NEurope
Choze

Project Scorpio 'Gaming Beyond Generations'

Gaming Beyond Generations refers to MS's plan to not follow console generations.

Project Scorpio (Xbox One Hi spec) , Xbox One S has enhanced specs, Xbox One is low spec.

-Most powerful console. 6 Teraflops. Aimed at VR.

-edit: Games can be made only for Scorpio and not the One if needed.

-Compatible with Xbox One. Backwards compatible.

Edited by Choze

It would indeed seem that generations are gone now that the PC architecture has been adopted. Makes total sense to me, I think it can be a very good thing for the consumer.

It would indeed seem that generations are gone now that the PC architecture has been adopted. Makes total sense to me, I think it can be a very good thing for the consumer.

Disagree. Scorpio alone does not mean gens are gone. That is MS's message to us. I could easily say this is a 32X or 3DO.

The problem this thing has is PS5 if we are talking specs. Also promising BC for the future is premature.

Disagree. Scorpio alone does not mean gens are gone. That is MS's message to us. I could easily say this is a 32X or 3DO.

The problem this thing has is PS5 if we are talking specs. Also promising BC for the future is premature.

Scorpio and Neo

That is one beast of a console. See that Xbox are joining VR (which one, HTC or Occulus). Works in a similar way to the Neo with all current XOne games and accessories working on it. And not abandoning XOne owners whom probably won't get a Scorpio, nice move again.

That's one heck of a beast, and I'm putting it out there now: unless Sony has a console reveal tomorrow or the greatest VR game ever made, Microsoft has just won E3 2016.

The only problem I see this having in sales would be the 4K TV install base, they're still pretty pricey.

The only problem I see this having in sales would be the 4K TV install base, they're still pretty pricey.

But then its due next Christmas. That's a long time in the tech world for prices to come down!

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a drop in prices this summer with the Olympics (which I assume is being broadcast in 4K somewhere...).

But then its due next Christmas. That's a long time in the tech world for prices to come down!

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a drop in prices this summer with the Olympics (which I assume is being broadcast in 4K somewhere...).

Yeah, I'm sure they'll probably drop somewhere between 30% and 50%, so hopefully they're good on that front. You kind of need a VR setup to get the most out of it, and judging from the conference, it seems like Rift has definitely been taking a few kips around Microsoft.

This made me so unrealistically hyped for NX news we're not getting anytime soon..

judging from the conference, it seems like Rift has definitely been taking a few kips around Microsoft.

Though the Rift was shown a lot during the conference but we saw Fallout 4 in the VR section and that most definitely isn't coming to the Rift specifically due to an ongoing lawsuit between Zenimax and Oculus. So perhaps the Xbox One will support both PC HMDs or perhaps it'll be a Microsoft specific one.

I'm dubious of what this console will manage.

6TFLOPs is a nice buzzword. But to me it means AMDs upcoming 480 GPU. Which most likely means excellent 1080p performance and graphics and possible 2560x1440 performance (so grand for all those console gamers playing on monitors, unlikely to be supported really) but 4K is still out with any amount of eyecandy and framerate.

But that's PC performance. With more RAM and better CPUs.

I'm dubious of what this console will manage.

6TFLOPs is a nice buzzword. But to me it means AMDs upcoming 480 GPU. Which most likely means excellent 1080p performance and graphics and possible 2560x1440 performance (so grand for all those console gamers playing on monitors, unlikely to be supported really) but 4K is still out with any amount of eyecandy and framerate.

But that's PC performance. With more RAM and better CPUs.

Yes 4K gaming at 60fps isn't happening.

MS confirming devs can choose to make exclusive titles or not is big.

New generation indeed.

Yeah Developers being able to make Scorpio only games is big. Different from Sony's profile strategy where only PS4 games can exist.

MS are touting flexibility but this is their way of trying to get a next gen console out early.

Soon or later, someone will be expect a present with a "Xbox Project Scorpio" but it's actually Original Xbox One or Xbox One S. Maybe that's why XB1S is white to distance itself from XB1. Maybe they will goes with green for the XBPS.

Interesting to hear Xbox creator Seamus Blackley being extremely sceptical of this move. He doesn't seem a fan at all.

I'm glad it won't be out till Q4 2017 though, at least that puts a bit more daylight from the console's original launch.

By suggesting they spend £300 every 3-4 years instead of every 7-8?

The Xbox One S (not scorpio) has enahnced CPU/GPU specs over the Xbox One standard. Insert Kaz ceo image here.

Very similarly to a PC *gasp shock* Times are changing. Personally I think the length of the previous was quite long and the current consoles somewhat underwhelming in how much they improved. But with this change to an X86 architecture they can be very similar to PC, and have an OS that builds upon itself to work with better hardware, and without closing off older hardware.

Every few years the GPU side of PCs makes a good change and better graphics are achievable. Not everyone can afford to upgrade BUT they can however still continue to play the majority of games that release on their older hardware. The most the end user does is set the graphics settings lower, something the developer would handle on the Console side of things.

That's how to do away with generations really. Unified OS with a growing but steady API and not gating off games to certain machines based on hardware. They'll still drive their sales as some people always want the best and with time cost always decreases and they can phase out the older hardware.

Or we can all just bitch and bitch and have buyers remorse that our 4 year ago or machine didn't give us 4 years of enjoyment.

Iunno, either hypothetical works for me. I like bitching about stuff.

Interesting to hear Xbox creator Seamus Blackley being extremely sceptical of this move. He doesn't seem a fan at all.

I'm glad it won't be out till Q4 2017 though, at least that puts a bit more daylight from the console's original launch.

Yes because the in the past, the older console wouldn't become forward compatible. We are seeing the end of machines becoming obsolete.

By giving people the option. Instead of forcing people every 5, it might well be just an option every 3. If like PC, it would mean hardware would last much longer, providing you don't want to upgrade.

Makes too much sense for companies, which is why I think it has happened - why risk your millions of PSN/XBL subscribers going elsewhere? The online subscriptions are one of the most steady sources of income for them. The PC architecture adoption means it's also much easier to go with forward compatibility!

By giving people the option. Instead of forcing people every 5, it might well be just an option every 3. If like PC, it would mean hardware would last much longer, providing you don't want to upgrade.

Makes too much sense for companies, which is why I think it has happened - why risk your millions of PSN/XBL subscribers going elsewhere? The online subscriptions are one of the most steady sources of income for them. The PC architecture adoption means it's also much easier to go with forward compatibility!

Say what you will about the Scorpio, I just wouldn't describe it as "a very good thing for the consumer".

I'll be buying a PS4K because I'm weak willed and want the latest tech, and so would have spent £600 this gen, instead of £300.

Also haven't MS said developers CAN make exclusive Scorpio games? Like I said could happen. And developers will very likely WANT to use all the power they can. And this could force Sony to offer the same deal. It's not unfamothable.

I hadn't even registered that. Even if Sony don't follow suit, developers will still have to target one of the consoles to build their game for, and then adapt it for the other one. What a mess.