NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Help identifying a bug

And not a computer bug.

Noticed these weird orange & black bugs (beetles?) on my wall outside and I've got no idea what they are. I attached a photo below in case any one can identify them.

IMG_20160608_073338.jpg

Am I already doomed?

I was about to do a Google search, but I'm already familiar with them, they're ladybug larva if I'm not mistaken (the Chinese variant I believe not the chinese ladybug).

Edited by Sméagol

That's what I suspected but wasn't 100% sure based on a vague Google search, I didn't think the images I found matched up (they looked another/spiker). Putting the image into Google told me nothing.

So it's fine to leave them alone?

Depends on if they're bothering you.. My personal philosophy is to leave any kind of creatures alone / put them outside if they're not bothering me (pretty much everything), and murder anything that's out to get me (mosquitos).

They look disgusting now, but they'll turn into ladybugs eventually. According to the internet, they eat smaller insects.

My mum is a garden expert, she says its a larve of some kind, reasonably common. Not harmful.

Looks very much to me like they're baby ladybugs/larvae. I often use the fact to amaze people when they appear on our stuff if I'm in a park.

Not sure how easy it is to identify species from the larvae, and it could be the angle/zoom but that does look slightly differently proportioned to ones I tend to encounter round here(quite a rare encounter, mind).

I'm with Smeagol and letting them be too unless they're being a notable nuisance somehow. I don't believe I'm aware of ladybugs doing any notable damage to useful human things, but again I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Angle's a bit different but may be a 7 spotted larvae from a very quick perusal of the below site;

http://www.ladybuglady.com/ladybugweb9.htm

http://www.ladybuglady.com/7-spotted-larvae.html

EDITEDIT: Said page also has an infestation FAQ! A house near wherever they're appearing may be useful for both them and you :)

http://www.ladybuglady.com/infestation.htm

Edited by Rummy

Pretty sure that's a baby sandworm (Shai-Hulud) and you should invest in armour-piercing weaponry asap.

I heard it will be a Bug/Flying type once it evolved at level 18. Better to catch it for the Bug-Catching Contest.

Edited by DriftKaiser

Nah they're not bothering me, I just had no idea what they are. I cut my grass the other week so that probably flushed them out.

I heard it will be a Bug/Flying type once it evolved at level 18. Better to catch it for the Bug-Catching Contest.

Next gen confirmed! I think this is Ledyba's baby evo.

Most of them seem to have evolved into their cocoon form.

Nah they're not bothering me, I just had no idea what they are. I cut my grass the other week so that probably flushed them out.

Next gen confirmed! I think this is Ledyba's baby evo.

Most of them seem to have evolved into their cocoon form.

Do you have any pictures of them in their cocoons? Are they all nesting together somewhere? I'm a bit of a nerd for stuff like this :geek:

Do you have any pictures of them in their cocoons? Are they all nesting together somewhere? I'm a bit of a nerd for stuff like this :geek:

Usually in groups of 2, there are quite a few on the lower part of the wall which I didn't notice before.

Looks like one of them has hatched/cocoon'd/evolved which was pretty cool.

I took some photos, sorry if they didn't turn out great, I'm not a photographer :p

IMG_20160615_181606.jpg

IMG_20160615_181636.jpg

IMG_20160615_181652.jpg

IMG_20160615_181839.jpg

IMG_20160618_114334.jpg

IMG_20160618_114341.jpg

Edited by Ike

Sign in to follow this