NEurope
Shorty

House buying is the worst

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but the lady who rented our house before we bought it let her cats piss everywhere. We got the keys about 4 months after she moved out and I swear the carpets were still damp. Horrid place. Better now though.

We had something similar, in the conservatory there were panes of acrylic which looks like they were going to be used to "double glaze" the glass in the conservatory but had been left there with cobwebs aplenty. Throwing them out I found behind it was a "Beware of the guinea pig" sign, complete with its shit everywhere. Not found the creature responsible yet. But I've kept the sign.

On the subject of signs, whilst shopping in B&Q for cork wall screws I got this bad boy for the bathroom:

http://www.diy.com/departments/the-house-nameplate-company-pvc-self-adhesive-toilets-sign-h50mm-w225mm/237156_BQ.prd

Still considering others like Private/Staff Only for the bedroom etc.

Wonder how you people who've recently bought a house are feeling about the referendum results and the potential fall in house prices / raise in interest rates? I'm planning on moving back to the UK in September and not looking forward to finding a place to live, even though I'll only be renting.

Wonder how you people who've recently bought a house are feeling about the referendum results and the potential fall in house prices / raise in interest rates? I'm planning on moving back to the UK in September and not looking forward to finding a place to live, even though I'll only be renting.

I am really concerned about this. We don't have our house yet but put an offer down which was accepted (just waiting for the vendors to find a place). Now I am worried about the mortgage rates going up and it possibly becoming too expensive for us to afford our house... especially if wages might get negatively affected too at some point in the future. :/

I was looking at Spanish properties earlier because it was raining today. 100,000 Euro can get a 2 bed flat with a shared swimming pool in Marbella. Wish I could upsticks and move.

I was looking at Spanish properties earlier because it was raining today. 100,000 Euro can get a 2 bed flat with a shared swimming pool in Marbella. Wish I could upsticks and move.

Yeah I looked at properties in the south of Italy before I left my last job and realised I could afford the deposit. But then realised I wouldn't have a regular income to afford the mortgage.

Yeah I looked at properties in the south of Italy before I left my last job and realised I could afford the deposit. But then realised I wouldn't have a regular income to afford the mortgage.

Key is to find a job where you can work from home. I'm down to 2-3 days a week in the office and it is fantastic.

Key is to find a job where you can work from home. I'm down to 2-3 days a week in the office and it is fantastic.

I left work to be self employed so I kind of did :heh:

Kelly and I are feeling optimistic that the rates will be alright when our mortgage repayments gets renewed in about 20 months. There was never any guarantee that the rates would be any better if we stayed in the EU.

Interest rates were at an all time low anyway, the only way they could go was up.

I am a bit concerned but not overly worried. I'm in for 5 years anyway.

I fear it may have a bit more of an effect here as there is a lot of fear in the troubles kicking off again with talks of a referendum for a united ireland. So y'know it doesn't affect the english much, but could have a massive impact here. Certain areas could see their values drop like a stone if they have an increased crime rate.

Oh also: i tested my internet and its better out here than it was in the town. Because i'm closer to a smaller exchange.

Edited by Raining_again

Oh also: i tested my internet and its better out here than it was in the town. Because i'm closer to a smaller exchange.

I drove past you about 5.45pm near the petrol station :awesome:

Enjoy your internet! I'm about 3 miles away and mine is terrible :heh:

According to samknowsbroadband - "You are approximately 0 metres from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!" I AM the exchange....!

The guy at plusnet compared the speeds at my old address and what I was to expect at new. Old was 15mb give or take, that was pretty dead on (about a mile from the BIG exchange in ballymena)

He said "oh youll get BETTER speeds at your new address" and i was like nah mate wise up @nekunando has terrible internet! but yeah turns out i have approx 20mb. I could have got fibre in ballymena, but not here. But TBH 20mb is enough for me just on my own... i'm not huge on downloading etc.

According to samknowsbroadband - "You are approximately 0 metres from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!" I AM the exchange....!

The guy at plusnet compared the speeds at my old address and what I was to expect at new. Old was 15mb give or take, that was pretty dead on (about a mile from the BIG exchange in ballymena)

He said "oh youll get BETTER speeds at your new address" and i was like nah mate wise up @nekunando has terrible internet! but yeah turns out i have approx 20mb. I could have got fibre in ballymena, but not here. But TBH 20mb is enough for me just on my own... i'm not huge on downloading etc.

Some good news today (after some bad stuff with our boiler breaking (fixed now) and my drawing tablet about to die); our mortgage application finally came through, yay! :D

I was worried we wouldn't get it for some reason, or that they wouldn't think the house was the value we offered. But it's come back now, which hopefully means things can start moving along. Maybe after this summer we will be in our own house. :o

Need to start figuring lots of things out, like internet, energy supplies, council tax, getting a builder in to put in some new doorways, getting a quote for a bathroom refit...

Some good news today (after some bad stuff with our boiler breaking (fixed now) and my drawing tablet about to die); our mortgage application finally came through, yay! :D

I was worried we wouldn't get it for some reason, or that they wouldn't think the house was the value we offered. But it's come back now, which hopefully means things can start moving along. Maybe after this summer we will be in our own house. :o

Need to start figuring lots of things out, like internet, energy supplies, council tax, getting a builder in to put in some new doorways, getting a quote for a bathroom refit...

I hate attempting to buy a house! it a bloody awful and unfair process

Myself and My Girlfriend have put an offer in on a house we loved, for the full asking price (because we knew they'd had a lower offer so made sure we'd beat it)

Well during the lovely 'waiting game' of seeing if your offer is accepted we get a phone call -" they've had another offer for the full asking price, from another couple who are also first time buyers. They like you as a couple but wondered would you consider upping you offer somewhat to make it easier for them to decide?"

Fucks sake might as well buy a house on ebay and bid snipe myself!

It really should be once an offer for the asking price is in thats it, not this bull crap gazumping

If they liked you as a couple, they'd just have accepted the offer surely?

My news: as of Sunday, we've owned our house for a year. Super proud of how much we've done and the fact that we've been paying the mortgage for a year and we're clearly ok financially.

Thats exactly what i think:angry:

Glad its worked out for you, think once you've survived a year its a good test and you should be A-okay

until the interest rates go sky high lol

I've been in my house for a few months now. All that legal rubbish is FINALLY behind me!!

I hate attempting to buy a house! it a bloody awful and unfair process

Myself and My Girlfriend have put an offer in on a house we loved, for the full asking price (because we knew they'd had a lower offer so made sure we'd beat it)

Well during the lovely 'waiting game' of seeing if your offer is accepted we get a phone call -" they've had another offer for the full asking price, from another couple who are also first time buyers. They like you as a couple but wondered would you consider upping you offer somewhat to make it easier for them to decide?"

Fucks sake might as well buy a house on ebay and bid snipe myself!

It really should be once an offer for the asking price is in thats it, not this bull crap gazumping

What did you do in the end?

Personally would've told them to bollocks, we picked that house at that price because we could afford it. Not lowball ourselves so that we'd have a little less over in case we need to grease dem wheels.

What did you do in the end?

Personally would've told them to bollocks, we picked that house at that price because we could afford it. Not lowball ourselves so that we'd have a little less over in case we need to grease dem wheels.

We haven't decided yet, we need to today. If we do up our offer slightly we're going £1000 at most more and that is it, if we loose it its fine

Had so much trouble sleeping over this, its just awful

It really depends on how much you want the house and how good a deal it is. I mean, if you don't think you'll ever find anywhere as good and you can afford to, go over by a bit.

But if it's not the one-and-only, don't do something you'll regret. I mean is it "perfect except for the area", or "perfect except for the garden size" or something like that? Are you in a rush? Remember there's surveys and solicitor fees to come, you'll need that extra cash soon. Tell them you love it and you wish you could offer more but you're already over your budget and you've stretched as far as you can.

^^ Very good advice from @Shorty. Really no point in breaking the bank over it. And those solicitors fees are on your before you know it (even with my flippin 6 month delay lol)

Seems we will be waiting a bit longer on our house, the vendors let us know last week that their purchase fell through, so they now have to look for another house to buy themselves. Boooh. They said they will try to find one that is not in a chain, so hopefully that will help.

Question by the way, we had the Homebuyer's Survey done and there are some things they suggest need doing in the house (one of them being quite urgent, replacing the electrical system; and one a bit less urgent, having a water valve replaced to turn off the main water supply).

Would it be acceptable for us to ask the vendors to get this sorted before we exchange? If so, would our solicitor be the one to ask them to do this or do we have to do it? I'd rather not ask them myself, but I don't know if this is something a solicitor would do. :P

You could try asking, but unless they'll be staying there for an extended period, I doubt that they'll rewire the whole house (or whatever the electrical fault is) and even if they did, the value of the house may have gone up by a small amount (going on previous example rewiring a house costs about £2-3,000)

I would recommend asking your solicitor if it is something they would consider asking. They must've been in a similar situation before.