NEurope
Shorty

House buying is the worst

nah that'd be something you do yourselves. Sometimes the surveys can be a bit over the top.

Mine told me i needed a new back and front door, i only really needed a new back door.

When you move in get a sparky to come in and check the place over (i did with mine), chances are it may not be as severe as the survey suggests.

When you move in get a sparky to come in and check the place over

I legit thought you meant your cat.

Seems we will be waiting a bit longer on our house, the vendors let us know last week that their purchase fell through, so they now have to look for another house to buy themselves. Boooh. They said they will try to find one that is not in a chain, so hopefully that will help.

Question by the way, we had the Homebuyer's Survey done and there are some things they suggest need doing in the house (one of them being quite urgent, replacing the electrical system; and one a bit less urgent, having a water valve replaced to turn off the main water supply).

Would it be acceptable for us to ask the vendors to get this sorted before we exchange? If so, would our solicitor be the one to ask them to do this or do we have to do it? I'd rather not ask them myself, but I don't know if this is something a solicitor would do. :P

As EEVIL says they'd probably have to be things you do yourself - though you could see if given the fall through and the issues if there's any money you can get off; but I'd say it's unlikely.

I had Homebuyers Reports done on two houses, one I didn't end up with(had a number of 2s/3s though, notably evidence of prevous woodworm which I almost got a further survey out of) and the one I did end up with(still had 2s/3s but less so) - I've been here 2 and a half years now and I've not done any of them. House is still ticking over fine.

Houses are old, they're not perfect, I'd be interesting in seeing what the general average stats are of HBRs on the whole. I think sometimes the HBR was just another way to be creating some business and work and ticking boxes - no Surveyor will err on the side of caution due to liability, and everyone seems to 'highly encourage' you to do one but really you can't seem to enforce much out of one unless there's a super terrible problem - or at least that's my opinion anyway.

BUT - in no way take my word as gospel. I only had 2 HBRs done, I've only owned one property. I can't really say it's a full position to judge, but I know that if I buy again in future I probably won't care quite as much now.

I legit thought you meant your cat.

Haha i did think that myself :D

As EEVIL says they'd probably have to be things you do yourself - though you could see if given the fall through and the issues if there's any money you can get off; but I'd say it's unlikely.

I had Homebuyers Reports done on two houses, one I didn't end up with(had a number of 2s/3s though, notably evidence of prevous woodworm which I almost got a further survey out of) and the one I did end up with(still had 2s/3s but less so) - I've been here 2 and a half years now and I've not done any of them. House is still ticking over fine.

Houses are old, they're not perfect, I'd be interesting in seeing what the general average stats are of HBRs on the whole. I think sometimes the HBR was just another way to be creating some business and work and ticking boxes - no Surveyor will err on the side of caution due to liability, and everyone seems to 'highly encourage' you to do one but really you can't seem to enforce much out of one unless there's a super terrible problem - or at least that's my opinion anyway.

BUT - in no way take my word as gospel. I only had 2 HBRs done, I've only owned one property. I can't really say it's a full position to judge, but I know that if I buy again in future I probably won't care quite as much now.

Absolutely agree. I had loads of 2s, and a couple of 3s as my electrics and oil heating had no certificates of some description. Electrics are completely fine. Something needed updated in the electrics panel for shower connection, to bring it in line with current legislation, but it wasn't dangerous. The oil burner just needed a service, everything was totally safe.

Like @Rummy said its all a liability thing, you can't turn around n say o you didnt tell me this, etc. And my sisters was exactly the same.

I need to get my outside drains flushed out, they are almost completely blocked. One outside of kitchen my dad went into and it has some sewage run through as well. So safe to say a lot of retching done in that job. Just hasn't been looked after when it was a renters house. Having to get someone in to flush the other one through and finish the kitchen one, not a job I want my poor dad to do :-(

Thanks guys! I guess I was just getting a bit worried about it, the way they word these things makes it sound like the house could fall apart at any moment. :P

I think the electrics was the only 3 they had, think it just hasn't been checked in a long time and the fuse box is old or something, so would need replacing. They said it was below current standards. Hopefully won't be too difficult/costly to replace.

There were a few 2's but nothing major, the water valve that needs replacing, boiler needs to be checked, flat roof bit that might need doing at some point... stuff like that. Nothing too urgent I hope.

Sent the survey off to the solicitor as it mentioned a few things they need to check. Hope they reply soon, as they have been very quiet as of late...

I had my fuse box replaced. And loads of other wee bits n pieces through the house (including 3 spotlights in kitchen) and it came to 180 inc the parts. Probably talking 100 as it was the biggest job he did. Mine was below standard for the shower element of it, he said it wasnt dangerous, was probably up to spec at the time, but as he was replacing it he had to do it to the right standard. Hope that helps :)

House renting is the worst. No agency is prepared to give me a tenancy because I haven't found a job yet and I haven't lived in the UK for 4 years and thus have no recent tenancy history. My girlfriend is starting uni in 2 weeks in Manchester and I have to pay either 6 months or a year up front just to be accepted. The UK and all this regulation sucks. Why can't the UK be more like Canada, where the tenant is king and the law is much more in their favour as opposed to the landlord / agent? :wtf:

Yeah the HBR really is pretty scary when you're buying your first place. My parents didn't help by telling me how terrible it all seemed(they happened to get a house with much less 'wrong' on it).

The big job on the electrics is the re-wire from what I understand - as long as it isn't the old rubber wiring though it won't need condemning(unfortunately apparently happened to someone at work when they got a spark in). If you're getting someone to update the fuse box etc then you might as well ask them to do a quick check of the electrics as they are now just to be sure there isn't anything hazardous - my brother found two things when I moved in which meant I lost a socket or two in the kitchen(deservedly so though), but otherwise he seemed to think everything was ok.

Also consider if the fuse box is getting done maybe having an isolator fitted if they're pulling the fuse to do the work anyway - I dunno why but my brother seems to like having them in houses lol. Basically just means for any future work that needs to be done on the fusebox/consumer unit or before it can be done without pulling the mains fuse (which can involve cutting the fuse seal, and some companies charge to re-seal even though it takes 2 seconds). My brother doesn't like pulling the fuses but most full-time sparks probably won't mind and may even re-seal when they aren't meant to but my brother doesn't tend to do much of the hands-on work day to day. I'd read up/learn a bit more about that though, as I haven't given the best idea of the thing!

House renting is the worst. No agency is prepared to give me a tenancy because I haven't found a job yet and I haven't lived in the UK for 4 years and thus have no recent tenancy history. My girlfriend is starting uni in 2 weeks in Manchester and I have to pay either 6 months or a year up front just to be accepted. The UK and all this regulation sucks. Why can't the UK be more like Canada, where the tenant is king and the law is much more in their favour as opposed to the landlord / agent? :wtf:

Maybe you need to look for more private options? I've found great places through word of mouth and on gumtree. Much fewer fees and generally better experience if you do get lucky and find one, too.

Our offer was accepted on the house!

Now i have to work out how the hell the buying process works!

Maybe you need to look for more private options? I've found great places through word of mouth and on gumtree. Much fewer fees and generally better experience if you do get lucky and find one, too.

Some of the best landlords I've had have been through gumtree, put out an advertisement if you can!

Some of the best landlords I've had have been through gumtree, put out an advertisement if you can!

I actually think I've managed to get a place through rightmove (was with an agency), sent off the fees for the credit checks today and offered to pay 6-months up front. I kind of had to.

I've only ever had bad experiences with private landlords through gumtree, unfortunately. I had two places in Leeds when I was a student which were awful. Both times I didn't get my full deposit back despite leaving everything in excellent condition... I had an agency tenancy when I moved back to York after uni, and despite being expensive (fees etc), it was much smoother than dealing with the landlord directly, especially when our boiler broke mid-winter and they paid for us to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights. It was -20 outside to be fair.

I really hope eveything goes through with this flat, it's a beautiful mill conversion just outside of Bolton and it was much bigger and more luxurious than anything for the same price in Manchester itself.

Nice one Jethro! Did you fork out any extra?

Nah stuck to our guns and they chose us anyway

I swear Mortgages and solicitors are designed to be a painful process

Well done Agent Gibbs, good luck with the purchase and the move if it all goes through! :)

I have finally heard back from the solicitors, after not having had any communication since end of July (with my emails from August and last week going without replies). I sent them another email today requesting to hear back from them today with an update. Finally got a reply from a different solicitor saying our one is away until September 20 (she was gone some time during July/August as well...).

She gave us an update and basically the vendor's solicitors have not given them a reply yet to things like the environmental search and other enquiries raised in July and August. Urghhhh.

The only positive news out of the email so far is that the vendors will arrange a boiler service before the move. However they are not prepared to do anything about the electrical installation.

I think I need to start looking at other houses again to see what else is available, as I'm worried this one will just keep dragging on... We made our offer at the end of May, and we are still waiting for anything to move forward now. :(

I actually think I've managed to get a place through rightmove (was with an agency), sent off the fees for the credit checks today and offered to pay 6-months up front. I kind of had to.

I've only ever had bad experiences with private landlords through gumtree, unfortunately. I had two places in Leeds when I was a student which were awful. Both times I didn't get my full deposit back despite leaving everything in excellent condition... I had an agency tenancy when I moved back to York after uni, and despite being expensive (fees etc), it was much smoother than dealing with the landlord directly, especially when our boiler broke mid-winter and they paid for us to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights. It was -20 outside to be fair.

I really hope eveything goes through with this flat, it's a beautiful mill conversion just outside of Bolton and it was much bigger and more luxurious than anything for the same price in Manchester itself.

No wonder, Manchester is quite expensive! (I say this when I live in Cambridge..)

It seems to be the luck of the draw. I had a wonderful landlord through gumtree and I wish I was still with her, but circumstances meant I had to move out. I've been with two agencies and one is ok and the other was a bit meh.

Fingers crossed for you though, piccies! :grin:

I made my offer in december, and didn't get until June. Beware you may have solicitors fees to pay at this stage if you back out.

Bought my house when I was 22, back in 2000. Paid £29k for it. It was fine for just me as I lived on my own for a while, but now my daughter is nearly 2, we're starting to need more room so I've decided to get the ball rolling on moving. Had some estate agents round last week to value the place, looking at about £80k. Got a mortgage advisor round tomorrow to see roughly how much we could borrow, obviously don't want to stretch ourselves but want somewhere nice.

So I'll be soon dealing with the headache of both buying and selling. Go me!

Bought my house when I was 22, back in 2000. Paid £29k for it.

Don't be ridiculous. Are you sure you didn't buy a car?

Don't be ridiculous. Are you sure you didn't buy a car?

Ha. Bought up north and before it all went crazy.

good move that was! Houses in northern ireland never peaked to quite the level a lot of the english cities did. I mean even in ballymena itself most houses are under 250k. Belfast (depending on the area) could be even cheaper. But then we dont have anywhere near the same job prospects. For me to be earning 20k is exceptional money for a 5 mile commute.

Got the keys to my first house yesterday. Fuck me it's stressful. Just decorating, tidying, getting the family to chip in. Then I've spent most of the night not sleeping because I'm thinking about what I've got to get done and bit of excitement creeping in.

Can't wait to get settled.