NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

JohnO'Groats to LandsEnd Charity walk - OCDwalk

Hey everyone,

So this weekend I am flying up to Inverness and then on to John O'Groats, to begin next week, what's probably going to be a 3 month+ walk from North to South, in order to raise awareness and change the way people think about OCD - As well as offering support to those suffering from it.

It's something that has defined my life for over a decade now. December 2014 and on into 2015 was the worst time of my life; things got so bad I was living in absolute fear - I realised that I couldn't cope anymore. It was only through CBT therapy that I finally realised the true extent of OCD, intrusive thoughts and what I'd been suffering from all these years. OCD still effects me every day, but at least I understand what I'm dealing with now, and in time I hope things will get better.

I've also setup a website: http://www.ocdwalk.com

Not gonna lie, I'm scared about the months ahead. Not only talking about OCD, but the challenge too. I've never done anything like this before, I've not even camped before really; I'm expecting a lot of physical pain in my feet and my back under the weight of my pack. But I am determined to do this.

I just thought I'd post here, because it would be great if you could help me get the word out; even just posting the YouTube video, or web links on social media (I don't have much of a presence on Facebook), or perhaps you know someone in the press/media who might like to report on the walk and why I'm doing this.

Spreading the word is the most important thing, in order to change peoples perception and to show those who might be suffering in silence - or not even know it! - that there are others going through the same thing and that there is help available.

I'm walking for OCDaction, Mind and OCD-UK. You can sponsor the walk here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/OCDwalk

I'm encouraging people to come and join me on the walk, for as little or as long as they'd like to. Any of you guys are welcome to join me! You can take my mind off things and tell me about E3 :p

Also, if anyone might happen to have a sofa or a floor for me to crash on along the way... It would be much appreciated! Send me a DM or drop me a message through http://www.ocdwalk.com or on social media.

Thank you in advance for anything you are able to do to get the word out.

Cheers guys!

p.s. Nintendo knew I'd be missing their press conference so cancelled their E3.

Edited by Retro_Link

I think what you're doing is awesome and I was honestly very moved reading about your experiences and watching your video - going through all of that for so long must be extremely difficult. Mental health is something society needs to be far more open about and the more awareness raised and discussion channels opened the better.

If I can think of any way to promote this or mention it to someone who can, I definitely will!

Best of luck on this, please keep us updated on how it's going.

@Retro_Link I think this is an amazing task you're taking on! :D

Also, in the process you'll be coming to Cornwall where I live so... three months plus, see you in September? :)

I actually have a week off starting 19th of September so there's a chance I could maybe join you for part of your journey or at the very least we could meet up if you feel like it? Will you be sticking around in Cornwall for a bit once you arrive?

Either way this is really excellent, good on you for raising some awareness, I've had OCD for as long as I can remember now in addition to other conditions, I'm Asperger's too so I can appreciate the daily struggle... :(

Keep us updated though and as you get closer to Cornwall, do let me know as it would be amazing to meet up, I'll support you in any way I can. : peace:

Thanks guys. Yep, I'll keep you all updated as and when I can. You'll be able to follow my progress on twitter @ocdwalk, if you're on it.

@S\.C\.G I'd be more than happy to meet up when I get to Cornwall. It's hard to know when that will be as yet - whilst I pretty much know my route, in terms of where I'll be day-to-day I've so far worked that out as far as Glasgow. But once I've worked it out, or as it approaches I'll let you know. Man... Cornwall!

I've also made a little A5 flier, that could be printed out and pinned up anywhere it might prove useful. Work, Uni, Doctors notice boards, mental health support groups etc... https://ocdwalk.com/join-me/fundraising-material/

Edited by Retro_Link

This is really awesome man! I suffer from pretty severe anxiety and agoraphobia, so I can relate to how tough it can be and think this is a great way of raising money and awareness of OCD and other mental health issues.

How are you planning to get by financially? I guess you won't be spending a lot of money if you're pitching a tent or crashing on other peoples sofas, but I'm just interested to know what you're doing.

This is really awesome man! I suffer from pretty severe anxiety and agoraphobia, so I can relate to how tough it can be and think this is a great way of raising money and awareness of OCD and other mental health issues.

How are you planning to get by financially? I guess you won't be spending a lot of money if you're pitching a tent or crashing on other peoples sofas, but I'm just interested to know what you're doing.

Thanks! hopefully! :)

Yeah, I'm going to be trying to spend as little as possible, but it's still going to cost me quite a lot of money. Campsites tend to be around £7-£10 a night - yes I could wild camp, and maybe on occasion I will... but there's something to be said about being around and talking to other people, using the showers, and picking up camping tips. So yeah, that x90+ days.

Plus there's the food situation. Whilst I can try and eat fairly basic food and I'll be cooking on a stove as and when, I'm also going to need a lot of calories (and weight does not come easy to me!), so I'm going to have to not be afraid to spend money and eat in pubs/get fish & chips etc... because I'm going to need it.

When you think of doing a charity walk, I think initially you think it'll be cheap, or that you'll get help i.e. free tent pitches etc... but turns out you don't, as these places wouldn't be able to run a business. It's going to cost me... but I'll just have to go with it and recoup that money afterwards. Hopefully it'll all be worth it.

Edited by Retro_Link

“Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.”

All the best for this, Retro. icon14.gif

All the best, @Retro_Link.

Great video, too. Very to the point and it actually is a pet-hate of mine to hear people throw around the term "OCD" without really understanding what it is, so I get that. The very best of luck for you on this journey and I can't imagine how you'll feel when you finally reach your destination.

This sounds great. Doing something like this is on my bucket list, so I'm a little jealous.

Awesome stuff this, how's it going @Retro_Link? Keep us updated. Keep tweeting your pics etc!

What's the rough idea of your route? I might take a ride out on my bike to meet you when you get close to my bit of the country :)

I had a friend in school with mild OCD and it always bugged me to hear people casually throw around "I'm a little bit OCD"

This is a great cause Tom and you should be proud of yourself for taking on the challenge. Your video was very moving and I agree that OCD is veyr misunderstood.

I'm routing for you all the way and I'll do my best to share/support your adventure. Do keep us all updated.

Awesome stuff this, how's it going @Retro_Link? Keep us updated. Keep tweeting your pics etc!

What's the rough idea of your route? I might take a ride out on my bike to meet you when you get close to my bit of the country :)

I had a friend in school with mild OCD and it always bugged me to hear people casually throw around "I'm a little bit OCD"

I'd be up for this too! Let me know if you're going anywhere near Nottingham.

Hey guys! Thank you for the support you guys have given so far. Really does mean a lot.

Today has left my feet in so much pain... Blisters on my feet where I didn't even know you could get them. That's what 16miles of road walking will do to you I guess. I can't even fathom a longer distance tomorrow, but I'll push through the pain. Cannot wait until I reach Inverness and can get on some walking trials, but that's a week off yet.

In terms of a rough route, where I can I'll be taking trails. Great Glen Way, West highland Way, Cumbrian way, Welsh coastal path, Offa's dyke, Cotswold Way, South west coastal path. It those run through anyone's neck of the woods let me know. Also passing Glasgow, Blackpool, Liverpool, Bristol... Many more. If anyone wants to come and climb one of the Three Peaks too it'd be great to have you.

Check my Twitter and Instagram @OCDwalk for updates and pics.

Cheers guys!

@Hero\-of\-Time Cheers man.

Edited by Retro_Link

Welsh coastal path is not far from @Cube and I did mention paying him a visit at some point :p And I wanted to go to Wales this summer anyway. I'll PM you about it!

What you're doing sounds amazing and I wish you the best of luck with it - I'd definitely try to meet up when you reach North Wales.

@Shorty @Cube sounds great guys. Remind me nearer the time/on Twitter too, be good to have you along.

That's actually just after one of the trickiest parts, getting from the end of my route through Cumbria down to the North Wales Coastal path. Don't know if anyone has any advice for around the Blackpool/Liverpool area? that isn't just road walking?

Thanks for the continued support guys. You can follow my progress on Twitter and Instagram @ocdwalk. Please share the video and website http://www.ocdwalk.com by any means you know how.

I've made it to Inverness. Next up is the walk to Ben Nevis.

This is such an awesome thing you're doing, dude. Awesome stuff. Talking from someone with OCD, this is an amazing thing you're doing. More awareness of mental health like OCD needs to be raised. Good luck with the rest of the journey! :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

@Animal spread the word, need all the help I can get. And Birmingham... Come join us in North Wales. We can all tackle Snowdon ;)

This last week has been the most painful thing I've ever done in my life, physically and then mentally to get through that pain; but should be my last day of road walking tomorrow, and then the softer ground should help - where there's been a grass verge it's been better. Tomorrow/today infact - Onwards to Ben Nevis!

Dude what you are doing is incredible.

I don't know if you have any idea of timing yet but you have to let me know when you'll be around Bristol and I'll come out and meet you/walk with you for a day.

How much of the South West Coast Path will you be doing? I've walked a bit of it when I was studying in Plymouth and it's beautiful, unfortunately I did it in November but August (which is when I'm guessing you'll be there) will hopefully be nice and sunny! If I can I'd love to join you for a few days/a week starting from Plymouth.

The whole family is behind you and think this is amazing!

So I reached Glasgow at midnight Friday and am spending a few rest days here to recoup and plan some more of the walk.

Yesterday the total raised so far passed £1000, which is just awesome! and thank you again to anyone on here who has contributed so far.

Climbing Ben Nevis was incredible. Possibly my fav thing so far, but I'm seeing some fantastic scenery and meeting some cool people along the way. You can see pics from my journey so far on Instagram @ocdwalk, and my progress on Twitter of the same name.

@Eddage, I don't think I'll be taking much, if any of the South West coast of Wales, but I will be taking the North Wales coastal path over to Snowdon, before heading back in to follow Ofa's Dyke down through central Wales, before cutting back across into England. Join me for any or as much of that as you want to man. Come climb Snowdon.

Again, thanks guys, love being a part of this community and I hope to meet as many of you as I can along the way.

I'd stay in Scotland if I were you. It's absolute carnage down here right now.

Lol, I know right :p could be better off up here.

I spent the first couple of hours Sunday morning just with The Andrew Marr Show and then Sunday politics on. It's engrossing.

@Eddage, I don't think I'll be taking much, if any of the South West coast of Wales, but I will be taking the North Wales coastal path over to Snowdon, before heading back in to follow Ofa's Dyke down through central Wales, before cutting back across into England. Join me for any or as much of that as you want to man. Come climb Snowdon.

Again, thanks guys, love being a part of this community and I hope to meet as many of you as I can along the way.

I meant the South West Coast Path of England! Didn't know if you planned on walking along the Cornish south coast or north coast.

I meant the South West Coast Path of England! Didn't know if you planned on walking along the Cornish south coast or north coast.
lol oh right yeah! Yep SW coastal path the whole way from Charmouth/Lyme Regis.

lol oh right yeah! Yep SW coastal path the whole way from Charmouth/Lyme Regis.

Awesome, well like I said if I can I'd love to join you for a few days/week when you get to Plymouth.

I know it's still early but do you have a rough schedule of when you'll be around there? It will be right near the end so I'm guessing some time in August?

Awesome, well like I said if I can I'd love to join you for a few days/week when you get to Plymouth.

I know it's still early but do you have a rough schedule of when you'll be around there? It will be right near the end so I'm guessing some time in August?

Yep I'm imagining end of August. Also if you want to do Snowdon, would be cool.

Sign in to follow this