NEurope
Choze

Project Scorpio 'Gaming Beyond Generations'

I didn't mean they should release this and pretend it's a next generation machine, just that they would have been better off spending another 18 months in R&D and releasing a new console rather than one upping Sony with another 'pro' iteration.

Who knows, many are still thinking its one generation of imporvement capable (like the Switch :p). We are approaching 4 years into this generation. I think we can expect announcements for year 6. PS3 was 7 years and 360 8 years, both considered too long.

Edit: Given that MS left the more mundane aspects for Eurogamer/Digitalfoundry and Richard Leadbetter to sex up vs at e3. I think they may aim to launch first into next gen or same time as Sony.

This announcement was literally stuff like just a 10% cpu speed increase over Pro, Gpu at 40 cu vs 36 Pro, same generation/ featured gpu, 12 gb of ram confirmation, reconfirmation of the e3 specs but no upgrades, quite cost friendly. Similar approach as the pro. It's the most powerful console but it isn't anything like what the a new console or PS4 was in 2013 of course.

Edited by Choze

The writing throughout these Eurogamer articles is downright embarassing. Much of it reads more like a fanboyish forum post than a professional article!

I mean, just LOOK at some of this junk...

With the pretty huge caveat that we've only seen one demo running on the machine - and for the umpteenth time, software is everything - we're very impressed. The machine is beautifully engineered, right down to the state-of-the-art vapour cooling system that will keep that monster graphics processor cool. It's a far cry from Xbox One, Kinect and TVTVTV. It reminds us of the original Xbox and Xbox 360 - this is Microsoft throwing its considerable engineering resources at making the best possible games-playing machine. Xbox is back.

Says a lot about the journalistic integrity on display here. Microsoft payed for travel and accomodation you say? Oh gee, it doesn't show at all here... :indeed:

Edited by Dcubed

The writing throughout these Eurogamer articles is downright embarassing. Much of it reads more like a fanboyish forum post than a professional article!

I mean, just LOOK at some of this junk...

Says a lot about the journalistic integrity on display here. Microsoft payed for travel and accomodation you say? Oh gee, it doesn't show at all here... :indeed:

I really don't know what the problem is...this is the layman's translation of the much more technical article the DF guys published. It's also his job to show passion and enthusiasm for games and consoles that excite him.

How do you know this is bias and not just what he thinks anyway?

Edited by Sheikah

"State of the art vapor cooling system" 3 year old article explaining that a vapor chamber is basically the same as heat pipes but low profile. Becoming common these days, especially on GPUs.

Not trying to chime in on the bias accusations as this proves diddly. Just something that stuck out to me.

I think they were similarly glowing about the PS4 Pro when they got a hands on with it at the reveal in September so I don't think there is any sort of bias because Microsoft have given them an exclusive. As someone said earlier, going through Digital Foundry is pretty telling that Microsoft's target audience is the prosumer/tech enthusiast rather than the typical gamer.

I think they were similarly glowing about the PS4 Pro when they got a hands on with it at the reveal in September so I don't think there is any sort of bias because Microsoft have given them an exclusive. As someone said earlier, going through Digital Foundry is pretty telling that Microsoft's target audience is the prosumer/tech enthusiast rather than the typical gamer.

Yep, I remember very well that they were blown away by the Pro as well. They basically love games and geeky tech so I can totally understand why they'd be positive about both the Pro and Scorpio.

A good tech analysis article by PC tech website Anandtech. A shame we have no one on the console side like this!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11250/microsofts-project-scorpio-more-hardware-details-revealed

Has the same criticism we have pointed out(no new chips here over PS4 Pro).

One of the main highlights is that it seems MS are fudging their peak bandwidth figures again.

Edited by Choze

[quote=Choze;1853581http://www.anandtech.com/show/11250/microsofts-project-scorpio-more-hardware-details-revealed

Has the same criticism we have pointed out(no new chips here over PS4 Pro).

Did we?

7988817-man-sharpening-an-axe-on-an-old-pedal-powered-grinding-stone-Stock-Photo.jpg

It's gonna end up like the switch spec situation. Minus the port begging.

That's what I thought too. No port begging from me.

When did this fascination with FPS start? I swear it's only a recent thing.

Certainly nobody cared at what FPS goldeneye or OOT was running at back in the day, but now if something drops below 60 it's absolute garbage and unplayable. I can't even remember people being that bothered about it 5 or 10 years back?

Certainly nobody cared at what FPS goldeneye or OOT was running at back in the day, but now if something drops below 60 it's absolute garbage and unplayable. I can't even remember people being that bothered about it 5 or 10 years back?

It still doesn't bother me but screen tearing does, though. I grew up playing stuff on a NES and C64 and me and my friends called it slowdown. We thought it was just a cool effect. :D

I definitely noticed it when I was 13 playing 'Perfect Dark' with a tonne of simulants on but it never impacted my enjoyment.

Really quite liking the Xbox/Windows 10 play anywhere shit they've had going recently, especially the tendency to bring freebies over to the windows platform.

Gears 4 was just an incredibly well optimised port for Windows, and Forza Horizon 3 is pretty decent too for a game running at an engine not really meant to scale past 30fps. Considering I already have a few titles that'll work on an Xbox, and Scorpio will support Freesync, I'm actually super tempted to pick it up.

They totally did though if you go back and look at reviews and impressions, but it wasn't that big a deal for most people because it was first generation 3D graphics and most of us were too busy losing our shit to complain that the motion was making us nauseous.