NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Twilight

Exclusive Sonic for Revolution?

From IGN:

January 19, 2006 - Sources close to SEGA have told IGN Revolution that the developer is working on a new entry into the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise for Nintendo's next generation console. The title, purportedly developed by a "top-tier" SEGA team led by Yuji Naka, will not be a port of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game tentatively dubbed "Sonic the Hedgehog [next gen]." Instead, say insiders, it is an entirely original effort designed from the ground up to take advantage of Revolution's unique controller. No further details are available at this time.

While it's easy to shrug this news off as a no-brainer, it is nevertheless an important development because it suggests that powerhouse publishers are thinking about ways to make innovative games on Nintendo's upcoming platform rather than just porting over dumbed down versions of their Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 projects. Furthermore, one source we spoke with alleged that they have known about a Revolution Sonic the Hedgehog game for at least two months, which indicates that it isn't a freshly hatched concept. We're keeping our fingers crossed that something might show at E3 2006, which explodes this May in Los Angeles.

More than a decade ago, SEGA and Nintendo were big rivals, but in recent times the companies have enjoyed a fruitful partnership. Sonic Team chose to make GameCube the official home of its hedgehog mascot, releasing ports of its hit Dreamcast titles as well as wholly original Sonic efforts for the system. Meanwhile, Nintendo contracted SEGA developers like Amusement Vision to co-create GCN efforts such as F-Zero GX. The Big N's own Shigeru Miyamoto even entertained the idea of a mascot cross-over, in which Sonic could partner or square off against stars including Mario or Luigi. It is, therefore, not surprising that SEGA would continue to throw extra support Nintendo's way.

Representatives for SEGA of America could not be reached in time for publish.

IGN Revolution reminds readers that this information could not yet be substantiated and therefore should not be taken as an official confirmation.

We'll update with more on the story as information becomes available.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/682/682320p1.html

Sounds great but surely a NiGHTS remake would work great with the new Revo style of play. Get your fingers out Sega!!!!

Wow that is really great news if it turns out to be true.

Not only the fact that we'll get an exclusive game designed for the controller is interesting but it also indicates that Sega thinks Revo will do pretty well, otherwise they could just port the X-360/PS3 version using the shell.

Yeah, Nights would be perfect for Revolution, but I think a Sonic game could also be a blast.

More than a decade ago, SEGA and Nintendo were big rivals, but in recent times the companies have enjoyed a fruitful partnership. Sonic Team chose to make GameCube the official home of its hedgehog mascot, releasing ports of its hit Dreamcast titles as well as wholly original Sonic efforts for the system. Meanwhile, Nintendo contracted SEGA developers like Amusement Vision to co-create GCN efforts such as F-Zero GX. The Big N's own Shigeru Miyamoto even entertained the idea of a mascot cross-over, in which Sonic could partner or square off against stars including Mario or Luigi. It is, therefore, not surprising that SEGA would continue to throw extra support Nintendo's way.

This bit is what made me smile. I was always an adament nintendo fan, but at the same time held a soft spot for sonic. (i remember the days of HUGE rivalries).

I didnt know that sonic team made nintendo its home base, and i would quite like to see some mascot crossovers. anyone for sonic in a smash bros game? *grins* now that would be cool.

anyway, back onto the main topic. using the gyroscopic controls for a sonic game would be quite interesting... (in a good way). im entertaining the idea of speeding through a forest (trees wizzing past) where a flick of the wrist is whats needed to stop sonic careering through an oak...

i will admit that im not sold on the controller, and have bagged it out in other threads. but this is the first 'mainstream' game that i think could implement the controller in an effective, and not annoying way.

...but this is the first 'mainstream' game that i think could implement the controller in an effective, and not annoying way.

Wholly crap Rav!! Did I just read that correctly?? :shock: After the chat we had on MSN the other night, I thought you'd never be converted.

To think a non Nintendo game has made you think again, even if you're still not sure of it ;). (And even though this is 100% not confirmed...)

this would be brilliant. but i think it could be a new format that the sonic franchise hasn't really gone into before. i would love a totally new type of sonic game.

I guess what I said in this thread I done was correct in a way. http://www.revo-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3699&page=3&pp=25

This is what I said about Sonic on the Revolution.

3) Is there any chance of Skies of Arcadia II or Shenmue III on Rev? ..or what do you know about what Sega is developing that you can share with us?

I don't know much on what Sega is working on but I can say that Sonic will becoming to the Revolution. There is also talk that they are making an unique/different game.

4) As I said, Sonic is coming to the Revolution, whether it's the same title as the 360/PS3 is up in the air. But I have heard of Sega experimenting with using the freehand controller to control the speed and nunchuk joystick for the movement. Don't know how it turned out though.

Awesome news if true and a testament to the genius of the controller from a business perspective. Look at all these exclusives Nintendo is gathering. While Sony and Microsoft have to share the wealth on Sonic Next, Resident Evil 5, etc.., Nintendo gets its own seperate library and validates owning a second console.

It's certainly a distinct possibility. Ninty and Sega certainly have been rather chummy of late, and it would be great to see this relationship bare such sweet fruit.

Nintendo gets its own seperate library and validates owning a second console.
Very true!

The Big N's own Shigeru Miyamoto even entertained the idea of a mascot cross-over, in which Sonic could partner or square off against stars including Mario or Luigi.
I'd forgotten about the interviews that turned up 6 months or so ago, in NOM (I think) and on the web from Sega, saying that a Mario-Sonic game was almost a guarantee for the future, the two companies were in talks and just trying to decide on an idea for a game that would best suit it!!

Maybe the third secret is that Revo is a SEGA and a Nintendo console. Or not. I wasnt too fond of the 2D sonics and Sonic Heroes is if not one then the worst game I've ever played.

The only game that could fit the new controller?? :shock: :shakehead

I´m now 24 years old and I´ve used to play games with a D-pad/stick in my left and the buttons in my right hand since I was 7 years old. The first game that i had was an Iceclimber-like game on these little Nintendo-lcd-pocket-games. Then I had to have a NES. I worked on it until I could beat Megaman 1,2,3.... without loosing one live from beginning to the end of these games in one rush! Same for Mario 1 2 and 3. Metroid was harder though, but never mind.

But what i want to say is that i don´t know anybody who could beat me in tekken or soulcalibur. Same for all games with high usage of different buttons.

Racing games i´m really baaaad at!! :woops:

So for me it´s really exciting to learn a new controlstyle even if it´s harder to use in the beginning. So what can xboxgames give me? Not much, because I know from the beginning that I´m gonna do that game without learning the skills to beat the ENDBOSS. Some games only last one night to go through!

I want a longer learning curve again!

Hopefully Nintendo will bring games that not only fit the controllstyle on old genres but new ones that will be initial different!! That´s the way you have to think! Imagine a Sherlock holmes game where you´re really going to pick up a glass and turn it around in front of your eyes responsive to the contoller movements to search for fingertips or something like that. I mean directly manipulating gameobjects, not pressing a-button when a screen like "uncover" appears. I´m really looking forward and I´m glad Nintendo took this path. I can spend 100 € in a gamecenter on a lightgungame but buying games anymore for current consoles I would only get RPG´s and actionadventures perhaps one hack´n´slay-game for decreasing my inner aggressions! :shock: :hmm::shakehead:angry::bouncy::D;)

I wish we'd get all games. You hear this Capcom and Sega!?...We want Resi 5 and the normal Sonic too!!!

So for me it´s really exciting to learn a new controlstyle even if it´s harder to use in the beginning. So what can xboxgames give me? Not much, because I know from the beginning that I´m gonna do that game without learning the skills to beat the ENDBOSS. Some games only last one night to go through!

I want a longer learning curve again!

I agree!

With the end of the 'current' generation and especially moving into next generation, there are more and more examples of games where you feel like 'I've played this game before', or you know exactly how to go about beating a game because the style/gameplay is so familiar to another game/series. Therefore there is NO DOUBT that whilst it was probably a fantastic game, your enjoyment has been lessoned to some extent! You no longer find certain games/genres challenging.

I'd love that extra difficulty, that something different, something that makes me think about how to approach a game/genre as though it's the first of its kind and it's totally new thinking!

I really don't want the same old games with updated and updated and updated graphics!!

Even if certain games don't make it on to the Rev; such as may be the case with Resi 5? I've played Resi 4 and how different is it REALLY going to be?

Thinking about it; I'd much rather play something TOTALLY unique from Nintendo, which will take me some time and skill to learn, or a brand new style of Resi from Capcom.

I think Nintendo are totally right in offering something NEW and refreshing, and I thank them for it!! Because without the Revolution, next-gen would be looking decidedly boring!!

Almost certain there will be an exclusive sonic game for revo.

I definitly would not be suprised if samba de amigo makes a return...

Almost certain there will be an exclusive sonic game for revo.

I definitly would not be suprised if samba de amigo makes a return...

Yep....2 player only though...2 controllers each ;)

it seems like alot of developers are or will make a multi platform (360 and ps3) and then an original game for the rev to utilise the controller and whatever other secret functionality the rev might have.. whilst a gimmicky control mechanic.. or using the fhc for something pointless and repetitive is something to be wary of i don't see how this can be anything but good news.. every 3rd party title will be an exclusive! and every fanboy knows that the more 3rd party exclusive's the better right? :P :)

I wish we'd get all games. You hear this Capcom and Sega!?...We want Resi 5 and the normal Sonic too!!!

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

Just because the Revoltion will use a different control system, doesn't mean that it's games should be made entirely out of exclusives, if not for the most part exclusives. I'm a little worried that devlopers might not see Revolution as another system to host their Multi-Platform games on. The shell would remain kind of useless if developers are not to bring their Games over on to Revolution as well as 360 and PS3. The shell should allow traditional control, so I see no reason why the developers should just turn away, of course, maybe because no shell is really public, they're holding off on releasing info of a Revolution version of already PS3/Xbox 360 titles.

I don't hate exclusives, but they'll need to make sure there's a good portion of Multi-Platformers, or else people will think "This games on 360/PS3, but it's not on Revolution, I guess I'll buy a PS3/Xbox 360".

Bit off topic, but Hero-of-Time, shouldn't your sig say "wield the master sword" rather than yield?

Wield: To handle (a weapon or tool, for example) with skill and ease.

Yield: To give over possession of, as in deference or defeat; surrender.

The Big N's own Shigeru Miyamoto even entertained the idea of a mascot cross-over, in which Sonic could partner or square off against stars including Mario or Luigi. It is, therefore, not surprising that SEGA would continue to throw extra support Nintendo's way.

ITs megaton all over again....

Sign in to follow this