NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Skyrim Special Edition (PS4/XB1/PC)

Yep. Open world fantasy RPG. Create a character and build a class and jaunt across the countryside killing creatures and doing quests. Similar to Fallout 3/NewVegas/4 and The Witcher.

If you already owns the ES Skyrim and all of it's DLCs or the ES Skyrim Legendary Edition on PC, you get the special edition for free. No reasons to get the Special Edition for the consoles tbh.

If you don't have it, Skyrim Legendary Edition is only £25 on Steam at the moment.

I've been trying to keep up with bethsada statements for Fallout 4 and mods, its been looking this way for a long while, Sony have a cap on mod size that MS do not and thats hindered mods, something sony had been unwilling to change. Bethsada have been quite vocal about the entire debacle and it just seems odd to not allow them, sony are effectively giving the (potentially) better experience to MS and PC without a fight here

Bethesda do a u-turn on mods, coming to PS4 versions of Skyrim first then Fallout 4 later. Also, Skytim is getting a PS4 4k upgrade.

Mind that the PS4 mods is very limited. You have to use in-game assets to make a mod. No Thomas The Tank Engine as Dragons, etc since it's external assets.

Downloading the Special Edition preload on Steam at the moment. I'm actually really looking forward to having an excuse to play through the game again. Still haven't decided what build I'm gonna go with though. Last time it was one hand sword, one hand magic.

I want to delve in to Skyrim again, but i'll hang on a while. Seeing as i'm still plodding through Fallout 4, and have several other games on the go. Can usually only handle 1 big 100+ hour game at a time.

Sorry for the double post

Skyrim patch 1.03 released today, and it seems quite a few people (especially on the PS4) are having issues with the game crashing multiple times, virtually making the game unplayable at the moment.

Got the game this morning. Spent most of the day in Skyrim :D It's quite addictive. Going for a Stealth/Battle Mage (Magic and One-Handed) build. Not sure how viable that is in the long run but I don't care. Stealth, Pickpocketing and Lockpicking is what I always go for in RPGs anyway. This time I wanted to try out some Magic, too.

Have played this for a bit when it first released on PC years ago but never really delved into it. It was during the time I really moved away from PC gaming.

This time I'll finish it :)

Edited by drahkon

In my first playthrough years ago I went with one handed sword and destruction magic in the other. You might get banged up occasionally in battles but its a lot of fun. Just make sure you have a good companion to draw people off.

• Thanks 1

This game constantly reminds me of what BotW is missing: A living world. A world that is inhabited by people, creatures and stories. Yes, Skyrim is a huge world that can feel empty at times but you can stumble upon a quest at any minute. A quest that lets you discover a tragic story of two lovers, or a quest that starts a feud between two factions, or a simple fetch quest.

After I'm done with Skyrim (in about 8 years :D) I'll get back to The Witcher 3. Never finished it but I want to. I'll probably get the GOTY edition.

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

If the PSVR deal is still around next week when I get paid then I'll probably get it just so I can replay Skyrim in VR.

17 hours ago, drahkon said:

This game constantly reminds me of what BotW is missing: A living world. A world that is inhabited by people, creatures and stories.

BotW was a flying leap and bound in the right direction compared to its closest predecessors. I still argue they ran out of time and had to leave the place extremely sparse, but it did have some on the road encounters, a scattering of NPC hubs, and more than one town which is a huge improvement for the series. Going back further, I was extremely disappointed with SS and TP's overworlds because the worlds still felt like abstract platformer worlds, with bottomless pits and tree-walls and zero life beyond a single central village/castle square, not even so much as a postman in a bunny mask. It's what makes me really desperately hope Nintendo will do the only sane thing and build a sequel on the BotW engine immediately, with a focus on density and depth of interaction/life.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Shorty said:

it did have some on the road encounters, a scattering of NPC hubs, and more than one town which is a huge improvement for the series.

Yeah, for the LoZ series. But compared to other series it's miles behind in regards to world building.

14 minutes ago, Shorty said:

It's what makes me really desperately hope Nintendo will do the only sane thing and build a sequel on the BotW engine immediately, with a focus on density and depth of interaction/life.

This is what I hope, too. If they can really populate the world and keep the freedom you have in traversal...only then will they redefine open world gaming. They're sitting on something big. Something that could change a whole genre and I wish they do exactly that.

Anyway, I'm stitting at work...nothing to do right now. Can't wait to get home and jump back into Skyrim :D

Played this for 18 hours now.

There's so much to discover. I came across a cave entrance and thought: "Oh, cool. Probably a small cave with some bandits and loot. Going in".
Two hours later I emerged back to the overworld after exploring a huge Dwarven ruin. It was awesome.

I'm currently doing a questline with a certain brotherhood and it's quite evil. I have to do something big now...

The sidequests are insane. There's so much story behind them (if you decide to invest a couple of minutes). But you can also just do them without paying much attention.

My only criticism so far: The main story isn't very interesting. I've neglected it since hour 3 :laughing:

Crazy to think that this game is 6 years old and Bethesda managed to create such an awesome living world.

Not sure if I go for the Platinum as it's easily a 100+ hour journey. I am, however, focusing on the missable trophies right now just to get them out of the way if I decide to get the Platinum sometime in the future :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are considering going for the platinum, you should finish the Dawnguard dlc before reaching lv 10 as when it fires the vampires could kill important quest givers. And save before Daedric quests.

Also play the story up until where Jarl Balgruuf has you kill a dragon before you ignore the main story.

2 hours ago, Tales said:

If you are considering going for the platinum, you should finish the Dawnguard dlc before reaching lv 10 as when it fires the vampires could kill important quest givers. And save before Daedric quests.

Also play the story up until where Jarl Balgruuf has you kill a dragon before you ignore the main story.

Too late. I'm already level 30 and haven't done anything with the Dawnguard stuff. ::shrug:

But I've decided to not go for the Platinum. I will do sidequests until I've reached the 50h mark and then finish the story. Otherwise I won't play anything else this year. :D

Edited by drahkon

Yeah, i finished the Dawnguard DLC.  I was getting fed up with the random Vampire attacks on NPC's, luckily none were killed that were essential for quest giving.  The Dawnguard DLC was decent, a lot of fun and a good setting.  Last time i was on Skyrim, i also just finished the Mages College questline and was mostly through the Thieves Guild.  I have a week off at Christmas, so between Christmas TV and stuff i'll be playing Skyrim (luckily, Sophie is working so i'll get some uninterrupted gaming before she gets home)

Started the Dawnguard DLC because I found the premise interesting but fuck me being a Vampire sucks. I hate playing as the "Vampire Lord" and the fact that you don't regenerate health/stamina in sunlight sucks.

As soon as I'm done with the DLC I'll look for a way to cure vampirism.

The quests and lore themselves are interesting, though. :)

5 hours ago, drahkon said:

Started the Dawnguard DLC because I found the premise interesting but fuck me being a Vampire sucks. I hate playing as the "Vampire Lord" and the fact that you don't regenerate health/stamina in sunlight sucks.

As soon as I'm done with the DLC I'll look for a way to cure vampirism.

The quests and lore themselves are interesting, though. :)

I went the Dawnguard route, was enjoyable and more interesting the vampire route. 

Spoiler

You have to go to Morthal and talk to Falion.  You'll need a Black Soul Gem, but you can buy one from him.  But, if you catch Vampirism early enough a Cure Potion will suffice.

• Thanks 1