NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Boss Keys - Zelda dungeon video analysis

New page for a brand new edition of BOSS KEYS 

A really enjoyable video overall as it explains Super Metroid in such a concise way. :smile:

(obviously only watch these videos if you've beaten the games before, in some ways though... it can be used as a walkthrough at times)

I can't wait for the next edition! :D

• Like 2

It's not a Boss Keys video but Mark Brown has written THIS fantastic article about Nintendo and the lack of accessibility in their games for gamers with disabilities. It's well worth a read.

• Thanks 2

Seeing as @Dcubed chose to post  a reply in the Era thread but not throw the video on here ( I'm watching you! ) I suppose I'll do it myself.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Fairly good analysis. Me and him don't seem to agree on which parts are intuitive or unintuitive (I think the half-pipe is the most obtuse part of the game, but I guess he found it acceptable), and I'm perfectly okay with Magmoor Caverns being a frequent visit (I did think of it as a "hub" of sorts), but I think the core of his argument is pretty accurate.

My main criticism of this video is the fact that he barely mentioned the scans. It's a huge part of the exploration (since players need to know which explosives break what), and it fundamentally changes how the player perceives and navigates the world, especially when compared with the 2D games he's been reviewing.

Also, I should say something about his SotN video, since I haven't commented on it yet: I think it might be his worst one yet. The way he describes progression feels like a speedrunner, or a player hurriedly checking a FAQ to progress quickly (as opposed to someone who'll check every loose end of the map when unsure of where to go). Plus, he dismissed the smaller collectable items (the equipment, the HP Up potions, etc.) as unimportant, when finding them is a big part of why Metroidvania maps are so fun to explore. Throughout the entire video, I just had the impression he didn't quite "get" why Metroidvanias are fun, which was odd, considering his Metroid videos have been going so much better.

Edited by Jonnas

I gave that a watch last week. I love King K's deep dives into Nintendo games.

It's a great video and it really made me think that maybe I need to revisit both of these games. I always thought Spirit Tracks was the better of the two games but he does make some compelling points in favour of Phantom Hourglass. It's been a long time since I played either of them and my opinion may change after another playthrough. 

It seems Mark Brown has decided to revisit the topic of Zelda dungeons!

I didn't know about Eiji Aonuma's interest in mechanical puppets. I can see how that would help in visualising the connection between the "small" puzzles, and the larger picture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not his best video - I get that he tries to draw out rules for game makers in every video, but that felt a little undercooked here. However his main point does resonate - there's nothing quite like a Zelda dungeon. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Not his best video - I get that he tries to draw out rules for game makers in every video, but that felt a little undercooked here. However his main point does resonate - there's nothing quite like a Zelda dungeon. 

Agreed, this could've either been a bit shorter, or at least some alternative footage. It almost felt like it was a video all about the water temple.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this