NEurope
Goafer

MadDog Marathon [£1750+ raised!!]

How New Yearish? I get strapped from Xmas and the annual house stuff(Jan/Feb)+winter fuel which is always a bit wank for me until summer basically - but I like the idea and could certainly be tempted!

I think technically next year's Meetup is actually the 10th one too so something a bit special wouldn't go amiss(correct me if I'm wrong @jayseven?) even if it means two meetups for the year!

EDIT: I've totally had to square it up to 1810. Damn you Peeps! I'd definitely like to help out if this gets done again next year btw; I'd be able to run a lot more in the donations from people if I actually get involved too!

Edited by Rummy

Apologies for the bump but I was wondering if there's going to be another MadDog Marathon this year? I know it took a lot of organising for the event at Arcade Club but I was wondering if there would be any streams or fundraising this year, I'd be happy to take part. 

As a weird coincidence the WhatsApp group sprung to life again the other day.

There is not another one this year. We're close to the anniversary of the marathon (November 11th). I've been meaning to try and dig out the date of his passing as the was earlier in the year and thus we're close to two years.

It would be great if people want to carry on the tradition in some capacity, but due to various reasons I wouldn't be able to be as involved as last time. 

• Thanks 1

As Ashley said, we've been discussing things in the group, but I've not had time or money to organise anything. I assume the others have been the same.

It's a shame not to do something, but I don't think we would be able to top last year. The previous Extra Life events we did were getting less and less interest and I'd hate to see the MadDog Marathon do the same. Even at the time, we thought it might be one last event to end on a high.

That said, what an amazing high to end on (if it is indeed the last one I take part in). The support was phenomenal, the venue was perfect and I honestly couldn't imagine how it could have gone better. It would have been nice to have a few more familiar faces show up, but the support we received online more than made up for it. The Extra Life events started with just @flameboy, @Mike1988uk and I just having a laugh in Flameboy's house, never did I think it would end up a full blown charity event in the best gaming venue in the UK.

15003255_10157798993980341_3122931286418

On 10/19/2017 at 1:29 PM, killthenet said:

Apologies for the bump but I was wondering if there's going to be another MadDog Marathon this year? I know it took a lot of organising for the event at Arcade Club but I was wondering if there would be any streams or fundraising this year, I'd be happy to take part. 

Hey, I'd kind of echo peoples thoughts. The Arcade Club was a huge event to coordinate (even for me from afar trying to teach @AshleyOBS, he learnt lol) and would certainly be hard to top. . .

Personally for me it's always been hard since I moved to Canada, I've often found sponsors here hard to come by, even more so with the shift to the Teenage Cancer Trust as people are a bit mythed at their money getting out of the country and not supporting local causes. Mad Dog Marathon really was fantastic. Since I moved here I've taken off work time both sides for setup and recovering, now I can't really do that as easily because of work. 

That's not to say our fundraising efforts should stop and I'd certainly be all for others taking on that mantle of streaming and tying together a weekend of events streaming around the world, I'd even be up for doing some kind of slots in amongst it all. Like @Goafer said ours started just the 3 of us meeting up once to have a laugh at my place. Who'd have thought 7 (8?) years later we'd still be talking about doing them. 

I'm not sure if there is anyone else out there interested in doing some kind of event?

On 20/10/2017 at 12:32 AM, Goafer said:

As Ashley said, we've been discussing things in the group, but I've not had time or money to organise anything. I assume the others have been the same.

It's a shame not to do something, but I don't think we would be able to top last year. The previous Extra Life events we did were getting less and less interest and I'd hate to see the MadDog Marathon do the same. Even at the time, we thought it might be one last event to end on a high.

That said, what an amazing high to end on (if it is indeed the last one I take part in). The support was phenomenal, the venue was perfect and I honestly couldn't imagine how it could have gone better. It would have been nice to have a few more familiar faces show up, but the support we received online more than made up for it. The Extra Life events started with just @flameboy, @Mike1988uk and I just having a laugh in Flameboy's house, never did I think it would end up a full blown charity event in the best gaming venue in the UK.

15003255_10157798993980341_3122931286418

@Goafer I remember it being like a pipe dream. I'm sure it was you that suggested It, 'a event in a village hall or something similar'. 

I would say we topped That!!

On 10/19/2017 at 9:22 PM, Ashley said:

As a weird coincidence the WhatsApp group sprung to life again the other day.

There is not another one this year. We're close to the anniversary of the marathon (November 11th). I've been meaning to try and dig out the date of his passing as the was earlier in the year and thus we're close to two years.

It would be great if people want to carry on the tradition in some capacity, but due to various reasons I wouldn't be able to be as involved as last time. 

If there's an opportunity to do something for the two year anniversary I would definitely be up for it. I appreciate that from an organisational point of view it can be very stressful but I would certainly be interesting in taking part...Perhaps a speed run of Super Mario Odyssey ;)

• Like 1

The anniversary of the marathon is tomorrow (so this time last year we were on our way - and it's a good thing I'm not doing it this year as my back is buggered!) and I have finally checked and Scott passed away on 11th May 2016.

• Thanks 1

I wrote a little something on our Facebook page about the one year anniversary of the marathon here: 

As I said in the post, a huge thank you to everyone that supported us either through donating or taking part in the day itself (including our Canadian contingency!) I am still amazed by what we achieved and it couldn't have happened without all of you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This has been popping up on my Facebook memories thing and It's made me really want to do it again. It was just awesome to be part of.

Alas, not enough time nor money at the moment. Stupid life getting in the way of things.