NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Dragon Quest Builders

You can add me to the list of people that don't care for Minecraft, but like this game. :hehe:

Really want to get it as soon as possible, but am going to try and play through Paper Mario Color Splash and also finish Severed before picking up Dragon Quest Builders.

I experimented a bit more with the building gameplay last time I played the demo though, and created an underground room in my town. It featured a secret door to access a tunnel I dug, which could be used to enter/leave town undetected by monsters. :D

Also made a two-storey building, complete with staircase access between both floors.

It's great how you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want in this. icon14.gif

Can you do that game-specifically or is it a system wide thing you'd have to change every time? Dunno how I missed this post earlier but I certainly had a similar issue regarding key bindings(all felt a bit strange to me).
Well, the button mapping thing I mentioned earlier didn't really work out as it is indeed a system-wide thing (which obviously doesn't change the in-game prompts), so although it felt nicer to play with the X and O buttons swapped, it ended up being even more confusing. :heh:

Sure I'll get used to the default setup after a while though.

Game arrived today and I played this a little bit now. Seems like a fun game. Two things I really like is the universal backpack and upgrading walls and floors without tearing them down. Will take a lot of boring chore out of the game. Don't know how far you can make it in the demo, but I took these pictures illustrating how to upgrade walls and floors. Simply slap it into the part of wall you want upgrade.

14524979_10209070976345266_2297630452657022865_o.jpg

14608719_10209070976305265_2740904100440408358_o.jpg

Towns first official bench.

14566444_10209070976265264_1771081448144140740_o.jpg

I don't know if it's because it is still yet unreleased, but the trophy list is in Japanese :p I have two other English language games with Japanese trophy list that were never translated, both Atelier games.

Edited by Tales

Hmm. Constantly tempted. The demo never went beyond just using earth so the upgrading thing is interesting. How much time would you say you've put in so far @Tales, and any issues bugging you about it at all?

The demo mostly focused on building with a tad bit of exploring to recruit a dude. Nothing too much on fighting off heavy attacks on the town or anything, mostly just teaching about the range of building/rooms etc.

EDIT: Remembered one of my other main issues- text size is terrible on this! I don't know why they go all HD then go for miniscule text like I spent my time sat right up close with my nose to the TV. Admittedly I may be exaggerating slightly but even a 32" at a meter or two is hard to read for me on this.

Edited by Rummy

Its interesting. Reading the posts from those of you who didn't like Minecraft and are liking what they are playing/hearing about this, as someone who loves Minecraft and the freedom I'm actually slightly worried. Its just things like the low build ceiling and the more structured nature that put me off a bit. I know there's a free build mode but I feel like some of the rules will have bled into that from the normal singleplayer.

We'll see anyway. Hopefully my copy will be dispatched soon.

Hmm. Constantly tempted. The demo never went beyond just using earth so the upgrading thing is interesting. How much time would you say you've put in so far @Tales, and any issues bugging you about it at all?

The demo mostly focused on building with a tad bit of exploring to recruit a dude. Nothing too much on fighting off heavy attacks on the town or anything, mostly just teaching about the range of building/rooms etc.

EDIT: Remembered one of my other main issues- text size is terrible on this! I don't know why they go all HD then go for miniscule text like I spent my time sat right up close with my nose to the TV. Admittedly I may be exaggerating slightly but even a 32" at a meter or two is hard to read for me on this.

5-7 hours or so I think.

I can't think of any major issues really. The building is better than Minecraft in my opinion. Beside easier upgrading, it's also a lot easier to build over empty air. Just press L1/R1 to aim below and above you. No need to carefully stand on the edge and turn 180 degrees to hit the side of the block you're standing on like in Minecraft. Just L1 and and Square. Hold L1 and repeatedly press square to continue making more blocks in a line. By holding L1, ie aiming down, you don't run the risk of putting blocks in your path. Is great when making roof of or simple bridges.

I guess you learned that doublestack build in the demo. Next time I play I should test if you can hold a square and move left or right to build a wall.

Fending off attacks have been simple so far, and the villagers are strong enough that I don't have to do anything if I don't want to. Really should patch that hole in the wall because the villagers keep rushing out so the enemies don't run into the spikes and fire. Should be a command to tell them to stay in the base until the monsters breach the wall.

You can't make mines unlike Minecraft, which I don't miss at all when I think about it. There are plenty of larger mines you can explore for ores and stuff though.

The blueprints and types of rooms are nice. Great for the uncreative :p You don't have to follow them exactly, they basically just tells you what the room needs to function, like a blacksmith needs a forge and mason's table, but you can make them larger and add lighting and chests and more if you want.

Its interesting. Reading the posts from those of you who didn't like Minecraft and are liking what they are playing/hearing about this, as someone who loves Minecraft and the freedom I'm actually slightly worried. Its just things like the low build ceiling and the more structured nature that put me off a bit. I know there's a free build mode but I feel like some of the rules will have bled into that from the normal singleplayer.

We'll see anyway. Hopefully my copy will be dispatched soon.

The birds eye third person view does make getting the camera in small rooms problematic. But you can make ceilings and closed of rooms, but the rooms should be bigger than what you probably made in Minecraft. I made a room five blocks high and with some nudging of the camera I can make it enter. Once the camera is inside it works nicely. Can take pictures later if anyone wants.

I see! Thanks for the reply! I never played Minecraft so don't know to compare the building style - once I got used to this it was quite easy(as you say, double-stacking and moving with the build buttton down easily lets you do a line of bricks without too much fiddling). I'm not sure it's something I'll be picking up at full-price due to general budgets atm, but I'm gonna keep my eye on it and maybe get it around xmas depending what it's going for then - I've still got plenty to play for my PS4 plus a heavy SNES hankering atm(not to mention one of the PS4 titles is Dragon Quest Heroes too).

The birds eye third person view does make getting the camera in small rooms problematic. But you can make ceilings and closed of rooms, but the rooms should be bigger than what you probably made in Minecraft. I made a room five blocks high and with some nudging of the camera I can make it enter. Once the camera is inside it works nicely. Can take pictures later if anyone wants.

Sorry I meant world ceiling. Its something like 9 blocks high right?

Sorry I meant world ceiling. Its something like 9 blocks high right?

I can test that later today, how tall you can build, but my forge is 6 blocks high with the ceiling, with a 5 block tower on top of it. And I saw building you get to in the story that must have been 30+ block high.

I'll try and find the article that spoke about it

Here we go:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-03-how-japans-best-loved-rpg-is-bringing-structure-to-those-paralysed-by-choice

It wasn't 9 blocks, it was 30. Not nearly as bad as I originally mentioned but it doesn't change my point. However, my point is still just based around stuff I've read and not played so hopefully I'll be nice and happy next week.

This is how far I could go. Didn't count but I guessing around 20-25 blocks.

14608914_10209077287823049_7180000345738965879_o.jpg

Edited by Tales

I grabbed this yesterday (Vita version) and whilst I've not yet progressed too far, little more than where the demo ends, I am absolutely loving it.

Really enjoying the little quests that you get sent out on and the NPC interactions but I really need to start sorting out my little town, well, it's not close to even a hamlet yet :p. I started out by slapping a few buildings here and there but as time has gone on I realised that I need to put a little more thought into things. So I've taken a little break from questing so that I can go on a full properly thought out rebuild, especially as I've expanded my recipes a little more.

It really is a perfect chill out game and I love nothing more than relaxing/idling in the middle of my settlement admiring my handiwork as the evening draws in, barring the odd enemy invasion of course, even if it means I'm getting very little done.

Edited by ThePigMarcher

I finally got around to playing the demo and really wasn't feeling it. It feels very restrictive compared to MineCraft and especially awkward to control when not in a first person view, it feels like the difference between Super Mario 64/Sunshine to 3D Land/World in terms of how it compares so if someone is just after a creative building experience then this is not it.

But then I realise this is meant to be more than just an MC alternative. From what I played I can see where the appeal is, especially as from what I can gather this has a full story with people that you can help etc, but it's not for me.

Tempted but feel I may play it more on vita.

Seems to be that type of pick up and play game.

The Vita version is now on sale for £19.99 on PSN.

Borrowed this from a mate.

And I'm not feeling it. :( 

Reached the first chapter's boss and it's just annoying. I actually found everything annoying. Building, gathering, fighting, quests, exploration...everything annoyed me. ::shrug: 

Does it get better with later chapters?

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Reached the first chapter's boss and it's just annoying. I actually found everything annoying. Building, gathering, fighting, quests, exploration...everything annoyed me. ::shrug: 

Later chapters have similar structure so if you're not enjoying it now you won't later.

Hm...

I just finished Chapter 1. I think I rushed it, because I wanted to get better equipment early. I missed 4 challenges. Only managed to do the speed challenge. 

I'll take my time with Chapter 2 and actually create a nice city. My first town was horrible :D 

8 hours ago, drahkon said:

Wait...you're playing this now? I thought you were playing Yakuza 0...and Final Fantasy X...and various retro games on your Vita....and Apex Legends. I'm now starting to see why you have many an unfinished game. :D  :p 

• Haha 1

I'm actually trying to find a single player game that I want to focus on. Non of the games I'm playing right now manage to grab me 100%.

Edited by drahkon

10 hours ago, drahkon said:

Unfortunately not, if anything it gets worse!

I really wanted to love this game (especially after the demo made such a great first impression) but it's just designed in such an annoying way. :( A real shame too, as it's got a lot of good stuff going for it. I'm hoping the sequel is more enjoyable.

• Sad 1

Yeah, sorry @drahkon, as others have said, if you haven't enjoyed the first chapter, you probably won't enjoy the rest of the game.  Personally, I loved it, but you have to like playing games a certain way.  For example, it takes time to get your head around collecting every material - not just the treasure, but the actual chests too!  And it's more enjoyable if you play about with different room designs, as better rooms give you more buffs.  Unfortunately it's not for everyone, but I do think it's a great game.

• Like 1

A definitive version of Builders is coming to Steam on Feb 13th! 

Neat! 

Wonder if that includes the Switch exclusive stuff?

Edit: It does.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this