NEurope
drahkon

Final Fantasy XII Remaster (PS4 - 2017)

Square Enix made the announcement via its YouTube channel, releasing a brief trailer that shows the makeover in the works for the 2006 PlayStation 2 game. Excitingly, it seems the Final Fantasy 12 remaster will be taking its cues from the International Edition of the game which never saw release outside of Japan, introducing tweaked combat and a new Zodiac job system.

There's no mention of platforms outside of the PS4 (and we'll likely have to give up on our hopes of a Vita version), and Square's yet to make an announcement beyond the video itself.

Eurogamer.net

:bouncy: YES!

Never played it originally so I'll be interested to give it a try. Might just wait for the inevitable PC version though.

Awesome :D Been waiting for this a long time. I just hope it's January 2017 they meant...

FINALLY! :yay:

I've been waiting for this FF to get a remaster for ages. I have it on the PS2 but there's been rumours for years that it was getting the HD treatment, so I never bothered playing it.

Never finished the ps2 version. Still haunted me how you could lock yourself out of getting the strongest weapon in the game by not completing a certain action within the first hour or so of the game (maybe slight exaggeration). Very frustrating.

FUCK YEAH.

Played the shit out of this before but never finished it and couldn't really get back into it with my current means. Picking it up on PS4 will be perfect.

Never finished the ps2 version. Still haunted me how you could lock yourself out of getting the strongest weapon in the game by not completing a certain action within the first hour or so of the game (maybe slight exaggeration). Very frustrating.

I don't recall all the details but it's something silly like not opening certain chests early on.

I don't even think there is a clue. It's just a huge fuck you move for not using a guide basically. Even Drakengard didn't do something that dickish...though Nier does. I'm on a tangent.

Probably my least favourite Final Fantasy game, I certainly won't be picking this up any time soon. A complete let down after FFX in terms of engaging character development, party interaction, world building and compelling story. Honestly did not give a fuck whether most of the characters lived or died.

Interestingly it often goes down well with people not typically into the more popular FF games. I completely agree with those judgements made at the time that this was in many ways like a retooled FFXI - MMORPG-like dungeon design and battles, albeit with NPCs.

I don't recall all the details but it's something silly like not opening certain chests early on.

I don't even think there is a clue. It's just a huge fuck you move for not using a guide basically. Even Drakengard didn't do something that dickish...though Nier does. I'm on a tangent.

Yeah, it's completely ridiculous. Don't open any chests until a certain point.

Edited by Sheikah

Contrasting with the above, it's by far my favourite Final Fantasy post 6. Been waiting for this a long time.

I would argue that X has a terrible world and awful character development. Party interactions do happen more frequently though and are made to have more of an impact. XII certainly didn't have great party characters and zilch on development as well. The overall world I found to be far better and more interesting.

Gameplay wise I think they're both pretty good for different reasons though I think XII has more to do. Or more that I find interest in perhaps.

Probably my least favourite Final Fantasy game, I certainly won't be picking this up any time soon. A complete let down after FFX in terms of engaging character development, party interaction, world building and compelling story. Honestly did not give a fuck whether most of the characters lived or died.

This is probably the main criticism i've heard about the game over he years. A big reason why I play and enjoy JRPGs is due to the characters and story. A mate of mine played through XII back in the day ( he loves VIII & X ) and didn't really care for it. He said the story may as well not have been there.

Given the development hell the game went through, it's not surprising that the storyand characters turned out to be a bit of a mess. Still, i'm willing to give it a go and see what the deal is with the game.

I've never played it either so will be looking to pick it up. Although comments that the lack of story and character development does put me off. For me, those are one of the main features of a RPG.

I never had any issues with the story or the characters. From what I can remember I thought they were great, easily one my favourite FFs.

I must be weird because I liked all the FFs. Save for 13. Really dislike most of the characters there.

I wonder if this one will get even more gameplay tweaks as it does have a subtitle which I don't recall being, even on the version that didn't get released over here.

Yeah, I really couldn't get into this after X, partly due to the battle system and seemingly lifeless/indistinguished characters. But I may be enticed to try again with a pretty remake. Hoping FF8 gets a remake.

I would argue that X has a terrible world and awful character development. Party interactions do happen more frequently though and are made to have more of an impact. XII certainly didn't have great party characters and zilch on development as well. The overall world I found to be far better and more interesting.

Gameplay wise I think they're both pretty good for different reasons though I think XII has more to do. Or more that I find interest in perhaps.

FFX has pretty well-realised world development. Sure, you can criticise the story (because it is cheesy) but the world is actually crafted rather than thrown together. You can tell time and attention has been put into making things all gel together pretty well like the prevailing religion, outfits, accents, art style, races, animals and enemies...the result is something that has soul. There was very little of that in XII, at least from my perspective. It felt like it passed me by...maybe because of the complicated development schedule it never matetialised. And genuinely, I don't remember some party characters talking to other party characters at all. It felt pretty bad in that respect. The main deal for me in FF games is the characters, and they just didn't feel fleshed out to me.

One thing that I didn't like in XII was the gambit system. It was essentially a method of letting the game near enough run itself. Then there were endgame bosses that could take an hour or more to tackle - I felt like someone just managing inventory use while gambits took care of most of it. There were also many dungeons that dragged on over multiple floors and generally had very little to do other than floor the boss at the end to trigger a cutscene. It felt awkward.

Don't get me wrong, there is no doubt fun to be had in this game. Hero, I could see you enjoying this as there is a lot to do (tons of side quests and map to explore, and a level up system a bit similar to FFX's). If this had been an FF spin off it could have even been its own thing. I just don't think it does what I want in an FF game.

Edited by Sheikah

Info on new features

•based on FINAL FANTASY XII INTERNATIONAL ZODIAC JOB SYSTEM

•Background, character model, fonts and all 2D parts are higher resolution

•Movie scenes are higher resolution

•Uses current-gen graphics tech

•7.1 surround sound

•higher quality audio

•Japanese and English voice

•Option between original BGM and newly recorded BGM

•shorter loading time

•auto-save feature

•turbo mode

Source

Would of been 100% sold on 60fps. As it is you can get most of these features and more through emulation...

Well its a bitter sweet reveal, i wanted a vita version, but looks like in 2017 i'll be once again relegating Vaan to the unused character slot as soon as possible

The game may be arriving sooner rather than later. The trophy list has just popped up on Exophase.

I'm expecting this to get a release date next week. S-E are having a Final Fantasy 30th anniversary event on Tuesday, so no doubt it will show up there.

The game may be arriving sooner rather than later. The trophy list has just popped up on Exophase.

I'm expecting this to get a release date next week. S-E are having a Final Fantasy 30th anniversary event on Tuesday, so no doubt it will show up there.

PS+ game confirmed........:)

Everyone on gaf thought it was going to be a stealth release when they discovered it had gone gold or some shit + the 'BIG' announcements and thought "oh shit its gonna be soon"

I feel into that trap too, July is a loooooong way off for me (and i still want a Vita version)