision to start releasing first party Xbox exclusives on PC negates the need for that demographic to invest in an Xbox so the market for the Scorpio seems incredibly niche. I think it's probably wise to unveil it before E3 and get all of the technical stuff out of the way so that they can focus exclusively on games in their E3 conference but they're going to have to unveil several third party proper Xbox (and not PC) exclusives in order to sell the console correctly. There is no point in being the 'most powerful console' if you don't also have exclusive games to back it up.

MS really have a chip on their shoulder after having their hardware outdone by Sony this generation...

It is pretty weird tbh. Surely people with 4KTVs who want a semi-4K console experience will just have bought the PS4 Pro already? While this is a more powerful console you've got to wonder if they can make customers this late in the game care about that extra power. You look at the games on both systems too and it's like mid-to-late PS3 vs 360 era all over again.

I remember we all mentioned this in the PlayStation Meet thread all that time ago. The Scorpio feels like an aggressive carpet bombing raid on an empty field.

Edited by dwarf

It is pretty weird tbh. Surely people with 4KTVs who want a semi-4K console experience will just have bought the PS4 Pro already? While this is a more powerful console you've got to wonder if they can make customers this late in the game care about that extra power. You look at the games on both systems too and it's like mid-to-late PS3 vs 360 era all over again.

Or, you might have a 4KTV, and rather than buy the same console twice you want to get the Scorpio to enjoy those sweet sweet Xbox exclusives.

Or, you might have a 4KTV, and rather than buy the same console twice you want to get the Scorpio to enjoy those sweet sweet Xbox exclusives.

Sweet Xbox exclusives...is that sarcasm?

Of course it isn't.

And to prove it, I shall name more than one Xbox exclusive.

There's Halo, right?

And...

It's just baffling to me that they're putting so much stock in being the 'most powerful console'. 95% of people who really care about power game on PC because it is by far and away the most powerful platform if you're willing to invest in it, Microsoft's decision to start releasing first party Xbox exclusives on PC negates the need for that demographic to invest in an Xbox so the market for the Scorpio seems incredibly niche. I think it's probably wise to unveil it before E3 and get all of the technical stuff out of the way so that they can focus exclusively on games in their E3 conference but they're going to have to unveil several third party proper Xbox (and not PC) exclusives in order to sell the console correctly. There is no point in being the 'most powerful console' if you don't also have exclusive games to back it up.

Even for pc, less are investing in a powerful pc. Much more emphasis on a laptop and less upgrading.

Agreed Scorpio won't make any real overall change but little change is all that is required in the UK and US to overtake PS4. Not a guarantee though given the short term One S sales spike, lack of 1st party and games like Destiny being much more popular on PS4.

There ya go. MS chose the website that would be most generous to them lol. :laughing:

Should be interesting given a mix of games will be there. Maybe some new reveals.

I'll wait for a brief write up I think. My eyes started to glaze over during that video lol

Scorpio made simple: the next Xbox's tech explained via Eurogamer.net for those who, like me, are completey in the dark when it comes to stuff about specs.

I haven't cared about a Microsoft console in ages and this doesn't change that...at a lower price point in 3-5 years I might be interested, but Microsoft needs to provide exclusive games that interest me to sway me over.

It does, however, seem to be a powerhouse and could possible change the way consoles will "work" in the future. Sony will obviously follow suit some time later, maybe even with their next console.

And with that Nintendo's hardware specs are even more behind the curve. ::shrug:

Edit: Fixed something for someone special :heart:

Edited by drahkon

I think this is a bit late to the party really, it would have to be mind blowing for me to think about trading in the One i already have for it, but nowadays even the MS exclusives aren't doing it for me, thought Gears 4 was very meh.

Interestingly Michael Pachter thinks Switch will outsell this, very much in the position of "everyone's number 2 console" behind PS4/Pro

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/525483/Michael+Pachter+Switch+will+sell+more+than+Xbox+Scorpio/

Specs are the same as they were last year. 6tf gpu with 12gb ram enhanced Jaguar cpu. The zen cpu people won't be happy. In short words it's a better PS4 Pro/ or PS4 Pro 1 year later.

Given PS4 Pro can handle Xbox one games at 4K natively there is extra room for Scorpio. Again not new news. 4K DVR is nice though.

DX12 stuff is PR fluff.

Price should be similar Pro. This 1 year of new tech will differentiate Scorpio. But don't expect anything remotely next gen.

5PrKkLu.png

Edit: I detest this sort of reveal. One website. 95% fluff 50% PR fluff. Still rather deliberately vague communication about a supposed technical reveal from an excited journalist fan.

Says a lot about who they are targeting.

Edited by Choze

I think this is a bit late to the party really, it would have to be mind blowing for me to think about trading in the One i already have for it, but nowadays even the MS exclusives aren't doing it for me, thought Gears 4 was very meh.

Interestingly Michael Pachter thinks Switch will outsell this, very much in the position of "everyone's number 2 console" behind PS4/Pro

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/525483/Michael+Pachter+Switch+will+sell+more+than+Xbox+Scorpio/

Agreed. This is a big problem for the company and one that isn't solved by a higher spec machine.

I agree with this, as well. Microsoft can't make a dent in Japan and never will. With the Switch being a console and a handheld, selling very well in Japan is a lock. The Switch has had a strong start worldwide and will more than likely continue to do so. Microsoft only have the US and UK markets that are decent for them and even then Sony have eaten a lot of the marketshare in both of these regions.

I'm still looking forward to the proper reveal. I'd much rather have a strong Microsoft in the console race than a weaker one. It keeps Sony and Nintendo in check, rather than them both coasting along.

Edit: Fixed something for someone special :heart:

I seen what you done there, boy...

And I don't like it.

This won't change anything and Sony will pull the trigger on the PS5 two years after Scorpio's release. The best thing Microsoft could have done was invest in studios, and go head-to-head with the PS5 on release with good launch titles and a solid follow up for the first year.

The language Richard Leadbetter uses is infuriatingly irritating. Just say backwards compatibility for fucks sake, "back compat" sounds so dumb.

From what I'm reading it sounds pretty impressive.

The problem is its held back by xb1.

I feel like they would have been much better off treating it like an entirely new generation that had backwards compatibility with all Xbox One games. Obviously Microsoft aren't strapped for cash but they must have spent a lot of money developing this mid-generation leap when they could have been working on the next Xbox and engendering relationships with third parties so that consumers have more reason to invest in Microsoft next time round. Releasing such a powerful​ console now isn't going to result in many more people buying the Xbox One and will only dampen the impact of the next generation.

Actually considering getting one of these. Means I would be 4K ready, and I can play me some Halo 5 (and 6 eventually).

I feel like they would have been much better off treating it like an entirely new generation that had backwards compatibility with all Xbox One games. Obviously Microsoft aren't strapped for cash but they must have spent a lot of money developing this mid-generation leap when they could have been working on the next Xbox and engendering relationships with third parties so that consumers have more reason to invest in Microsoft next time round. Releasing such a powerful​ console now isn't going to result in many more people buying the Xbox One and will only dampen the impact of the next generation.

Far too little for next gen. A whole year and it's only gotten an additional 4 gpu compute units over the PS4 Pro(36 CU). The main difference is in higher speeds/clocks all round. I think that is surprising given the hype/predictions.

This means it will be very competitively priced on the other hand. There is some good cost saving going on with the focus on higher clocks rather than a very different gpu.

The gpu is also separated marking a change from the system on a chip systems. Perhaps to maximise the speeds/clocks.

Edit : The next gen talk is like the switch overhype...

Edited by Choze

And I was so looking forward to Choze's glowing assessment! :sad:

And I was so looking forward to Choze's glowing assessment! :sad:

If you want the best multi platform games in 4k this is the one to get. :grin: once it's out of course.

Far too little for next gen.

I didn't mean they should release this and pretend it's a next generation machine, just that they would have been better off spending another 18 months in R&D and releasing a new console rather than one upping Sony with another 'pro' iteration.