NEurope
Goafer

MadDog Marathon [£1750+ raised!!]

By the looks of it, it's just a case of registering the event and going from there. Doesn't seem to be much of a need to actually get in touch first, but any help would me much appreciated as I've not done this kind of thing before!

Thinking of maybe setting up a social group for it. It's not something we tend to use, but from what I can recall (we tried it once in the staff area) it would be good for this kind of thing. I'll look into it soon.

Thanks for the offer of the place. I'm thinking I might head to Manchester on Thursday and staying in a hotel but might be useful for some people.

I think t-shirts were on the plan anyway but for the people in the event but maybe we can look into making more and shipping them out for people to wear.

In terms of the hotel...the Premier Inn Bury is probably the closest brand name place;

Premier Inn Manchester Bury, 5 Knowsley Street, Duke Street, Bury BL9 0EJ, United Kingdom

5 minute drive (if that) 15 mins on public transport and about a 20 minute walk. I'm sure there are however bed and breakfasts in that area too.

Depends whether your looking to spend time in Manchester itself or would favour being close to event.

Yeah if the t-shirts can be ordered through one of these sites where you say how many you want there is a deadline for people to order and then it all gets shipped out via them that takes a lot of heavy loading from you. It's almost like a kickstarter for t shirts the name escapes me...That way as well us foreigners can put in...even better if there is a way to add a donation to each t-shirt. I'll try find the site I'm thinking of.

EDIT:

It was teespring I'm thinking of;

https://teespring.com

Here is a running page to show how it works;

https://teespring.com/WEEKENDWEREWOLF2#pid=2&cid=2397&sid=front

Helps it be cheaper, gives a choice of sizes, colours, genders etc.... and the tshirts I've bought from them have been great quality.

Edited by flameboy

Not needing a TV, and being a bit closer, definitely makes things much better for me. Put me down as "very likely".

Cheers Will, that would be much appreciated. Let me know if you have any success and I'll send you my address and you can post it to me.

Looks like at least a few people are willing to help out, if you could PM me your address I'll start getting some stuff sent over.

I've set up a social group which people can join. It's a VBulletin function we've never used (mostly because we're not sure what really makes it that different from a forum unto itself) but it seemed appropriate:

http://n-europe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=3

You should be able to join but let me know if there's any problems.

@Goafer I bastardised your logo for the image but if you want to replace it (needs to be 200 x 200) just add it to the group and I'll change it.

I've put some discussions so far but happy to throw it open and let it grow organically.

Ideally we'd keep similar ideas together and have lots of little discussions rather than one that covers everything. Trying to decide what happens to this thread (stays put and points to the social group, moves over there etc).

For anyone worrying about travelling all that distance for a crappy Arcade...it's really not. I found out about it via a local friend and when Goafer Mike and me went we were spellbound by everything there. Came out feeling like a kid and that the real world was boring by comparison.

When we went back for the meeting there was some new arcade machines as well! One in particular (I forget the name) was very addictive. You draw a gun out of a holster type thing and shoot some targets. The last one is a 'cup' awesome.

The owner mentioned he is looking at getting space downstairs to open up something further. Also wasn't as hot as the first time we went as he has got some big fans around the place.

@Ashley it isn't letting me join the group on your link above... Saying I don't have permission.

Edited by Mike1988uk

@Ashley it isn't letting me join the group on your link above... Saying I don't have permission.

Just made a change, try again?

Seems we never switched it on for users. Mind trying again?

Think I've also ensured people should be able to post once in but shout if not.

Seems Shorty and I are one...

Also added a link as a subforum in the General Chit Chat forum to make it easy to find.

Edited by Ashley

@Shorty @Ashley it's still not working I'm afraid. I've tried the link in here and on the sub one on general chat. It gives me the same message and logs me out.

@Ashley @Shorty cancel that! It worked after my fourth attempt...

I'd need to look at travel/accommodation prices etc but I'd be keen on attending and helping out on the staffing side if useful. I'm apparently an old and tired man so not sure I'll commit fully to a 24hr gaming sesh(would still come up for the time itself) but really wouldn't mind be involved in any way I can given the cause.

I think midday to midday 24 hours is going to be rough anyway.

I shall do my best cheerleader/drill sergeant to keep you guys awake.

And all the caffeine and sugar in the world.

24 hours of Melee, @Zell?

They had Smash Bros up and running there. Cannot for life of me remember which version.

Got kind of sidetracked in the last week because...well.

But I intend to write to Scott's mother tomorrow with an update on our plans and a draft of what we want to put on the site for her approval. Also sending it to Arcade Club for their say on the section about them.

Will has gotten us some Sega swag which I've posted about in the social group and once the site part is live I'll start trying to get more.

Just a reminder that we'll love more people to get involved in any way that they can. Details in the social group.

Thanks for your help so far everyone!

I sent the article draft you sent me to Arcade Club last night, along with the first proof of the banner.

I may also have gotten sidetracked/lazy...

But I intend to write to Scott's mother tomorrow with an update on our plans and a draft of what we want to put on the site for her approval. Also sending it to Arcade Club for their say on the section about them.

Will has gotten us some Sega swag which I've posted about in the social group and once the site part is live I'll start trying to get more.

Just a reminder that we'll love more people to get involved in any way that they can. Details in the social group.

I sent the article draft you sent me to Arcade Club last night, along with the first proof of the banner.

Well I think we still have time and a headstart allows for people getting sucked into day to day life.

Well I think we still have time and a headstart allows for people getting sucked into day to day life.

First proof of the event shirts. Obviously, there will be versions for Arcade Club Staff and Event Assistants, but you get the idea:

Combined.jpg

The design may change, depending on feedback from here and Arcade Club.

First proof of the event shirts. Obviously, there will be versions for Arcade Club Staff and Event Assistants, but you get the idea:

Combined.jpg

Mockup for the pull up banners that we'll have at Arcade Club in the lead up to the event:

Pull%20Up%20Banner%20Mockup.jpg

The design may change based on Andy's feedback or any feedback on here.

Combined.jpg

VERY VERY NICE! Any chance there can be a second version with something else on front for those not coming...I'm also wondering if that is a revenue stream to raise money? Using Teespring to sell them and our "cut" of the money is pushed back into the justgiving account?

Also having the banners up before the event is a cracking idea.

Banners are made. Just waiting for the frames to arrive for the pop up banners (the portrait oriented ones):

2016-09-09%2017.24.37.jpg

I know it's been a bit quiet recently but Goafer and I are going to the club next weekend (Arcade Club, then da club) to see Andy again and sort out some details.

Also going to be posting it on the site and pushing it soon now that we're two months out.

Banner frames arrived today:

14324368_10157502386195341_1779362583298705310_o.jpg

Ashley and I will be taking them up to Arcade Club this weekend and hopefully be putting them up to gain interest in the event. We could still do with help from all you guys, so if anyone wants to volunteer, it would be much appreciated. It doesn't even have to be for the full 24 hours, we could still do with people collecting money and helping out for short shifts. The Arcade itself will only be open for 6 hours on the Friday night and we'll only be playing for an hour during the Saturday open times. We may not even need people for the Saturday, it depends on how busy Andy thinks it will be during the final hour.

I'm probably going to look into a hotel room at some point. Depending on how many people we have, I may book a bigger room to accommodate a few more people. A bill shared is a bill halved and all that.