NEurope
Cube

Comic Cons

I figured it was worth a new thread for general discussion of conventions and stuff instead of just posting in the "How Was Your Day?" one.

Anyway, today I went to the Wales Comic Con, one of the smaller ones. I actually prefer it a lot more to the bigger ones in London due to the more casual nature of it - with most of the guest you can go and have a chat with zero intention of getting an autograph (that you have to pay for).

The main ones my group went to see were James Marsters and Amber Benson (I managed to finish Buffy last night, too). Both were great, but Amber was brilliant due to how she was with a friend's kid (who is a big Buffy fan). I got an autograph from Mark Meer (Male Shepard from Mass Effect) and we spoke with a few random people from Game of Thrones, One Upon and Time and Walking Dead.

9MZk0g4.jpg

Oh, and we stood right next to Jason Mamoa (Ronan from Stargate Atlantis), but we weren't in his queue as it seemed a bit rude to join a large queue when none of us were getting an autograph. He's quire formidable. Still, pretty much all the guests were great, even when you were there for a chat.

As usual, there were lots of great cosplayers, including a great Chewbacca (he was immensely tall) and a Bumblebee who had a radio built into his costume. I don't have many pictures as someone else was sorting them out.

What are your experiences with comic cons?

Edited by Cube

That. Sounds. Awesome!

you were right next to Aquaman!

Never been to a convention before myself, but I'm debating as to whether or not I should go to Star Wars Celebration in London for a day in July.

I've been to 5 cons, 3 in Telford and 2 in Birmingham over the past 5 years. I tend to find no matter how much money I take I always spend it all.

Also the earlier you go, the busier it is. This year we went at 11am rather than around when it opened for early access and it was far easier to get around, however that might be because they used more of the hall space this year, brought £150 and it all went, no matter what you plan for you'll always find something unexpected you have to have.

Used to go in cosplay but not anymore, would rather enjoy the great costume others make rather than the ones I buy and fall apart after 2 visits.

I've been to a few to do coverage but honestly they become overwhelming and claustrophobic for me. Need to take regular breaks outside if I do go.

I've been to the Birmingham one twice, and i loved it. It's just such a nice atmosphere. Everyone is just there because they love that sort of culture, and everyone is having a good time.

I don't really buy anything once i'm there, but i enjoy looking around and spotting cool costumes and stuff.

I used to go to the Milton Keynes Collectormanias with @Goafer until they moved to the MK stadium and it just wasn't as good and way too cramped. We are off to the Birmingham MCM this November though which I'm really looking forward to.

I've only ever actually queued up to meet two celebs before, Jewel Staite and Summer Glau to get Firefly stuff signed but its always funny when you just bump into them as they're walking around the places. Had that happen with Ben Browder, Christopher Judge and Maggie Grace.

I went to my first one in Newcastle in March, but I wasn't particularly impressed. There wasn't anyone at the panels I wanted to meet.

There was some retro game stalls that had some cool stuff, but I didn't end up buying anything. Was tempted to buy a SNES but I might just get a Super Famicom.

Everyone else I could get online so didn't end up buying anything.

I've been to quite a few, the MCM comicon in London, the Film & Comicon London, the MCM in Manchester, one in Sheffield and last month i went to FCD (Out of the Ashes) in Telford, the smallest one i've been to and strangely the best; It was very odd to interact with the stars they had there casually, especially finding yourself at the bar drinking with them, J G Hertzler (Martok in DS9) is a crazy man.

My friend is trying to convince me to book the SciFi Ball next year, i'm leaning towards yes

Never been, would like to go. Definitely cosplay - provided I can pay someone else a small fortune to make the shit for me.

I've been to 2 in London and 1 in Birmingham back in 2008-2009, and recently attended a few local one's here in North Wales. I can't imagine going down to the the big conventions nowadys as I'm sure the amount of people who attend have doubled or tripled! Like Cube, I enjoy the casual nature of the smaller local con, plus I don't have to book train tickets or a hotel :grin:

Had a lot of fun at Wrexham on Sat. Cosplayed as Han Solo and shouted out "Ben!" whenever I saw a Kylo Ren cosplayer, met Veronica Taylor, the voice of Ash Kethchum and Xander Berkley, 24's George Mason, attended some interesting panels and enjoyed browsing the stalls, identifying cosplayers and playing a few video games.

Some pics :-

CgzQcDdWkAAkv-N.jpg:large

Cg1Rfm1WYAMYrrb.jpg