NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The perfect video game?

Obviously for us gamers, there's one thing universally on our minds: E3, and, rather, new game announcements and presentations, as well as all of the latest information on the coming year for gaming in general (minus, you know, the NX).

Now, we've all seen a few games we're going to be hearing more about next week, which will leave us in one of three states: absolutely excited, not caring at all, or terrifyingly let down; the games just never seem to live up to the billing.

So, I thought I'd ask a hypothetical question: what would your perfect video game be? Would it be a new IP, or branch off from an existing franchise? Would it be console exclusive? FPS, or adventure game, or both? MMO or single player campaign? What frame rate would it run at? What would be the purpose of the game? Would it be for present day consoles, or a hypothetical future one?

What would your (subjectively) perfect video game be?

Super Mario 3D World is as close to a perfect 3D platformer as you can get IMO, so I'd like to see a follow up to that.

Level after level of expertly designed, beautifully executed obstacle courses. Gorgeous visuals, great music, and an unbelievable amount of polish and detail.

People may prefer exploration style games like Galaxy and that's fine, I'm not comparing the two, I just think from a gameplay point of view the 3D Land/World games are basically perfect and to get another entry would make my E3.

I haven't played No Man's Sky yet, but it's the game I've always wanted. If it plays anything like how it seems to.. then that.

I love narrative driven games but I also love games where you create the story, so like Minecraft, in a way. Limitless, esepcially if you have an imagination.

I don't think I could pinpoint a single perfect game for myself. My gaming tastes are quite varied and depending on what mood i'm in effects what type of game I want to play.

I suppose some of my best gaming memories in recent years have been playing online co-op with people, as well as the game also offering a single player side that allows me to enjoy it by myself. Going by what i've said above, I would probably go with a PS4 version of Monster Hunter .

Monster Hunter is a series I have spent an INSANE amount of hours on. I always look forward to the next installment and it's one of the few games that I use holidays for just to play it.

In recent years the game has left the console space and became a handheld only game, much to my disappointment. While the Wii U did have a console port, the shoddy voice chat and clunky online setup wasn't the best experience. Acceptable but not the best.

If a version was made for the PS4, from the ground up, with all of the online features the console brings to the table, then this would make me insanely happy. Hell, i'd probably take a HD port of generations at the point. :D

Single player:

Ocarina of Time

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

Metroid Prime

Multiplayer:

Battlefield 2 Modern Combat

Battlefield 4

CoD 4

CoD Black Ops

MH3U

Like @Hero\-of\-Time, I would absolutely LOVE a PS4 Monster Hunter game!

I feel like a few people are missing the point of the thread :p I'ts not to list your favourite games, but to talk about what would make a perfect game for you.

My perfect game would be Destiny if it had been made the way it was meant to be made. If it had 10x the budget and time put into it. I already sunk so much time into that game, had so much fun, so many amazing co-op online memories, and that's despite accepting that the game is flawed and couldn't meet its own ambitions. I can't imagine how good it would've been if it had the depth it was meant to.

Super Mario 3D World is as close to a perfect 3D platformer as you can get IMO, so I'd like to see a follow up to that.

I can't imagine thinking SM3DW is better than Super Mario 64! The latter was just so huge, so deep, so involving, so well designed, so immersive. I had a truckload of fun playing through SM3DW. Once, with another person. I wouldn't play it alone and I wouldn't play it again.

I'd say Banjo-Kazooie comes close. It's just incredibly fun to play, is extremely charming and is just the right length for replays. It probably helps that the genre doesn't seem like its evolved since then, too.

So if you took the gameplay from that and updated it for modern times, it would probably be amazing. A bit more difficult platforming would help, too.

Also, Mass Effect with the gameplay form the latter two but with much more focus on exploration and stuff like the first.

A huge RPG (setting doesn't really matter) with a Diablo-style loot system, deeper The Witcher 3-style combat and the scope of The Witcher 3.

And what @Shorty said about Destiny. The game has so much potential...I hope the second installment will be everything I wanted from Destiny.

I feel like a few people are missing the point of the thread :p I'ts not to list your favourite games, but to talk about what would make a perfect game for you...

Erm... I guess something akin to those I listed. They're not necessarily my favourite games, but rather for each of them I think they do what they do perfectly.

But I'll give it a go:

I'd love a Monster Hunter game a little different to how the others have been, it'd be almost open-world.

I'm imagining a huge open landscape, with various different terrains like they have in the MH games. The monsters live within the landscape, all able to free-roam within it, but they do tend to stay in their natural habitats.

You can each use carts to traverse the environment. These carts are both transport and a stockpile, where you keep all your weapons/items etc, and together they double as a mobile camp for when you're on hunts.

There are walled towns dotted around, which act as the hubs where you can get missions (you can get more than one at a time), buy/trade/forge and do all the other MH stuff that you do between missions" as well as stock up your cart for when you're on the road.

As its open-world you can free-hunt, but you won't get any rewards other than carves/drops for free-hunting as you're not in a mission, so it doesn't effect Hunter Rank or money.

On hunts, with it being open world, you run a risk of other monsters getting involved, like in the other games, but as there aren't "areas" and it's an open world, you can't just move to a different area to be free of the beast... so dung bombs are more important than ever!

I'm sure I'll think of other things too but I'm in work and typing this out on the sly over time so I'll come back to it.

That's it for now.

Edited by Kav

I'd love a Monster Hunter game a little different to how the others have been, it'd be almost open-world.

I'm imagining a huge open landscape, with various different terrains like they have in the MH games. The monsters live within the landscape, all able to free-roam within it, but they do tend to stay in their natural habitats.

I rented Monster Hunter 3 Tri at random. This is what I thought the game was like. I was amazed when I got out of the village, as you see a huge lake and impressive landscape.

Then I walked down towards it...and it transitioned to a different area.

I can't imagine thinking SM3DW is better than Super Mario 64! The latter was just so huge, so deep, so involving, so well designed, so immersive. I had a truckload of fun playing through SM3DW. Once, with another person. I wouldn't play it alone and I wouldn't play it again.

"Huge"? There was 15 stages in Mario 64, and 117 in 3D World.

"Deep and involving"? I think that's nostalgia talking. By modern standards the level design really doesn't hold up either, unlike 3D World.

Don't get me wrong, Mario 64 is obviously one of the all time classics, and certainly one of the most important and influential video games ever made, but it's far from "perfect" which is the point of this discussion. Taking nostalgia out of the equation, when I think of a perfect 3D platformer, 3D World nails it IMO. Better level variety, better camera, beautiful visuals, top notch gameplay.

"Deep and involving"? I think that's nostalgia talking. By modern standards the level design really doesn't hold up either, unlike 3D World.

Don't get me wrong, Mario 64 is obviously one of the all time classics, and certainly one of the most important and influential video games ever made, but it's far from "perfect" which is the point of this discussion. Taking nostalgia out of the equation, when I think of a perfect 3D platformer, 3D World nails it IMO. Better level variety, better camera, beautiful visuals, top notch gameplay.

By 'deep and involving' he is clearly referring to the gameplay design, which is year's beyond SM3DW. The use of a full physics and momentum engine makes the game fantastic. Of course SM3DW has better game design...It came out 17 years later!

Apparently the first six months of SM64's developement involved Miyamoto focusing solely on making Mario 'fun' to control. He would get Mario to chase a rabbit (the one in the basement).

SM3DW has expcetional level design - by far the best of any Mario game bar none. I probably won't play it again however because the gameplay is just so slow and limited. Hopefully a blend of the two going forward will get people buying Nintendo system's again.

Pokemon X Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter gameplay, but you fight Pokemon instead. Preferably as smaller, less imposing Pokemon (One of those playable Pokemon would have to be Kecleon, seeing as it's my perfect game)

Granted it plays like how I imagine, that would be my perfect game. The clash of my childhood gaming and my modern day love for Monster Hunter could actually kill me from sheer excitement, or at the very least give me a migrane. It'd have to be pretty difficult as well, no simplifying it because it's Pokemon.

It'll never happen, I imagine Capcom would be all over it, but the Pokemon Company would never give it the go-ahead. The closest we've gotten are the PokePark games, but the battles in that are WAY simpler than what I would want.

Pokepark 2 is still a pretty good game though.

oshawottkrookodilebattle.jpg

An open world Pokemon game would be fantastic.

Other than that, some sort of VR version of an open world game, perhaps with a magic system, where you can just wander around and do whatever you want. Basically a holodeck. That would be grand.

An open world Pokemon game would be fantastic.
What do you mean by open world? In what way do current Pokemon games not fit this schematic?

What do you mean by open world? In what way do current Pokemon games not fit this schematic?

Glad I'm not the only one who always gets confused by that statement.

Because Pokemon games have pretty open worlds last time I checked.

Edited by Glen-i

Yeah sorry, I was typing quickly at work.

I meant a fully realistic 3D world to explore, with NPCs to interact with, weather, seasons, environments, and the freedom to do whatever you chose, such as being a photographer, trainer, etc.

Yeah sorry, I was typing quickly at work.

I meant a fully realistic 3D world to explore, with NPCs to interact with, weather, seasons, environments, and the freedom to do whatever you chose, such as being a photographer, trainer, etc.

Now I'm confused by the word "realistic". Do you mean visually?

I remember saying something similar to this when that Unreal Engine Pokemon video showed up, but I think Pokemon themselves look terrible in a realistic setting.

I also find it interesting that apart from the 3D and the choice of career, you basically described features in the 5th generation games.

That said, I do realise the pointlessness of picking this apart given the topic of this thread. Just throwing in my thoughts.

I doubt bob meant visually realistic, more just representative of a sprawling, believable/habitable world.

Once upon a time that might've described my perfect game, too. But these days, ain't nobody got time for that...

It's difficult to know what the perfect video game would be but I can certainly describe my current dream scenario :grin:

I've mentioned the idea before but I'd love a Mii game set on Wuhu Island that acts as a massive hub area on NX that evolves over the years with additional activities and content :hehe:

I'm definitely not saying that you would need to navigate this hub world in order to access simple functions such as starting up other software but it could be an amazing place to explore alone or with friends over the internet.. with voice chat, of course ;)

Wuhu island would be this huge area for you to navigate freely as your Mii, be it on foot or in a variety of vehicles such as bicycles, go karts, jet skis, aeroplanes, hang gliders, scramblers or even a skateboard! There'd be events and attractions all over the island such as places to race, play tennis, bowling, golf, fly or even some platforming to reach certain parts of the island in order to obtain stars to spend on customising your Mii.

Nintendo would even provide weekly challenges for you to compete with friends in certain events. For example, one week you may have an archery or a frisbee competition down at the beach or various Pilotwings-style challenges from the top of the volcano or wherever else :smile:

The range of activites would increase over time and be full games within themselves that could be bought and played seperately but also accessible from Wuhu Island and all can be accessed seamlessly without the need to change discs (or cartridges :heh:)

Having such a large playground with so many things to see and do alone and with friends featuring an abundance of great activities based on games from Nintendo's huge catalogue such as Wii Sports, Excitebike, Wave Race, 1080, Super Mario, Splatoon and Pilotwings would surely be AMAZING :bouncy: The voice chat would make it extremely easy to arrange things to do with friends, be it to play an entirely different game together or go exploring Wuhu Island in the hunt for stars, finding secret areas or playing one of the many games available that would increase over time.

There would be a ridiculous amount of fun to be had :yay:

Think about it. What does that suggest about which one might have had the feeling of being huge, and which had the feeling of bitesize levels?

Think about it. What does that suggest about which one might have had the feeling of being huge, and which had the feeling of bitesize levels?

Most of the Mario 64 levels were the size of 3D World levels!

Whomp

246947-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-screenshot-flying-in-lethal-lava.jpg

13_Tiny_Huge_Island.png

Nostalgia is a powerful, misleading, thing

SM64 levels let you go in almost every direction, and fly, so yeah, I'd argue they felt a lot bigger (not sure what your screenshots show...as you could show zoomed out images of any level from any game). SM3DW was 2.5D in the sense that there was usually a single (narrow) direction you moved in with a few offshoots. With a few exceptions, where the levels were more open like SM64 (but still somehow felt smaller/had less stuff to do in them).

2 different games with 2 different styles of levels, but really they have been doing the bitesize deal since Galaxy and I would like to see another game with levels in the 64 style. Obviously in today's world the levels could be even bigger than in SM64... but you get the picture. It's the 'open feel' of SM64 that I want them to take on!

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah ok then, 3D World is still a lot more of a "huge" game than 64, which was the point. You can 100% 64 in an hour and a half

Yeah ok then, 3D World is still a lot more of a "huge" game than 64, which was the point. You can 100% 64 in an hour and a half

What an odd point. What does clear time have to do with anything?

Mario 64 has levels that feel comparatively huge because of the open aspect of the levels and the scale in relation to Mario; there are examples of these types of levels in NSM3DW but they are the exception rather than the norm:

sm3dwguide195.png

You are right that games have got bigger since, and that the 'feeling at the time' probably made it seem even bigger back then than now. That said, when speaking about Mario 64 feeling huge, I do not believe this is a question of which game takes longer to beat, or which has more levels. Rather, there is a distinct 'style' to most of the Mario 64 levels in that they feel like a big open level rather than almost a guided series of platforms along an axis. In my opinion, both Galaxy and SM3DW have been more bitesize like that - which is why I would like to see a return to the open style levels next time around.

Edited by Sheikah

Sign in to follow this