NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ipaul

Radiohead

Radiohead recently released their 9th LP, A Moon Shaped Pool, so in light of that I thought I'd start this for a bit of general discussion. Like the band? Love them? Hate them? What about the new record?

Personally I love them, the new record is great return to form (after the misstep that was the King Of Limbs).

I was a big fan in the days of the Bends and Ok Computer but not so much since.

I tried listening to some of the songs from the new album and they did not immediately grab me. Having done that I went back and listened to come others from Kid A and Hail to the Thief and enjoyed them a lot, which I had not previously liked.

What are the best songs on the new album in you opinion?

I am a fan of Radiohead although I think their last two albums are hit and miss. The song they did for James Bond's Spectre was fantastic though:

As for the new album, I'm happy to see True Love Waits on there but I think I prefer the original version. On the whole I quite enjoyed the album. It feels closer to their old sound than King of Limbs and In Rainbows.

What are the best songs on the new album in you opinion?

It's early days but the standouts so far for me are Burn The Witch, Ful Stop and True Love Waits.

The Kid A/Amnesiac era of Radiohead is really my jam but I love most of their stuff. The only albums I find meh are Pablo Honey and KOL.

I've been listening to A Moon Shaped Pool a hell of a lot since Sunday and I love it. I was a bit apprehensive during the build up to it, especially after the good-but-not-great King of Limbs, but it's absolutely a return to form.

Rankings? Today at least, I'd go with:

Kid A > OK Computer > A Moon Shaped Pool > In Rainbows > Amnesiac > Hail to the Thief > The Bends > The King of Limbs > Pablo Honey

I've not checked the new album yet.

But, The Bends beats everything else. Still my favourite Radiohead album and one of my favourites ever by any band.

Hnnnnnnnngggggg.

I like OK Computer most, and then The Bends, and then I've basically liked one or two songs since those two albums. I bought Kid A when it first came out and didn;t know that it was going to be such a drastic change in pace from OK Computer and was like ...

I've just listened to most of the new album, and it's so dirgey, and boring. There's an issue with bands that stay together for years; if they play the same sort of music and never change then they'll be accused of a lack of progression, but if they change they risk alienating fans of earlier stuff. I'm out, and need to stop kidding myself that they're going to ever be like they were in 1997. :(

I found the album boring and repetative on the first listen but on further listens it's definitely growing on me. Especially Identikit, Present Tense and some others.

I really disliked King of Limbs, especially the opening track which made my brain hurt. But I do love Codex.

I guess my ranking of their albums would be...

In Rainbows

OK Computer

Hail to the Thief

Amnesiac

Kid A

A Mood Shaped Pool

The Bends

King of Limbs

Pablo Honey

They're probably one of the only bands I can think of whose debut is never that highly rated compared with their later stuff.

Sign in to follow this